1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Are left tackles overrated?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Jul 24, 2012.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,044
    Who said I was making anything up? All you had to do was ask where my rankings came from.

Again if you look at the title it refers to the left tackle position... and what do we have here? http://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...f-pass-blocking-efficiency-offensive-tackles/

Oh thats the giants tackle being rated as the worst.

awaiting an apology for false accusations...

2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,044
    wait... I thought you dont go by stats?

3. GeeDogWarrior

GeeDogWarrior 0 - 0

Ratings:
    +139
    They're sort of like Corners/Safeties/HBs/Kickers imo, you don't need to overpay for the most "elite" players there if you've got a great QB/Pass Rush, ...really only need a sort of above average Offensiveline and a Great QB imo.

All I know is ... Allen Barber sucked and that first half of 2009 sucked, so idk... a crap tackle can cost you games.

4. Aaron rodgers is god

Aaron rodgers is god Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +154
    I just thought you would like a stat. :)

5. Aaron rodgers is god

Aaron rodgers is god Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +154
    I do owe you somewhat of an apology. It does say in there that he has played guard, so LT is technically not his position.

6. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    I figure that it's obvious with the premium that teams put on drafting for pass rushers that protectors have at least as much importance. The reason I think you see more rushers is that it's harder to predict which ones will be special. On the other hand, often tackles are pushed inside if they are not capable for the outside position ala TJ Lang. Good tackles are really special football players.... hard to find and that's why teams draft them so often.
    It may not show up in wins the next season but it's a monster comfort for a GM to know you have the next Chad Clifton - very important position taken care of - so you can concentrate on other areas of the team in the next few drafts. If you've got an Aaron Rodgers you sure as heck want to protect the guy. They are the rarest of gems in the NFL.

7. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,439
    Left tackles are extremely important to inexperienced and/or mediocre quarterbacks. Great quarterbacks like your Brady's, Mannings, Rodgers, and Brees can compensate. They get the ball out quicker because the recognize defenses better and make faster reads to avoid the exposure of not having a stud LT.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,044
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    Eye opening article Ivo. On the upswing it makes you feel good since we have two potential pro bowl guards. It also explains the 2.5 second clock in practice. It's not a 3 second game anymore.
    It would be nice to have a Joe Thomas or Jonathan Ogden but you sure don't need one.

10. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    I think the best part of the article was this quote from Chan Gailey "We [all the teams in the NFL] throw about 62 percent of the time right now. It's not just the left tackle you have to worry about now. You have good pass rushers everywhere and the defense isn't just going to leave those guys over on the left side. They're going to put them wherever they think they can get to you fastest. So you better get rid of it fast."

Not many teams have one dominant pass rusher that takes over the game on the outside anymore, and when going up against the elite QB's its often (like the author said) the pressure up the middle that effects him the most.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    And overpaid, all you really need is someone just good enough. That is not to say that they are unimportant or that teams don't want an elite one. Poor play from any lineman can result in a sack; however, any boxer worth his salt will tell you that the punch that knocks you out is usually the one you don't see. That's the main concern, if the left guard fails the qb still has peripheral awareness that a threat is coming, the left tackle gives little in the way of such. The risk of injury is much greater if the qb doesn't see the hit coming.