Article on the new free agent contracts

H

HardRightEdge

Or, as Brian Gutekunst said, "This is Green Bay, Wisconsin; it's always win now." The contracts structures reflect that.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It was obviously reckless but that doesn't mean it wont work.

Vegas liked the signings as we leap frogged the Bears as favs to win the Super Bowl trailing only the Rams and Saints.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was obviously reckless but that doesn't mean it wont work.

Vegas liked the signings as we leap frogged the Bears as favs to win the Super Bowl trailing only the Rams and Saints.
This has Chicago fans outraged that we're ahead of them. It's cute honestly how much they think they're head and shoulders better than us. They beat us once, and now they think they're better.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cap hits in future years is huge. The only way these contracts work is if the Smiths play at an elite level. While they are good players they will really need to make a big jump to earn their salary. If they don't work out cutting them will mean big dead cap money. Gute really gambled with the team's future.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing has changed, I mean talent wise it has, but in the end it's still about the same things. If things work, it's great, if they don't, it will be "bad". Considering everything, timing with our QB, where the roster was/is, players coming and going, offensive and defensive philosophy, etc I think these moves were pretty well thought out. While some might think the money is too high for a couple, it's not insanely high and it's not all guaranteed to some aging vet.

They're young, ascending players they have liked for a while. It is a lot of money, but it's not crippling money. We'll definitely feel it if they don't work out, but that's kind of the nature of the beast. It would be no different if we didn't get them, had to draft for the positions and the drafts didn't work out. We'd have more cap space for other stuff sure, but in the end we'd still be losing. Or if you draft someone, develop them, invest in them and then watch the sit on the sidelines injured for seasons or have a career ender.

Anyway, these all seem like good young players and the type you should invest in. There aren't injury histories to hedge bets against. They aren't headcases, you're not hoping they don't get hit with a 12 game suspension out of the gate. They don't seem to be take the money and run type guys. The caveat is, they need to continue the growth they've shown consistently in their young careers.

It's always a gamble. Gamble on draft picks, gamble on health, gamble on FA money. you use the knowledge you have and try and make the best choices you can. There isn't an Albert Haynsworth type investment here. They didn't take on AB or Bennett again. I think they made sound investments that have a good probability to pay off and even if they aren't "great" I think at the very least they'll be good enough to elevate this team. And that will be ok as we develop another draft class. They gave management options in the draft to do things and try and get the best players they could without feeling pressured to go a certain way. These FA pickups have a lot to like about them in every way from what the future looks to hold, their attitudes, personality, and what they bring to the team.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am fine with a gamble at this point in Rodgers' career. Already figured we'd be in rebuild in 4 or 5 years, so this doesn't bother me.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to me he is advocating we should have put more money against this years cap if I read it right. It could have been done but that would limit any further moves we could make this year. I'm not a fan of the back loaded deals but I fully expect at least 2 of these 4 signings to make the full 4 years and another 1 to make 3 so the dead money won't really come into play as much as if we cut them all after 1 or 2 years which seems to be what he is worried about the most.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like some said. These guys are reliable against injuries. Not diva types who will get paid and semi-retire the next day... Ascending. Entering prime age. Fills specific holes in a porous defense. And there's 4 of them. Coming up on 20% of the teams starters on offense and defense....

I think next years free agents are going to mass exodus again. Clark is the only must keep imo. Martinez bulaga Daniels all will hurt badly. But that cap is going to dictate......

Their replacements need to be a priority in this draft....imo

D

Deleted member 6794

I think next years free agents are going to mass exodus again. Clark is the only must keep imo. Martinez bulaga Daniels all will hurt badly. But that cap is going to dictate......

I agree that Clark is the only player the Packers must re-sign out of next year's free agent class. I don't believe losing either of the others you mentioned will hurt badly though.

Members online

Latest posts