Bakhtiari to Jets?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay or any other franchise has the absolute total freedom to stop putting guaranteed money in contracts. It’s supply and demand. Players are already being hamstrung by the salary cap (and the draft for that matter) preventing them from making what they are truly worth in an open uncobstrained market.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Again the cba wouldn’t do it.. 1st thing, need to not call it guaranteed

New name of 40 million for a 4 year deal.

1st year it’s 10 million New name 17 games . Each game check has the added to it. But if he isn’t on roster then New name isn’t there

again cab won’t go for it. But this would end the complaints of got his money and not playing
I could be wrong, but I don't think that the CBA could oppose it, if the 2 sides agreed to it. Afterall, many of the Practice Squad and lower tier players have similar type of contracts, no guarantees, just paid more if they play.

What is stopping it from happening is the current market, as well as the owners/GM. The owners are the ones that are willing to throw guaranteed money at a Free Agent, to entice them to sign. Until that practice ceases, every team that participates could face this problem.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakh's future is arguably going to be the giant in the room this off-season similar to Rodgers...will overshadow the Jones conundrum fiscal hit even.

Way I see it truly we have only two or three options:

1 - You roll with him a final year, his cap hit is like $40M and you swallow it and hope he plays.
2 - You just flat release him. You cannot post-June 1 him so you take a savings $21M (eating $19M of dead).
3 - You trade him...does same savings as above but you gotta find a suitor and likely case is the initial pick compensation would be VERY low likely due to the team would have to agree to pay him and the trade before physical passing due to his history. Likely elevating the pick compensation based on games played or snaps or something. Like say you tell the Jets give us a 6th as bottom and elevate it every 25% of snaps played which would essentially cap it at a 3rd rounder as no way he hits 100% making it a 2nd rounder. Jets lose a Day3 unless they have a Bakhtiari level tackle out there for over 75% of their snaps - something of immense value.

4 - Extension.....I don't want to see this, but truthfully I could see a small extension to slide cap and make him more tradeable perhaps...but I am not a fan.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read somewhere that releasing him w/o him passing the physical can open a possible law suit

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read somewhere that releasing him w/o him passing the physical can open a possible law suit
I think back around 20 plus years ago the Packers released Mak Chmura and he could not pass the physical.

Reaction score
No. It was because of his off the field incident.
Oh yeah I remember his Chamuras’ shenanigans now.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Bak, He’s such a great player when on the field. Yet it’s hard to count on him for more than 1/2 season. So his production is half. If he’d restructure with a trade partner on a tiered draft pick based on playing time? That might be best case as far as unloading him for any draft capital.
Tier 1 75% snaps. = 4th Rd (2025)
Tier 2 50% snaps = 5th Rd
Tier 3 25% snaps = 6th rd

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah I remember his Chamuras’ shenanigans now.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Bak, He’s such a great player when on the field. Yet it’s hard to count on him for more than 1/2 season. So his production is half. If he’d restructure with a trade partner on a tiered draft pick based on playing time? That might be best case as far as unloading him for any draft capital.
Tier 1 75% snaps. = 4th Rd (2025)
Tier 2 50% snaps = 5th Rd
Tier 3 25% snaps = 6th rd
That injury was a shame because this is one OT who if he had lasted in the NFL may have had a chance for the HOF someday.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a great player like 3 years ago? 4 by next year? MAYbe his latest surgery will help. (Wasnt this the prognosis with the previous 3?) Nobody is going to trade jack diddly squat for him. We save $21M cutting him or we pay an extra $19 M to see if he can play. That seems like the choice. Dead cap money is a sunk cost. In business (which this is) its not part of the decision making process, because its gone either way. At issue is the money we pay him to try to have him play. I’m skeptical but I’m also not on the GBP training staff.

