Are left tackles overrated?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also here are some offensive line rankings. Now you can actually determine if the O Line is sub par or not instead of making up your own rankings to support your claim. Fun Fact Giants are number 14 which is above the upper midway point. Also Packers have the Number 1 offensive line which is nice because the O Line helped Rodgers have a nice clean pocket and helped him have one of the best QB performances in recent years. http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/40484/179/2012-offensive-line-rankings

Who said I was making anything up? All you had to do was ask where my rankings came from.

Again if you look at the title it refers to the left tackle position... and what do we have here? http://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...f-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-tackles/

Oh thats the giants tackle being rated as the worst.

awaiting an apology for false accusations...

Reaction score
They're sort of like Corners/Safeties/HBs/Kickers imo, you don't need to overpay for the most "elite" players there if you've got a great QB/Pass Rush, ...really only need a sort of above average Offensiveline and a Great QB imo.

All I know is ... Allen Barber sucked and that first half of 2009 sucked, so idk... a crap tackle can cost you games.

Reaction score
Who said I was making anything up? All you had to do was ask where my rankings came from.

Again if you look at the title it refers to the left tackle position... and what do we have here? http://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...f-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-tackles/

Oh thats the giants tackle being rated as the worst.

awaiting an apology for false accusations...
I do owe you somewhat of an apology. It does say in there that he has played guard, so LT is technically not his position.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I figure that it's obvious with the premium that teams put on drafting for pass rushers that protectors have at least as much importance. The reason I think you see more rushers is that it's harder to predict which ones will be special. On the other hand, often tackles are pushed inside if they are not capable for the outside position ala TJ Lang. Good tackles are really special football players.... hard to find and that's why teams draft them so often.
It may not show up in wins the next season but it's a monster comfort for a GM to know you have the next Chad Clifton - very important position taken care of - so you can concentrate on other areas of the team in the next few drafts. If you've got an Aaron Rodgers you sure as heck want to protect the guy. They are the rarest of gems in the NFL.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Left tackles are extremely important to inexperienced and/or mediocre quarterbacks. Great quarterbacks like your Brady's, Mannings, Rodgers, and Brees can compensate. They get the ball out quicker because the recognize defenses better and make faster reads to avoid the exposure of not having a stud LT.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the best part of the article was this quote from Chan Gailey "We [all the teams in the NFL] throw about 62 percent of the time right now. It's not just the left tackle you have to worry about now. You have good pass rushers everywhere and the defense isn't just going to leave those guys over on the left side. They're going to put them wherever they think they can get to you fastest. So you better get rid of it fast."

Not many teams have one dominant pass rusher that takes over the game on the outside anymore, and when going up against the elite QB's its often (like the author said) the pressure up the middle that effects him the most.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
And overpaid, all you really need is someone just good enough. That is not to say that they are unimportant or that teams don't want an elite one. Poor play from any lineman can result in a sack; however, any boxer worth his salt will tell you that the punch that knocks you out is usually the one you don't see. That's the main concern, if the left guard fails the qb still has peripheral awareness that a threat is coming, the left tackle gives little in the way of such. The risk of injury is much greater if the qb doesn't see the hit coming.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts