Backup QB Competition: UDFA Tim Boyle Should Challenge Hundley And Kizer

Will Boyle Beat Out Kizer And Hundley For Rodgers's Backup Spot?

• Total voters
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That might be open to discussion/interpretation. :)

www.nfl.com/player/brianbrohm/198/profile

Not much point in comparing two bad apples. Brohm was a perfect example though of why nobody, not even a backup QB should never be given the keys to the kingdom without serious competition. Hundley hasn't been forced to compete and it's about damn time he was.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Really? Boyle is going to win the backup job?

Don't make me bring this guy back!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Boyle is going to win the backup job?

Don't make me bring this guy back!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Well, he might suck but beating out the god awful play of Hundley is something even he has his work cut out to do.

All I can say is I sure hope Deondre Francois falls in our lap this next draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

All I can say is I sure hope Deondre Francois falls in our lap this next draft.

With the Packers having drafted for Kizer this offseason it's definitely premature thinking about a quarterback still having two years of college eligibility.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers having drafted for Kizer this offseason it's definitely premature thinking about a quarterback still having two years of college eligibility.

True, but if he has a great year this year he very well might declare. Course in that case, he might not be on the board assuming our season goes all the way to Atlanta or close to it.

All that to say though, I think most of us have an open mind to seeing what Kizer can do. It's just that it's still 50/50 as to whether or not we can hit the reset button on him coming out of Cleveland, or if he's already damaged goods. I'm hopeful he is an improvement over Mr Dumpster fire, but I'll only believe it when I see it.

If he does work out, we'll be set and won't have to worry about Francois or whoever next year. But I certainly think if he doesn't, this coaching staff needs to stop experimenting around with college offense QBs from offenses vastly different from MM's, and get smart and actually pick Jimbo Fisher, Bobby Petrino, or Jim Harbaugh offense QBs who actually would fit the glove.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

True, but if he has a great year this year he very well might declare. Course in that case, he might not be on the board assuming our season goes all the way to Atlanta or close to it.

Even if Kizer doesn't work out I don't want the Packers to spend a first round pick on a backup quarterback.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if Kizer doesn't work out I don't want the Packers to spend a first round pick on a backup quarterback.
But we don't even know if he'd go first round yet. All depends on what the talking heads would sell him at.
No doubt we won't be spending any first round draft picks on QBs at least until we know Rodgers's retirement is imminent. But I certainly think somewhere around round three or four if a decent QB is there, I'd grab him if Kizer isn't cutting it, or if God forbid Hundley hasn't been booted out of here yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

No doubt we won't be spending any first round draft picks on QBs at least until we know Rodgers's retirement is imminent. But I certainly think somewhere around round three or four if a decent QB is there, I'd grab him if Kizer isn't cutting it, or if God forbid Hundley hasn't been booted out of here yet.

I would be fine with spending a day three pick on a quarterback if the backup situation hasn't been taken care of with Kizer.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Tim Boyle, UDFA, QB from Eastern Kentucky got signed by us. I'm going to implore on Mike McCarthy that he needs to open up that competition for Rodgers's backup spot very wide and give Boyle an equal slice of the pie with Kizer and Hundley. I say he's gotta get very meaningful preseason action, and if he outperforms them (which I think he will), I say bump him immediately up into Rodgers's backup spot. I really don't care if he was an UDFA from an FCS school because I am willing to bet he has a stronger arm and understands McCarthy's offense better than the other two.

I say Mike McCarthy should not play any favorites with his backups, and I don't care if it's a risk to make a rookie UDFA the immediate backup QB. Do it anyway! No more letting UCLA busts steal money from this team.

This stuff sorts itself out, no need to fret.

If Boyke is the better QB, he'll have his chance to prove it. I wouldn't hold my breath, however.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Tim Boyle, UDFA, QB from Eastern Kentucky got signed by us. I'm going to implore on Mike McCarthy that he needs to open up that competition for Rodgers's backup spot very wide and give Boyle an equal slice of the pie with Kizer and Hundley. I say he's gotta get very meaningful preseason action, and if he outperforms them (which I think he will), I say bump him immediately up into Rodgers's backup spot. I really don't care if he was an UDFA from an FCS school because I am willing to bet he has a stronger arm and understands McCarthy's offense better than the other two.

I say Mike McCarthy should not play any favorites with his backups, and I don't care if it's a risk to make a rookie UDFA the immediate backup QB. Do it anyway! No more letting UCLA busts steal money from this team.

Ok I can guarantee you that no matter what happens in the pre season barring an injury. Kizer will be the backup QB. They didn't get fleeced on a trade for him just to cut him before the season. They gave up a first round pick who they knew was playing out of position and who they probably believe is going to preform very well for the browns back at his natural free safety spot (5 picks min). Now he may beat out hundley and end up on the practice squad while hundley is sent packing

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with spending a day three pick on a quarterback if the backup situation hasn't been taken care of with Kizer.

If you're only willing to give a 22 year old QB one or two years to figure it out, then I think you'll be very disappointed with what you get on a day 3 pick at QB.

The new CBA rules have really hurt QB development under McCarthy.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boyle is a camp arm. No way he makes the roster and it's not because Kizer and Hundley were drafted and he was not. It's because they have more talent.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There is no doubt that finding AR's replacement isn't going to be an easy task, especially one nearly as good as AR and it could be painful for Packer fans to watch. However, I really don't understand some fans desire to start trying to do that at this stage in #12's career. IMO, you are wasting draft picks on finding a backup that you hope will see no meaningful snaps for the remainder of Rodgers career. Meanwhile, you have used a pick that could be better spent on a position of more urgent need. Sure you might beat all odds and find a gem and trade that gem for draft capital at the end of his 4th year, since Rodgers should still be here. However, the odds say that you are probably going to end up with a guy like Hundley, a guy that may look good in college and maybe even in practice, but due to certain factors, won't be able to produce on the field when you need him to, as a back-up. I was semi-ok with the Kizer trade, at least Kizer has a season of playing under his belt, but I still think the backup job would be better served by a vet with more experience, one acquired via free agency or a trade.

I was at least happy with this years draft for the Packers, in the fact that despite all their picks, they didn't throw one at a QB. When the time to find #12's replacement is a few years out, I'm ready to talk about drafting the next future QB of the franchise.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no doubt that finding AR's replacement isn't going to be an easy task, especially one nearly as good as AR and it could be painful for Packer fans to watch. However, I really don't understand some fans desire to start trying to do that at this stage in #12's career. IMO, you are wasting draft picks on finding a backup that you hope will see no meaningful snaps for the remainder of Rodgers career. Meanwhile, you have used a pick that could be better spent on a position of more urgent need. Sure you might beat all odds and find a gem and trade that gem for draft capital at the end of his 4th year, since Rodgers should still be here. However, the odds say that you are probably going to end up with a guy like Hundley, a guy that may look good in college and maybe even in practice, but due to certain factors, won't be able to produce on the field when you need him to, as a back-up. I was semi-ok with the Kizer trade, at least Kizer has a season of playing under his belt, but I still think the backup job would be better served by a vet with more experience, one acquired via free agency or a trade.

I was at least happy with this years draft for the Packers, in the fact that despite all their picks, they didn't throw one at a QB. When the time to find #12's replacement is a few years out, I'm ready to talk about drafting the next future QB of the franchise.
No doubt. Since Rodgers has been drafted there have been maybe 3 QB's drafted that may have had his potential and to this point zero in 10 years have come close to or sustained what he has. yeah, yeah i know He hasn't finished as the #1 passer in the league every year and if that's your metric, enjoy it. meanwhile us and the rest of the NFL will realize it's been Brady and Rodgers as the best 2 QB's in this league for a while now. Meanwhile lots of other qb's come and go and people think we're going to go find another one while he have a pretty rare one in our laps right now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No doubt. Since Rodgers has been drafted there have been maybe 3 QB's drafted that may have had his potential and to this point zero in 10 years have come close to or sustained what he has. yeah, yeah i know He hasn't finished as the #1 passer in the league every year and if that's your metric, enjoy it. meanwhile us and the rest of the NFL will realize it's been Brady and Rodgers as the best 2 QB's in this league for a while now. Meanwhile lots of other qb's come and go and people think we're going to go find another one while he have a pretty rare one in our laps right now.

Agree and toss in that we replaced a HOF QB with another one and that just might be expected next time by younger fans who have seen nothing but HOF QB's in GB for the past what....23+ years. Maybe those are the fans who are starting to think its that easy and that necessary right now, since afterall, TT drafted AR way before Favre was ready to hang it up.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ok I can guarantee you that no matter what happens in the pre season barring an injury. Kizer will be the backup QB.

The front office and coaching staff definitely expect Kizer to be a significant upgrade over Hundley. I'm not convinced that will end up being true.

If you're only willing to give a 22 year old QB one or two years to figure it out, then I think you'll be very disappointed with what you get on a day 3 pick at QB.

I don't expect Kizer to perform at an elite level by any means but hope he will show the potential to be a decent backup for Rodgers. Otherwise the Packers should bring in competition for the backup job next offseason.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley's problem wasn't arm strength, it was mental processing speed. Somehow I doubt a guy who threw for 11 TD's vs 13 INT's his senior year against crappy competition is going to be any better.
Hi Janis. You’ve nailed it w Hundley. He couldn’t slow down the game in his mind. If his first option was covered, he lowered his eyes and scrambled resulting in a lot of sacks (he holds the ball too long, same as at UCLA) or he threw a pic or an incompletion. Sorry, but after three years these things can’t be fixed. Let Boyle and Kizer compete, and cut Hundley, now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hi Janis. You’ve nailed it w Hundley. He couldn’t slow down the game in his mind. If his first option was covered, he lowered his eyes and scrambled resulting in a lot of sacks (he holds the ball too long, same as at UCLA) or he threw a pic or an incompletion. Sorry, but after three years these things can’t be fixed. Let Boyle and Kizer compete, and cut Hundley, now.

Captain beat me to it, but why would you cut Hundley? I get people were disappointed in his play last year, but you need 4 QB's in camp and with Rodgers not seeing a lot of preseason action, 3 in those games is fine. I doubt Boyle is even close to where Hundley is in development and as I said in another thread, how sure are we of Kizer? If all 3 don't look good, time to sign a Vet QB in August.

Members online

Latest posts