Any other Business/Banter

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since these are very eclectic forums due to our varying nationalities, I thought I would let you guys in on a little of some of the common lingo that Itkovian and I might get caught using. (With slight variations on the Pittsburghish words.)

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/pennsylvania/pa-words/
Very interesting !
Philly for Philadelphia is pretty common, isn't it ? I think your're not surprised that I know "Gesundheit" as well :D

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since these are very eclectic forums due to our varying nationalities, I thought I would let you guys in on a little of some of the common lingo that Itkovian and I might get caught using. (With slight variations on the Pittsburghish words.)

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/pennsylvania/pa-words/
we use the term "runny eggs" for over easy, and what xactly is scrapple, it didn't divulge that info

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
we use the term "runny eggs" for over easy, and what xactly is scrapple, it didn't divulge that info

"Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name panhaas or "pan rabbit," is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then pan-fried before serving."

Sounds delicious right? :roflmao:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
"Scrapple, also known by the Pennsylvania Dutch name panhaas or "pan rabbit," is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and wheat flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then pan-fried before serving."

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/scrapple-recipe.html

I happen to love scrapple. I get it at the local diner and slather it up with butter. "The hardening of the arteries special!" My wife likes it with butter and King Syrup on it. We had it a lot growing up because the family lived close together and did their own butchering. They shared the meats, produce and fruits. We didn't have a lot of money but we had a great family around us. So, even in our area, some people hate scrapple and some love it. If it was a regular staple growing up, chances are that you will like it. Of course I also got accustomed to snapper (turtle) stew and squirrel pot pie (not made as a pie, but with big fat homemade dough noodle squares). Mmmmm....mmmm... Mom loved when I came home from school, grabbed the .410 and my revolver, then headed out to the woods behind Grampa's house to bring home several squirrels for meals. On a good day, I could bag 3-6. If I was really fortunate, I'd get a rabbit along the way.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i would give it a try, if you can eat haggis like i can, then anything else is probably considered normal. but scrapple almost sounds liek what i imagine meatloaf to be like(?)

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/scrapple-recipe.html

I happen to love scrapple. I get it at the local diner and slather it up with butter. "The hardening of the arteries special!" My wife likes it with butter and King Syrup on it. We had it a lot growing up because the family lived close together and did their own butchering. They shared the meats, produce and fruits. We didn't have a lot of money but we had a great family around us. So, even in our area, some people hate scrapple and some love it. If it was a regular staple growing up, chances are that you will like it. Of course I also got accustomed to snapper (turtle) stew and squirrel pot pie (not made as a pie, but with big fat homemade dough noodle squares). Mmmmm....mmmm... Mom loved when I came home from school, grabbed the .410 and my revolver, then headed out to the woods behind Grampa's house to bring home several squirrels for meals. On a good day, I could bag 3-6. If I was really fortunate, I'd get a rabbit along the way.

I've had scrapple and it's decent. It's like a hot dog though, not bad eating but horrible to describe what it consists of :eek:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
i would give it a try, if you can eat haggis like i can, then anything else is probably considered normal. but scrapple almost sounds liek what i imagine meatloaf to be like(?)

It's less like meatloaf and more like mush. Meatloaf around here usually has some sort of bread like filling mixed in with it. Scrapple has cornmeal. Meatloaf usually has ground beef. Scrapple has pork scraps and sometimes innards ground up. But it really isn't bad fried, if you don't think too much about what is in it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Meatloaf is a baked hamburger. Typically it is ground beef, shredded bread, and ketchup mushed together and baked in a bread pan. Usually eggs are added to glue it all together. Also topped with more ketchup. I have substituted barbecue sauce for the initial ketchup. I have also replaced some of the beef with spiced pork sausage, added cheese or taco seasoning. I like to make multiple varieties and bake them in mini-loaf or muffin pans. Much quicker cooking time and the kids will get one they like and I get to sample. Plus it is a good way to disguise the ground turkey the wife insists on buying.

EDIT: Ugggh!!! scooped on the meatloaf.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's less like meatloaf and more like mush. Meatloaf around here usually has some sort of bread like filling mixed in with it. Scrapple has cornmeal. Meatloaf usually has ground beef. Scrapple has pork scraps and sometimes innards ground up. But it really isn't bad fried, if you don't think too much about what is in it.
Could it be the origin of Spam?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

there`s nothing wrong with haggis............beautiful

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
there`s nothing wrong with haggis............beautiful

One of my friends likes to order haggis when we go out to the right place. Looks like a variation on our hog maw. Except the ingredients are more "innards" which kind of scares me off of it. At least hog maw has sausage in it.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The area in which I live is receiving its 15 minutes of fame this weekend. The little league baseball team (11-13 year olds) just won the U.S. Championship out of approximately 7000 teams. Tomorrow they play Japan for the world Championship. ESPN was at my daughter's school on Friday to film their "pep rally" and interview students. There were 45,000 spectators at today's game. That's more than some major league baseball games attendance. My daughter is going to be at the game tomorrow with her friends. The wife and I are going to stay home and watch it on the TV (or for you Brits, "the telly".)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The area in which I live is receiving its 15 minutes of fame this weekend. The little league baseball team (11-13 year olds) just won the U.S. Championship out of approximately 7000 teams. Tomorrow they play Japan for the world Championship. ESPN was at my daughter's school on Friday to film their "pep rally" and interview students. There were 45,000 spectators at today's game. That's more than some major league baseball games attendance. My daughter is going to be at the game tomorrow with her friends. The wife and I are going to stay home and watch it on the TV (or for you Brits, "the telly".)
45.000 people watching a 11-13 yo students game ? Impressive and impossible over here, even if it would be football/soccer game! :tup:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
O.K. guys, I'm off and on my way to Scotland.
First down to Dunkerque to take the ferry to Dover, then heading to Doncaster to stay there for the night. Will arrive in Glasgow Sunday. After Glasgow stays in Aberdeen, Inverness, Thurso and Ullapool are booked. After that I'll decide where to go depending on the weather.
However hoping to see the Packers game with my game pass on Sunday night or to be more precisely - Monday
morning ;)
See you later......

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

First down to Dunkerque to take the ferry to Dover, then heading to Doncaster to stay there for the night. Will arrive in Glasgow Sunday. After Glasgow stays in Aberdeen, Inverness, Thurso and Ullapool are booked. After that I'll decide where to go depending on the weather.
However hoping to see the Packers game with my game pass on Sunday night or to be more precisely - Monday
morning ;)
See you later......

Enjoy

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
morning ;)
See you later......

Enjoy your Beer Sporting... throw in a scotch or two. And who are the Packers? Maybe you meant Norwich? :D:p:D

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
morning ;)
See you later......
welcome back, and enjoy nessie.

i stayed up to watch last nights game, i'm like a half-shut knife today, and works quiet so struggling to keep my eyes open

Latest posts