Assessing the Roster

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  1. Secondary receiving option: either WR or TE (this needs to be a vet though team should consider drafting a player with major upside)
  2. Dline (only good dlineman on the team is Clark)
  3. CB - Alexander was very good though not as good as some hoped, King is too hit or miss, and Williams is just getting too old to rely on for an entire season
  4. ILB - If the team isn't going to get better dlinemen then they MUST get some better ILBs that can deal with not being free all the time
  5. Young WR with elite potential (i.e., first/second round draft pick)

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Michelle Pfiffer in the cat woman suit
2. Mila Kunis in the cat woman suit
3. Jennifer Aniston in the cat woman suit
4. A big lottery win
5. A friend who has a massive lottery win

Just sayin

Besides Mila would this fall under 'mature' fetish?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. A real defense
2. A real defense
3. Better WR’s
4. A real defense
5. A real defense

our defense has, does and continues to suck

More context to Aaron Rodgers and what his defenses have done (or not done) in his 18 playoff starts: Rodgers and Dan Marino are the only starting QBs in the Super Bowl era whose teams allowed 35-plus in a playoff game 5 times. There are 32 starting QBs with at least 5 playoff losses in the Super Bowl era. Of those, Rodgers' defenses allowed the most points per game in the losses. There are 32 QBs with at least 10 playoff starts and Rodgers' defenses allowed the most points per game, 26.8.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
1. Cut or let Jimmy Graham retire
2. Sign Jordan Phillips
3. Draft a WR (Justin Jefferson, Laviska Shenault or Brandon Auyik preferably)
4. Sign an ILB like Corey Littleton or be aggressive and get Queen or Murray (I do like Quarterman later on but he’s not enough for an immediate upgrade)
5. MVS, Shepard, Lazard, Tonyan and Sternberger really work at their craft to improve next season and at least one becomes a legitimate weapon for Rodgers.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw a 2020 mock draft prediction from some dude on Yardbarker. He has the Packers taking Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame with the 30th pick.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. WR - Need a solid player in the Draft who demands as much attention as Adams. #3-#5 WRs will feast as well.
2. DE - Need a LDE that can give Clark and Lowry some immediate help. Lowry remains a starter until 2021.
3. ILB - Blake can stay as the No.2 we get a ILB to replace him as the No. 1.
4. RG - I'm not 100% sold on Billy Turner, let's challenge him.
5. TE - Gotta spend in FA to get one most likely.

RepStar15

Reaction score
Just saw a 2020 mock draft prediction from some dude on Yardbarker. He has the Packers taking Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame with the 30th pick.
I would hate that pick. Hunter Bryant in the second or third round would be the only early TE pick I could justify and that would only be justified if they got a DT and ILB in FA and a WR in the first or second.

RepStar15

Reaction score
1. WR - Need a solid player in the Draft who demands as much attention as Adams. #3-#5 WRs will feast as well.
2. DE - Need a LDE that can give Clark and Lowry some immediate help. Lowry remains a starter until 2021.
3. ILB - Blake can stay as the No.2 we get a ILB to replace him as the No. 1.
4. RG - I'm not 100% sold on Billy Turner, let's challenge him.
5. TE - Gotta spend in FA to get one most likely.
I think Blake will be offered a multiple year contract elsewhere. Maybe not though.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to find fault with your analysis. I would add only a few comments:

QB: I have my doubts about AR playing out the rest of his contract. I don't think GB has to start looking for Rodgers' replacement next year, but by the 2021 NFL draft it might be time.

TE: There are a couple of decent FAs in Austin Hopper and Hunter Henry who could be worth signing. Eric Ebron had one great year in 2018 and not much else.

LB: Cory Littleton won't come cheap, but would it be worth going after him to the tune of somewhere around 4 years $54 mill? (That's what Shaq Thompson got)

WR: Draft over a FA. If the Packers want flat-out speed, Henry Ruggs or Jalen Reagor at the end of the 1st round. Justin Jefferson as a possible round 2 pick intrigues me a lot.

D

Deleted member 6794

QB: I have my doubts about AR playing out the rest of his contract. I don't think GB has to start looking for Rodgers' replacement next year, but by the 2021 NFL draft it might be time.

The Packers will definitely hold on to Rodgers for at least another two seasons because of the structure of his contract. The rest will be decided by his performance over that period.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dantés, awesome analysis! I thank you.

I would move the right side of the Offensive Line up the need list a bit.
1) Bulaga's great but he's had a ton of injuries. I would pay but, not overpay to keep him.
2) It's a fairly deep area in the draft.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My ideal off-season. We need to revamp the middle of our defense. Our OLB, and DB are solid. On offense we need more pass catchers. On the online we need to keep RT solid and we will need depth especially if we let Linsley go as some have speculated.

Let go Taylor and Graham. These seem like no brainers. Linsley is an interesting thought. Could save a bunch more

Extend Clark.

Resign Bulaga.
In Free Agency sign Hooper or Henry if they get there (sounds more and more like Hooper will). I like Henry more because he creates more mismatches.
In Free Agency sign at DT to replace Lancaster. DTs like TE take at least a year to make an impact most of the time so getting someone here would be great. As we saw on Sunday we need a DT who can not get blown off the ball
In Free Agency sign one ILB.

In the Draft
In the first two rounds draft a WR and an ILB.
In the next few rounds draft a rt to replace bulaga and an interior olineman for depth.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have many problem areas that they need to address. This is not a team that goes out and gets top notch free agents nor is it a place where free agents want to come and play. I don't know all the reasons but Green Bay just isn't at the top of the list for players that are looking for fame and fortune. Their loss and unfortunately ours as well. The Packers are at a big disadvantage when it comes to that part of the business. It makes ALL their draft picks doubly important and when they have poor drafts, it is more than noticeable. I don't know how they resign Martinez. Great stats. Good guy. Good teammate. 3-4 linebacker? Noticeably bad. IMO, borderline useless. Since I was a little kid, the definition of a linebacker was relentless, all over the field, foaming at the mouth, kick your butt bad ***. He is none of that. He just isn't. The middle linebacker was the glue of every defense I ever saw back then and still is today. Why then would they resign him?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have many problem areas that they need to address. This is not a team that goes out and gets top notch free agents nor is it a place where free agents want to come and play. I don't know all the reasons but Green Bay just isn't at the top of the list for players that are looking for fame and fortune. Their loss and unfortunately ours as well. The Packers are at a big disadvantage when it comes to that part of the business. It makes ALL their draft picks doubly important and when they have poor drafts, it is more than noticeable. I don't know how they resign Martinez. Great stats. Good guy. Good teammate. 3-4 linebacker? Noticeably bad. IMO, borderline useless. Since I was a little kid, the definition of a linebacker was relentless, all over the field, foaming at the mouth, kick your butt bad ***. He is none of that. He just isn't. The middle linebacker was the glue of every defense I ever saw back then and still is today. Why then would they resign him?

This is an odd comment after the Packers landed one of the best FA safeties last year and to of the best upcoming OLBs last year. Even before that Jimmy Graham was one of the more sought after Free Agents

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen it happen for 50 years. That's all I'm saying. Never been a free agent haven for the majority of the time.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Similar to what others have said.

1. WR - What happened to G-Mo? He had such reliable hands his rookie year, we know he wasn't the fastest but at least he could catch early in this career. No clue why MLF kept doing jet sweep with him.. lol. G-Mo is definitely gone. MVS disappeared into the season. EQ will be back but not so sure he will be the same. I like the development of Lazard but only time will tell if he's #2. We need to address this in the draft that's deep in WR.

2. DE/NT - Missing that Gilbert Brown/Ryan Pickett gap eater. Danny Shelton is set to be a free agent in 2020. Would be a cheap option. Played well for NE.

3. ILB - I don't think we can afford a FA ILB. Littleton will command $$ we cant afford. We need to draft a plug and play ILB. Sadly, I don't think Burks is the answer. There are ILB options this year in the draft (see our draft prospects thread).

4. OL - I think Billy Turner played well and he's under contract. Hope he improves but also would like to see someone push him/depth. Bulaga is only 30 but I keep thinking the dude is 36 lol. We have to look for our next RT and even center.

5. Playmakers on offense - RB, FB, TE and WR. Just get a playmaker. MVS was supposed to be that threat but.... lol

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner was ok, but man, when teams wanted to blitz, that's where they came

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson has stated that at the time of his contract that he did not want to come to Green Bay due to the perception that the city is less than cosmopolitan, but was forced to do so because the Packers were the only team to offer him a contract. Just 1 example and obviously it worked out in the end.