Backup QB

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Callahan showed grit but it was preseason and I don't believe he is a bonafide pro QB.

The fact that Callahan was waived by the Cleveland Browns, who are desperate to find an NFL quarterback, would seem to add weight to your assessment.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Callahan showed grit but it was preseason and I don't believe he is a bonafide pro QB.
They said the same about Flutie, and that's really who the kid reminds me of. He won't get a real shot in the NFL until a team becomes desperate, and then, maybe, he might shine.

Hundley is our solid #2 and I'm happy with that. Rodgers is certainly not immune to injury.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
The fact that Callahan was waived by the Cleveland Browns, who are desperate to find an NFL quarterback, would seem to add weight to your assessment.
Not too many QB's looked good in Cleveland, mush less stayed healthy w/ that OL. I think the Browns signed him, in case they lost another QB. IMO, Callahan has a better chance to succeed in GB. The guy has talent, you don't win the equivalent of the D3 Heisman trophy if your a scrub.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, the browns don't seem to do well with QB's, but the Saints seem to know a thing about them, and he was waived form there too. What does it mean? take from it what you will. Callahan may be a gamer and can just pull things out. Or he may have some trends that are easy to spot on tape and after 6 weeks or regular play he's throwing as many picks as he is TD's.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not too many QB's looked good in Cleveland, mush less stayed healthy w/ that OL. I think the Browns signed him, in case they lost another QB. IMO, Callahan has a better chance to succeed in GB. The guy has talent, you don't win the equivalent of the D3 Heisman trophy if your a scrub.

I am not saying Callahan won't be a good QB someday, but if you look at the past winners of the Gagliardi Trophy (D3 equivalent of the Heisman) it doesn't scream "NFL Future" to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gagliardi_Trophy

Last edited:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
yeah, the browns don't seem to do well with QB's, but the Saints seem to know a thing about them, and he was waived form there too. What does it mean? take from it what you will. Callahan may be a gamer and can just pull things out. Or he may have some trends that are easy to spot on tape and after 6 weeks or regular play he's throwing as many picks as he is TD's.
The Saints released him after a week to make room on the roster for someone else, and maybe the Saints were hoping he would clear waivers, and then sign him to their practice squad? The Browns claimed him off waivers, and then the they released him, and at the time it was thought to make room for RG3. Could be a few reasons why he was released a couple times.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if Hundley had a great preseason, and there was a team that was thrown into a position somewhat similar to Minnesota's last year where their starting quarterback goes down for the year, you could see a trade then. I mean franchise players go down every year. Imagine if a team with an older quarterback like Pittsburgh or San Diego had an injury like that. My guess would be they'd go after New England's backup, but if he gets traded before they got the chance or if they don't want to give up what NE wants, you could see someone like Hundley getting some trade interest. That's a lot of what ifs, but I don't see the Packers getting enough interest to really create a trade until next offseason unless something like I said happened. Just my opinion though.

If a teams starter goes down for the year I doubt that team would trade for Brett Hundley or Jimmy Garoppolo. Most likely they would look for a veteran backup just like the vikings did. The only way I could really see a trade for a player like BH or JG in that situation though is if the team with the injured QB would have had some interest in BH or JG even before the injury to their starter. .If its a team like Pittsburgh or Los Angeles Chargers (gotta get used to that :)) with an older QB that the team was planning on moving on from sooner rather than later then that might increase the odds of them going for a younger guy but I still think they would look for a veteran and address the situation the following year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the depth chart, I would place Hundley ahead of Callahan. Trade value, hands down Hundley would have more value. More....as in some. Callahan has been cut 3 times in the last 6 months, he would barely fetch a ham sandwich right now.

As far as teams trading for either, because their starting QB goes down, don't count on it. When that happens, teams look for veteran players with experience. Every team has a #2 and even a #3 that they are either developing or is a veteran. As much as we all want to think Hundley and Callahan are special, they will both need to prove it in regular season games.

I gotta learn to read all the posts before I hit reply. You know Poker, going back to the James Jones thing its kind of scary just how much alike we think. As far as I know I didn't have a twin that I was separated from at birth.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
an unknown to all 32 teams? Really?? Do you really believe there is zero interest in a QB at the professional level simply because he hasn't started on a team or wasn't a top 5 overall pick? That's not only a cocky statement, it shows a total disregard for Brett's history and current status within our system. Yes, I'll stick up for Brett Hundley in a heartbeat you're dead wrong calling him being our #2 ludicrous.
There is a reason why many great GM's attempt to draft a QB often even if the team doesn't necessarily need them at that juncture

What? I'm trying to make sense out of this so I can respond. OK he is an unknown to 31 teams, Obviously we know what we have. Or do we? We brought back Callaghan so maybe we don't know what we have in Brett Hundley yet. I think you are taking my use of the term "unknown" too litterally. Obviously teams know of him or I would at least hope so if their GMs are even half way competent. When I said unknown I meant that there is still very little for anyone to go on. Not much more IMO than any QB eligible for the draft in a few weeks or any more than a whole bunch of other young QBs who have played in a handful of preseason games. Essentially he is unknown. No I do not believe there is zero interest in BH. I'm sure there would be teams who would be interested in bringing him in to see what he could do. To think they would give up anything more than a day 3 pick I do think is drinking a little too much of the Koolaid.

you're dead wrong calling him being our #2 ludicrous. Again, what? I didn't say anything about him being our #2 but what would you call him. He isn't our #1 and if you are saying he is our #3 then it may be you who showing disregard for him. I don't know if I would say he is our #2 or #3 right now because I honestly haven't seen enough from him or Callaghan to make the choice. That's the type of decision coaches make based as much as what they see in camp and in practice as they do in a few preseason games.

GMs draft QBs all the time. They draft guys that they think may be able to become something in the NFL. That is what Ted did with BH. That is what any GM who might be interested in trading for BH would do, acquire him because he thinks he can become something. I never said anything about what I think BH can become. I never said I would trade him for a mid round pick. I never said I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a first rounder. In fact I said I would keep him because, for what we could get for him its worth holding on to him because he may be something and we would not get much for him. All I said was that, based on my observations, he has done nothing to warrant a #1 pick and then some as some people have suggested.

Bottom line is you may not trade him for anything less than a first rounder and that's fine but if you think any team would offer a first round pick for him you are crazy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I gotta learn to read all the posts before I hit reply. You know Poker, going back to the James Jones thing its kind of scary just how much alike we think. As far as I know I didn't have a twin that I was separated from at birth.

LOL....I noticed that. Do you by chance have a long scar up your right side that matches the one on my left side? LOL

As long as you keep giving me credit for our good ideas and willing to take blame for our bad ideas....welcome to the family Bro!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the depth chart, I would place Hundley ahead of Callahan. Trade value, hands down Hundley would have more value. More....as in some. Callahan has been cut 3 times in the last 6 months, he would barely fetch a ham sandwich right now.

As far as teams trading for either, because their starting QB goes down, don't count on it. When that happens, teams look for veteran players with experience. Every team has a #2 and even a #3 that they are either developing or is a veteran. As much as we all want to think Hundley and Callahan are special, they will both need to prove it in regular season games.

Again. My original statement was 2nd rounder to get me to trade him. 1St if he showed more last season.... I never said I thought we should trade him.

I did learn, that as usual, I value our guys more than other teams do...

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree he has a better chance of success in Green Bay than Cleveland. I'm also not comfortable yet with making him the #2 guy in Green Bay - Looking good in games that don't matter against second and third-tier talent isn't a great resume to fall back on.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm also not comfortable yet with making him the #2 guy in Green Bay - Looking good in games that don't matter against second and third-tier talent isn't a great resume to fall back on.

True, yet there are some posters convinced another team would give up a first rounder to acquire Hundley.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bench AR12!!!

- Some posters during the 4 game losing streak last season.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the few posters here that advocate for high draft picks for Hundley. What type of season will he and the Packers have if Aaron goes down like Romo did. Offensively does he put up Dak type numbers?
I would like to think that...
Dak and Elliott had a pretty special season....
Hundley. He can run! That is what sets him ahead of the rest imo. I'm assuming he looked great last year, because he got injured in his second year, and still was the #2 qb without question...now if he had progressed like Rodgers did, sitting behind a hall of famer for 3 years.... he will have tuned up his long ball.....and he will be a complete qb. I'm optimistic.

Reaction score
When you see a QB who's thrown all of 10 passes in money games happen to play well in preseason against second and third stringers (2015), many of whom will never take a snap in this league, the reaction should be, "that's kinda interesting; I'd like to see more." It is not, "oh, boy, I'm gonna pay up for this guy!"
Play well? That's a bit understated. Do you honestly think GB would put him #2 behind one of the greatest QBs to play the game if they didn't think he was capable of starting?
People forget that QBs that excel in GB are highly touted. That in itself makes him somewhat valuable.. but I doubt GB is gonna sell his stock while it has potential to go public and skyrocket in value AND at the same time currently serve as valuable insurance behind Aaron.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What? I'm trying to make sense out of this so I can respond. OK he is an unknown to 31 teams, Obviously we know what we have. Or do we? We brought back Callaghan so maybe we don't know what we have in Brett Hundley yet. I think you are taking my use of the term "unknown" too litterally. No I do not believe there is zero interest in BH. I'm sure there would be teams who would be interested in bringing him in to see what he could do. To think they would give up anything more than a day 3 pick I do think is drinking a little too much of the Koolaid.
Bottom line is you may not trade him for anything less than a first rounder and that's fine but if you think any team would offer a first round pick for him you are crazy.
Apologize. It appears I misinterpreted your comment. However, I flat out disagree with him being not worth more than a day 3 draft pick. He was a day 3 draft pick to begin with btw so that shows where your view of BH is. It's ok I respect your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree either :sneaky:
I do think Hundley is like a stock that has great potential and it would be unwise to sell before letting it go public so to speak. Now, I'm no Genie.. he may flop next month.. but I think we've seen enough of him to know that's unlikely.
IMO we won't trade him for the reason I stated but if a team could this trade him I believe he would currently be 2nd round tender give or take.
Keep In mind, He was a Division I standout in college that should've been gone by the 4th round. We then traded up picks to get him in the 5th.
He has a high football IQ and then led ALL QBs in preseason in 2015.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...ley-finishes-as-nfls-preseason-passing-leader

He was injured last year so we didn't get a good evaluation one way or another.
Hopefully we won't see him playing regular season but it wouldn't surprise me to see him start for a team one day soon

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I think both you extremely overvalue Hundley because of his performance against second and third stringers during the preseason two years ago. He struggled in limited snaps in the regular season in 2016 completing only 20% of his passes. There's no reason to believe another team would give up anything more than a day 3 pick in return to acquire him.

People forget that QBs that excel in GB are highly touted. That in itself makes him somewhat valuable...

You might want to rethink that as since Rodgers became the starter in 2008 all of the quarterbacks that were on the Packers roster at any point during the offseason or regular season have gone on to start only a combined four games for other teams in the league not winning a single one.

In addition Hundley has yet to excel in Green Bay.

H

HardRightEdge

Play well? That's a bit understated. Do you honestly think GB would put him #2 behind one of the greatest QBs to play the game if they didn't think he was capable of starting?.
Define "capable of starting". You mean like Scott Tolzien and Graham Harrell? How about B.J. Coleman and then Vince Young as your backup right up to the week before opening day, then grabbing Seneca Wallace off the reject pile? These examples say nothing about Hundley's capabilities, however there is a recent history of backup QB being an afterthought or wishful thinking.
People forget that QBs that excel in GB are highly touted. That in itself makes him somewhat valuable. but I doubt GB is gonna sell stock while it has potential to go public and skyrocket in value AND at the same time currently serve as valuable insurance behind Aaron.
So, which backup QBs have excelled in Green Bay and thus were "highly touted"? Well, there's Favre as the presumptive backup for 2008, LOL, who eventually yielded the Jet's 3rd. round pick. Or Rodgers (a first round pick) as Favre's backup? I don't think that's what you're talking about here. ;)

So, who else? Matt Flynn is one. He got a nice contract from Seattle as their presumptive starter, but it turned out he couldn't play anywhere but Green Bay. Maybe it was a dead arm. Maybe it was spending more time playing ping pong than studying the playbook.

Other than Flynn, you have to go back roughly two decades, prior to the Thompson GM era, to a cluster of backup QBs who eventually saw some success:

- Hasselbeck traded in 2001
- Brooks traded in 2000
- Brunell traded in 1995

McCarthy has a history of QB development, but other than Rodgers and Flynn that's reaching back 2 decades and more: GB for one year in 1999 as QB coach, KC (Grbac, Bono) and NO (Brooks). As head coach, not QB coach or OC, attention would be divided.

People here were still talking about the vaunted McCarthy QB camp as recently as a year or two ago, even though that went out the window with the 2011 CBA.

So, what do you want from a backup QB?

First, he needs to be on a cheap deal, preferably a cheap rookie deal. Hundley qualifies.

Second, you don't want to spend a high pick for a guy who may never play. Check again.

Third, if you can get 0.500 ball out of him against on-balance average competition in holding down the fort for a few games, then you've got a winner. Is that Hundley? I would hope we don't get a chance to find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apologize. It appears I misinterpreted your comment. However, I flat out disagree with him being not worth more than a day 3 draft pick. He was a day 3 draft pick to begin with btw so that shows where your view of BH is. It's ok I respect your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree either :sneaky:
I do think Hundley is like a stock that has great potential and it would be unwise to sell before letting it go public so to speak. Now, I'm no Genie.. he may flop next month.. but I think we've seen enough of him to know that's unlikely.
IMO we won't trade him for the reason I stated but if a team could this trade him I believe he would currently be 2nd round tender give or take.
Keep In mind, He was a Division I standout in college that should've been gone by the 4th round. We then traded up picks to get him in the 5th.
He has a high football IQ and then led ALL QBs in preseason in 2015.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...ley-finishes-as-nfls-preseason-passing-leader

He was injured last year so we didn't get a good evaluation one way or another.
Hopefully we won't see him playing regular season but it wouldn't surprise me to see him start for a team one day soon

Like you said, I respect your opinion but I disagree with your first paragraph. I do agree with the rest of what you said. IMO it would be foolish to give him away for a day three pick and since I think that's all we could get for him I think it would be foolish to trade him away. You drafted a guy, invested time and resources in his development and he shows promise now you want to trade him for basically what you got for him. Not a wise move.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like you said, I respect your opinion but I disagree with your first paragraph. I do agree with the rest of what you said. IMO it would be foolish to give him away for a day three pick and since I think that's all we could get for him I think it would be foolish to trade him away. You drafted a guy, invested time and resources in his development and he shows promise now you want to trade him for basically what you got for him. Not a wise move.
So now that you have established his value to our team, in your mind. What draft pick would make you tip the scales, and decide, OK! Trade him...?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts