At pick #30 corner a must!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cornerbacks
Marcus peters
Ronald Darby
Kevin Johnson
All look real good. All likely gone before our 2nd round pick. All could be gone before our pick at #30 Getting 2 of those 3 would shore up the cornerback position for years.

ILB
Eric kendricks
Stephone Anthony
Would love to see TT get both of them as a starters they would work well together. Otherwise I like Anthony and Kwon Alexander later on in the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

Cornerbacks
Marcus peters
Ronald Darby
Kevin Johnson
All look real good. All likely gone before our 2nd round pick. All could be gone before our pick at #30 Getting 2 of those 3 would shore up the cornerback position for years.

ILB
Eric kendricks
Stephone Anthony
Would love to see TT get both of them as a starters they would work well together. Otherwise I like Anthony and Kwon Alexander later on in the draft.

Darby could be there for our second round pick. The needs at ILB and NT make it highly unlikely the Packers will spend two early picks on a CB.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt they take a nose high unless Shelton falls somehow. Raji and Guion will be back. Maybe jordan Phillips I guess because of coach but idk he seems like a Justin Harrell.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you define "BPA" as best player available regardless of position IMO this is demonstrably false.
Demonstrably? Unless you have TT's draft board, I'm not sure how you can say that.

I know you have pointed out comments regarding Raji vrs Crabtree, but my take is that there was a pretty even split in the draft room of scouts/coaches debating which one to take.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Demonstrably? Unless you have TT's draft board, I'm not sure how you can say that. I know you have pointed out comments regarding Raji vrs Crabtree, but my take is that there was a pretty even split in the draft room of scouts/coaches debating which one to take.
Again if you define BPA best player available regardless of position there's a lot more evidence than Raji/Crabtree. If any GM was strictly a BPA drafter, you'd see multiple picks at the same position even though that position was a strength of the team. Assume a team had a need for an ILB, for example. Yet at almost every pick, the ILB available was the second or third BPA. (Even within talent tiers there are gradations of talent.) That draft would have ignored the teams greatest need. Or assume the teams first pick was a WR, but the next two BPAs were also WRs. IOW, if any GM picked regardless of position we would see some very odd drafts with regard to positions drafted.

I think it's clear Thompson factors team needs into draft evaluations (which violates BPA before the draft), and goes beyond that to some degree during the draft. IMO Thompson adheres to BPA more than almost any other GM, but his MO can best be described as best value available, which incorporates position as well as scheme which BPA doesn't do as defined above.

D

Deleted member 6794

Doubt they take a nose high unless Shelton falls somehow. Raji and Guion will be back. Maybe jordan Phillips I guess because of coach but idk he seems like a Justin Harrell.

Shelton won't drop to the Packers first round pick. If the team decides to go in a different direction with the 30th selection there won't be any impact NTs available later in the draft, meaning it would be imperative to bring back Raji and/or Guion.

Canadian Packer Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I ask the guys who did their homework this year. Who would YOU like to see at #30?[/QUOTE]

I say you don't complicate things and just take the "best player available" at either 1) Cornerback, or 2) Inside Linebacker.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Corner or NT. ILB isn't a "premium" position in the NFL and the guys at 3-4 ILB that are taken in the first round are generally ELITE college talents, and even then they tend to fall to later in the round. There aren't any truly special ILBs in this draft (like CJ Mosley last year) and the really good dlinemen tend to go really fast in the draft. I would probably prefer dline because the roster only has one special player on the dline (maybe Jones can make it two) and the dline is the most important defensive group on the field.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shelton won't drop to the Packers first round pick. If the team decides to go in a different direction with the 30th selection there won't be any impact NTs available later in the draft, meaning it would be imperative to bring back Raji and/or Guion.

Agreed but even with Guion back and Raji looking like he's coming back, that's only one year. If you're looking to the future, the Packers still need nose tackles and if a guy like Goldman, Brown, Armstead or Phillips falls then the Packers should draft him. Generally speaking, the drop-off in potential is, outside of QB, larger at dline between first and second round than any other position group I can think of; i.e., there are corners that will be taken in the second round that profile to be almost as good as the first round corners while the big guys on the dline taken in the second round will be a tier below those taken in the first.

I also wouldn't be averse to the Packers taking an OLB if one of the better ones falls. Right now the Packers are ok but you're relying on an aging Peppers and inconsistent (to be generous) Perry as the OLBs opposite Matthews and there's nobody on the team to develop for 2016 and on.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed but even with Guion back and Raji looking like he's coming back, that's only one year. If you're looking to the future, the Packers still need nose tackles and if a guy like Goldman, Brown, Armstead or Phillips falls then the Packers should draft him. Generally speaking, the drop-off in potential is, outside of QB, larger at dline between first and second round than any other position group I can think of; i.e., there are corners that will be taken in the second round that profile to be almost as good as the first round corners while the big guys on the dline taken in the second round will be a tier below those taken in the first.

