Avenues For Improvement

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's easy.

You get an ERFA, you sign him to the minimum and see what happens. Next year, you tender him as much as you value him, presumably at the 2nd round level (assuming he has a good year.)

If he sticks to the year after that, then you can wring your hands about how much to offer him as a URFA.

Sorry I put that wrong, I'm more curious how the whole Lazard future will play out. His schedule/plan is as you described fairly locked in stone.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Good analysis.

I believe cornerback will be the number one priority for this team in the offseason. I have, however, been oh-so-wrong before.

You could be correct that it will be their #1 priority and they may end up not addressing it as such because of how things break. You just never know.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With Adam’s, Scantling and St. Brown coming up to contract expiration after 21 season, I’d be very surprised if another wide receiver plus a motion slot receiver isn’t drafted this year. This is the year to do it IMO, even if it means trading back a couple of times to get 12 picks in the hopper. The other side of the coin is that there are going to be a lot of unsigned mid and late career guys looking for work and they will be had for cheap after June 1.

Yeah, I could see them adding a guy for that motion role plus drafting a more traditional guy for the future.

This WR class is loaded again.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Very experienced and honestly very cheap contract IMO.

As for the three you listed, I suspect we see Adams for sure extended and unless MVS just absolutely explodes I sense a reasonable 3 year deal will get done with him as well. What I'm curious of is what we do with Lazard...he is a ERFA this year,
I could see a team friendly incentive laden 3-4 year extension for MVS yet this off season. Reduce his cap hit next season and sizable roster bonuses years 3&4.

D

Deleted member 6794

MLF's decision to go for 2 in the 3rd quarter had us chasing those points the rest of the game. IMO you don't go for 2 unless you absolutely have to.

It might have been a bit early to go for two but if EQ catches the ball everything is fine.

I could see a team friendly incentive laden 3-4 year extension for MVS yet this off season. Reduce his cap hit next season and sizable roster bonuses years 3&4.

The Packers couldn't reduce MVS' cap hit for next season by giving him any sort of signing bonus to re-sign though.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So given that the Packers are in a bit of a cap crunch this offseason, they probably won't be spending much on free agents. However, they might be able to afford a guy or two that end up being cheaper options. So who do those guys project to be? Here are some names.
  • Forrest Lamp, OL, Chargers: Athletic prospect who has failed to develop; Chargers suck with OL.
  • Dan Feeney, OL, Chargers: See above.
  • Ty Sambrailo, OL, Titans: Serviceable tackle with scheme familiarity.
  • Brian Hill, RB, Falcons: 25 yo was the best RB in Atlanta last year; played behind Gurley's contract.
  • Luke Stocker, TE, Falcons: Maybe a Y replacement for Lewis; familiarity with Petals.
  • Taywan Taylor, WR, Browns: Still only 26; best season came with LaFleur.
  • Daquan Jones, DL, Titans: Aging, but still a good, long run defenders.
  • Lawrence Guy, DL, Patriots: See above.
  • Derek Wolfe, DL, Ravens: See above.
  • Avery Williamson, LB, Steelers: Veteran LB presence to mix in with youth at the position.
  • Jordan Jenkins, ED, Jets: Underrated edge rusher who could emerge outside of New York.
  • Xavier Rhodes, CB, Colts: Rhodes bounced back with the Colts; plays well in zone.
  • Slot Corners: Cam Sutton, Mike Hilton, Mackensie Alexander, Brian Poole, K'Waun Williams, Troy Hill, Quinton Dunbar,

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Likely cap casualties that could attract their interest:
  • Janoris Jenkins, CB, Saints
  • Emmanuel Sanders, WR, Saints
  • Malcom Brown, DL, Saints
  • Joe Haden, CB, Steelers
  • Steven Nelson, CB, Steelers
  • Michael Brockers, DL, Rams
  • Rob Havenstein, OT, Rams
  • J.J. Watt, DL, Texans
  • Brandin Cooks, WR, Texans
  • Riley Reiff, OL, Vikings
  • Kyle Rudolph, TE, Vikings

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Likely cap casualties that could attract their interest:
  • Janoris Jenkins, CB, Saints
  • Emmanuel Sanders, WR, Saints
  • Malcom Brown, DL, Saints
  • Joe Haden, CB, Steelers
  • Steven Nelson, CB, Steelers
  • Michael Brockers, DL, Rams
  • Rob Havenstein, OT, Rams
  • J.J. Watt, DL, Texans
  • Brandin Cooks, WR, Texans
  • Riley Reiff, OL, Vikings
  • Kyle Rudolph, TE, Vikings

No joke Rudolph is a guy to kick the tires on if Lewis doesn't come back. I like our TE room with a veteran I know and trust, not too mention Rudolph is just an exception human being. He married a local girl that I share mutual friends with.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't it ironic that a traditional outside WR is so far down the list of things this offense needs?

The strengths that we have elsewhere mean that can take our time there and stick with guys like Lazard MVS and EQSB with the hope that they keep improving partly because of our Oline and the impact it has on the run and pass. Thats what some of our fans struggle with, all teams have holes but ideally your strengths are more than enough to make up for them.

IMO I would rather see a slash type upgrade for Tyler Ervin. Someone who scares defenses whenever he has the ball in space. So not a decoy but a **** **** where is he going now kind of player. Reggie Bush was never quite lived up to his promise as a running back in this league but as a motion man in an MLF offense a player like that would be a game breaker.

If there isn't someone that looks like he might have say Chris Johnson talent in the bottom of the first Id be looking at CB LB or OT, whichever one is the best.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No joke Rudolph is a guy to kick the tires on if Lewis doesn't come back. I like our TE room with a veteran I know and trust, not too mention Rudolph is just an exception human being. He married a local girl that I share mutual friends with.

Let's hope he doesn't find out. :)

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Totally agree. There are very few solutions for that position that I'm aware of, but he's one of them.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Special teams..they need better blocking, tackling and return guys. They should also find a more consistent punter. All those missed pats too..is that a snap or hold issue?

D

Deleted member 6794

No joke Rudolph is a guy to kick the tires on if Lewis doesn't come back. I like our TE room with a veteran I know and trust, not too mention Rudolph is just an exception human being.

Rudolph mentioned that he won't be granting any discounts entering next season so he might be too expensive for the Packers even if the Vikings decide to move on from him.

The strengths that we have elsewhere mean that can take our time there and stick with guys like Lazard MVS and EQSB with the hope that they keep improving partly because of our Oline and the impact it has on the run and pass.

If the Packers let Jones and Williams walk away in free agency the running game might not be able to cover up for a lack of talent at receiver anymore though.

Members online

Latest posts