Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are 13 time NFL champions.
We know it.
The NFL and experts know it.
It is fact, not opinion.
Who doesn't agree?
Stealers fans.
They refuse to acknowledge it and think they are the superior team because they have 6 Lombardis. (They don't have 7.
Nyah! Nyah! Nyah!)
But before the SB/Lombardi trophy, was there any kind of acknowledgement?
Is there something in the Packers HOF that shows the other 9 NFL champion wins?
Just wondering if there is any bona fide proof to show that Packers are the best NFL team of all time.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rings and watches given to players and front office (like the SB rings).

Not sure about trophies, though. And not sure if it's in the Packers' HoF.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, first championship win was a watch. Also the Packers should have 14 championships, BUT the NFL wouldn't count ties in the Win/Lose record. Stupid Bears.

The Wearing Of the Green (and*Gold): awards
The pocket watch is classy.

The Wearing Of the Green (and Gold): Watch This - 1929 Championship Watch

If you go to the link and scroll down you will read that the Packers has been the only team to threepeat twice!?
(That is, if I read that right. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.)

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
The Squealers are just mad that since the team started in 1933, they NEVER won a championship before there was a Superbowl. So of course they would rather forget that there was championships before there were Superbowls. Heck they were never in a playoff game until 1947 (Which they lost). And no more playoff games until 25 years later when they were then part of the AFC.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Squealers are just mad that since the team started in 1933, they NEVER won a championship before there was a Superbowl. So of course they would rather forget that there was championships before there were Superbowls. Heck they were never in a playoff game until 1947 (Which they lost). And no more playoff games until 25 years later when they were then part of the AFC.
What I put in bold makes perfect sense.

If the Squelers had won that playoff game, or even a championship, you bet your house it would matter to them!
But of course, they would still find an excuse to diss the Packers previous 9 championship wins.

Getting back to topic: Anyone know of a team trophy the Packers have pre-Super Bowl?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
owned a Steelers fan at the indy 500 over this debate.

They called Green Bay titletown for a reason.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have the 2nd most Hall of Famers. Steeler fans will say they have the 3rd most. But remind them that 3 of them were inducted as owners. Lets induct all the owners of the Packers then talk numbers.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I love this debate. People will argue there wasn't a playoff format, you just had to win games. Well what is a playoff format anyway? Just winning games.
And yes, the Steelers were in the NFL or the NFC before the merger, had all the opportunity to be great. Just didn't git 'r done.
Look, if my kid got beat up in a school yard brawl I'd say it was unfair too, but it doesn't change history. Sorry Towel Wavers, 13th Title! You guys just ran into a tougher kid on the playground. I still go back from time to time and read all the pre-game trash. They were gonna "smash-mouth" us and "show us what a good D looks like" and "experience counts" and all the other stuff. It's a hoot.
In the end, our tough guys kicked tail on their tough guys. When we get our fifth Lombardi, will it continue? If we need seven then so be it.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love this debate. People will argue there wasn't a playoff format, you just had to win games. Well what is a playoff format anyway? Just winning games.
And yes, the Steelers were in the NFL or the NFC before the merger, had all the opportunity to be great. Just didn't git 'r done.
Yup. There ya go.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have the 2nd most Hall of Famers. Steeler fans will say they have the 3rd most. But remind them that 3 of them were inducted as owners. Lets induct all the owners of the Packers then talk numbers.
You want them to turn the HOF into a skyscraper?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
And here I was always told Packer fans were the most knowledgeable in the league.

Prior to the Lombardi trophy there was the AFL-NFL Championship trophy, which was given to the first 4 "Super Bowl" winners. It wasn't renamed until after Lombardi's death. Prior to that, and during the 4 years AFL-NFL trophy time frame, there was the NFL Championship trophy which was a traveling trophy. Named the "Ed Thorp Memorial Trophy". Teams were allowed to have copies made, but I don't know of any. I did not see any in the Packer hall of fame 3 weeks ago when I was there. This trophy was first given out in 1934. Prior to that there was the "Brunswich-Balke Collander Cup" given out until 1933. Both the Thorp and Brunswich trophy's are missing.

For a photo of the Thorp Trophy: Redirect Notice

I have never found a picture of the Brunswich Balke Cup Trophy.

So the time frame goes like this:
1921-1933 Brunswich Balke Cup
1934-1969 Ed Thorp memorial Trophy - NFL Championship Trophy
1960-1969 AFL Championship Trophy (Don't know if it had a name.) News Article » 1964 and 1965 AFL Championship Trophies

1966-1969 AFL-NFL Championship trophy
1970 - Present - Super Bowl/Lombardi Which is the same only imprinted differently.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And here I was always told Packer fans were the most knowledgeable in the league.

Prior to the Lombardi trophy there was the AFL-NFL Championship trophy, which was given to the first 4 "Super Bowl" winners. It wasn't renamed until after Lombardi's death. Prior to that, and during the 4 years AFL-NFL trophy time frame, there was the NFL Championship trophy which was a traveling trophy. Named the "Ed Thorp Memorial Trophy". Teams were allowed to have copies made, but I don't know of any. I did not see any in the Packer hall of fame 3 weeks ago when I was there. This trophy was first given out in 1934. Prior to that there was the "Brunswich-Balke Collander Cup" given out until 1933. Both the Thorp and Brunswich trophy's are missing.

For a photo of the Thorp Trophy: Redirect Notice

I have never found a picture of the Brunswich Balke Cup Trophy.

So the time frame goes like this:
1921-1933 Brunswich Balke Cup
1934-1969 Ed Thorp memorial Trophy - NFL Championship Trophy
1960-1969 AFL Championship Trophy (Don't know if it had a name.) News Article » 1964 and 1965 AFL Championship Trophies

1966-1969 AFL-NFL Championship trophy
1970 - Present - Super Bowl/Lombardi Which is the same only imprinted differently.
Thank you thank you thank you for this Raptor!
You just went to page 1 in my book! Heck, your on the cover!

This is all I wanted to know instead of the thread becoming a mish-mash of Us vs Stealers opinions. (Sorry I even brought that up!)

So aside from watches, rings and other bling, the Packers really don't have much proof for the other 9 championships, right?
(Again, I don't doubt it. Just want to know whats what.)

And I know folks aren't going to like this opinion, but I feel like sharing it anyway: I cannot stand the look of the Lombardi. A football? How cliche', typical, and just stupid.
The Ed Thorp Memorial Trophy is much more creative looking.
I wish they could go back to something more unique like that one.

Members online

Latest posts