1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Barnett to OLB ? ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by tromadz, Apr 30, 2006.

1. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    There has been a LOT of talk by my fellow packerforum members about moving Barnett to the outside. He played OLB in college, and when we drafted him, we put him in the middle.

With the drafting of Hawk(an OLB) and Hodge(MLB) ...once again there is talk about moving Barnett to the outside.

The 'Barnett to OLB' debate is an annual event like the 'Will Favre Retire?' drama.

Barnett is now comfortable in the MLB position and led the NFC in tackles. He's been in the middle for THREE years. He has a niche there now. Moving him now would probably do more damage than good.

Our LBs look like this:

AJ HAWK - NICK BARNETT - ABDUL HODGE\BEN TAYLOR

Our LBs went from a point of weakness to a position with depth.

Barnett should(and most likely will...AGAIN) stay in the MLB spot.

2. Popcynical

Popcynical Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Starting two rookies at LB would kinda be scary.

I dunno.. whatever works best, I'm fine with. It'd definitely be interesting to see Barnett at OLB.

3. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with you. Put the two rookies on the sides and keep Barnett at MLB.

4. cheesyscot

cheesyscot Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hodge is a STUD I was yelling for the Pack to draft him in the 2nd round. I can't believe he was around as long as he was. Move Barnett to outside and let his speed kill.

5. C-Mize

C-Mize Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I say keep Barnett in the middle. He has had a lot of success their and I think Hodge can adjust to OLB. But we will see prolly after training camp about what McCarthy wants to do with em. I like the depth at LB anyhow. I could see Hodge and Taylor rotating in and out of the OLB spot though.

6. paxvogel

paxvogel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Barnett is the smallest of the three, move Hodge inside where he is best and mover the speed outside. At least try it. Barnett lead in tackles because there was no one else back there and our DL was weak

7. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, Hodge in the middle, the speedsters on the outside, our defense has improved A lot over this offseason, this draft has been solid, so far.

8. ahaug82

ahaug82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think Hodge should be the MLB with Hawk and Barnett as the OLBs. OLB is Barnett's natural position and his speed will really show when he's outside. He's good at MLB, but he can be even better at OLB.

I don't know if 3 years experience at MLB is that big of a deal when he's had 3 different schemes in those 3 years. I think he will make the switch back to his natural position just fine.

Hawk-Hodge-Barnett is going to be fun to watch, that's for sure. :D

9. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Barnett doesn't read defenses quickly enough and can't get off of blocks well enough to be a quality middle linebacker. That looks to be Hawks position.

10. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    well, whatever works out best. Barnett at OLB, MLB, bench...

whatever helps us win.

11. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Can you please stop putting Ben Taylor in the same class with these guys. I've been telling you for a month....he's a waste!

12. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    This is really Barnetts second year. For the first time in his career he isn't learning a whole new system. He's mastering the sytem instead and moving him would be a bad move, I would think.

13. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hodge is a beast. I'm biased because im a student at the University of Iowa, but still, I just got back to my room to find out we somehow got Hodge in the third round. Amazing value. Barnett, Hodge, Hawk has great potential.

14. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Mike Mayock on NFL Network said that Hodge is strictly a MLB (and a good one), so assuming he's right, I would think this might signal that Barnett will be moving outside.

15. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I also heard that scouts do not think Hodge projects to either outside position. From what I hear coming out of GB is he will start #2 in the middle behind Barnett. However, they will put their best three players on the field on Sunday and that may include Hodge or Barnett moving to the outside.

16. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Having too much talent at Linebacker is a problem.

Sure beats the old problem.

Hodge was great value. By 2007 these issues of who plays where will be sorted out.

17. Weissman1989

Weissman1989 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Someone said earlyier that starting 2 LB rookies would be scary, but in reality Hawk is suppose to be amazing, kinda like a 1 year under his belt. So i would love to see Barnett move to OLB with hawk opposite him with hodge in the middle

18. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hawk is kind of like a half-rookie - he's highly talented and will probably make an impact right away. His skills are much more polished than the later round LBs. So, if he starts, it's not that bad. Hodge...perhaps he's a little less refined, but I'm sure he'll pick up our defense very well throughout the season.

Overall, I'm not too concerned if there were 2 rookies out there. As long as they know the scheme and have a nose for the football then I think the Pack will be ok.

19. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I look forward to seeing how the coaching staff sorts this out.
    Remember just 3 yrs ago people were saying that Barnett shouldn't start in the middle since he was a rookie and he was also learning a new LB position and the MLB is also the "Def QB". They felt was too much to ask from a rookie. If they move Nick to the Will then Hodge would be the dreaded rookie in the middle. Also that would sort of be like having 3 rookies start. At the very least
    I think Taylor & Thomas will fight it out for one OLB starting position. Hawk will have the other with Poppinga as his backup once he has recovered from his injury. And Hodge will back up Barnett in the middle. As the year progresses perhaps they will move Barnett to the outside and put Hodge in the middle but I would expect that to happen next year.

20. Packman5

Packman5 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    no matter what the line up is it will be fun to see these guys hitting brad johnson, grossman, and whoever the lions start at qb

21. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I like Barnett to strong side LB if he can play it. That's something they might want to explore. Hodge is a much better inside LB than weak side and Hawk is pretty much an explosive weak side LB.

For now I look for Barnett to play in the middle and Hawk at weak side. With Hodge being the top backup. I expect Taylor to start at strong side.