At #13 Your List...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I was all on board with JVN, but just confused with his bench press. That was very weak and not sure what to make of it and it's impact. Bottom 6%. Ordinarily it's not very important, but for such an amazing athlete you'd expect above average.

There are women stronger than that!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Edit:
Dang still tough to post pictures here

I can help you with discerning its impact: it's zero, because bench press numbers are irrelevant. :)

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I would argue that Harrison and Bergeron could go round 1 and will probably be gone by #42 for sure. Mauch and Steen will move inside in the NFL. And Duncan is a big project.

I would pick Freeland before Duncan and I truly believe Blake Freeland is every bit of a second round prospect...but expect him to be there in third.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Putting him on his back is the best result. Takes a player out of the play for a second or two. But I wasn't talking about that. I mean he locks into the player and they come to a standstill. Which is a win for the OT.

What is better than a standstill is moving the guy a few yards away. A bigger pocket is better than a smaller one. Gives Love more opportunities to move in the pocket, reduces batting passes down, passing lanes etc. But it also speaks to run blocking as well. A bigger whole and less chance for player to trackdown the ball after breaking contact.

I'm not saying he's garbage. I just like the other 3 better. And I like other players at other positions better for 13. But if we trade back to later in the first he would be a target. I think he will be very good.

I'm having a hard time connecting what you're describing to how pass protection actually works in the NFL.

The difference between a big pocket and a small pocket in the NFL is about the ability of the offensive lineman to anchor against power. And Wright has a significantly better anchor than any other tackle prospect in the top 50.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would pick Freeland before Duncan and I truly believe Blake Freeland is every bit of a second round prospect...but expect him to be there in third.

Brandon Thorn said that Freeland is a total mess and gave him a 6th round grade.

Reaction score
Personally I would rather they trade every last pick of ours this year and next to draft someone then end up with Skoronski...I don't draft guards that early and definitely not a tackle with sub CB length arms.

Okay that's a bit obnoxious but I am very much against Skoronski unless it is a trade back where we get him falling to it and we got another pick picked up.
Pretty Funny.
That reminded me of something.
As unrealistic as Mocks can be (especially trades) as with anything they are more reliable towards the top. Each draft is unique to its circumstances, meaning teams fluctuate, teams trade around last second, teams start without selections in various rounds and draft position/player clumps vary from one to the next.

This all said. I’ve found it very difficult to stay still. Very. However my most successful drafts across 100’s are when I stand still and let the player come to me. When I get caught (especially in Day1) moving back outside of 20 overall? I get the train rolling down the wrong tracks. I can’t tell you how many times I got back to the mid-late 20’s to get additional capital and ended up with 2 TE’s to start. That’s just almost stupid but they were the best athletes there imo.

Conclusion.

1. We should stay put and let others gyrate around in panic mode. If they want to severely overpay us? Make a move.

2. We should only move very slightly. Such as to #17 in Day1. Maybe 5-10 spots in Day 2, but not much more.

Most drafts in the past where we moved around we’ve not done well in general (except J’aire but that was a massive multi year trade) Spriggs, King, Biegel, Burks, etc. Not to mention that quite often in my failed attempts moves up the board? that player ended up falling into my lap. I’ve found I was outsmarting myself instead of letting the draft nature run it’s course.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can help you with discerning its impact: it's zero, because bench press numbers are irrelevant. :)
For a pass rusher? Surely it would be of some benefit to be able to push a blocker away to free yourself to make a tackle. I mean, i could bench more in college at 165 lbs.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For a pass rusher? Surely it would be of some benefit to be able to push a blocker away to free yourself to make a tackle. I mean, i could bench more in college at 165 lbs.

Of course. It's of huge benefit. But the bench press exercise doesn't correlate to that ability. I mean, just factually, historically, you can't find a correlation. And that makes sense-- repping 225 over and over again does not measure the explosive force that these guys use on an individual play. It's an endurance exercise.

LVN has tons of power through his hands. He has reps putting Skoronski flat on his back and walking Paris Johnson Jr. back into the QB's lap. Who cares about the bench?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brandon Thorn said that Freeland is a total mess and gave him a 6th round grade.

I did not see that, I respect the crap out of Thorn - but I'll have to chalk this disagreement up as a rare one with him. I strongly believe in Blake.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys I think and/or hope will be off the board:

1. B. Young, QB, UA
2. W. Levis, QB, UK
3. A. Richardson, QB, FLA
4. C. Stroud, QB, OSU
5. B. Robinson, RB, UT
6. P. Johnson, OT, OSU
7. W. Anderson, ED, UA
8. T. Wilson, ED, TTU
9. J. Carter, iDL, UGA
10. C. Gonzalez, CB, OR

If that's correct, here are the next 10 players on the consensus draft board:

1. D. Witherspoon, CB, ILL
2. J. Smith-Njigba, WR, OSU
3. P. Skoronski, OL, NW
4. J. Porter Jr, CB, PSU
5. L. Van Ness, ED, IA
6. N. Smith, ED, UGA
7. M. Murphy, ED, CLEM
8. B. Jones, OL, UGA
9. D. Wright, OL, TENN
10. D. Banks, CB, MAR

I would not want Witherspoon, Skoronski, or Porter Jr.

Which means my cluster would be, in order of preference:

1. D. Wright, OL, TENN
2. B. Jones, OL, UGA
3. J. Smith-Njigba, WR, OSU
4. L. Van Ness, ED, IA
5. M. Murphy, ED, CLEM
6. N. Smith, ED, UGA
7. D. Banks, CB, MAR

I wouldn't mind a trade down at all.
The 3 I don't want are Porter, Witherspoon & Banks. Therefore I would not trade down past 17 unless of course 1 or more of those 3 were already picked. If all 4 of those QBs weren't gone I don't drop past 16 although that could open up PBs scenario of someone wanting that last QB and offering a nice package. Currently 16,17,19 & 20 would be possibilities but I would be nervous going past 17 unless.....(see above)

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed.

Good day 2 picks: Harrison, Mauch, Bergeron, Duncan, and Steen. If we go to another position at 13, I would target one of these on day 2. After that there is a dropoff.

My 7th round stab is Jake Witt.
Are you assuming these guys go later day 1 or before #42 or you don't like them?
Torrence, D.Jones, & Avila. Also, I do not have Steen on my list. A little help please.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The 3 I don't want are Porter, Witherspoon & Banks. Therefore I would not trade down past 17 unless of course 1 or more of those 3 were already picked. If all 4 of those QBs weren't gone I don't drop past 16 although that could open up PBs scenario of someone wanting that last QB and offering a nice package. Currently 16,17,19 & 20 would be possibilities but I would be nervous going past 17 unless.....(see above)

I could see them trading down and taking a tight end, DL, edge, or OL from a different tier.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you assuming these guys go later day 1 or before #42 or you don't like them?
Torrence, D.Jones, & Avila. Also, I do not have Steen on my list. A little help please.
D Jones is too tall at 6'8". I don't know of any at that height that had long term success. He's 375 lbs and that is a lot of stress on those knees. The other 2 are just OG or C types. I would go after the Minny C if I thought we needed one. I think we need a tackle.

I like Steen. He was a transfer from Vanderbilt and only played 1 year at Alabama. He progressed quickly and has even better football ahead of him. He should be a very guard right away and a good OT down the road.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
D Jones is too tall at 6'8". I don't know of any at that height that had long term success. He's 375 lbs and that is a lot of stress on those knees. The other 2 are just OG or C types. I would go after the Minny C if I thought we needed one. I think we need a tackle.

I like Steen. He was a transfer from Vanderbilt and only played 1 year at Alabama. He progressed quickly and has even better football ahead of him. He should be a very guard right away and a good OT down the road.

I can think of several 6’8” tackles with sustained success.

Jonathan Ogden
Orlando Brown
Trent Brown
Kolton Miller
Jared Veldheer
Jon Runyan Sr
Sebastian Vollmer
Marcus McNeill
Zach Strief
Phil Loadholt
Mike McGlinchey
Nate Solder

Given that the pool of 6’8” is tackles is small, successful ones are not uncommon.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jonathan Ogden
Orlando Brown
Trent Brown
Kolton Miller
Jared Veldheer
Jon Runyan Sr
Sebastian Vollmer
Marcus McNeill
Zach Strief
Phil Loadholt
Mike McGlinchey
Nate Solder

Given that the pool of 6’8” is tackles is small, successful ones are not uncommon.
Jon Ogden was a stud. Kolton Miller is looking good. Few others were good, I dont recognize some names.

Jones is heavier than loadholt, Ogden, and Miller by 30-40 lbs. Only ones I checked. Will it matter? To some degree, yes.

Reaction score
Personally, I am really hoping for a stud left tackle (Paris Johnson, Broderick Jones, or Darnell Wright), or Jaxon Smith Njigba. If I can't get one of these, then best pass rusher available.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jon Ogden was a stud. Kolton Miller is looking good. Few others were good, I dont recognize some names.

Jones is heavier than loadholt, Ogden, and Miller by 30-40 lbs. Only ones I checked. Will it matter? To some degree, yes.

If Jones can’t keep his weight under control, he will bust. But that’s not necessarily because he’s tall.

To be clear, I had the same gut reaction as you— 6’8” is too tall. But after I looked into it, I was surprised by how many successful guys there have been.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jonathan Ogden
Orlando Brown
Trent Brown
Kolton Miller
Jared Veldheer
Jon Runyan Sr
Sebastian Vollmer
Marcus McNeill
Zach Strief
Phil Loadholt
Mike McGlinchey
Nate Solder

Thank you. I quite like Dawand's tape. He has his limitations, but I'll be damned if that wingspan doesn't make up for some of them.

Edit: Also interesting how many of those tackles were New England patriots.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would take Anthony Richardson or Hendon H00ker. Nothing lights a fire under a QB's a** more than taking another QB in the 1st round. And if Love doesn't pan out you already have plan B on the roster.

The Packers did almost that in 2008 before they really knew what they had with Rodgers. They took Brian Brohm in the 2nd.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would take Anthony Richardson or Hendon H00ker. Nothing lights a fire under a QB's a** more than taking another QB in the 1st round. And if Love doesn't pan out you already have plan B on the roster.

The Packers did almost that in 2008 before they really knew what they had with Rodgers. They took Brian Brohm in the 2nd.
"The best way to handle a QB controversy is to not have one." - some NFL coach.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woke up this morning thinking OLB. After all, we drafted Gary before we needed him. We had the Smith brothers and I was happy going forward with them. Maybe Gary was the last highly graded player and BPA forced their hand.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It won't surprise me if Edge is the 1st pick for GB tonight. the only ones that would are RB, QB or ILB. IMO the rest are all possibilities tonight with OL and OLB likely being the 2 highest premium and likely picks, though if theres a chance to get a TE that they think can do at least 40-50 catches this season and a handful of TD's with adequate inline blocking. I guess if none of those are available, I can see WR, but if any of that other stuff is available I'd rather pass on WR and take that.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
If we get Jake Witt, we've got a Yooper on the squad.
It doesn't get much better than that
Being a yooper myself, along with being an NMU grad... that would be fantastic. I believe the last "Yooper" to play in the NFL was Chuck Klingbeil (Houghton, Dolphins) who also graduated from NMU. That late 80's NMU football team had 4 guys make the NFL. ( DT Klingbeil, CB Jerry Woods, Lions and Packers; LB Mark Maddox, Bills; and RB Steve Avery, Steelers, and 1 year with Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

As I have mentioned before there's absolutely no way the Packers should select a quarterback in the first round.

I'm fine with them adding a backup at some point in the draft though.

Members online

Latest posts