Reaction score
He would be a first ballot HoFer had he not got injured…the epitome of bad timing.
David is the type of veteran player that had he not injured that week before our NFC game? His Veteran presence could have arguably been the catalyst to get us past Tampa. I also believe had we topped Tampa there’s a 70% chance we’d Win the SB on what would’ve drew MASSIVE ratings

Regular season MVP and SB Winner Aaron Rodgers Vs DEFENDING SB MVP CHAMPION Patrick Mahomes
IN

SUPERBOWL 1 REMATCH

“The Ghost of Hank Stram Hunt(s) his Lombardi”

Last edited:
OP
OP
lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
David is the type of veteran player that had he not injured that week before our NFC game? His Veteran presence could have arguably been the catalyst to get us past Tampa. I also believe had we topped Tampa there’s a 70% chance we’d Win the SB on what would’ve drew MASSIVE ratings

Regular season MVP and SB Winner Aaron Rodgers Vs DEFENDING SB MVP CHAMPION Patrick Mahomes
IN

SUPERBOWL 1 REMATCH

“The Ghost of Hank Stram Hunt(s) his Lombardi”
or another realist prospectus is choker vs champ

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Bakh's future is arguably going to be the giant in the room this off-season similar to Rodgers...will overshadow the Jones conundrum fiscal hit even.

Way I see it truly we have only two or three options:

1 - You roll with him a final year, his cap hit is like $40M and you swallow it and hope he plays.
2 - You just flat release him. You cannot post-June 1 him so you take a savings $21M (eating $19M of dead).
3 - You trade him...does same savings as above but you gotta find a suitor and likely case is the initial pick compensation would be VERY low likely due to the team would have to agree to pay him and the trade before physical passing due to his history. Likely elevating the pick compensation based on games played or snaps or something. Like say you tell the Jets give us a 6th as bottom and elevate it every 25% of snaps played which would essentially cap it at a 3rd rounder as no way he hits 100% making it a 2nd rounder. Jets lose a Day3 unless they have a Bakhtiari level tackle out there for over 75% of their snaps - something of immense value.

4 - Extension.....I don't want to see this, but truthfully I could see a small extension to slide cap and make him more tradeable perhaps...but I am not a fan.
I actually think option one is the way to go. I think they will go option two. It's a lot of money either way, but I'm personally getting sick of all this dead money. If were not willing to pay these guys their contracts to actually play then they need to quit handing out ridiculous contracts. Probably a dumb take, but it's only one more year and then they can go their separate ways.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually think option one is the way to go. I think they will go option two. It's a lot of money either way, but I'm personally getting sick of all this dead money. If were not willing to pay these guys their contracts to actually play then they need to quit handing out ridiculous contracts. Probably a dumb take, but it's only one more year and then they can go their separate ways.

It isn't insane to think he could be here next year without an extension and a massive hit. I know folks would hate to see it, even I just think of all the things we could do with that saved millions but I would get it. Imagine, just imagine IF he is finally healthy how much Love would love having that ALL PRO LT in there...and the ability to maybe still draft a Top 100 LT prospect that isn't forced to play day 1 could be awesome from a future perspective too.

Personally if you told me to apply percentage chances I'd say I think 40% we trade him (including option to extend and then trade), 30% cut/release, 20% play as is, 10% extend and play him.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
It isn't insane to think he could be here next year without an extension and a massive hit. I know folks would hate to see it, even I just think of all the things we could do with that saved millions but I would get it. Imagine, just imagine IF he is finally healthy how much Love would love having that ALL PRO LT in there...and the ability to maybe still draft a Top 100 LT prospect that isn't forced to play day 1 could be awesome from a future perspective too.

Personally if you told me to apply percentage chances I'd say I think 40% we trade him (including option to extend and then trade), 30% cut/release, 20% play as is, 10% extend and play him.
I'd flip the first two. 40% cut/release, but overall agree with you.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd flip the first two. 40% cut/release, but overall agree with you.

I think some team will be willing at minimum to toss a conditional Day3 our way to not have to deal with fighting for him in FA...especially if he can somehow communicate and perhaps even through social media postings illustrate might be healthy. It would for sure have to start as a low Day3 pick though (like a 6th) I bet.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way can you rely on having Bahktiari as LT no matter what he gets paid. His knee has wrecked his career. It's time to draft a LT high in round one because Nijman and Rasheed Walker look like valuable back ups but not true starting caliber LT.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe anyone is going to blindly rely on him to be a full season LT - but shoot...if your the Jets with say their OL issues and Rodgers coming back next year hopefully...throw a conditional 6th for a Bakh makes all the sense in the world. Even this year on a wrecked knee he was our best OL arguably when playing.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakh has reached the point for me where he should only be viewed as a "bonus" player from here on out. Meaning that you more or less don't count him as much of a factor one way or the other (on the field) and any time he is healthy and able to play is just "bonus".

I do think he could be a good mentor and he is generally seeming to be a well-liked guy and good locker room presence. And there is some value in that. But as they say, the best ability is availability....

So for me the only way you really see about bringing him back is if you're planning on spending high capital early on getting a new starting tackle. If you're able to draft a guy like Fashanu, Alt, Latham, etc (not saying we would reasonably be able to get any/all of them) with the intention of them being able to be a day-one starter *if need be* then potentially having a healthy Bakh to be able to start and mentor that guy for a year (or however long) is not a bad thing. But I don't want to see us drafting a 6th round project LT and banking on Bakh being the starter and then having to start that guy or shift everyone all around when Bakh gets hurt.

Basically then the short of it for me:

1. If you're able to draft a player that you believe has the quality to be a day-one potential starter at LT and can make the numbers make sense to bring back Bakh then go for it. Best-case scenario he stays healthy and you have one of the best LTs in the league for Love for the next year and he can mentor your new LT you drafted and get them ready to step in next year. Worst-case scenario he gets hurt again but you've already drafted a starting-quality player who's ready to step in
  2. If you aren't in a position to draft a day-one starter at LT or aren't willing to invest your capital in that then I think you have to move on and pivot to a different solution for your first choice LT. As above he'd be a great "bonus" player but I don't think it would be wise to rely on him being healthy at all.
  3. All that said if GM Rodgers decides he wants Bakh on the Jets or whoever comes along with any semi-respectable trade offer I'd probably take it

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sticking point w/ Bhak is the base salary. The signing bonus is spent and we're on the hook regardless. If and only if he's looking good post surgery, you could get cute with his deal for 2024 to play cap games.

The problem, of course, is that he has some leverage. If he doesn't like the offer, he could just demand to play out the contract, which would likely force us to trade or cut him.

1. Offer him an extra 3 years to give you room to play with bonus money spread over a few years.

2a. I'd specifically give him a roster bonus due in 2025, in case he really is done, we can walk away without another large cap hit.

2b. If you actually want to keep him and pay the roster bonus, convert it to a signing bonus, reducing his cap hit in 2025 to 1/2 or 1/3 the total amount.

3a. for 2024, offer him a smaller signing bonus (is 1 million enough for him to come to the table? 5?) + the veteran minimum + game day active bonuses. His 2024 base and roster bonus works out to 20.2M. Offer him 1.25M per game. A slight raise which hopefully is enough to get him interested

3b. As Bhak missed all but one game in 2023, his salary cap hit for 2024 would be reduced to his new, base salary + 1 game day check + whatever new bonus money was offered to get him to sign. The other 16 games would be "not likely to be earned" and thus any games he does play in, we'd get for free in 2024.

3c. If he makes it through on 7 games and you decide he's done, release him after 2024 before you pay the roster bonus. Your 2025 cap hit would be 6 * 1.25M.

Basically a long winded way to ask: His hit/dead cap for 2024 is $19,065,514. Even if we cut him, that's the minimum to finish paying off his bonus bonus. How much actually salary would you be willing to pay him for 2024 if you could tie most of his compensation to game day availability AND defer that cap hit for one year?

Members online

Latest posts