Votes: 14 56.0%
  • 2010 Packers

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which offense was better?

The Wildcard-losing 2009 Packers or the Super Bowl Champion 2010 Packers?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cmon. 2009 there wasn't one game were we scored less than 24 points, I believe.
2010 there were games were our offense plain sucked. Washington. Miami. Detroit. Chicago.

Jermichael is a HUGE mismatch. Driver was playing lights out (tons of one handed catches). We had Grant for the whole time, and he was playing really well towards the end of the season.

Rodgers was better in the end of 2010, though. So was Jennings and the OL.

2011 is gonna rock. Full potential Rodgers (or close to it) + Full potential Finely + Full potential Jennings + Better OL + Starks + Grant?

I really wouldn't want to face us this season.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2010. I think we're better when Rodgers isn't forcing balls to Finley.
Cast your vote accordingly. Hard to argue with a Super Bowl winner.
But I think that "Finley Factor" we hear about is a misnomer. I think the stats demonstrate this. In 2009, Rodgers was sacked as often as Kim Kardashian is, and yet his stats were slightly better in almost all the stats.

I believe that 2009 offense was better, and had our defense not lost Al Harris (or had Sam Shields there), we would have gone thru the Cardinals, Saints, and Vikings and won that Super Bowl over the Colts. All we needed was our defense to have been better.

Now, in 2011, with Finley hopefully back, and the defense in it's 3rd year of the Dominator, and the injuries hopefully settling down, let's see a great season from start to finish and dominate with a 14-2 record and 3 playoff wins!!!

2009 RODGERS
350/541 4434 yards 64.7% 8.2 per throw 30 TD 7 Int 103.3 rating

2010 RODGERS
312/475 3922 yards 65.7% 8.3 per throw 28 TD 11 Int 101.2

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about the 2009 OL? I thought Rodgers spent way too much time on the ground. He was much better protected in 2010.
Yet in 09 we were the #3 offense averaging 28.8 points per game, whereas in 10 we were the #10, with a 24.2 point average.

The 2009 offense was 4.6 points per game better than the 2010 season.

The defense, on the other hand, was 3.6 points per game better, from 18.6 in 09 to 15 in 10.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Well, if the 2009 offense was able to pull those numbers (stats) in spite of the sack fest, then, yes, that team would be considered superior to that of 2010. I don't know what the stats were in 2010 but our offense during the latter part of the season & through the playoffs seemed unstoppable. (less a few episodes of butter fingers by J Jones)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO 2009 was “two seasons” for the offense – after Clifton and Tauscher returned to stabilize the OL so Rodgers could spend more time vertical that was a damn good offense. Most of the problems were on defense – remember the perpetually open hole in the middle of the defense? At least it was open for the good passing offenses the Packers faced. The ’09 team had a better running game – 9 more TDs on the ground and averaged one-half yard more per rush during the regular season and Rodgers threw fewer INTs.

- - -

The more I reflect on the 2010 season the more key Shields’ contribution seems. He was the reason Woodson could man the playmaker role. Shields went from WR to playing DB his last year of college to playing most of the downs on defense at CB. It's amazing other teams couldn’t take advantage of him - a raw rookie with a true shutdown corner on the other side of the field. I think it was coach Perry who asked Woodson before the season who he trusted as the #5 DB when they went to nickel and Woodson said "the kid". Peprah was solid too once Burnett went down. Without the contribution of those two…

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, Rodgers with Finley and a shakier OL was actually better than this year's Rodgers.
That's why I'm so excited to have Jermichael back, with hopefully a steady OL to protect him.
Also, we had a 1200-yard runner in Ryan Grant in 2009. Our running game needs to get back to that level to take some pressure off Rodgers (not mental pressure, but to keep guys from going after him every play assuming we aren't gonna run the ball).

The obvious difference between 09 & 10 was the defense got a lot better. Having 3 good CB's (with Shields added to Woodson and Tramon) was a huge difference. It makes you wonder what would have happened in 09 if Al Harris' knee hadn't blown up, because Tramon was the #3 CB at the time.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing: stats clearly show that the 2009 offense was better.
Now what's exciting about that is that our offense can improve from this Super Bowl year!
Just getting Jermichael Finley and Ryan Grant back is a huge bonus.... those are 2 legit playmakers that defenses must account for.

Rodgers is going to have his best season ever in 2011 TD-wise. He's going to blow up and challenge some of Favre's single-season records.

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think 2010 was better just because we won with all the injuries and they will only get better. The best part about 2010 was we took apart the Steeler's defense in a big game without out main TE and RB!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is really tough. The problem is the 2010 team won the SB and that is enough to overshadow the 2009 team. An SB trumps everything, I went with 2010. While the 2009 team certainly put up the stats, they failed to clinch the deal with a healthy roster. The 2010 team, mind you with 15 guys on IR, still managed to win the SB. Statistically, 2009 is the better team, but it just goes to prove to you that the best team doesn't always win the SB. That team lost what could of been another SB year, back to back.

So who is the better team? The one with the all the stats and talent that failed to win the SB or the one plagued with injuries but still had the heart and spirit to win the SB? It really depends what you put more of an emphasis on, stats or SB wins. Value and talent of individual players?

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
That is really tough. The problem is the 2010 team won the SB and that is enough to overshadow the 2009 team. An SB trumps everything, I went with 2010. While the 2009 team certainly put up the stats, they failed to clinch the deal with a healthy roster. The 2010 team, mind you with 15 guys on IR, still managed to win the SB. Statistically, 2009 is the better team, but it just goes to prove to you that the best team doesn't always win the SB. That team lost what could of been another SB year, back to back.

So who is the better team? The one with the all the stats and talent that failed to win the SB or the one plagued with injuries but still had the heart and spirit to win the SB? It really depends what you put more of an emphasis on, stats or SB wins. Value and talent of individual players?

Stats vs results I like that reasoning.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A SB trumps everything, I went with 2010.
While the 2009 team certainly put up the stats, they failed to clinch the deal with a healthy roster.

Statistically, 2009 is the better team, but it just goes to prove to you that the best team doesn't always win the SB. That team lost what could of been another SB year, back to back.

Remember, we who defended Rodgers against Favre and his legacy (prior to this Super Bowl title), didn't have that one Super Bowl to use in Rodgers' defense.
But it wasn't Rodgers fault that the 2008 team allowed punt & kick returns left & right, and that the 2009 defense allowed QBs like Warner, Favre, Big Ben to all look like 1985 Dan Marino. Rodgers did what he could better than almost any other QB. He can't play defense and can't kick, or cover punts and kicks.

So just because the team (defense) made big strides in 2010 and got this team a ring, it doesn't mean the offense was automatically better.

I think if our offense plays like it did in 2009, it will be improved from last year, and that gets me very excited!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember, we who defended Rodgers against Favre and his legacy (prior to this Super Bowl title), didn't have that one Super Bowl to use in Rodgers' defense.
But it wasn't Rodgers fault that the 2008 team allowed punt & kick returns left & right, and that the 2009 defense allowed QBs like Warner, Favre, Big Ben to all look like 1985 Dan Marino. Rodgers did what he could better than almost any other QB. He can't play defense and can't kick, or cover punts and kicks.

So just because the team (defense) made big strides in 2010 and got this team a ring, it doesn't mean the offense was automatically better.

I think if our offense plays like it did in 2009, it will be improved from last year, and that gets me very excited!

Agreed, when only looking at the offense and not factoring in the D's performance or special teams. In 2010 it was indeed the D that stepped up, I'm not even going to go down that road with special teams! If you look at it like that the offense in 2009 played better than 2010, statistically. Not taking anything away from the 2010 offense, who played brilliantly.

I'm also very excited about the future of our offense! We will be getting players back from IR! Players that we had in 2009 but we didn't have in 2010! And don't forget Starks and all the new guys from 2010 that stepped up!

This thread makes me feel good about our offense! We get the pleasure of sitting here and comparing two VERY good offensive lines trying to figure out which one is better and one of them won the SB! How many fans get the chance to do that?! :)

buckshotrob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2009 everyone was healthy for the most part but u cant argue with a super bowl title next year its a long shot but were goin 16-0 we are by far the best all around team and it ****** me off when we lose we can go toe to toe with any team out there

Reaction score
The 2009 offense:
Our oppenent's were easier (browns/lions/nfcwest) than our 2010 oppenents(jets/nfc east/patriots/falcons/suh's lions/etc), the oline sucked in the 1st half.
but we had better playmakers in 2009.
Ryan Grant and Ahman Green > kuhn and brandon jackson
Jermichael Finley > the three amigos

Greg Jennings was better in 2010, Donald Driver was better in 2009....
Teams hit us with more coverage based defenses in 2010 than in 2009, so we had to adjust and whatnot.

idk, either way, 2009 offense + 2010 defense = unstoppable!

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
if stats won SB's them marino and manning would have lots of rings.
i personally think we dont need finley. he has that T.O. mentality of i need the ball a lot. jennings finally spoke up this season saying throw me the ball more and when rodgers did our offense clicked.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if stats won SB's them marino and manning would have lots of rings.
i personally think we dont need finley. he has that T.O. menatlity of i need the ball a lot. jennings finally spoke up this season saying throw me the ball more and when rodgers did our offense clicked.
Oh yeah. Finley is a ******.

Now, Jennings on the other hand. Jennings knows how to complain about the QB and ask for the ball properly! He's no diva like Finely...

(Every receiver in the league is a diva, some are problems in the locker room, some aren't. Our guys aren't. Not even Finley)

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Finley is a ******.

Now, Jennings on the other hand. Jennings knows how to complain about the QB and ask for the ball properly! He's no diva like Finely...

(Every receiver in the league is a diva, some are problems in the locker room, some aren't. Our guys aren't. Not even Finley)
I see what you did there ^ that's funny.
If people forget, our offense coming down the stretch in 2009 was almost unstoppable with Jennings & Finley....

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see what you did there ^ that's funny.
If people forget, our offense coming down the stretch in 2009 was almost unstoppable with Jennings & Finley....

True that! Now imagine the offense for 2011 being some combination of 2009 and 2010! Jennings and Finley, Grant, Starks, Kuhn and Bjax (?) ....... Oh my! Add in the 2010 defense with players back from IR....... Holy SB! I think we may just be in football heaven! I hear angels singing! I hear trumpets!!!

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True that! Now imagine the offense for 2011 being some combination of 2009 and 2010! Jennings and Finley, Grant, Starks, Kuhn and Bjax (?) ....... Oh my! Add in the 2010 defense with players back from IR....... Holy SB! I think we may just be in football heaven! I hear angels singing! I hear trumpets!!!
Exactly..... that's what I'm talking about.
As great as we finished this season, we know our offense is capable of being even better. We know this for a fact.

The Falcons game, where our punter was not even needed..... we are capable of that. Remember Antrel Rolle of Arizona last year after we lost that playoff game? He praised Rodgers and that offense so much, said he never wanted to face us again.... Finley was a mismatch for anyone they put on him.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly..... that's what I'm talking about.
As great as we finished this season, we know our offense is capable of being even better. We know this for a fact.

The Falcons game, where our punter was not even needed..... we are capable of that. Remember Antrel Rolle of Arizona last year after we lost that playoff game? He praised Rodgers and that offense so much, said he never wanted to face us again.... Finley was a mismatch for anyone they put on him.

Makes me all giddy and warm and fuzzy all over to just think of it!!! Unstoppable! Happy tails and all of a purr! :)