Backup QB Competition: UDFA Tim Boyle Should Challenge Hundley And Kizer

Will Boyle Beat Out Kizer And Hundley For Rodgers's Backup Spot?

• Total voters

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Tim Boyle, UDFA, QB from Eastern Kentucky got signed by us. I'm going to implore on Mike McCarthy that he needs to open up that competition for Rodgers's backup spot very wide and give Boyle an equal slice of the pie with Kizer and Hundley. I say he's gotta get very meaningful preseason action, and if he outperforms them (which I think he will), I say bump him immediately up into Rodgers's backup spot. I really don't care if he was an UDFA from an FCS school because I am willing to bet he has a stronger arm and understands McCarthy's offense better than the other two.

I say Mike McCarthy should not play any favorites with his backups, and I don't care if it's a risk to make a rookie UDFA the immediate backup QB. Do it anyway! No more letting UCLA busts steal money from this team.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boyle has not had one year in his career where he's thrown more TD's than INT's.

Yes, he's "pro-style", yes, he's got a big arm, and yes, he sucks.

Anyways, Kizer has a rocket too, so if you're into QB's with big arms, you should like Kizer.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley's problem wasn't arm strength, it was mental processing speed. Somehow I doubt a guy who threw for 11 TD's vs 13 INT's his senior year against crappy competition is going to be any better.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boyle has not had one year in his career where he's thrown more TD's than INT's.

Yes, he's "pro-style", yes, he's got a big arm, and yes, he sucks.

Anyways, Kizer has a rocket too, so if you're into QB's with big arms, you should like Kizer.
I am actually somewhat interested in Kizer... yes he sucked in Cleveland.... but he was thrown to wolves there. That being said... I hope I never have to see any of these guys in a regular season game unless the Pack is up and Rodgers is just too exhausted to continue after throwing for about 12 TDs and running for 6 more. :D

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley's problem wasn't arm strength, it was mental processing speed. Somehow I doubt a guy who threw for 11 TD's vs 13 INT's his senior year against crappy competition is going to be any better.

If that's the case I am wondering what the hell our scouting teams are doing with their QB evaluations.

H

HardRightEdge

Boyle is a camp arm. He won't even make it to the practice squad unless Hundley or Kizer is cut.

There was some enthusiam for Callahan in the last couple of years. He's been released.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
In 3 years when Baked Mayfield is officially considered a bust, Cleveland will regret passing up on DeShone Kizer. He is a talented kid that they expected far too much of, with absolutely no talent around him. Had they simplified the offense his rookie year, and given him some sort of athlete to work with, and maybe a coach that is not Hue Jackson he could have been on the same caliber as Dak Prescott. I think a few years behind Rodgers to study and practice will make this kid Rodgers successor, or, trade bait in the coming years. That is why the Packers took him. The Packers took Doyle for the practice squad, where he will hopefully live. If we see his name on the depth chart its only because Rodgers got hurt. Therefore, we do not want to see Doyle’s name on the depth chart - ever.

Last edited:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More likely he doesn't make it a few days past the rookie mini camp than make the team as Rodgers backup.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 3 years when Baked Mayfield is officially considered a bust, Cleveland will regret passing up on DeShone Kizer. He is a talented kid that they expected far too much of, with absolutely no talent around him. Had they simplified the offense his rookie year, and given him some sort of athlete to work with, and maybe a coach that is not Hue Jackson he could have been on the same caliber as Dak Prescott. I think a few years behind Rodgers to study and practice will make this kid Rodgers successor, or, trade bait in the coming years. That is why the Packers took him. The Packers took Doyle for the practice squad, where he will hopefully live. If we see his name on the depth chart its only because Rodgers got hurt.

I can agree with most of what you said except for the bolded part which is a huge reach in my opinion.

Certainly his playing for the NFL's worst team and having no veteran to learn from could have made him look worse than he is, but that doesn't mean bringing him behind Rodgers will automatically fix him either as Hundley has already proven. I just feel either MM or someone up in our front office is failing to do their job getting a McCarthy offense QB. Now if Deondre Francois or someone doesn't go too high next season, I'd roll the dice there.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I can agree with most of what you said except for the bolded part which is a huge reach in my opinion.

Certainly his playing for the NFL's worst team and having no veteran to learn from could have made him look worse than he is, but that doesn't mean bringing him behind Rodgers will automatically fix him either as Hundley has already proven. I just feel either MM or someone up in our front office is failing to do their job getting a McCarthy offense QB. Now if Deondre Francois or someone doesn't go too high next season, I'd roll the dice there.

