anyone else like this underdog feeling?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I recall they were favored in the Super Bowl as well. I'm not sure if they were favored in the opening round at Philly, but if they weren't, it was really close -- 1 or 2 points. That's all Atlanta was favored by, too.

The 2010-11 run was fantastic but some revisionist history seems to indicate we were a huge underdog that somehow shocked the world but in reality, by the time we got in we had everyone's attention. There wasn't a clear cut favorite that year like we have with Seattle now, it was a wide open field.

We were underdogs by -2.5 at Philly, -1.5 at Atlanta, and favored by 3.5 at Chicago. Then we were favored by 3.0 against Pittsburgh.

Legalizeit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If people recall, Atlanta was the toast of the league when we made our run in 2010-2011. That was probably the only game we were truly underdogs though, people pretty much saw how things were going to do down after that.

Reaction score
It's just really a treat to have this opportunity he be a fan of this years squad. I think they have lived up to any reasonable expectation and considering the great competitor we are up against with an away game. Its correct we are a huge underdog, but with this dignified underdog comes a bit of magic. Win r lose, I love my Packers.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defeated the #1, #2 and #3 seed on the road on their way to the Super Bowl XLV win.

Yes, I did forget about the divisional playoff at Atlanta that season. So that gets us two.

The Packers were underdogs vs. Washington in '72 and lost 16-3.

They were underdogs and lost all four of the road playoffs at Dallas in '82,93,'94' & '95.

St. Louis was favored in 'o1 and came through 45-17.

If I recall they were also slight underdogs to Philly in the "4th & 26" playoff in '03.

San Francisco was the favorite in the past two seasons playoff matches. And won.

Last edited:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I'm digging it.

I like when everyone on TV and radio, internet simply writes us off.

I'm waiting for the moment on Sunday when Aaron goes all Keyzer Söze and that leg straightens up for a 70 yd laser pass.

Either way, I love being the underdog. Its the reason I am a bucks, brewers, badgers and most importantly, 25 year packers fan.

Win or lose, this will be a great game
Being the underdog has it's advantages. For example, if you win, you have better bragging rights. If you lose, well you were the underdog so no big deal.

BTW, love the Keyzer Söze analogy. I wonder how many don't get it.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though this team has played really well this year, I wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than a Super Bowl victory at this point. Rodgers is in his prime and we need to win another while he's still in it.

Anything less than the Lombardi is a failure to me.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every time I turn the TV on all I hear is doom and gloom for the Pack and praise for the Seahawks. This is just how I would want it though. It will make the victory that much sweeter.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I
Yes, I did forget about the divisional playoff at Atlanta that season. So that gets us two.

The Packers were underdogs vs. Washington in '72 and lost 16-3.

They were underdogs and lost all four of the road playoffs at Dallas in '82,93,'94' & '95.

St. Louis was favored in 'o1 and came through 45-17.

If I recall they were also slight underdogs to Philly in the "4th & 26" playoff in '03.

San Francisco was the favorite in the past two seasons playoff matches. And won.
i would rather have have the Packers be the overdog. While the underdog sometimes pulls an upset, the overdog wins more than 50 percent of the time so I'd rather have the odds with the Pack

OP
OP
sjb12681

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
H

HardRightEdge

If Thomas wants to take deep drops on the theory that Rodgers' is sandbagging, that's just fine. Rodgers has gotten quite comfortable throwing underneath all day over the last 3 games. Playing ball control has been a good look lately and fitting for the postseason and this game in particular, even if it's a disappointment to the fantasy crowd.

Of course, this time of year you can't believe anybody...there's a lot of gamesmanship in these public comments with plenty of media coverage to spread some misdirection. If, however, we can take Thomas at face value, it would seem he's psyching himself out a bit.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When a professional team of grown men are told they have no chance, it usually means bad things for the opposing team. This is why upsets happen. This how teams come together on Super Bowl runs.

Last edited:

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did substantial repairs and improvements to Christopher McQuarry's boat. He lives in Seattle on Lake Washington with his wife's parents.

I didn't think to ask him about his screenplay The Usual Suspects.

It's strange that the internets doesn't know that Chris lives in Seattle.

His boat is a Century

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though this team has played really well this year, I wouldn't be satisfied with anything less than a Super Bowl victory at this point. Rodgers is in his prime and we need to win another while he's still in it.

Anything less than the Lombardi is a failure to me.

I personally dont look at it as a failure. I would look at the Bears season as a failure, but this season hasnt been a failure for the Pack. I would think of it as unfair to call every season except the 96 season as a failure for the Packers during the Favre era.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I would consider it a minor upset.

I dont think the Seahawks fans would feel that way. With alot of them already booking flights and crap before the game even started. It would be a Major Upset...

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think the Seahawks fans would feel that way. With alot of them already booking flights and crap before the game even started. It would be a Major Upset...

I think if the Packers win the city of Seattle will look like a scene from the walking dead. The number of talking heads not only predicting a win but a blowout is really getting to be something. There are a few more careful analyses out there, but for most of them the logic is: Seattle beats Packers easy in week 1, Packers defense is bad, Rodgers is hobbled, Seahawks have the greatest defense of all time, and so,

Seahawks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Packers.

Legalizeit

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally dont look at it as a failure. I would look at the Bears season as a failure, but this season hasnt been a failure for the Pack. I would think of it as unfair to call every season except the 96 season as a failure for the Packers during the Favre era.

And they were failures, we went 15 years with a HOF QB, including the 90s where our team was often a juggernaut, but Brett was to much of an unabridaled choker for us to win more then one SB.. Yea, id say 1 title out of constant playoff appearances is a failure.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did substantial repairs and improvements to Christopher McQuarry's boat. He lives in Seattle on Lake Washington with his wife's parents.

I didn't think to ask him about his screenplay The Usual Suspects.

It's strange that the internets doesn't know that Chris lives in Seattle.

His boat is a Century

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Thanks! Most people don't want to help stalkers so I appreciate it when someone does step up to the plate. That Century Boat should be easy to spot.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say disappointment, but not a failure. We're 1 of 4 at this point and there are a lot of good football players in this league.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And they were failures, we went 15 years with a HOF QB, including the 90s where our team was often a juggernaut, but Brett was to much of an unabridaled choker for us to win more then one SB.. Yea, id say 1 title out of constant playoff appearances is a failure.
What a depressing way of looking at things. Each their own though.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess. I don't really see any team as being an underdog at this point in the season though. If you are one of the remaining 4 teams, you definitely have a shot of winning 2 more games.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
All that great football and all the exciting moments. Packers just had the misfortune of coming up against great Cowboys and 9'ers teams. I personally enjoyed all of those seasons. you need to achieve perspective. Lots of stars have to line up just right to win the Super bowl. The Pats found a young QB that could take the team loaded with talent from drafting low for all those year on a run. The Hawks have the same situation. When you have a great QB that keeps you consistently at the back of the line for talent, it becomes increasingly hard to Put a championship team together.

You appear to have been spoiled by 20+ years of success. Ask a Raiders or Jaguars fan how they would feel with our record. Your missing out on some great football.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has been quite sometime since I posted on these boards but as this game approached I had to come back and see what was up.

Being the "Underdog" is fine by me, I'd rather be the hunter than the hunted in these situations. If it were me I'd go out there and play like I had nothing to lose because noone thinks we can go in there and win this game. The Seahawks have everything to lose, there's no way they should lose this game according to most. No better place I'd rather be as a Packers fan.

"Go out, play like you know you can play and let's go to the Super Bowl" would be my message if I'm MM. Nothing crazy or over the top, just as simple as that because if they do that they can win.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts