At pick #30 corner a must!

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with you. Problem is I don't see one ILB in this draft worthy of a first round pick. I'd take the best available CB, DT or RB. I don't see any TEs worthy in round 1 either.

I would be fine with the Packers either drafting a CB or NT in the first round but I really have a hard time understanding why some posters repeatedly bring up RB as a possibility.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with the Packers either drafting a CB or NT in the first round but I really have a hard time understanding why some posters repeatedly bring up RB as a possibility.

I think people are hoping Gurley falls to 30...which if he did you'd have to think the Packers would have NUMEROUS trade offers for their spot. Then the question would be to trade down or take one of the best RBs to come out of college in years. Either way, there's about a 0% chance that Gurley falls.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think people are hoping Gurley falls to 30...which if he did you'd have to think the Packers would have NUMEROUS trade offers for their spot. Then the question would be to trade down or take one of the best RBs to come out of college in years. Either way, there's about a 0% chance that Gurley falls.

Even if one of Gurley or Gordon falls to #30 I don´t have any interest in drafting one of them at that spot. Maybe some of you have forgot because we haven´t played a game for more than three months but I really like Lacy. I would be fine with Thompson trading out of the first round if another team offers a nice package of picks.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We're picking at #30, not at #15 or #17 where Shazier and Mosely were taken, respectively. While Shazier's rookie year was marred by injuries, I see him as a reach at that spot. In the long run, Kendricks looks like he'll be the more well rounded player.
I don't recall that people mentioned last year that Shazier was a reach at 15. Some people were talking about trading up for him. Retrospect is 20/20.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't recall that people mentioned last year that Shazier was a reach at 15. Some people were talking about trading up for him. Retrospect is 20/20.

I know that I´m wrong more often than I´m right, but here´s what I had to say about Mosley and Shazier before last year´s draft:

Actually there´s concern about every single prospect in the draft, but there´s absolutely no doubt in my mind that I´d rather have Mosley playing ILB than Shazier, especially as Shazier lacks one of the most talents I look for in a 3-4 ILB and I´m not sure he can learn to shed blocks at the NFL level as he´s not possessing the ideal body type for doing it.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/ryan-shazier.51148/page-2#post-551172

Once again, IMO Kendricks is an ideal fit for the Packers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if one of Gurley or Gordon falls to #30 I don´t have any interest in drafting one of them at that spot. Maybe some of you have forgot because we haven´t played a game for more than three months but I really like Lacy. I would be fine with Thompson trading out of the first round if another team offers a nice package of picks.

As I said, you'd probably trade down. But to look at the other side; Lacy is really good but his asthma does limit his play. There have been a number of times when McCarthy has cited keeping Lacy fresh as reasons he didn't run Lacy more often. Lacy is also the style of runner that probably won't age well; I'm not sure many are going to be super confident of giving Lacy a high value contract in two years. Gurley would get a year to heal in Green Bay and then you could probably trade Lacy for a second or third rounder and most likely have a better RB overall, plus a RB with a style that will age better and might be worthy of a second contract. Again, just an option but it does exist.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, given the number of mock drafts putting him in the bottom 1/3 of the first round, with several ******* him as a Packer pick, I would surmise those analysts might agree he was a reach. I certainly didn't like him at #21.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said, you'd probably trade down. But to look at the other side; Lacy is really good but his asthma does limit his play. There have been a number of times when McCarthy has cited keeping Lacy fresh as reasons he didn't run Lacy more often. Lacy is also the style of runner that probably won't age well; I'm not sure many are going to be super confident of giving Lacy a high value contract in two years. Gurley would get a year to heal in Green Bay and then you could probably trade Lacy for a second or third rounder and most likely have a better RB overall, plus a RB with a style that will age better and might be worthy of a second contract. Again, just an option but it does exist.

Witch! Witch!

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What odds does everyone give that we pick at #30 at all? Trend says trade down is coming, but Ted being Ted (read: none of us perimeter guys can scratch a sniff of what he's thinking) I'm getting a surprise 'up trade' vibe beginning to hum.

30% we stay pat, 60% we trade down, 10% Ted goes Clay Matthews.

H

HardRightEdge

What odds does everyone give that we pick at #30 at all? Trend says trade down is coming, but Ted being Ted (read: none of us perimeter guys can scratch a sniff of what he's thinking) I'm getting a surprise 'up trade' vibe beginning to hum.

30% we stay pat, 60% we trade down, 10% Ted goes Clay Matthews.
Well, he did bring in Randy Gregory for a chat, no doubt in order to explore Mr. Gregory's current smoking habits.

You never know.

I don't see Ted trying to trade up 10 slots; that would cost something in the vicinity of 2 third round picks. 5 slots? Perhaps. That's about 1 third rounder. Even then he has to find a trading partner among a few teams in a tight time frame. Wanting and doing are different things.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, he did bring in Randy Gregory for a chat, no doubt in order to explore Mr. Gregory's current smoking habits.

You never know.

I don't see Ted trying to trade up 10 slots; that would cost something in the vicinity of 2 third round picks. 5 slots? Perhaps. That's about 1 third rounder. Even then he has to find a trading partner among a few teams in a tight time frame. Wanting and doing are different things.
If we do move up, it won't be for ILB, CB or TE unless T. Wayne's drops hard for some odd reason. Most likely a D-Line stud who goes into a free fall, but Ted will really have to love the guy. We're proably the last ones to know who that might be.

I wonder if there is a time limit for not releasing 'classified' big boards to the public...say 10 or 15 years after a draft?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just because Anderson had more sacks than Williams doesn´t mean has a better pass rusher. The Packers ask their defensive ends to mostly play the run in the base defense, which Anderson isn´t good at. He´s not strong enough to play inside in sub packages, so I really have no idea why he would be a good fit for the Packers 3-4 defense.

Would just like to point out that after a prodigious sample size of two games, Anderson has played better against the run AND the pass than the much more hyped Williams...

D

Deleted member 6794

Would just like to point out that after a prodigious sample size of two games, Anderson has played better against the run AND the pass than the much more hyped Williams...

Wow, great job patting yourself on the back.

Williams is part of a dominant Jets defense that has played phenomenal over the first two weeks while Anderson's preseason Super Bowl squad has lost both games. It's wonderful that you feel a lot smarter right now because Anderson has had a sack already but I couldn't care less about comparing rookies after a total of two games.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, great job patting yourself on the back.

Williams is part of a dominant Jets defense that has played phenomenal over the first two weeks while Anderson's preseason Super Bowl squad has lost both games. It's wonderful that you feel a lot smarter right now because Anderson has had a sack already but I couldn't care less about comparing rookies after a total of two games.

I thought the comment was overtly silly since I mentioned the enormous sample size of two games...just thought it would be interesting and humorous. Didn't mean to offend.

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought the comment was overtly silly since I mentioned the enormous sample size of two games...just thought it would be interesting and humorous. Didn't mean to offend.

Sorry, seems like I didn't get what you were trying to say. It should be interesting to compare the performance by Anderson and Williams at the end of their rookie season. I'm sure one of us will brag about being right at that point. ;)

Latest posts