1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Better career with team Peyton and colts or Brett and the Pack?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Mar 6, 2012.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    With Peyton heading towards the unemployment line tomorrow, I started thinking of how similar it was to Brett leaving. Then I started thinking how similar their careers were with the respective franchises.

So the question I pose to the forum, who had a better career? Both went to 2 SBs, won one, and had many playoff meltdowns. I'm guessing Brett's numbers as a whole will be higher but Peyton had better single seasons number wise. Peyton played with a #1 WR (#88) the majority of his time with the colts while Brett never had a #1 WR for more than a few yrs at a time (sharpe and Jennings)

2. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Peyton didn't have all that great of divisional competition for many of his years with the Colts.

3. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I can't stand Farve.
    Both of them were are their best in the regular season, and thus the worse in the playoffs.

Manning did it with tons of 1st round picks around him on offense.
    And he also did it with a climate-controlled home environment, and in the AFC South where road weather is better.

I give the slight edge to Favre even though I can't stand Farve.

4. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,798
    I dunno...
    Favre had more starts.
    And every time he made a new record the media went nuts over him as if he was the first to complete a TD pass. Ever.
    And he kept the media entertained with the old "Will he or won't he" drama queen crud.

I think Favre will be remembered more fondly among non-Packers fans for his longevity and his kid-like-fun for playing the game. (Who does John Gruden gush over now?)
    They don't give a damn that he went to a rival team and that he kept on blowing the big games for us.
    His interceptions and fumbles records are easily overlooked.
    But he does have the prima donna 'tude and the sexting which is a black mark as well.

All in all, both are over-rated. Way, way, way over-rated.
    But I think Favre just barely has the edge of that one.

5. gwh11

gwh11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +90
    I think if you put a lot of value in certain statistical measures, Manning appears "better" (career totals aside).
    But, as was mentioned above, how much did supporting casts and weather figure in?
    Manning is usually placed above Favre in pundits' lists of all-time greatest QBs.
    Despite more episodes of controlled, methodical brilliance on the part of Manning, I'd much rather watch Favre play. Much more fun to watch, imo.

6. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    Meh. I don't know. Both were great but did not always live up to expectations in the playoffs all the time.

7. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    I'd agree with this.

8. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +186
    By better career do you mean stats? If you go by stats then it is Favre at the current moment. If you are asking who I would take at QB if I had both in their prime and I was starting a new team, Manning is in the top 5 for sure and I am not sure if Favre cracks the top 10 of all time quarterbacks.

9. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +400
    Manning will be rated a better QB in NFL history than Favre. Manning played in more climate controlled games than Favre. Favre holds records that either will not be broken at all or will be 10+ yrs before they're broken. Over 500 TDs. Manning has the mental edge but Favre has the toughness edge. Overall I believe Favre wins out

10. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    I have had a love/hate relationship with both off and on at times but I gotta go with Peyton in the end. In a way today was bitter sweet for me. I had seen this coming for several months. A few people "in the know" too had told me weeks ago Peyton was out. Still when I heard the breaking news I did get a bit of a lump in my throat I pushed away.

So many great QBs we have had the joy of watching with different strengths we can single out. One currently plays for the Packers right now and I firmly believe he can go down as an all timer as well.

Rodgers vs. Luck next year. I am pretty darn excited about this one and might go to this game. Packers probably win by 21 right now but who cares.

11. CarolinaPackerFan

CarolinaPackerFan Packers fan in Panthers country

Ratings:
    +52
    I never remember watching a Colts game and expecting Peyton to throw an interception with the game on the line. Every time I watched Favre I was on pins and needles waiting on him to do something stupid in the last 2 minutes of the game. I'll always believe Manning was more talented than Favre, regardless of stats(and this is coming from someone who drank the Favre kool-aid for years).

• Like Like x 1
  12. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I agree with okcpackerfan, if I were starting a team I'd take Peyton ahead of Favre. Too many incomprehensibly stupid playoff INTs for the latter IMO. And while Favre was more exciting to watch, too frequently the excitement was experienced by the opposition. Also, IMO Peyton compares more favorably to Bart Starr than any other modern day QB: He's truly a field general - an on-the-field coach - completely in command of the offense.

Also I have great respect for Peyton as a man and none for Favre. Manning has conducted himself with a great deal of class IMO. For example, while I'm not a betting man I would put money on the proposition that we'll never see pictures of Peyton's genitals available on the internet. I'd put money on it because I don't think that qualifies as a gamble.

• Like Like x 2
  13. gwh11

gwh11 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +90
    I think Favre actually had more talent than Manning, but Manning has/had that classic Starr-like quarterback intelligence. No question that life-long coaching from a father who was an NFL QB did not hurt.
    Setting aside character issues and addressing the original question again, I think it's a close call regarding Favre and his Packers tenure vs. Manning.
    Looking at this another way, and taking Favre's entire career into account, with the wild ups and downs he's had, I will say that Favre has had a better career in terms of entertainment value, past, present and future.
    Given the perverse spectacle his career became, there's no doubt we will see some kind of no punches pulled "Brett Favre Story" hitting bookstores and a biopic coming to theaters in the future.

14. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    Really REALLY hope you are right on that one. :)

15. jeg53

jeg53 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    Nothing similar in the way they left. Manning left with class, Favre left as the Tool he is.

16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    You miss the last month with their back n forth in the media?

17. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    I don't think the back and forth with Peyton and Irsay was THAT bad looking back. Could have been toned down but thats when the divorce was being made public.

Irsay's most shocking move to me this offseason was firing Bill and Chris Polian. I always thought he was their lap dog but I guess not.

18. jeg53

jeg53 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    Your kidding right?

19. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    so you did catch it? okay good.

20. P-E-Z

P-E-Z Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +112
    Its hard to compare dome QB to outdoor QB..... I would take Manning..... Farve trough a lot of INTs

21. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,479
    Just like Brett....Go back and look at the records of the Lions, Bucs, and Bears..There were seasons the Pack only needed to win 9 games to win the division..I think one year a 8-8 would have won it

Those were the years that they would be one and done in the playoffs....So when playoffs came around they just werent as good as the other teams, just good enough to win their division

22. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    I don't know, they both choked away big playoff games.

They both won a Super Bowl, but Peyton's playoff record is littered with loses just like Favre's. But most of the home losses for the Colts were really weird in the playoffs. No doubt, some of them they could have and should have won. And as for the comment about Peyton not throwing picks with the game on the line, we all know he did do that, including one in the Super Bowl, so don't even try to go that far. The year he won a Super Bowl, he didn't put up godly stats in the playoffs with all those interceptions against Baltimore and K.C.

I would say, Favre also had more divisional competition. The Colts benefited for years with Tennessee being the only team that would give them a scare every few seasons.

But as far as the playoffs go, Favre and Peyton both had a habit of losing big games. I think Jules would agree there.

23. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +400
    Denver seems like they're trying to get Peyton but I don't see it happeneing

24. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    What you talking bout? This never happened.....right?:cry:

I think I slowly rolled over onto the floor in slow motion when it did happen though......

• Like Like x 1
  25. GeeDogWarrior

GeeDogWarrior 0 - 0

Ratings:
    +139
    Favre > peyton
    Favre in his prime had to go up against the Emmit Smith Cowboys & Steve Young 49ers in the playoffs.
    Peyton had to go up against ...Brady? Kordell Stewart's steelers....

Favre had to battle Moss led Vikings/Sapp led Bucs/Sanders led Lions/...bears always play us tough
    Peyton had to battle expansion franchise texans/mediocore titans/crappy jaguars....

Favre's GM(Ron) retired at the halfway point, Ted & Holmgren went to seattle.
    Peyton always had the polians & had tony for the most part....

idk... Favre brah.... He wore Green & Gold... that automatically puts him ahead of any non Green & Gold wearing hall of fame QB. ... it's a proven science :tup: