At pick #30 corner a must!

Reaction score
With the NT position 'addressed' I wouldn't be surprised (or disappointed) to see TT trade back into round two and take two ILBs there. I think I've said on here before that I don't see any ILBs with definite first round grades but a bunch of good ones that'll go in round 2.

In my opinion, the only reason to take a corner in the first round is if you want a week 1 starter. I get the impression that we'll see Hayward and Shields as the week 1 starters so I think CB can wait til later in the draft.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it´s that easy to find a three down ILB then Thompson has done a terrible job of finding one.

I wouldn´t be completely surprised if Thompson spends his first two picks on Kendricks and Anthony. It would be shocking to me though if the Packers select two CBs as there´s hope the defense only needs a dime corner for this season.

Go through and look at the salaries that are paid to 3-4 ILBs. Unless they're REALLY good (as in, top-five LB good) teams don't pay them much. They don't get drafted very highly (unless they're projected to be REALLY good). There are no 3-4 ILBs that fit that mold in this class. People point to Kendricks as a likely pick but he's only mentioned because he's the best in a weak ILB class. PFF now charts every player in Division 1 (not for the public, only for NFL front offices) but yesterday one of the guys from PFF tweeted out that Kendricks ranked 19th among ILBs in this draft class in run stop percentage...that's not very good. Another PFF guy responded that Kendricks never really impressed him very much (and bear in mind, these guys have watched every single play from these players, not just a couple of games). They're not draft "experts" but you'd think that a first round linebacker would be one of the best in the nation, not "m'eh".

D

Deleted member 6794

Go through and look at the salaries that are paid to 3-4 ILBs. Unless they're REALLY good (as in, top-five LB good) teams don't pay them much. They don't get drafted very highly (unless they're projected to be REALLY good). There are no 3-4 ILBs that fit that mold in this class. People point to Kendricks as a likely pick but he's only mentioned because he's the best in a weak ILB class. PFF now charts every player in Division 1 (not for the public, only for NFL front offices) but yesterday one of the guys from PFF tweeted out that Kendricks ranked 19th among ILBs in this draft class in run stop percentage...that's not very good. Another PFF guy responded that Kendricks never really impressed him very much (and bear in mind, these guys have watched every single play from these players, not just a couple of games). They're not draft "experts" but you'd think that a first round linebacker would be one of the best in the nation, not "m'eh".

There are only two OLBs in Clay Matthews and Justin Houston making more money based on average salary per season than the top three ILBs in the league.

I´m well aware of the fact that Kendricks isn´t the best run stopping ILB in this year´s draft but he´s probably the only one capable of stepping in and playing all three downs. While he most likely won´t end up being one of the best players coming out of the 2015 draft he would be a much needed upgrade for the Packers defense.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i want a big intimidating ILB to put next to mathews. a brute. I want a guy who can stick Lynch at the line, and make him question ever doing it again.
Is that so much to ask?

D

Deleted member 6794

i want a big intimidating ILB to put next to mathews. a brute. I want a guy who can stick Lynch at the line, and make him question ever doing it again.
Is that so much to ask?

There´s some hope Barrington could be that guy. The Packers need an inside linebacker though capable of covering RBs and TEs in the base and dime defense.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are only two OLBs in Clay Matthews and Justin Houston making more money based on average salary per season than the top three ILBs in the league.

I´m well aware of the fact that Kendricks isn´t the best run stopping ILB in this year´s draft but he´s probably the only one capable of stepping in and playing all three downs. While he most likely won´t end up being one of the best players coming out of the 2015 draft he would be a much needed upgrade for the Packers defense.

If he's not a player worth a first round grade then he shouldn't be drafted in the first round. Need at ILB shouldn't override that. The team also needs corners, dlinemen and a tight end.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Exactly, Kendricks won't hold up against the run at the next level which I have pointed it out several times and gotten hammered for it. He is a "coverage linebacker."

I don't see any reason to spend a 1st round pick on a "coverage linebacker." Total reach.

H

HardRightEdge

Yes to Kendricks or Anthony.

I don't like McKinney much at ILB; he lacks fluidity, chops steps getting through or around traffic, has a tendency to play high. Perryman is a question mark in my mind and therefore a "pass" in the first round. He's a downhill attacking player, strong, not especially athletic. I question his coverage skills and adaptability to a more nuanced defense.

Dawson is what the measurables say he is. His out-of-shape indifference in preparing for the Combine should be concerning. His coverage skills are suspect. He'll be a good player for somebody that wants a guy who can work 10 yds. on either side of the line of scrimmage on instincts and puts in 60 minutes of work per week.

Yes to Goldman. He's a hard working player with sufficient athleticism.

I question Phillips' motor, but would defer to Montogomery's opinion, whatever that might be.

Yes to Harold.

This is a guy who has no business playing with his hand in the dirt, where Virginia used him at times. His stand-up edge rushing is pretty exciting to watch. His measurables are nearly indistinguishable from Matthews' Combine numbers. As a rookie, he'd be a nice complement in spot duty on passing downs when Matthews moves to the middle. Peppers, Perry and Neal are all on the bubble for 2016. I await the wailing and gnashing of teeth if the Packers go this route.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I should add that with Raji and Guion in the fold, I'd be quite surprised to see the Packers take a NT in the first round. There just isn't enough value in the players likely to be available at #30 to overwhelm the needs at ILB, OLB, CB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I should add that with Raji and Guion in the fold, I'd be quite surprised to see the Packers take a NT in the first round. There just isn't enough value in the players likely to be available at #30 to overwhelm the needs at ILB, OLB, CB.

I wouldn't be surprised by the Packers selecting a NT in the first round. The same argument for taking an OLB could be made for a nose tackle as both Raji and Guion will be free agents after next season again.

There's no doubt ILB is in most dire need of an upgrade though.

H

HardRightEdge

I wouldn't be surprised by the Packers selecting a NT in the first round. The same argument for taking an OLB could be made for a nose tackle as both Raji and Guion will be free agents after next season again.

There's no doubt ILB is in most dire need of an upgrade though.
The OLB has dimensions NT does not. Peppers is season-to-season and Matthews is expected to play off the edge with some regularity. They're the play makers. Raji/Guion are less difficult to replace on short notice; NTs don't require as much seasoning.

Without waiting around to determine availability of two bargain players as with this off season, there would be no need for Thompson to Rip Van Winkle his way through free agency. He did, after all, sign Guion last off season. 3-4 OLBs that can rush the passer don't show up in free agency very often, and when they do they pull down the big money. If you want an edge rusher, the best path is undeniably through the draft.

At CB, one strained hamstring puts Hyde or Goodson at cover corner. That would not be a good look. I can't even say that Hayward will get the job done.

ILB doesn't need any explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

The OLB has dimensions NT does not. Peppers is season-to-season and Matthews is expected to play off the edge with some regularity. They're the play makers. Raji/Guion are less difficult to replace on short notice; NTs don't require as much seasoning.

Without waiting around to determine availability of two bargain players as with this off season, there would be no need for Thompson to Rip Van Winkle his way through free agency. He did, after all, sign Guion last off season. 3-4 OLBs that can rush the passer don't show up in free agency very often, and when they do they pull down the big money. If you want an edge rusher, the best path is undeniably through the draft.

At CB, one strained hamstring puts Hyde or Goodson at cover corner. That would not be a good look. I can't even say that Hayward will get the job done.

ILB doesn't need any explanation.

While I agree that there haven´t been a lot of 3-4 OLB over the last few years that made an immediate impact during their rookie season (Aldon Smith, Clay Matthews and Koa Misi) there haven´t been any NTs in a 3-4 aside of Dan Williams having a great first season. In addition not a lot of good NTs make to free agency either.

I agree the Packers have to at least add some depth to cornerback as well.

H

HardRightEdge

While I agree that there haven´t been a lot of 3-4 OLB over the last few years that made an immediate impact during their rookie season (Aldon Smith, Clay Matthews and Koa Misi) there haven´t been any NTs in a 3-4 aside of Dan Williams having a great first season. In addition not a lot of good NTs make to free agency either.

I agree the Packers have to at least add some depth to cornerback as well.
My feeling is you can work with an adequate NT, a guy who will take 30-40% of the snaps. An edge rusher, relegated to nickel duty, is looking at potentially 60 - 70% of the snaps while being in a position to make impact plays.

Knighton: 1 year, $4.5 mil
Hughes: 5 years, $45 mil

Even Guion, who is not a prototypical 2-gap NT, and wasn't even expected to start at the position, was not high on the list of the 2014 defensive shortcomings.

As for seasoning issues, even Aldon Smith was relegated to passing downs starting out. And if Williams is among the few NTs who had great first seasons, how many had great second seasons? It strikes me that the best DT talent migrates to 4-3 where the guys will be 3-down players. 2 down players are inherently cheaper, especially the protypical 330 - 340 lb. 2-gap NTs who are typically conditioning risks.

D

Deleted member 6794

My feeling is you can work with an adequate NT, a guy who will take 30-40% of the snaps. An edge rusher, relegated to nickel duty, is looking at potentially 60 - 70% of the snaps while being in a position to make impact plays.

Knighton: 1 year, $4.5 mil
Hughes: 5 years, $45 mil

Even Guion, who is not a prototypical 2-gap NT, and wasn't even expected to start at the position, was not high on the list of the 2014 defensive shortcomings.

As for seasoning issues, even Aldon Smith was relegated to passing downs starting out. And if Williams is among the few NTs who had great first seasons, how many had great second seasons? It strikes me that the best DT talent migrates to 4-3 where the guys will be 3-down players. 2 down players are inherently cheaper, especially the protypical 330 - 340 lb. 2-gap NTs who are typically conditioning risks.

There's no denying that teams playing a 3-4 defense value edge rushers way more than nose tackles. Nevertheless the run defense is dependent on a NT capable of at least occupying offensive linemen.

There have been some pretty good second year NTs over the last two seasons in Damon Harrison, Brandon Williams (who didn't play a lot as rookies) and Dontari Poe (who was terrible in his first season).

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a few names being thrown about as possible picks for GB in rounds 1 or 2:

Marcus Peters had an impressive pro day and probably would have been a top-20 pick if he had kept his head straight in 2014. If he's there at 30 . . .

Eric Kendricks, Stephone Anthony, Shaq Thompson, Eli Harold all apparently possible choices.

I like Harold more than Thompson if we go with an OLB in the 1st round. Thompson is pretty small.

I'd be real happy to see the Packers pick Marcus Peters or Eli Harold in round 1, then get Stephone Anthony in round 2 (doubt Kendricks will be around later in round 2 unless we're willing to trade up a good 15 spots or so). Still not sold on Kendricks at #30.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PJ Williams DUI really screwed the CB market up. Now everyone else moves up a spot and he probably drops to 2nd round. I don't want anything to do with him as this is not his only off field issue. He was involved in that report about the tallahassee police letting FSU players run wild. I think it was another traffic issue.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
PJ Williams DUI really screwed the CB market up. Now everyone else moves up a spot and he probably drops to 2nd round. I don't want anything to do with him as this is not his only off field issue. He was involved in that report about the tallahassee police letting FSU players run wild. I think it was another traffic issue.

I agree. I think Kendricks is a total reach at 30.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Anthony at 30. If he's gone I like the idea of trading down and picking up Perryman in the second. Appears this draft is again very strong at the WR and OT positions. Problem with the top ILB prospects other than Anthony is that most of the guys don't look like 3 -downs players. Guys like Kendricks or McKinney Either lack fluidity in the passing game or are not good run stuffers. While top 3-4 D line players are very solid they are likely to be gone by 30

superquest

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the resigning of D lineman Raji/Guion no need to draft Goldman/Phillips with our 1st pick. Also from what I read/hear no ILB/MLB worthy at the #30 spot. With the loss of CB Williams/House and Hayward being a slot corner we need to draft Kevin Johnson from Wake Forest/Jalen Collins from LSU/Marcus Peters from Washington/Quinten Rollins from Miami, Oh/Ronald Darby, PJ Williams both from FSU. With our next 2 picks hoping for a MLB/ILB and then DL.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I like Anthony at 30. If he's gone I like the idea of trading down and picking up Perryman in the second. Appears this draft is again very strong at the WR and OT positions. Problem with the top ILB prospects other than Anthony is that most of the guys don't look like 3 -downs players. Guys like Kendricks or McKinney Either lack fluidity in the passing game or are not good run stuffers. While top 3-4 D line players are very solid they are likely to be gone by 30

Perryman doesn't fit the Packers needs as the defense needs someone to complement Barrington. Kendricks is the best three down ILB available.

D

Deleted member 6794

With the resigning of D lineman Raji/Guion no need to draft Goldman/Phillips with our 1st pick. Also from what I read/hear no ILB/MLB worthy at the #30 spot. With the loss of CB Williams/House and Hayward being a slot corner we need to draft Kevin Johnson from Wake Forest/Jalen Collins from LSU/Marcus Peters from Washington/Quinten Rollins from Miami, Oh/Ronald Darby, PJ Williams both from FSU. With our next 2 picks hoping for a MLB/ILB and then DL.

Kevin Johnson and Marcus Peters (although he has huge red flags regarding his character) are the only guys worth of a first round pick. The Packers count on Hayward being capable of turning into a decent outside cover corner, so CB might not be a top priority for Thompson in the draft.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quentin Rollins looks to be very good. Looks really aware when the ball is in the air. Doesn't get that lost look a lot of corners do when the ball is coming.

Reaction score
I'm with the Captain on this one; I think they're only looking for depth at corner. That said, I really like the look of Rollins. Not only does he have good ball skills, as thequick said, but he looks a natural tackler too, which I'm not convinced Tramon was. Decent wheels for a CB, too.

Latest posts