Backup QB Competition: UDFA Tim Boyle Should Challenge Hundley And Kizer

Will Boyle Beat Out Kizer And Hundley For Rodgers's Backup Spot?

• Total voters
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So instead of trading both our first round picks to move up next year we should trade them both and might as well trade our 2nd and 3rd rounders too, to get lots and lots of day three picks since you can get good players at every position in the late rounds.

For every Tom Brady and Kurt Warner you have dozens and dozens of QBs chosen late who do not amount to a hill of beans.

Ok lol, I may have "overstated the round drafted doesn't matter" thing, but QBs can be a different animal to evaluate sometimes. There's definitely been plenty of teams who've grabbed the early round Matt Leinarts, Jemarcus Russells or Johnny Manziels and seen them go into the garbage cans while late picks like the Hasselbacks have had ... Well not Rodgers numbers but still good careers even if they were better as backups.

To me, round 5 QBs should still have enough skill to make NFL throws into tight windows and know how to get their footwork down. Hundley obviously can't do that and has proven his draft was so massively inflated it was a bubble bigger than the 2008 housing market. He's the worst of the worst QBs in the league.

Now, I think we all know most late round QBs aren't going to meet the gold standard of Brady or Warner, but I'm willing to bank on at least 80℅ of them being better than Hundley.

And going back to Captain WIMM's post, I probably should've called out Ted Thompson for getting a half baked idea to draft Hundley, and number 2 for not getting another backup to make him compete against.

If we're going to get the right backup QB here to backup Rodgers, they should be from a college offense that's a carbon copy of MM's offense.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no reason to criticize our scouts because of it as most quarterbacks either being drafted in the sixth round or not at all didn't even play in an NFL game. Brady and Warner are rare exceptions.

They should do their jobs then and not go grabbing QBs from dumb zone read offenses like the one Hundley came from. Or advocate for QBs like him who go taking a ridiculously high amount of sacks.

Someone needs to tell them to stick to QBs running offenses that are carbon copies of Mike McCarthy's.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no doubt that finding AR's replacement isn't going to be an easy task, especially one nearly as good as AR and it could be painful for Packer fans to watch. However, I really don't understand some fans desire to start trying to do that at this stage in #12's career. IMO, you are wasting draft picks on finding a backup that you hope will see no meaningful snaps for the remainder of Rodgers career. Meanwhile, you have used a pick that could be better spent on a position of more urgent need. Sure you might beat all odds and find a gem and trade that gem for draft capital at the end of his 4th year, since Rodgers should still be here. However, the odds say that you are probably going to end up with a guy like Hundley, a guy that may look good in college and maybe even in practice, but due to certain factors, won't be able to produce on the field when you need him to, as a back-up. I was semi-ok with the Kizer trade, at least Kizer has a season of playing under his belt, but I still think the backup job would be better served by a vet with more experience, one acquired via free agency or a trade.

I was at least happy with this years draft for the Packers, in the fact that despite all their picks, they didn't throw one at a QB. When the time to find #12's replacement is a few years out, I'm ready to talk about drafting the next future QB of the franchise.

I think getting Kizer from Cleveland had a lot to do with them not taking a QB this year. Basically he is their rookie QB. Mike McCartyhy's shiny new toy. It would have been pointless to draft a QB this year unless they planned on carrying 3 or trying to sneak him onto the practice squad. I n a perfect world you could have it all. Your stud #1 QB, your wily veteran backup and your promising young buck to develop. Unfortunately the lack of quality starters makes it so that even the most mediocre wily veterans are given a chance to compete for a starting position somewhere so unless you are fortunate enough to have your stud #1 QB under a rookie deal you probably can't afford to outbid QB starved teams for that wily veteran so you are stuck with the promising young buck.

A trade I could see but I really don't think there are any free agents out there that appeal to me. At least not over Kizer at this point

D

Deleted member 6794

If we're going to get the right backup QB here to backup Rodgers, they should be from a college offense that's a carbon copy of MM's offense.

There aren't a lot of college offenses festuring a pro style offense let alpne a carbon copy of the one McCarthy runs.

Members online

Latest posts