Apparently Hunt's got a beef

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACKERS: Hunt upset with team
00:00 am 6/07/05
Jason Wilde Wisconsin State Journal

GREEN BAY - Cletidus Hunt isn't staying away from the Green Bay Packers' organized team activity camp simply because he doesn't feel like coming.

According to center Mike Flanagan, who spoke to Hunt by phone last week, Hunt has a beef with Packers management, although Flanagan refused to divulge exactly why the veteran defensive tackle is unhappy.

"I talked to Cletidus. There's some other stuff that's going on that he has some issues with that if he wants to talk about, he'll talk about," said Flanagan, who appears to be the only person associated with the team to have spoken with Hunt since the camp began last Wednesday. "He's got a gripe; whether it's legitimate or not, whether it justifies the decision he's made not to be here, I don't know about that. But he has a gripe."

Hunt, who missed the first three days of workouts last week, did not show up when the camp reconvened Monday following a weekend break. When Hunt missed the first portion of the June camp last year, he arrived the following Monday, issued a public apology and took part in the remaining practices.

This time around, it appears Hunt will skip the entire camp, even though the team is installing a new scheme under new defensive coordinator Jim Bates. The camp is technically voluntary, but Hunt and holdout wide receiver Javon Walker are the only two unexcused absentees.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson, when informed of Flanagan's conversation with Hunt and asked why Hunt is unhappy, replied, "I don't know anything about that."

Neither Thompson nor coach Mike Sherman has spoken with Hunt, and Thompson said no one else on the Packers' coaching or personnel staffs has spoken to him, either. But Thompson said he is not concerned.

"I wish everybody was here, but I'm fine. It's a voluntary camp," Thompson said. "I think if he was here working out and going through our OTA practice sessions, I think it would be better for him, and it would make the coaches and everybody feel a little better. But things happen. We hope he comes to training camp in shape and ready to go."

Hunt did not answer his cell phone Monday, and the outgoing message on his voicemail said the mailbox was full and unable accept messages.

Nose tackle Grady Jackson, who plays alongside Hunt on the interior of the defensive line and is one of Hunt's closest friends on the team, criticized his friend for not coming to the camp.

Jackson missed the first half of the camp last week while attending to a personal matter, but he arrived Monday and observed practice, even though Sherman said he won't let Jackson practice on his surgically repaired left knee until training camp.

"He's a great player when he wants to be, and he's got a lot of ability," said Jackson, who said he has not spoken to Hunt. "With a new system (being put) in, I feel like he should be here learning the new system and so everybody's on the same page when we get to training camp.

"He's got to turn it on, because maybe the Packers can only take so much. It's time to turn it on. It's time to put up or shut up. That's how the Packers feel. But he's a grown man, and you can't tell a grown guy what to do."

Added linebacker Na'il Diggs: "Some people's priorities are not there. Some people don't care."

Asked if Hunt, who registered just 37 tackles and two sacks last season, was digging his own grave with the team, Sherman said, "I wouldn't say that. We just have to wait and see what transpires between now and (training camp)."

One possible reason for Hunt's unhappiness could be the clause in his contract which allows the Packers to reduce his base salary by $250,000 if he does not work out at the team's facility a set number of days during the offseason. Each of the past two years, Hunt has chosen to stay home in Memphis, Tenn., forfeiting $500,000. Hunt signed a six-year, $25.35 million contract (including a $6 million signing bonus) before the 2003 season.

"Cletidus is what he is. He's always been this way," Flanagan said. "You don't really get a straight answer from him (as to why he's upset). Whether it's true or not, whether it's his skewed reality, I don't know."

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT seemed to blow off the fact that Hunt wasn't in camp, which, I assume, is either because TT doesn't like to be too contoversial through the press, or, more likely, he knows that the Pack are better off w/out him.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow...upset at being paid millions only so he can turn his back on teammates, the organization and fans alike. This piece of human refuse needs to be gone as soon as possible!

Learn from the mistake....NEVER waste a pick on talented, yet lazy and heartless players. They only suck money outta you and break your heart.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was that the word on him coming into the draft (potential but lazy)? I don't know, I'm just asking. But yeah, the writing is on the wall...I read that next year they'll be able to give him the June 1 ax, unless there are other cap friendly ways of dumping him b4 that.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
TT seemed to blow off the fact that Hunt wasn't in camp, which, I assume, is either because TT doesn't like to be too contoversial through the press, or, more likely, he knows that the Pack are better off w/out him.
Both, I presume.
Hammer

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither Thompson nor coach Mike Sherman has spoken with Hunt, and Thompson said no one else on the Packers' coaching or personnel staffs has spoken to him, either.

Shouldnt' they?? I would think someone on the coaching staff would try to talk to him and tell him why he should be there or to see why he is not.

Later
Leopardmech

tano1998

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CUT HIM....It's evident that he doesn't want to play for the Packers, or any team. Happy for him, he already won to much money...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"He's a great player when he wants to be" Grady Jackson on Cletidus Hunt.

Pretty much says it all. I wouldn't be surprised if he's let go by the end of training camp.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is the agent not involved?

Why does everyone call him instead of Hunt discussing it with some one?

Flanagan the Player rep called him and said there is no grievence.

My speculation is he does not want to step on the scale.

His problems are in his own mind.

If married he will be divorced within a year.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
He is due a seven figure roster bonus in March which will not happen.
Someone tells me I have a 7-figure bonus (in front of the decimal point) coming... I gotta say - I'd be there... totally wired....

He lives in Tennessee - is that in the mountains? Or, in the city?
Does he have family issues, or a living on the side which makes even more $$$$...?

Either way - why throw away all that money?
Just one time would more than pay off my new home... think about it!

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
most likely doesn't want another positive testing. Waiting for the sh*t to get out of his system. The year prior to his big raise, I for one, thought he'd be a tremendous asset not a trmendous ***.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
uwbadger12000,

I do too. He's a cancer cell and even some of his defensive teammates like Diggs referred to him by saying that some people just don't care. That's just it, he doesn't care. Get rid of him and he can join The Ricky Williams Hippy Lettuce Support Group.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only BEEF mr.hunt has with the Packers is ... he is just to damn lazy to get off his *** and play football. Given all the talent in the world and just too stupid to use it. When he shows up At Packer training camp, you can bet he will be wishing he would have came to this mini camp. :shock:

ricky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good grief, lets get a grip here, folks. Hunt missed another mini-camp. This is news? Hunt doesn't play hard every down. This is news? The question is: if Hunt is gone (even with all his flaws), who will replace him? Oh, you might say Washington, or Coles, or Lee, or someone else. The fact is, the Packers defensive line has been teetering on the edge of irrelevance since White left. Oh, yes, Brown was there- and a mighty warrior and loyal Packer he was. However, the fact remains, when Jackson left the Packer defense last year, the defense was pathetic/terrible/inept. Now, you are suggesting we subtract a starting tackle (however much you may think of him) and replace him with- who? When Jackson (inevitably, in my opinion) goes down, who are going to be the starting defensive tackles? Lee and Washington? Washington and Coles? Etc., etc. Yes, you may tout the "potential" of the back-ups, but they haven't proven anything yet. After all, the only thing the backups to Jackson showed last year was they weren't ready to play in the NFL. Will they suddenly make a quantum leap this year? Maybe. In the meantime, I'd rather keep an underachieving, part-time effort player that CAN make a difference at times to someone who showed no ability to make a difference last year. Not a popular opinion, and, at best, a backhand "compliment" to Hunt, but until someone outplays this guy, he should be the starter.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the meantime, I'd rather keep an underachieving, part-time effort player that CAN make a difference at times to someone who showed no ability to make a difference last year. Not a popular opinion, and, at best, a backhand "compliment" to Hunt, but until someone outplays this guy, he should be the starter.
Give me any undersized somewhat smaller player who busts his *** every down, over a talented primadonna who only shows up when he wants to.... anyday. In this world you lead by example and the crap hunt lays down week in and week out is nothing more than another discraction to an already weak packers defense. If any of the rookies or free agents look to old mr. hunt for leadership and examples of acceptable NFL conduct, we could have a cancer growing that couldn't be turned around for years to come. Cut Hunt now.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy this rates right up there with the old, "Well if YOU don't know, I am certainly not going to tell you!" line. :roll:

OP
OP
V

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packerbackers. Don't fool yourself about Hunt. This was Hunt last year:

After an unexcused absence kept Cletidus Hunt from the first three days of minicamp, the defensive tackle was all apologies Monday. "I'm not the kind of guy who misses camp at all, so I just put my apologies out and hope everyone accepts them." (Green Bay Press Gazette 6/8/04)

OK. Fast forward to August 2004.

Cletidus Hunt, who upset the Green Bay Packers by missing several practices at the mandatory minicamp in June, is paying for it now. Hunt, who reported slightly out of shape and overweight, was pulled out of the afternoon practice to do personal conditioning work such as running and riding a stationary bicycle. (WLUK August 3, 2004)

OK. Slightly out of shape for last year's training camp.

Defensive tackle Cletidus Hunt didn't appreciate being upbraided in front of his teammates by Mike Sherman on Monday afternoon but agreed with the assessment of the Green Bay Packers' coach. It was Hunt's estimate that he currently was at 80% of optimal conditioning. Hunt insisted that he reported in better shape a year ago, but Slowik said the coaches weren't thrilled by his conditioning [in 2003], either. (Journal/Sentinel August 5, 2004).

OK. Didn't appreciate being upbraided. Fast forward to April 2005.

Defensive tackle Cletidus Hunt also was among the seasoned pros sent home early, but Bates talked to him separately, one-on-one. Bates didn't hide his disappointment over Hunt missing most of the first four days of the minicamp because of a pulled hamstring sustained during conditioning tests Tuesday. "We were hoping he would come in and didn't have the injury and that we could have gotten a lot of work (out of him) and gotten off to a good start with Cletidus," Bates said. Bates suggested that the starting job is Hunt's to lose, stressing that the tackle needs to start producing positive results in the June minicamp. (WKOW April 30, 2005)

OK. Bates talked to him separately, one on one. Nice approach. Fast forward to June 2005.

Hunt, who proclaimed this time last year that "Im not the kind of guy who misses camp at all," is once again a camp no show.

IMO, the reason Hunt can't talk about his beef is because he hasn't got one. He's just a lazy rich kid with absolutely no credibility. He needs to go.

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can say is,Hunt better come into camp next month in shape. Bates won't take the crap from him.If he out of shape and is a cancer,get rid of him. I agree,play younger player who wants to play and gives 100% all the time.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cletidus Hunt has done just about everything you can do to get pushed right out of the NFL. You would think after all the negative press about his laziness, lack of heart, etc., he'd get into camp with avengeance. Not Hunt though, that just means skip camp when a new defensive scheme is being put in alienate yourself from your teammates. Everyone has the right to an opinion on this board, but I can't agree with Hunt remaining the starter. Go with hungry youth who gives everything all the time is my opinion.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:
....When he shows up At Packer training camp, you can bet he will be wishing he would have came to this mini camp. :shock:

Especially if some posters I read had there way where the Packers would run him into the ground in training camp and practice before cutting him on the last day before the season starts. :D

Maybe Hunt should hire Drew Rosenhaus and hold out for a pay raise. :mrgreen: :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts