Backup QB

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There has been frequent talk of trading Hundley on this site so I thought I'd give my 2 cents. Hundley hasn't been given a long enough duration of snaps to determine what he brings as your starting QB. Honestly I was on the fence on him in college. He has the tools to be a good QB but he hasn't been given opportunity to show it. Therefore no teams have an idea what he is capable of. He had a flashy preseason his rookie year but so did Joe Callahan last year I believe, and he was an UDFA. I honestly would like to see more of Callahan who even Rodgers has complimented. I don't think we could trade Hundley but I guess beat case scenario would be a team like Houston looking to trade for competition witha rookie but I definitely wouldn't bet on that. Honestly I'm more excited to see Callahan this preseason overall!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hundley is a hidden gem. I wouldn't consider trading him for less than a mid 2nd rounder. Mid 1St rounder if he was more proven.

I think GB brass agrees. They. Kept him #2 over Callahan and tolzien. Who I also thought looked good early on...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley has a lot to show before anyone would give up those picks. Callahan did well in preseason, but was cut from Saints and Cleveland. The saints know good qb play, browns obviously do not. What does it mean? He doesn't have great physical skills, and just seemed to find a way to get it done. Was that because that's how he operates? Or just beginners luck and a function of the level of defenses and competition he faced?

Tolzien can throw the ball extremely well, but could never read defenses very well. 6 great passes never mattered when the 7th would be a pick.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hundley is a hidden gem. I wouldn't consider trading him for less than a mid 2nd rounder. Mid 1St rounder if he was more proven.

I think GB brass agrees. They. Kept him #2 over Callahan and tolzien. Who I also thought looked good early on...
What makes you think hidden gem? I can't see any team risking that high of a pick for him. I was surprised when we drafted him even though I had him going 4th to Houston. He is a bigger more athletic Bridgewater with a better arm. His ceiling is like Josh Freemanish I guess.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley has a lot to show before anyone would give up those picks. Callahan did well in preseason, but was cut from Saints and Cleveland. The saints know good qb play, browns obviously do not. What does it mean? He doesn't have great physical skills, and just seemed to find a way to get it done. Was that because that's how he operates? Or just beginners luck and a function of the level of defenses and competition he faced?

Tolzien can throw the ball extremely well, but could never read defenses very well. 6 great passes never mattered when the 7th would be a pick.
Tolzien is a journeyman backup. Early on I thought better of him but ultimately he makes bonehead throws. When it comes to Callahan even Rodgers called him a Gamer that just finds a way!!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes you think hidden gem? I can't see any team risking that high of a pick for him. I was surprised when we drafted him even though I had him going 4th to Houston. He is a bigger more athletic Bridgewater with a better arm. His ceiling is like Josh Freemanish I guess.
Qb is a wild card position... look at what some teams are willing to give up to move up to grab one of the top qbs in the draft!

What i seen in Hundley as a rookie, is something I maybe never seen in the Ted Thompson era. Rodgers was developed slow and wasn't hardly allowed to throw deep his rookie year. Hundley ran the offense and was hitting the short passes right away. They even let him throw deep a little. Not much success, but they let him...

Last year we hardly got a look at him. He was injured for preseason wasn't he? And when he came in during the season, I think he threw deep and was picked off. End of half bomb or something. Lol. The look on his face was like.... "Really!?". Lol.

But a tweaked ankle and one pass has not changed my mind on him. I am banking on the GB qb school to have him looking like a pro- bowler in year 3....

Reaction score
While I would love to see Hundley play as a starter for another team, he's still somewhat unproven in many teams eyes.
Although there are several NFL teams right now that I actually believe Brett could beat out the starter, there is minimal probability those few teams will reach out to GB, because Brett is a relative unknown.. there would be an entirely new system to learn and anyway, we would require a 1st round draft pick and possibly another high draft pick to trade a solid #2 QB
Its not worth trading a good backup QB for a 2nd round pick etc.. that's like in Chess trading a Rook for a Bishop while the Rook is in position to take out the Queen and assume her position. No thanks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I would love to trade Hundley for a first or second rounder but unfortunately no team is stupid enough to give up such a pick for a quarterback completely unproven.

I am banking on the GB qb school to have him looking like a pro- bowler in year 3....

Hopefully Hundley doesn't receive any meaningful snaps in the regular season as the Packers are done with Rodgers missing an extended period of time.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Hundley was ever going to be traded, it would be after the pre-season, and he'd have to turn in a solid one at that. Then a team bit by the injury bug or perhaps looking less than stellar at QB might could be fleeced by TT for no more than a 3rd Round pick. But again, Hundley has to look absolutely solid, as in ready for the bright lights; not necessarily the Pro Bowl but like he can lead a team to adding more to the win column than the loss column.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hundley has 2 more seasons on his contract, which gives him 2 more pre seasons to prove his value to the Packers or another team. Even with that, unless he gets some regular season action and has a Matt Flynn like game, his value to other teams will be minimal. If both Hundley and Callahan have respectable pre seasons, the Packers biggest decision will come down to having 3 QB's on their 53 man roster or take what they can get for one of them, which at the end of pre season, during a time when most teams are struggling with who to cut, isn't a lot.

If the Packers really like Callahan, possibly the best time to trade Hundley would be during the draft, package him with or without a pick to leverage themselves to move up and grab a guy they really want. But seeing that he hasn't seen much action in the last year and 1/2, might be best to hang on to him, see what he can do.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would love to see Hundley play as a starter for another team, he's still somewhat unproven in many teams eyes.
Although there are several NFL teams right now that I actually believe Brett could beat out the starter, there is minimal probability those few teams will reach out to GB, because Brett is a relative unknown.. there would be an entirely new system to learn and anyway, we would require a 1st round draft pick and possibly another high draft pick to trade a solid #2 QB
Its not worth trading a good backup QB for a 2nd round pick etc.. that's like in Chess trading a Rook for a Bishop while the Rook is in position to take out the Queen and assume her position. No thanks

still somewhat unproven in many teams eyes.??? If he is not unproven in every team's eyes those teams need to have their eyes checked.

Brett is a relative unknown- relative unknown, how about just an unknown.

A first rounder and possibly another high pick? Who is this guy? Jimmy Garappolo?

So you are high on Brett Hundley (your high on something that's for sure) That's fine, a lot of people are but to think he has shown anything that could be used as a legitimate reason we could even recoup our original 5th round pick much less a first rounder and then some is ludicrous.

I don't see any reason to talk trade for Hundley because I doubt we would get much and like Poker said we might as well hold onto him and see what we really have. Who knows maybe he has 1 1/2 good games like JG did with the Patriots and we can land a basket full of picks for him.

For the record I think the multiple picks being talked about for JG is ludicrous as well.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
still somewhat unproven in many teams eyes.??? If he is not unproven in every team's eyes those teams need to have their eyes checked.

A first rounder and possibly another high pick? Who is this guy? Jimmy Garappolo?

So you are high on Brett Hundley (your high on something that's for sure) That's fine, a lot of people are but to think he has shown anything that could be used as a legitimate reason we could even recoup our original 5th round pick much less a first rounder and then some is ludicrous.

I don't see any reason to talk trade for Hundley because I doubt we would get much and like Poker said we might as well hold onto him and see what we really have. Who knows maybe he has 1 1/2 good games like JG did with the Patriots and we can land a basket full of picks for him.

For the record I think the multiple picks being talked about for JG is ludicrous as well.
Originally I said it would take a high 2nd to trade him right now. And if he didn't get hurt last preseason, and instead impressed... I wouldn't trade him for less than a mid 1St rounder.

Why?
Because good qbs aren't easy to find. That's why. We didn't have a good backup qb for a few years. And it was kind of lame that the season literally rode on #12s shoulders. It took a wasted 2nd round pick before we drafted Flynn in the 7th. Then it took years before Flynn was a worthy backup... after he left, we didn't have squat.

I think Hundley is that guy.

Even if a team offered a 2nd round pick for him... I doubt we could draft a replacement that would be as good. Not right away at least

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley has 2 more seasons on his contract, which gives him 2 more pre seasons to prove his value to the Packers or another team. Even with that, unless he gets some regular season action and has a Matt Flynn like game, his value to other teams will be minimal. If both Hundley and Callahan have respectable pre seasons, the Packers biggest decision will come down to having 3 QB's on their 53 man roster or take what they can get for one of them, which at the end of pre season, during a time when most teams are struggling with who to cut, isn't a lot.

If the Packers really like Callahan, possibly the best time to trade Hundley would be during the draft, package him with or without a pick to leverage themselves to move up and grab a guy they really want. But seeing that he hasn't seen much action in the last year and 1/2, might be best to hang on to him, see what he can do.
You have Callahan above Hundley on depth chart? Or just looking at trade value?

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if Hundley had a great preseason, and there was a team that was thrown into a position somewhat similar to Minnesota's last year where their starting quarterback goes down for the year, you could see a trade then. I mean franchise players go down every year. Imagine if a team with an older quarterback like Pittsburgh or San Diego had an injury like that. My guess would be they'd go after New England's backup, but if he gets traded before they got the chance or if they don't want to give up what NE wants, you could see someone like Hundley getting some trade interest. That's a lot of what ifs, but I don't see the Packers getting enough interest to really create a trade until next offseason unless something like I said happened. Just my opinion though.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also don't see Hundley getting traded before the Patriots deal Jimmy G because teams have so much more tape on him and regular season tape at that. That is unless the Patriots are asking for some crazy, unrealistic return on the trade.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You have Callahan above Hundley on depth chart? Or just looking at trade value?

On the depth chart, I would place Hundley ahead of Callahan. Trade value, hands down Hundley would have more value. More....as in some. Callahan has been cut 3 times in the last 6 months, he would barely fetch a ham sandwich right now.

As far as teams trading for either, because their starting QB goes down, don't count on it. When that happens, teams look for veteran players with experience. Every team has a #2 and even a #3 that they are either developing or is a veteran. As much as we all want to think Hundley and Callahan are special, they will both need to prove it in regular season games.

Reaction score

an unknown to all 32 teams? Really?? Do you really believe there is zero interest in a QB at the professional level simply because he hasn't started on a team or wasn't a top 5 overall pick? That's not only a cocky statement, it shows a total disregard for Brett's history and current status within our system. Yes, I'll stick up for Brett Hundley in a heartbeat you're dead wrong calling him being our #2 ludicrous.
There is a reason why many great GM's attempt to draft a QB often even if the team doesn't necessarily need them at that juncture

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

If Hundley was ever going to be traded, it would be after the pre-season, and he'd have to turn in a solid one at that. Then a team bit by the injury bug or perhaps looking less than stellar at QB might could be fleeced by TT for no more than a 3rd Round pick. But again, Hundley has to look absolutely solid, as in ready for the bright lights; not necessarily the Pro Bowl but like he can lead a team to adding more to the win column than the loss column.
When you see a QB who's thrown all of 10 passes in money games happen to play well in preseason against second and third stringers (2015), many of whom will never take a snap in this league, the reaction should be, "that's kinda interesting; I'd like to see more." It is not, "oh, boy, I'm gonna pay up for this guy!"

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone who thinks Hundley can ve traded for 1st or 2nd give me specific plays that have shown he is starting caliber? He is an athletic QB with decent arm, thats all I can say other than he impressed vs 2's and 3's in a couple preseason games.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
For the few posters here that advocate for high draft picks for Hundley. What type of season will he and the Packers have if Aaron goes down like Romo did. Offensively does he put up Dak type numbers?

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't like the idea of trading Hundley after the preseason as it would leave the Packers without a decent backup only a week before the start of the season.

Originally I said it would take a high 2nd to trade him right now. And if he didn't get hurt last preseason, and instead impressed... I wouldn't trade him for less than a mid 1St rounder.

It's absolute insane to believe a team would offer a mid first round pick in a trade for Hundley after every single team decided he wasn't worth being drafted until the fifth round only two years ago.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley isn't going anywhere in 2017. He had one pretty good pre-season two years ago and got Khalil Mack'd the second -that's his resume. I think the kid can be pretty good, but he hasn't done anything meaningful yet, and until he does he's not going to net anything in a trade that would make it worthwhile for the Packers. Barring injury, he's your #2 quarterback for 2017.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather keep Hundley than trade him for a midround or a lateround pick. Callahan showed grit but it was preseason and I don't believe he is a bonafide pro QB.

Staff online

Latest posts