Bakhtiari will stay at LT

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

MM told Pete Dougherty that David Bakhtiari will stay at LT for next season, didn't confirm Bulaga will move back to RT but said it would be logical.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

In addition, MM said Hyde could play safety in some personnel groups, slot corner in others.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I prefer Bakhtiari stay at LT - he should get better there - and we know Bulaga can play RT. If they don't sign a UFA safety or draft one early I'd rather see Hyde go to safety full time.

H

HardRightEdge

MM told Pete Dougherty that David Bakhtiari will stay at LT for next season, didn't confirm Bulaga will move back to RT but said it would be logical.
At this juncture, that would be the safe play going into OTAs. He doesn't know what Bulaga is going to look like. As often as not, guys struggle some the first year back after an ACL. If Bulaga has lost any agility, LT is not the spot for him. If Bulaga returns to form in 2014, and the Pack pays what would be required to re-sign him, then LT might be contemplated again.

For this to work, Bakhtiari must progress. If he's leveled out, he's no more than a stop gap.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

For this to work, Bhkhtiari must progress. If he's leveled out, he's no more than stop gap.

I expect Bakhtiari to take a step forward. He played admirable (at least in pass protection) for a fourth round pick last season without having most of the offseason to prepare for it while facing a lot of excellent pass rushers. Run blocking has to improve though, no doubt about that.

H

HardRightEdge

In addition, MM said Hyde could play safety in some personnel groups, slot corner in others.
Hmm. So, in what scenario would Heyward not be the slot corner all of the time? A couple of possibilities come to mind.

1. Heyward's health is very uncertain.
2. Heyward is expected to take snaps at cover corner in nickel.

With respect to 2., might that be in anticipation of either Shields or Woodson not being around any more?

Dougherty should have asked the follow-up question, "where do you see Heyward fitting in?" to sketch this out a bit better.

H

HardRightEdge

I expect Bakhtiari to take a step forward. He played admirable (at least in pass protection) for a fourth round pick last season without having most of the offseason to prepare for it while facing a lot of excellent pass rushers. Run blocking has to improve though, no doubt about that.
I don't disagree with that in general, though I don't think anybody would be happy if his pass blocking has topped out and this is what's expected for the coming years in that department. I maintain he looked good compared to Newhouse, but that's saying next to nothing. To start, in pass blocking, he needs to learn how to cut block or give it up altogether.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Hmm. So, in what scenario would Heyward not be the slot corner all of the time? A couple of possibilities come to mind.

1. Heyward's health is very uncertain.
2. Heyward is expected to take snaps at cover corner in nickel.

With respect to 2., might that be in anticipation of either Shields or Woodson not being around any more?

Dougherty should have asked the follow-up question, "where do you see Heyward fitting in?" to sketch this out a bit better.

Dougherty is just doing a live chat at Packersnews.com, so I asked him about that. He said he thinks Hyde would play safety in base and nickel and move to the slot in dime with Hayward playing the slot in all formations.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't disagree with that in general, though I don't think anybody would be happy if his pass blocking has topped out and this is what's expected for the coming years in that department. I maintain he looked good compared to Newhouse, but that's saying next to nothing. To start, in pass blocking, he needs to learn how to cut block or give it up altogether.

I won't be satisfied either if he doesn't improve his pass blocking, just saying that considering the circumstances he did a nice job.

H

HardRightEdge

Dougherty is just doing a live char at Packersnews.com, so I asked him about that. He said he thinks Hyde would play safety in base and nickel and move to the slot in dime with Hayward playing the slot in all formations.
That makes sense. I know you don't like Hyde at safety, but with the other needs on defense that could draw high draft picks (let along thinking about a TE, or a WR to prep for 2015), it's hard to put his skill set on the bench and it looks to fit the safety position.

You had commented some time back that he looked bad at safety when he played there at Iowa. Any elaboration on that you can provide?

H

HardRightEdge

I won't be satisfied either if he doesn't improve his pass blocking, just saying that considering the circumstances he did a nice job.
No argument there. and we were lucky to have him.

But I don't think we can say he played a "good LT" by league standards

I suppose what I'm getting at is we've got a whole lot of "considering the circumstances" type players...inexperienced, injured, denied opportunity because of injuries to others, unexpectedly backsliding now going into a hoped for rebound, learning new positions, did I miss any? They won't all pan out or turn around; I'd venture a guess that a dispassionate eye would say if half the guys in that long list turned out to be solid players that would be at least par for the course.

It's just not practical to look at each player in turn and see only the needed upside.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole "he played so well for a rookie" thing is wearing a little thin. They need to put the best guys at LT and RT next year, so I hope they try Bulaga, Bakhtiari and Sherrod at both and if Bakhtiari gets outplayed then he's the backup. He was better than Newhouse but he was only better than Barclay on the starting line.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

That makes sense. I know you don't like Hyde at safety, but with the other needs on defense that could draw high draft picks (let along thinking about a TE, or a WR to prep for 2015), it's hard to put his skill set on the bench and it looks to fit the safety position.

You had commented some time back that he looked bad at safety when he played there at Iowa. Any elaboration on that you can provide?

I'm not sure I was the one commenting on his safety play at Iowa, but I can remember Iowa fans talking about him being victimized a lot and having troubles reading offenses during his short tenure at safety. In addition he lost the job to Jordan Bernstine, who became a 7th-round for the Redskins in 2012, but wasn't good enough to play a single down in the NFL.

H

HardRightEdge

The whole "he played so well for a rookie" thing is wearing a little thin. They need to put the best guys at LT and RT next year, so I hope they try Bulaga, Bakhtiari and Sherrod at both
It might work out that way once they get into camp. But the default position has to be that Sherrod's been kept this long because the first 3 years of his rookie deal were fully guaranteed; there was no downside in keeping him up to this point.

Given the nature of Sherrod's injury considered along with his chief virtues being the "dancing bear" attributes, I remain doubtful he'll be able to play, let alone steal a starting spot.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might work out that way once they get into camp. But the default position has to be that Sherrod's been kept this long because the first 3 years of his rookie deal were fully guaranteed; there was no downside in keeping him up to this point.

Given the nature of Sherrod's injury considered along with his chief virtues being the "dancing bear" attributes, I remain doubtful he'll be able to play, let alone steal a starting spot.

I wouldn't bet on it, and if he isn't sufficiently recovered by now then he probably never will. Still, he's built better than anyone else on the team and guys have recovered from type of injury before to play really well. I'd be thrilled if he outplayed Bakhtiari.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really, really hope Hyde isn't the only option the Packers want to improve the safety position with.

I was just talking to a buddy about this this morning. I'm so sick and tired of shuffling guys around because they might be able to play at a certain postition. I love Ted and what he has done with this team but I want a legitimate safety to play back there. Not a guy who might be a good fit there. That unit was dreadfully, painfully, unbelievably, and whatever other word you can think of BAD last year. I don't want a band-aid anymore I want a fix.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole "he played so well for a rookie" thing is wearing a little thin. They need to put the best guys at LT and RT next year, so I hope they try Bulaga, Bakhtiari and Sherrod at both and if Bakhtiari gets outplayed then he's the backup. He was better than Newhouse but he was only better than Barclay on the starting line.

While I agree that the best 5 should be out there at all times, the line as a whole played well last year. 2012's line gave up 51 sacks on the QB, 2013 gave up 45. Now, Bahktiari isn't the main reason for that but he wasn't a liability out there either, and Bulaga didn't play a single snap last year. I would also argue that if Rodgers plays all year that that sack number is somwhere below 40. The other 3 QB's started 7 games this year and were sacked an average of 3.4 times per game. In the 9 games Rodgers started that average fell to 2.3.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any update on the RT? If this were any other team I would be asking if he was 100 percent for the off season program and OTA's.....but I know better. We will be lucky to see him in camp. Navarro Bowman had a more involved knee injury (2 weeks ago) and the 49ers are planing on him being ready by the middle of next season but are optimistic for him to be ready for the start the season. They said the same thing about crabtree's achilles last year (not the same time frame but that he would return and not be out the entire year) and they were spot on and he was great in his return.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Means Bulaga wont be ready..when it comes to injuries the Packers medical staff babies these guys big time. Dont be shocked if Barclay opens the season at RT either and sherrod gets cut. TT should Never draft a linemen in the 1s rd period.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the Combine, McCarthy was didn't commit to a firm "he will stay there". I don't get the 'stop gap' idea. DB played the entire season at LT and did quite well. So why move him? Bulaga was having a near Pro Bowl year at RT when he got hurt.
We won't really know until training camp in July. It all will be whether Bulaga is recovered, but the Packers had Don Barclay at RT almost all season, lest we forget. Barclay also had a pretty good season.

Just|Me

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much we've to count in Sitton as a factor for good Tackle play by eiter DB and Bulaga. That said, think back to the days Sherrod started to show why we drafted him in the 1st round. He lined up right next to Sitton and played (as far as I can remember) solid at RT. With Sitton moved to LG maybe there is a more than a realistic chance Sherrod could end up at LT after the TC...as long as he gets a fair chance at all fighting for that job.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much we've to count in Sitton as a factor for good Tackle play by eiter DB and Bulaga. That said, think back to the days Sherrod started to show why we drafted him in the 1st round. He lined up right next to Sitton and played (as far as I can remember) solid at RT. With Sitton moved to LG maybe there is a more than a realistic chance Sherrod could end up at LT after the TC...as long as he gets a fair chance at all fighting for that job.

Not exactly sure what you are saying, but it comes across that you are unsure that Josh Sitton is any good.....is that correct? If so, you need to watch more Packer football....Sitton is darn good.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not exactly sure what you are saying, but it comes across that you are unsure that Josh Sitton is any good.....is that correct? If so, you need to watch more Packer football....Sitton is darn good.
My take on that post was he thought perhaps Sitton enhanced the tackle play on both the right and left sides making the tackles look better than they actually were.

Members online

Latest posts