Be The GM of the Packers for this off-season

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But someone can predict more concussions for someone who already has concussions. I don't think the Favre situation is apples and oranges. He was the premiere QB in the league at the time all things considered. The Packers staff themselves have stated that they live and die by Ted's BPA rule.

Rodgers backed up Favre for three years. In that time, Favre retired and unretired three times. The writing was on the wall.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's so incredibly stupid to sit here discussing the possibility of blowing our first round pick on a QB for the future when we're this close to the Super Bowl now.

If Rodgers goes down for an extended stretch we're obviously in trouble- the guy was the league's MVP last year. A rookie backing him up won't change that. Sign a decent vet and address the QB for the future when you're not trying to fix the NFL's 32nd ranked defense. F*&%!

THANK YOU! There are guys like McNabb, Henne and Jason Campbell who could backup and fill in for a game or two. Ryan Tanehill won't lead the 2012 Packers to the Super Bowl... Aaron Rodgers will (and only Aaron Rodgers).

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm just pointing out that many folks think that TT is bound to pick need and we've seen that is definitely not his way. He does not operate according to what fans wish. He does not operate like other GMs in the league. I'm trying to do you guys a service by tempering your expectations. Take it for what it is worth.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think my expectations are in line with most fans. Thompson has broad leeway to act with one goal in mind: improve the NFL's worst defense in 2011. I'm not here to spell out exactly how he should go about that process.

The point is that if he gets cute with that first round selection and drafts a real project or adds to a position of depth on the offense, then he's torching much of the good will created by the Pack's recent Super Bowl run... If he followed the draft with a couple of great defensive FA signings, then I might be right back aboard but that hasn't been his M.O.

It's simple: Improve the defense. Let's get another title. -He has plenty of room to find value with his draft picks...

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I think my expectations are in line with most fans. Thompson has broad leeway to act with one goal in mind: improve the NFL's worst defense in 2011. I'm not here to spell out exactly how he should go about that process.

The point is that if he gets cute with that first round selection and drafts a real project or adds to a position of depth on the offense, then he's torching much of the good will created by the Pack's recent Super Bowl run... If he followed the draft with a couple of great defensive FA signings, then I might be right back aboard but that hasn't been his M.O.

It's simple: Improve the defense. Let's get another title. -He has plenty of room to find value with his draft picks...

Your right. He has room. That's the thing we've learned from past experience. TT doesn't really care about the expectations of fans when it comes to choosing talent. We also know that this, as he said, "Isn't fantasy football." Nor is it Madden football. He has a lot of things on his plate with which to deal. He might be losing his starting center. Clifton doesn't have many (if any) miles left in his tank. Flynn will probably be somewhere else at the beginning of the season. That's part of why TT already signed a backup from the Arena league. Tannehill has expressed interest in the Dolphins. So he may not even be a consideration. We do know that Thompson said he sometimes will fill "holes" with free agency. So he may or may not use the draft for defense. This is why his philosophy of best available player is so important to him. He knows he can fill holes through free agency. Although we do know he uses free agency sparingly. He has to look carefully at the cap under the new CBA. I read on PFT that franchise tags don't bring as much under the new CBA, so he'll carefully look at that as well. My whole point is once again, TT gets it done, but he doesn't always do it the way the populace thinks he should.

I wouldn't be surprised if a blue chip player at a position in which the Packers are "deep" gets selected in the first round. It might not happen that way, but with TT one never knows. Who's to say he doesn't bring in a blue chip player who performs well in training camp and then a veteran from that "deep" position is traded for some other veteran who "fills a hole"? The only thing we can do is sit back and wait and watch. But I think we set ourselves up for disappointment if we think he's going to act in knee jerk fashion with the draft or free agency to fill defensive needs. He'll see what's available when it's available and play his cards accordingly.

Here's a for instance; this is just hypothetical, I'm not saying this will happen. Suppose the best available player on the board is a tight end. We know he signed Finley. It's possible a blue chip tight end comes in and bumps Quarless out of a position. TT then shops Quarless to another team in a trade for defensive help. The best available player philosophy has a number of variables after the fact and this could be one type.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a for instance; this is just hypothetical, I'm not saying this will happen. Suppose the best available player on the board is a tight end. We know he signed Finley. It's possible a blue chip tight end comes in and bumps Quarless out of a position. TT then shops Quarless to another team in a trade for defensive help. The best available player philosophy has a number of variables after the fact and this could be one type.

What do you think the return on Quarless would be?

I do agree with you on this poing though. Flynn, if tagged and traded, could get a player in return. I know the Phins want to get rid of CB Vante Davis.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
What do you think the return on Quarless would be?

I do agree with you on this poing though. Flynn, if tagged and traded, could get a player in return. I know the Phins want to get rid of CB Vante Davis.

Quarless was just a hypothetical for example. I don't know what value he'd bring. I saw the Lions also have CB Alphonso Smith they'll eventually trade.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't look for us to get a player back in a trade at an overload(and I'm not convinced we have a glut of personnel at even wr) position. Most likely that would garner a draft pick. Trading a player for a player doesn't happen often in todays NFL.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I wouldn't look for us to get a player back in a trade at an overload(and I'm not convinced we have a glut of personnel at even wr) position. Most likely that would garner a draft pick. Trading a player for a player doesn't happen often in todays NFL.

Good point. At the end of training camp some guys will be cut and some possibly replaced. Do you think TT will barter the replacees for draft picks?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. At the end of training camp some guys will be cut and some possibly replaced. Do you think TT will barter the replacees for draft picks?
Well we all know he likes draft picks. I'm sure he will try to get some value for anyone that has showed some promise.

btw, as you posted none of us knows what Thompson will do in this draft. My gut tells me he is going to try and move up, especially if we get something for Flynn.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Well we all know he likes draft picks. I'm sure he will try to get some value for anyone that has showed some promise.

btw, as you posted none of us knows what Thompson will do in this draft. My gut tells me he is going to try and move up, especially if we get something for Flynn.

That's my inkling too. He can afford to move up this year. It would be an ideal time.

Members online

Latest posts