As bad as the defense was tonight...

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
There have been many (including myself) that have said either in the shout box or in the studs and duds thread that there are no studs or standout players on defense tonight. And on the surface, I tend to agree. Especially given the opponent.

But, after thinking about it, and rewatching late 4th quarter, this defense did something tonight that MANY times in the past, it hasn’t done...

Give Rodgers a chance to win it.

With 3:44 left to go on 3rd down, Clay gets a big sack that forces a punt. Admittedly, he was underwhelming all game, and he might have walked backwards into it, but by gosh, he made the play. Sack. Results in Rodgers getting the ball at our own 42. Rodgers does Rodgers things. Makes a terrific throw to Davante to tie it.

So same old Packers, right? Won’t get a stop. Blows an opportunity for a win.

Not.

Even after the Tony Brown blunder that gifted the 49ers 15 yards resulting in a drive starting at the 47 yard line, the Packers defense gets it to 3rd and 3 (after Perry’s 3rd bat down of the game at the line) and Pettine dials up the pressure, gets to the QB, and he heaved it down the middle of the field where normally a play wouldn’t be made. But this time, a play was made. By Kevin King. Interception.

Results in Packers ball at the 10. 1:07 to go. Yes, the Packers were playing for OT. But Monty hits the long run and gets out of bounds. That gives Rodgers the field position to get aggressive and make something happen.

And he did.

Situational football has killed this team. A lack of allowing Rodgers a chance to win the game has killed this team. Hopefully, this team might be just a little bit different.

The bye is coming up. Let’s get Jaire back. Let’s get Aaron as close to 100% as possible. Let’s take on the Rams, the Patriots. Who the hell ever shows up on the schedule. I’m starting to feel pretty damn confident with this cast of characters.

In a game that didn’t feature an elite defense, the last few minutes could have fooled you. Let’s hope, at the very least, this type of situational football can continue.

G. P. G.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There have been many (including myself) that have said either in the shout box or in the studs and duds thread that there are no studs or standout players on defense tonight. And on the surface, I tend to agree. Especially given the opponent.

But, after thinking about it, and rewatching late 4th quarter, this defense did something tonight that MANY times in the past, it hasn’t done...

With 3:44 left to go on 3rd down, Clay gets a big sack that forces a punt. Admittedly, he was underwhelming all game, and he might have walked backwards into it, but by gosh, he made the play. Sack. Results in Rodgers getting the ball at our own 42. Rodgers does Rodgers things. Makes a terrific throw to Davante to tie it.

Not.

Even after the Tony Brown blunder that gifted the 49ers 15 yards resulting in a drive starting at the 47 yard line, the Packers defense gets it to 3rd and 3 (after Perry’s 3rd bat down of the game at the line) and Pettine dials up the pressure, gets to the QB, and he heaved it down the middle of the field where normally a play wouldn’t be made. But this time, a play was made. By Kevin King. Interception.

Results in Packers ball at the 10. 1:07 to go. Yes, the Packers were playing for OT. But Monty hits the long run and gets out of bounds. That gives Rodgers the field position to get aggressive and make something happen.

And he did.

Situational football has killed this team. A lack of allowing Rodgers a chance to win the game has killed this team. Hopefully, this team might be just a little bit different.

The bye is coming up. Let’s get Jaire back. Let’s get Aaron as close to 100% as possible. Let’s take on the Rams, the Patriots. Who the hell ever shows up on the schedule. I’m starting to feel pretty damn confident with this cast of characters.

In a game that didn’t feature an elite defense, the last few minutes could have fooled you. Let’s hope, at the very least, this type of situational football can continue.

G. P. G.

I believe getting Alexander back will allow them to be more flexible on the back end which will allow them to bring more pressure but the run defense has got to get better fast.

The Patriots as we saw last night ran the ball right down the Chiefs throat and of course the Rams can bring it with Gurley. If we can't stop the niners Mickey Mouse run attack then won't have a chance against the big boys. Losing Wilkerson was a tough break but there gonna need to solidify that front against the run somehow. It has me a bit nervous to be honest.

Reaction score
I haven't figured out yet if the 49er's as a team were that good or the Packers defense were that bad though most of the game.
These late game come-backs are ******* us fans.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What people fail to realize is that any time you are implementing a new defensive scheme, there is an adjustment period. It takes a few games before guys stop thinking about what they need to do and when it becomes automatic. It's just the way it is. When that happens, the defense gets faster. Be patient.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sold sorry. You can’t be giving up opening drive touchdowns, and allowing a team using basic formations to gash you. The Niners has the most simple offensive sets I’ve seen in football in a long time and yet they ran the ball down our throat! Over 5 yds per carry!!! They either went deep or completed a slant....nothing exotic but defense was on their heels until the 4th quarter against a team with really no stars on offense.

It amazes how overrated Mike Daniels is...guy hasn’t made a game changing play all year and got owned all last night except in one play. Gives us nothing as a pass rusher and all of a sudden can’t get off blocks and at least disrupt the other teams run game which is what he got that contract for. Overrated

Clay Matthews? He had an effort sack..but my Goodness!! I’m noticing Fakrell replacing him on running downs.

Kentrell Brice, Tramon Williams, And Dean lowry wouldn’t start anywhere else. Brice is the biggest liability On defense. Teams are going to test him over the top without any fear smh. I’m NOT as optimistic about the defense as you guys are I’m sorry but not sorry. I believe what my eyes show me....my eyes show me that if I wasn’t a Packers fan? I’d think Dom Capers was still fun in that side of the ball.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I think if Alexander had played tonight there would have been a different narrative. He is the only guy on the defense that could possibly keep up with Marquis Goodwin.
Kevin King: 4.43
Tramon Williams: 4.57 in 2006
Josh Jackson: 4.56
Jaime Alexander: 4.38
Marquise Goodwin: 4.27

D

Deleted member 6794

Not.

And he did.

G. P. G.

I agree the defense played phenomenal over the past two drives by the Niners. You have to wonder why they weren't able to contain their offense earlier though.

If we can't stop the niners Mickey Mouse run attack then won't have a chance against the big boys.

The Niners rank third in the league in yards per rushing attempt.

D

Deleted member 6794

I’m NOT as optimistic about the defense as you guys are I’m sorry but not sorry.

That's truly shocking ;)

I think if Alexander had played tonight there would have been a different narrative. He is the only guy on the defense that could possibly keep up with Marquis Goodwin.
Kevin King: 4.43
Tramon Williams: 4.57 in 2006
Josh Jackson: 4.56
Jaime Alexander: 4.38
Marquise Goodwin: 4.27

The Packers should have definitely used a safety over the top to help cornerbacks cover Goodwin on deep balls.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense is a lot like the offense, except for me it's more expected from them. They show some good stuff and some bad stuff. They have a lot of work to do to put it together, but they have guys that can play. New defense, new coordinator, new guys, all of that is going to equal more mistakes and big plays than a defense filled with 3-7 year players from the same system and playing together. They've put together good stretches and some real stinkers so far. We know that we have some weak spots that need help or covering up in safety and OLB. Not having a guy like Alexander on the field causes a chain reaction. Yeah, I know every team deals with it. Some better than others. We aren't in a position to deal with it well yet. Maybe in 2 years.

I wasn't paying that much attention until later who exactly was on the field at certain times, so in my limited sample size of paying attention, it seems that as poor as people think Perry and Matthews are, it seems the 2 guys behind them were huge liabilities in the run game. Maybe it was just the downs they were in on , but i swear I saw Fackrell get sucked in or blocked out and give up big gashers every time they ran at him. But maybe it just happened to be the plays I was really watching or maybe it was a trend.

Reaction score
At first I was upset because this was such a close game against a "bad" team. However this morning I woke up and thought, our offense was able to put up 33 points (even if it was against the 49ers). I also thought/believe 100% that GB plays to its competition. This is good and bad. The team that will show up against LA and NE would have dominated the 49ers last night. When the teams we play are better, we play better. Both LA and NE games WILL be very close.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not giving them a pat on the butt for finally being able to stop a C.J. Beathard led 49er team.

Reaction score
However this morning I woke up and thought, our offense was able to put up 33 points (even if it was against the 49ers)

Might be surprised to know, San Francisco had the #12 ranked Defense going into this game. Kudos to Aaron Rodgers n Co for stepping up when our run D was getting thrashed on nearly every play.

Now, I’ll admit, I haven’t watched a full 49rs game this year until last night. But in doing a little research, I was surprised to see that the 49rs put themselves in position to win every game this year. Turnovers have killed them and last night was no exception.
The 49rs turned the ball over 3 times to our zero and if not for that? they would have beat us handily IMO.

Reaction score
Might be surprised to know, San Francisco had the #12 ranked Defense going into this game. Kudos to Aaron Rodgers n Co for stepping up when our run D was getting thrashed on nearly every play.

Now, I’ll admit, I haven’t watched a full 49rs game this year until last night. But in doing a little research, I was surprised to see that the 49rs put themselves in position to win every game this year. Turnovers have killed them and last night was no exception.
The 49rs turned the ball over 3 times to our zero and if not for that? they would have beat us handily IMO.

I did not know that actually! That makes sense cause they certainly seemed better as a whole than I expected. But your last statement makes me uneasy as a Packers fan haha

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looked like a lot of stuff we saw a lot last year and the year before and the year before. They were giving up big plays this year, but for the most part guys were in position at least. Last night there were far too many plays where nobody was around. Didn't like that. Too many big runs that were just straight up, run at the tackles for big yards.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers should have definitely used a safety over the top to help cornerbacks cover Goodwin on deep balls.
On the first Goodwin TD, it was a double corner blitz with King and Williams on a 6-man rush off the snap with two-high safety zone. Lancaster then dropped into the short middle after his initial rush move, Mathews lined up off the line jumping to the short flat on Goodwin's side, Martizez dropped into the intermediate middle, Brice was deep on Goodwin's side. It was a zone blitz out of the Capers playbook. :confused: The concept is to blitz guys from unexpected angles, force the hot read, and drop unexpected guys into short passing lanes where a cheap pick is possible. It's the kind of thing you might try against an inexperience QB.

The thing is SF was never going to the hot read no matter what. It was max protection; they were going deep all the way. They had 8 guys in blocking, only the two wideouts in routes both going deep, with the TE on a late release into the opposite flat, wide open by the way.

Pettine was right in guessing pass even though it was 1st. and 10 and SF in a 2-back, 6 in-line run set. But it was the wrong call for what SF was going to do. That said, Brice should not have let Goodwin get behind him.

On the second Goodwin TD, it was another run set with 7 in-line, single back, Goodwin wide left, Garcon slot left, with only those 2 guys in routes, max protection, into man coverage with C-D in single-high safety. Garcon came off the line toward the post with two steps of separation against King. He was wide open at 10-15 yards as soon as he cleared Morrison in the short middle. Given that separation and Garcon coming right at him, C-D made the right move in going with him. Funny thing though---Garcon was not even looking for the ball. With max protection and Garcon's evident job to draw the safety, all indications are this play was designed to go to Goodwin on a drawn-up double move route. Williams got turned around and beat.

On these two plays, SF won the chess game. I will say this much. There were other plays where Garcon appeared to be getting extra attention. I do think in the game planning there was an emphasis on Garcon though I can't see why. He still has the quicks in posession receiver mode, but he looks like he's lost a step in long speed. Maybe that has to do with Goodwin not being the slickest route runner in the world. This second TD may be the best route he's run in his life.

The good news, if we want to call it that, is Goodwin didn't do a whole lot other than the 2 TDs.

The more important story is how the front 7 played in those first 3 quarters---gashed on the run and couldn't bring pressure on the blitz. And SF won the line of scrimmage in their pass rush as well.

For the C-D haters, This coming from one who is not exactly being a C-D lover except in the "who else ya got?" equation, I would note that made key tackles as the last line of defense on a couple of Mostert runs that could have gone for a lot more. He's not the guy getting beat over the top. He's the only guy on this roster you could call at least decent on high safety pass defense.

It's a darn good thing SF made two key mistakes down the stretch: Beathard overthrowing a wide open TE in the flat for what would have been a drive-extending first down (nerves?) and the Sherman hold.

This D took a step backward. It's going to have to get a lot better than this after the bye.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much like the past two years under Capers, the primary issue with the defense is the lack of playmakers. Gute did a good job getting some corners to help with that but the Packers have lacked playmakers on defense for the past 3-4 seasons and it's REAL hard to play solid D when you have a poor pass rush (or have to rely on blitzing a ton) and the secondary is lackluster.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New coordinator, more high draft picks, same crappy defense.

Outside of the Buffalo game, we're allowing 29-30 PPG.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the defense's bad first half and good second half habit is sooooo frustrating. the deferring automatically putting us down by 7 before the o steps on the field just compounds it. playing from behind ruins whatever plan they had to run the ball. they have to get smarter and figure this out.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry sir, I just can’t see it without having the Packer colored shades some of you wear.
I think it is more about the fact that in the 5 years I have been on this forum, I don’t think you have ever said anything positive about the team. Ergo, no one is surprised when you are negative

Members online

Latest posts