Bakhtiari to Jets?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That sounds great in theory, but you'd basically be asking all 32 owners/GM's to collude and all agree to NOT offer these types of contracts. There's always at least 1 or 2 stupid ones that can't resist. But something like you're asking will never be agreed upon by the players to be in the bargaining agreement for type of contract.
While I agree with you that it probably will never happen, no current rules, that I am aware of, would prevent it from shifting into that direction.

I think we have already seen most teams shy away from big RB contracts, with big guarantees. Will that happen at LT, WR and QB? Doubt it, but I would love it if it would.

ClutchLove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with you that it probably will never happen, no current rules, that I am aware of, would prevent it from shifting into that direction.

I think we have already seen most teams shy away from big RB contracts, with big guarantees. Will that happen at LT, WR and QB? Doubt it, but I would love it if it would.
Halleluah! I feel that NFL players are WAYYYY overpaid anyway. That would be great.

I mean I get Revenue and Profit share and the obvious physical (and mental) dangers of playing in the NFL. But a lot of these guys are wayyy overpaid today.

That said, I mean you can NOT fault NFL players for "following the money". I would too. I've heard too many times how when AR took the extension with the Packers it was "selfish".... But you can't blame Aaron, he was looking out for HIMSELF - which is the right thing to do anyway lol

*that said, it's a different story with Aaron's "pay cut" for the Jets and being paid all that guaranteed money for 4 plays thus far this season LOL

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason RB big contracts aren't happening right now is the plethora of replacement examples for cheaper options working for teams. No other position has sustained that track record as well....until it does contracts will grow.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The only reason RB big contracts aren't happening right now is the plethora of replacement examples for cheaper options working for teams. No other position has sustained that track record as well....until it does contracts will grow.
While I agree with you, I also think that the RB position is one that teams have totally gotten burned on. Let's face it a Top RB has a more of limited productive NFL career than a top QB, WR or maybe even LT. So as you alluded to, while you may have a top 5 RB this year, he may very well drop off in performance 1-3 years into his contract. Enough that a young guy, paid a lot less, could perform better.

Overall, I think the NFL is making too much money, that includes the owners and the players. Who's fault is that? Us, the fans, because we are the ones shelling out the money each year. Basic supply and demand, the NFL is in big demand and the supply of tickets is limited, for most teams.

Curious, at what ticket (regular season) price would YOU, a Packer fan say "nope, that's it, I'm done buying. OF course, you probably will still watch on TV. At what price would you not watch a game on TV, if you had to pay to watch each game?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’d never buy a ticket personally at this point in my life - maybe future as Home games are insane expensive to buy.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would agree that I think Bahk's career might be over, I would hardly call him a "bum" for taking the money that the Packers agreed to pay him via a contract. While it would be "nice", if Bahk said "you know what, I didn't earn all this money, you guys keep half." He won't, nor would 99% of the population.

If you want to be mad at someone, you probably should be mad at the Packers for giving him all that guaranteed money, months before his old contract was even up.
It's not personal. It's strictly business.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's not personal. It's strictly business.
It should be, but we as fans attach ourselves on a personal level with certain players. When we see those players doing something that goes against what we believe, we take it personally. Which as you correctly pointed out, typically, it's just business, so we shouldn't.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree, with a caveat.

Now it's easy to say "The Packers screwed up and never should have resigned Bahk." Since with hindsight, we know what happened. I fully acknowledge that had Bahk not suffered what appears to possibly be a career ending knee injury, he may have played like a Pro Bowler during that contract. My biggest beef with the contract was too early and too much guaranteed money.

Unfortunately, the NFL has shifted to giving out lots of guaranteed money to coveted players. So unless that changes, signing top players at their positions, is probably going to require a team to do just that or take their chances on continuing to develop young prospects.

Currently, the only way around these type of contracts blowing up in your face is to lace it with a ton of incentive pay. For instance Bahk's contract:

Deal he got: $92M-4 year, including a $30M signing bonus, $61.M guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $23 M

Alternative: $100M-4 year, including a $25M signing bonus, $25M guaranteed and $25M/season+ $1M bonus for Pro Bowl and $1M bonus for playing a minimum of 16 games.

Now I am pretty certain if a player were offered a choice between the 2, the player would take Deal #1. However, if teams STOPPED offering those deals and switched to something like the Alternative Deal, then the risk of what has happened with Bahk's deal decreases. The upside for a player is that if he performs, without getting injured, he earns more.
The part of it that bothers me is that the NFL keeps counting the money against the cap. The guy's knee is crap and he will never play a full season again, but yet GB has to count him against the cap. The NFL should have a different policy in this regard.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The part of it that bothers me is that the NFL keeps counting the money against the cap. The guy's knee is crap and he will never play a full season again, but yet GB has to count him against the cap. The NFL should have a different policy in this regard.
Team cap analysts would instantly figure out multiple ways to quickly clear cap with "injured" players. Imho, leave it as is and penalize teams for being stoopid with their $.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Team cap analysts would instantly figure out multiple ways to quickly clear cap with "injured" players. Imho, leave it as is and penalize teams for being stoopid with their $.

It would get SOOOOOOOOO stupid sooooooooo fast if injures removed cap hits.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You will get no complaint from me on that. I'll go one step further, a player shouldn't be paid his full salary when he can't play.

Again though, under the current rules, nobody is to blame but bad luck and the Packers for giving him all that guaranteed money.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It would get SOOOOOOOOO stupid sooooooooo fast if injures removed cap hits.
Not really. They would have to add to that a clause the reduced the players salary a set % as well. That would prevent any kind of Mickey Mouse with players feigning a ghost injury and still getting full pay. That aspect would have to be put into contracts and would somewhat negate the guaranteed portion.

Then, if they set it up so that said player had to be placed on season ending IR and the cap credit would be for the following year, I could see it working and not be that much different than cutting a high paid vet right before the 53 man cut down.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agreed. No amount of money can make up for the pain and suffering for the rest of a players life.
That I don't agree with.

People get hurt in 1000's of different jobs daily. A football player blows his knee, a truck driver bursts an ear drum, a firefighter dies in a blaze, a professional golfer screws his back up, a teacher slips down the school stairs and breaks her back, etc. I guarantee you, they all have pain and suffering, but only the football player continues to make millions.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
That I don't agree with.

People get hurt in 1000's of different jobs daily. A football player blows his knee, a truck driver bursts an ear drum, a firefighter dies in a blaze, a professional golfer screws his back up, a teacher slips down the school stairs and breaks her back, etc. I guarantee you, they all have pain and suffering, but only the football player continues to make millions.
Only the football player was making millions before then. Supply & demand. How many competent teachers or truck drivers are there? How many NFL caliber LTs? Not many more than one per team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You will get no complaint from me on that. I'll go one step further, a player shouldn't be paid his full salary when he can't play.

Again though, under the current rules, nobody is to blame but bad luck and the Packers for giving him all that guaranteed money.
Haven't really read it all

Maybe the cba won't allow it..not sure if guaranteed is paid all at once or over the course of time.

But could guarantee money be tied to actual games played? You play 100 percent of x games, 100 percent guaranteed $

Play 90 percent of x games, get 90 percent

And so on

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That I don't agree with.

The same goes for anyone who is injured and is given a settlement.

Sure, it's nice to be a millionaire, though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm be a millionaire or be able to roughhouse on the living room floor with 2 or 3 preschool grandchildren. Or shoot hoops with their older siblings.
Nice to have that choice. Many folks risk the latter in service to others without the opportunity for the former.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But could guarantee money be tied to actual games played? You play 100 percent of x games, 100 percent guaranteed $

Play 90 percent of x games, get 90 percent

And so on
Then you couldn't call it "guaranteed". It would be "game bonuses" or "incentive pay".

No reason why a contract can't be structured that way, that I know of. Problem is, teams started offering 100% guaranteed money to entice star players, so you might not be able to sign guys that are getting paid, no matter what happens.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Only the football player was making millions before then. Supply & demand. How many competent teachers or truck drivers are there? How many NFL caliber LTs? Not many more than one per team.
I would beg to differ a bit. There are excellent teachers, they are in high demand, but the system won't increase their pay, since the money isn't there. Same with most professions. Football players are paid a huge salary, because the system allows for it. Even some of the crappy LT's are making over a million a year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Then you couldn't call it "guaranteed". It would be "game bonuses" or "incentive pay".

No reason why a contract can't be structured that way, that I know of. Problem is, teams started offering 100% guaranteed money to entice star players, so you might not be able to sign guys that are getting paid, no matter what happens.
Again the cba wouldn’t do it.. 1st thing, need to not call it guaranteed

New name of 40 million for a 4 year deal.

1st year it’s 10 million New name 17 games . Each game check has the added to it. But if he isn’t on roster then New name isn’t there

again cab won’t go for it. But this would end the complaints of got his money and not playing

Reaction score
Again the cba wouldn’t do it.. 1st thing, need to not call it guaranteed

New name of 40 million for a 4 year deal.

1st year it’s 10 million New name 17 games . Each game check has the added to it. But if he isn’t on roster then New name isn’t there

again cab won’t go for it. But this would end the complaints of got his money and not playing
Yeah and let’s also consider they’d probably just want more $ for the games they “are” playing, citing injury as the reason. After all it’s not like they ask to get injured.
These contracts are always a moving target.