I think we just have differing of opinions on DeShone Kizers ceiling. I think with the right development in Green Bay, he can be a serviceable starting QB in the NFL. I do not think that any QB that sits behind AR for a few years automatically become that. I think that DeShone Kizer is much better of a football player than Brett Hundley. I do not think that DeShone Kizer is going to be a “great” QB, as a said I believe he could be that of what Dak Prescott is currently. Had DeShone Kizer gone to a team like Dallas, he would have had similar production as Dak IMO. And there is absolutely no way we land another great QB after Rodgers reign is done. The odds just are not in our favor. It teams teams years to find “the guy” and we have just been lucky to have two back to back. Unless we become the luckiest franchise in football, we will most likely have to settle for a DeShone Kizer caliber QB to follow AR.

Titletown01

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Francois? Guy is average at best.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that's the case I am wondering what the hell our scouting teams are doing with their QB evaluations.

It's hard to tell until things go live.

All of this is an inexact science. That's why so many players fail.

Also have to factor in that teams/coaches have less time to be with the players. It's not beneficial towards developing.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Francois? Guy is average at best.

Let's keep in mind shall we that our goal as of right now is not to replace Rodgers or get the successor, at least not unless a premature retirement were to happen which .... I'll keep my fingers crossed but will say it will not happen. Now Rodgers may not play till he's Tom Brady's age, but I'll still guess that we don't fully start the succession plan till a few years from now.

If Francois is an average NFL QB, than that is miles ahead of what Hundley is and I will take it any day of the week. Like I keep on saying, we don't gotta get a Heisman candidate QB to backup Rodgers, just a Matt Flynn level guy, and Francois certainly does have that capability.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's keep in mind shall we that our goal as of right now is not to replace Rodgers or get the successor, at least not unless a premature retirement were to happen which .... I'll keep my fingers crossed but will say it will not happen. Now Rodgers may not play till he's Tom Brady's age, but I'll still guess that we don't fully start the succession plan till a few years from now.

If Francois is an average NFL QB, than that is miles ahead of what Hundley is and I will take it any day of the week. Like I keep on saying, we don't gotta get a Heisman candidate QB to backup Rodgers, just a Matt Flynn level guy, and Francois certainly does have that capability.

Yeah...I'm not so sure he does have that capability. Francois is pretty meh.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think we just have differing of opinions on DeShone Kizers ceiling. I think with the right development in Green Bay, he can be a serviceable starting QB in the NFL. I do not think that any QB that sits behind AR for a few years automatically become that. I think that DeShone Kizer is much better of a football player than Brett Hundley. I do not think that DeShone Kizer is going to be a “great” QB, as a said I believe he could be that of what Dak Prescott is currently. Had DeShone Kizer gone to a team like Dallas, he would have had similar production as Dak IMO. And there is absolutely no way we land another great QB after Rodgers reign is done. The odds just are not in our favor. It teams teams years to find “the guy” and we have just been lucky to have two back to back. Unless we become the luckiest franchise in football, we will most likely have to settle for a DeShone Kizer caliber QB to follow AR.
It wasn’t luck that Favre became Favre and Rodgers became Rodgers. That’s called scouting, acquiring and coaching.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn’t luck that Favre became Favre and Rodgers became Rodgers. That’s called scouting, acquiring and coaching.

Well, I'm not sure what Don Majkowski thinks of that, or that Favre couldn't say Lady Luck didn't smile a little his way on that fateful day that he got his shot to lead the Pack back against the Bengals. But I do agree that good coaches and GMs do know how to pick them ... Apart from ******** up on Hundley.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're probably onto something in terms of what type of QB would work in MM's offense. A guy like Francois is mobile enough to evade a good amount of pressure, and has experience running an offense that would be the closest thing you can get to "pro-style" nowadays in college (Jimbo Fisher's multi-formation scheme). He'd be a decent project if Kizer can be flipped earlier than expected. I'm guessing Hundley is released right before the season starts so maybe this Boyle kid can throw his way onto the practice squad if he has a Callahan-esque TC.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching Hundley last season, I am very hopeful that Kizer picks up the system and surpasses Hundley. There is a reason that Hundley was a 5th round pick and Kizer was a 2nd round.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts