Assessing the Final 53(ish) Roster

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So the Browns just cut Calvin Pryor. Would it be worth cutting someone to fit him in? I feel like this team could use all the d back help they can get after how atrocious they were last year.

I will take a pass on Pryor. We are good at S.

This was FUNNY!! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

SportsCenter‏ @NOTSportsCenter
After the Browns released Calvin Pryor for fighting a teammate, the entire Browns roster now plans to fight each other to try to get cut too

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
They're strong and deep at safety, and Pryor isn't every good.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King is not going to disappoint! There is a lot of talent in the guy. He just has to get over the jitters and once he settles down and knows how to read his opponents he will be one of the greatest CBs in the history of football
King can't even crack the starting lineup on a lousy secondary. He looked lost in coverage during the pre-season.

King may turn out to be good, but not this year.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Over the last 5 years, with a fairly normal amount of injuries, the Packers offense has finished 4th, 15th, 1st, 8th, and 5th in points. Why in the world would we assume that the offense is going to be derailed? That seems like pessimism that defies reason.
If you told Packers fans at the beginning of 2015 that Rodgers would suddenly slip into a funk that lasted over double digit games, they would have told you that was pessimism that defied reason. That's the thing about trends - they are only marginally predictive, and always fail at self predicting their ends. I think that the second most important part of an offense is the line, and given that I foresee either or both of Spriggs and Murphy starting at some point for a few games each minimum due to injuries to starters, I see our offense being highly fragile. Our running backs might be able to overcome, but at this stage we have no proof that any single one of them will be a starter even next year - Monty included, and I LOVE Monty. Our receiving corps looks deep, but Cobb has seemed to be hurt as often as healthy the last few years and his production has plummeted. I love Nelson and think he is pro-bowl bound, but he IS getting old and his body may not be as well suited to play with the injury he suffered. I know, usually the second year after a total loss injury is the strongest for a player, but that is usually said of guys in their 20s. Jordy could have peaked last year and could decline this year. That's speculation, and I don't think it will be the case, but it is still a very real possibility. We have the best TE we have had since Finley, but Bennett is also old and this team has never been TE-centric. At best he will be a force multiplier, but more likely he will have visible splash plays in half a dozen games, solid games in another 3, and totally disappear in the rest. So may fans seem to want to ignore the reality that our offense is a palace of cards this year. That palace may stand up and look amazing all year, but it is more likely to fall. At the same time, nobody is operating under the delusion that our defense will be winning us any games, so unless our offense stays perfect all year, this will not be a fun season.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If you told Packers fans at the beginning of 2015 that Rodgers would suddenly slip into a funk that lasted over double digit games, they would have told you that was pessimism that defied reason. That's the thing about trends - they are only marginally predictive, and always fail at self predicting their ends. I think that the second most important part of an offense is the line, and given that I foresee either or both of Spriggs and Murphy starting at some point for a few games each minimum due to injuries to starters, I see our offense being highly fragile. Our running backs might be able to overcome, but at this stage we have no proof that any single one of them will be a starter even next year - Monty included, and I LOVE Monty. Our receiving corps looks deep, but Cobb has seemed to be hurt as often as healthy the last few years and his production has plummeted. I love Nelson and think he is pro-bowl bound, but he IS getting old and his body may not be as well suited to play with the injury he suffered. I know, usually the second year after a total loss injury is the strongest for a player, but that is usually said of guys in their 20s. Jordy could have peaked last year and could decline this year. That's speculation, and I don't think it will be the case, but it is still a very real possibility. We have the best TE we have had since Finley, but Bennett is also old and this team has never been TE-centric. At best he will be a force multiplier, but more likely he will have visible splash plays in half a dozen games, solid games in another 3, and totally disappear in the rest. So may fans seem to want to ignore the reality that our offense is a palace of cards this year. That palace may stand up and look amazing all year, but it is more likely to fall. At the same time, nobody is operating under the delusion that our defense will be winning us any games, so unless our offense stays perfect all year, this will not be a fun season.

They've been outside of the top 10 in scoring offense once since 2007, when Rodgers took over. If using the trends of the last decade (which, by the way, include continuity at QB, HC, and GM) isn't very predictive in your opinion, then what does that say about using the single aberration in that stretch as evidence for your guess that the offense is going off the rails? Their offensive prowess every year outside of 2015 does not guarantee offensive success, but it's a much stronger indicator of what is likely to happen in 2017 than the outlier.

What you're describing as a "reality" is your opinion of the roster and what may happen. What has already happened (e.g. past offensive performance)... those are realities.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King can't even crack the starting lineup on a lousy secondary. He looked lost in coverage during the pre-season.

King may turn out to be good, but not this year.

You mother feather! You just jinxed this guy's career. Now my hopes of this guy being the greatest ever will not come true! See u next year! :cry:

*turns on ballet channel*

Cheese Head

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great analysis. As for the RB's I think Montgomery will give the Packers a multi option guy out of the backfield that can do a lot of things and make a lot of things happen. I look for him to be a top 10 RB this season between what he rushes and receives.

Reaction score
I meant no.1 and no.2 draft picks. They were evaluated as top talent.

A lot has been invested in this secondary.
We certainly have not been shy about going after Defensive players towards the top of recent drafts. 2017-CB, 2016-NT, 2015-S, 2014-S, 2013-DE, 2012-DE

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Pryor was to become a packer, I'd think they'd want to try him at linebacker and not safety.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With Allison coming back from suspension, who gets IR'd or cut?

I wouldn't be too excited to be answering my phone today if I am Lenzy Pipkins. Guessing even if they do release him, he should land safely on the PS.....so that group of 10 has to be equally nervous.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wouldn't be too excited to be answering my phone today if I am Lenzy Pipkins. Guessing even if they do release him, he should land safely on the PS.....so that group of 10 has to be equally nervous.
they better not do it by phone to whoever it is. better to do it face to face.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I am probably in the minority but I am not crazy about Davis. So he had one great return in preseason for a TD. I think he may have had another good one in another game. But on Sunday his being back there hurt us and I would not cry if he was cut.

I would like to see someone else taking the PR's.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Honestly, I am probably in the minority but I am not crazy about Davis. So he had one great return in preseason for a TD. I think he may have had another good one in another game. But on Sunday his being back there hurt us and I would not cry if he was cut.

I would like to see someone else taking the PR's.
Davis has talent, and blazing speed, but I question his football IQ at times. There's no doubt that he was close to a liability returning punts for us in the Seattle game. Fair catching when he should have let it go, letting it go when he should have fair caught/ran with it, etc. Just never looked comfortable.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

You would think Pipkins is the most logical choice. He was inactive on Sunday. I wouldn't think that they'd risk losing Jones even though he was a healthy scratch. Mays was active on Sunday which suggests an important special teams role. I don't think they can afford to give up any depth on the lines. So I'd conclude that Pipkins would move down. It's possible that they kept him in hopes that after a week, teams would solidify their 53 and be less likely to claim a guy like him?

Members online

Latest posts