1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Be The GM of the Packers for this off-season

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by shield4life, Feb 21, 2012.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,098
    he was the highest player on their board. I don't think you grade any other way.

Bottom line is if you see someone you feel is a HOF level player, you grab them no matter what.

If I'm Ted and I see the next Jason Witten, I'm drafting him. Or the next jerry rice. Or the next forest Gregg. You guys get my point, while flush at some positions, you never pass up that great player. I feel later rounds you can somewhat draft in areas of need. No point in drafting 6 WRs if they are always on the top of your board.

2. FearThePack

FearThePack 13x World Champs!

Ratings:
    +44
  3. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,294
    I just received my issue of The Packer Report today in the mail. In it is yet another mock draft. Who does this one predict the Packers will take in the first round? Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M. There are so many mock drafts out there and so many guesses as to Ted Thompson's intentions, that I think we can safely assume no one really knows who Ted Thompson will select in the first round of this year's draft.

4. gbpowner

gbpowner Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +98
    I know that we could use an upgrade or extra players at most of our defensive positions and realistically TT would not have to violate his BPA philosophy with a pick of any player on defense.

What if TT picked a QB as per the Packer Report mock draft? Yeah we have the league MVP but we are one Rodgers blown ACL from Graham Harrell. Not saying that Harrell would become the doomsday scenario of Painter/IN Colts because I don't know what his potential is but with Flynn flying the coop, QB may be a position of need?

I would love for TT to find a couple of blue chip players on defense but if he picks a player that none of us expect; I would not be surprised at all! I'm not even going to waste my time trying to guess what he intends to do with the draft. I have confidence that he knows his job a heck of a lot better than me, the supreme armchair QB! Let me read the headlines when he's done with the draft! :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,098
    The season is over if we lose Rodgers. It would be Houston all over again.

Wait, Rodgers is a system QB, what am I talking about, we would be fine. Anyone can fill in.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +111
    Give Mason Crosby a massive pay rise? no

7. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +111
    Give Mason Crosby a massive pay rise? no

8. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Packer Report? Is that still being published?

9. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +387
    Selecting a QB besides Luck or Griffin in the first round is terrible value.

While I generally endorse the "best player available" strategy, when the guy at the top of your board will likely be available twenty picks later, you trade down. Best player available doesn't exist in a vacuum: you must assess the perceived value of these prospects.

As much as I love my Badgers, there's no reason to use our first rounder on Konz with more pressing needs elsewhere and so many FA centers available. I'm sure one of them would like to play for a title, perhaps at a small discount.

After this past year, it seems like you're obligated to go defense with that first round pick. If that means trading up for a guy you like, then you trade up. The defense needs impact players added to the pass rush.

10. Croak

Ratings:
    +1,294
    Yeah, even after Nitzsche died they kept on going. Now it's a glossy monthly production. I remember getting it when it was just cheap paper way back when. They have a lot of good interviews and stuff.

11. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,038
    Gotta agree with this. This year like most others, a pick at almost any position can be argued as BAP. I'd have trouble defending TE after Finley signed, but other than that, every position can be justified. Almost any 1st round WR would be an upgrade from Driver or any FA receivers. Maybe comparable to Jones or Cobb. Every defensive position could use a 1st pick as could the OL. The debate here would center around the perceived immediate need, not the long term expectations.

12. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    sounds like they are picking up and running with Mike Sherman's hype of Tannehill. Not saying he's bad, just...idk..hard to trust anything Sherman touches

• Like Like x 1
  13. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +387
    If any WR we select toward the end of the first round is comparable to Jones or Cobb, why waste the pick? -Because that's exactly what you're doing if you add another talented player to what many analysts already call the deepest WR corps in the NFL. Adding a WR in the first round so he can become a fourth stringer is just dumb.

You're looking at a pretty talented collection of prospects in the first round of the draft. While there's always a few guys that bust, your odds of finding a player are good and our shortcomings on defense means there's an opportunity for that player to come in and contribute immediately.

I'm not saying that we should abandon BAP as an overall paradigm. But if we come up at number 28 and the top player available on our board is a WR with an available OLB right behind, it would be stupid not to grab the OLB (unless that WR is Justin Blackmon or something. Won't happen.).

Sometimes you have to be flexible: championship windows close in the blink of an eye.

14. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    Every team in the NFL has this problem. If Drew Brees gets injured, the Saints are starting Chase Daniel. If Tom Brady get injured, the Patriots are starting Brian Hoyer. In every case, that team doesn't win the Super Bowl.

In any regular season game, playoff game or Super Bowl, you only play one quarterback at a time. Backup QB's are there to bridge a one or two game gap, not become saviors. A first round QB selection is worse than stupid.

15. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    Thank you! :tup:

Jennings is 28 years old, Nelson is 26 years old, Jones is 27 years old, Finley is 24 years old and Cobb is 21 years old. Not to mention, Tori Gurly, everyone's favorite undrafted free agent, is 24 years old. Drafting a receiver in the first round would be a move for three years down the road AT A MINIMUM.

16. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +387
    Ha! --Not to mention the good things being said about Borel, another practice squad super star at WR.

17. Croak

Ratings:
    +1,294
    Wouldn't you say it was a good thing TT chose Aaron Rodgers to be Favre's backup in the first round, even though Favre was still the starter with a "lifetime contract"? I wonder how things might have been different if TT drafted for "need" that year?

18. Croak

Ratings:
    +1,294
    PFT is reporting latest that a source said Clifton is likely to be cut and Driver restructured. I went to Trent Cole and found Miami may be interested in Clifton.

19. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    Clifton is old and broken. He was awesome for many years but those days are over. He should hang em up while he can still walk.

20. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    expected, but I was kinda expecting Clifton to retire...lot of wear and tear on that body, DAMN fine LT, but has had so many injury problems, especially since douchebag Sapp blind sided him

21. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,038
    WR at 28 would be almost as hard to justify as TE. Almost any position TT chooses could be viewed as filling an immediate need and still fit the BAP role, even a WR. If a WR were there, he'd have to be a top 10 pick on TT's board or I think he'd move down.

22. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    The two scenarios have nothing in common. Favre was at the tail end of his career. Rodgers was drafted to be the eventual starter. Favre wasn't coming off of an MVP season. Favre wasn't one season removed from a Super Bowl win. Rodgers is the starter for the next 8-10 seasons.

Apples and oranges Croak.

23. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    I think we're taking the best player available approach a little too far here. Drafting a quartback in the first round just in case Aaron Rodgers gets severly injured is insane. Nobody can predict an injury. Not to mention, just because you draft a quarterback in the first round doesn't mean he'll be good. Keep the best player available approach, but WITHIN REASON.

24. Croak

Ratings:
    +1,294
    But someone can predict more concussions for someone who already has concussions. I don't think the Favre situation is apples and oranges. He was the premiere QB in the league at the time all things considered. The Packers staff themselves have stated that they live and die by Ted's BPA rule.

25. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +387
    It's so incredibly stupid to sit here discussing the possibility of blowing our first round pick on a QB for the future when we're this close to the Super Bowl now.

If Rodgers goes down for an extended stretch we're obviously in trouble- the guy was the league's MVP last year. A rookie backing him up won't change that. Sign a decent vet and address the QB for the future when you're not trying to fix the NFL's 32nd ranked defense. F*&%!

• Like Like x 3