I also wouldn't be averse to the Packers taking an OLB if one of the better ones falls. Right now the Packers are ok but you're relying on an aging Peppers and inconsistent (to be generous) Perry as the OLBs opposite Matthews and there's nobody on the team to develop for 2016 and on.

While I agree that NT and OLB could become a position of need in 2016 the team is in dire need of an upgrade at ILB now.

BTW Armstead can't play NT in a 3-4.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree that NT and OLB could become a position of need in 2016 the team is in dire need of an upgrade at ILB now.

BTW Armstead can't play NT in a 3-4.

Yes, I know Armstead can't play NT, should have been more specific on that, I just think he looks like he'll be a good DE and he can DT in passing downs. ILB needs an upgrade but ILBs are much easier to find than a really good dlineman or OLB.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the 2nd coming of Nitschke, Lewis, or Butkus isn't there at 30, and if we can't improve at CB, I'd like to see Ted pick up Sammie Coates out of Auburn. Jordy's size, but he looks bigger, led the nation in YPC in '13 as a Junior. Between a nagging knee injury, which I heard happened during workouts, and crappy QB play his senior year wasn't as good. He's a down the field guy. Imagine having 2 down the field WRs, and one of them for less than 2 million dollars per on a rookie contract? I'm drooling already.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marcus Peters
Kevin Johnson
Jalen Collins
Eddie Goldman
Jordan Phillips
Eric Kendricks
Denzel Perryman
Paul Dawson (He improved on his numbers at his pro day some, 4.7 40 instead of that god awful 4.9 he did at the combine)

And it seems like Randy Gregory maybe sliding due to his failed drug test. He'd be really enticing if hes sitting there at #30. It would be a chance to take a top 10 draft pick worthy pass rusher. Gregory would epitomize "BPA"

Either way, I suspect we'll take one of the above players that I just mentioned.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marcus Peters
Kevin Johnson
Jalen Collins
Eddie Goldman
Jordan Phillips
Eric Kendricks
Denzel Perryman
Paul Dawson (He improved on his numbers at his pro day some, 4.7 40 instead of that god awful 4.9 he did at the combine)

And it seems like Randy Gregory maybe sliding due to his failed drug test. He'd be really enticing if hes sitting there at #30. It would be a chance to take a top 10 draft pick worthy pass rusher. Gregory would epitomize "BPA"

Either way, I suspect we'll take one of the above players that I just mentioned.

I agree with most of these except Dawson and Phillips, plus I think you should add Anthony. I don't think Dawson gets taken in the first. Since we signed Raji and Guion, I don't think we have an immediate need at NT. The only exception to that for me is taking Goldman. I think he could be an absolute monster at NT.

I'd be willing to add PJ Williams and Marcus Peters to the discussion at #30. There's so many character questions with these top CBs that I can't be opposed to any of them. This does seem like a very good draft to trade back though.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of people are secretly saying that Kevin Johnson may end up being the best CB that comes out of this whole draft.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of people are secretly saying that Kevin Johnson may end up being the best CB that comes out of this whole draft.

I don't disagree. I think there's a ton of talent at that position this year though. I pretty sure that's why we were ok letting go of House and Williams. TT knew there was talent to be had.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm personally high on Senquez Golson from Ole Miss. Extremely scrappy and productive CB.

D

Deleted member 6794

ILB needs an upgrade but ILBs are much easier to find than a really good dlineman or OLB.

If it´s that easy to find a three down ILB then Thompson has done a terrible job of finding one.

If the 2nd coming of Nitschke, Lewis, or Butkus isn't there at 30, and if we can't improve at CB, I'd like to see Ted pick up Sammie Coates out of Auburn. Jordy's size, but he looks bigger, led the nation in YPC in '13 as a Junior. Between a nagging knee injury, which I heard happened during workouts, and crappy QB play his senior year wasn't as good. He's a down the field guy. Imagine having 2 down the field WRs, and one of them for less than 2 million dollars per on a rookie contract? I'm drooling already.

I´m really surprised a lot of posters coming up with different ideas to select offensive players at #30. There´s no reason for the Packers to spend their first round pick on a WR most likely being a second round talent.

Marcus Peters
Kevin Johnson
Jalen Collins
Eddie Goldman
Jordan Phillips
Eric Kendricks
Denzel Perryman

Dawson ran a 4.78 and a 4.82 40 at his pro day, so he´s still way slower than the ILBs I want the Packers to draft. In addition he doesn´t fit the team´s need at the position as well as Perryman. Gregory would be an intriguing prospect if Thompson is convinced he won´t get into further troubles.

I don't disagree. I think there's a ton of talent at that position this year though. I pretty sure that's why we were ok letting go of House and Williams. TT knew there was talent to be had.

I think the primary reason Thompson let House and Williams leave in free agency is that the team is convinced Hayward can play on the outside.

I don't know why some people have us taking a TE. We need CB's

ILB is the position in most dire need of an upgrade.

I'm personally high on Senquez Golson from Ole Miss. Extremely scrappy and productive CB.

I like Golson as well, he will have to add some weight though to make it in the NFL.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
meh, Dawsons' tape says otherwise. He was an extremely productive LB in College. The guy just made plays. He was a play maker. He was a tackling machine and was a lot better in coverage than his 40 time says.

Some players just have that "Football Speed" and Dawson is one of those players. Meaning he looks and plays a lot faster than what his 40 time shows. The tape doesn't lie. I've seen Dawson make game saving INT's on a few occasions. He did it to Texas, OU and WVU. He had 24 tackles in a single game against Baylor. He was extremely productive. He put up better stats than any LB in this draft and he did it in a pass happy conference that isn't exactly known for running the ball.

I just feel like some folks are selling him short based around a 40 time. We all know that the 40 time doesn't make or break a player and *some* players *do* play a lot faster than their 40 time.

Hell, look at Jameis Winston and his 4.9 40. I watched him out run that OK State defense for a 30 or so yard TD in the season opener.

Some players just have a different gear when its show time.

Dawson's biggest problem is that he played for TCU and the Frogs don't exactly get a lot of publicity, even when they are winning. TCU is a tiny private christian school.

Now, I'm not saying we should draft Dawson at #30, but if we did, we'd be getting a damn fine Football player and I'd personally be happy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

meh, Dawsons' tape says otherwise. He was an extremely productive LB in College. The guy just made plays. He was a play maker. He was a tackling machine and was a lot better in coverage than his 40 time says.

Some players just have that "Football Speed" and Dawson is one of those players. Meaning he looks and plays a lot faster than what his 40 time shows. The tape doesn't lie. I've seen Dawson make game saving INT's on a few occasions. He did it to Texas, OU and WVU. He had 24 tackles in a single game against Baylor. He was extremely productive. He put up better stats than any LB in this draft and he did it in a pass happy conference that isn't exactly known for running the ball.

I just feel like some folks are selling him short based around a 40 time. We all know that the 40 time doesn't make or break a player and *some* players *do* play a lot faster than their 40 time.

Hell, look at Jameis Winston and his 4.9 40. I watched him out run that OK State defense for a 30 or so yard TD in the season opener.

Some players just have a different gear when its show time.

Dawson's biggest problem is that he played for TCU and the Frogs don't exactly get a lot of publicity, even when they are winning. TCU is a tiny private christian school.

Now, I'm not saying we should draft Dawson at #30, but if we did, we'd be getting a damn fine Football player and I'd personally be happy.

I know that you´ve been advocating for Dawson for quite some time. I´ve been saying that he doesn´t fit a 3-4 defense long before he had a terrible 40 yards time at the combine. In addition it seems like he doesn´t fit the Packers need of a three down ILB being capable of covering RBs and TEs.

Don´t get me wrong, he´s capable of being a productive player in the NFL but most likely as a 4-3 WLB.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Dawson will be there when we pick in round 2?

Anyway, I kind of hope we go either ILB or CB in round 1. DT would be nice too, but only if Goldman is there. I wouldn't draft Philips because he seems to have that boom or bust tag tied to him. Goldman looks like a true 3-4 NT to me.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way, I am getting a feeling that TT may double dip with our first two picks. Meaning drafting two ILB's...or two CB's....or something like that. It sounds dumb, but we REALLY need to hit on one of these positions in the first two rounds.

Would it bother anyone if we drafted Eric Kendricks in round 1 and then turned around and drafted Stephone Anthony in round 2?

Or drafted Marcus Peters in round 1 and then drafted Ronald Darby in round 2?

I've seen teams do this in the past. Its not exactly unprecedented.

D

Deleted member 6794

By the way, I am getting a feeling that TT may double dip with our first two picks. Meaning drafting two ILB's...or two CB's....or something like that. It sounds dumb, but we REALLY need to hit on one of these positions in the first two rounds.

Would it bother anyone if we drafted Eric Kendricks in round 1 and then turned around and drafted Stephone Anthony in round 2?

Or drafted Marcus Peters in round 1 and then drafted Ronald Darby in round 2?

I've seen teams do this in the past. Its not exactly unprecedented.

I wouldn´t be completely surprised if Thompson spends his first two picks on Kendricks and Anthony. It would be shocking to me though if the Packers select two CBs as there´s hope the defense only needs a dime corner for this season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts