Any other Business/Banter

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly one week already over on our trip and although I'm travelling a lot there are some things that I did not expect or wasn't aware of.

Despite of having end of September it's still very busy everywhere. Almost impossible to find a nice B&B for two nights on the Isle of Mull or isle of Lewis. We gave up and are staying on Skye from Monday on.

What else:
Inverness is overrun by "millions" of Chinese people with selfie-sticks. :eek::D
.....and way too many Germans here as well :oops::laugh:
Surprised to realize the large number of Polish people living in Inverness.

Glasgow is definitely worth a trip, nice museums and friendly people there. Same has to be said about Aberdeen. Dont know why so many people were surprised that we spent two days in Aberdeen, but I definitely like the city despite of its grey appearance. The Maritime Museum is outstanding, Brewdog has a own bar/pub, Speyside is only a short trip away and the butteries we had for breakfast were great ;)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Sadly one week already over on our trip and although I'm travelling a lot there are some things that I did not expect or wasn't aware of.

Despite of having end of September it's still very busy everywhere. Almost impossible to find a nice B&B for two nights on the Isle of Mull or isle of Lewis. We gave up and are staying on Skye from Monday on.

What else:
Inverness is overrun by "millions" of Chinese people with selfie-sticks. :eek::D

Glasgow is definitely worth a trip, nice museums and friendly people there. Same has to be said about Aberdeen. Dont know why so many people were surprised that we spent two days in Aberdeen, but I definitely like the city despite of its grey appearance. The Maritime Museum is outstanding, Brewdog has a own bar/pub, Speyside is only a short trip away and the butteries we had for breakfast were great ;)

You HAVE to visit the Talisker distillery on Skye, if only to annoy Croak....:laugh:

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And what teams/games are they showing instead? Raiders or other crappy teams? :rolleyes:

just realised that i have taken that thurs/fri off as it's my birthday, and i don't work my birthday so will be able to stay up and watch it. still haven't decided if i'm staying up to watch the KC match tonight yet 1:30am kickoff???

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What else:

my city isn't grey sir, it is the "silver city with the golden sands"(that is when it's sunny, so not often). butteries are a staple part of our diet. speyside is a beautiful area, and my mum was brought up in a small village(10-12 houses) right next to the glenlivet distillery, only time i've been there in the last few years was to spread my mums ashes a couple months ago, need to pay a visit to the distillery some time soon

I

my city isn't grey sir, it is the "silver city with the golden sands"(that is when it's sunny, so not often). butteries are a staple part of our diet. speyside is a beautiful area, and my mum was brought up in a small village(10-12 houses) right next to the glenlivet distillery, only time i've been there in the last few years was to spread my mums ashes a couple months ago, need to pay a visit to the distillery some time soon

Sorry about your Mum Scotty......You have to visit the distillery for Croaks sake :whistling:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm still catching up on episodes of "Life on Mars" the U.K. version. My wife often comments on how a brit accent melts her. (So I'm practicing.) But we both notice that there is a different mindset with Brit writers that we both really like. There is a certain "deeper thinking" for lack of a better term, involved in Brit dramas and humor that U.S. writers could learn a bit of. Now all I have to do, is figure out what all they are saying (without using closed captions). Two nations separated by a common language. :)

I

I'm still catching up on episodes of "Life on Mars" the U.K. version. My wife often comments on how a brit accent melts her. (So I'm practicing.) But we both notice that there is a different mindset with Brit writers that we both really like. There is a certain "deeper thinking" for lack of a better term, involved in Brit dramas and humor that U.S. writers could learn a bit of. Now all I have to do, is figure out what all they are saying (without using closed captions). Two nations separated by a common language. :)

If I ever have the pleasure of meeting you both, I`ll bring a translator :laugh:. With me, just imagine John Lennon saying it.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just remembered I'm a moderator too. You're on warning! ;)
.....You have to visit the distillery for Croaks sake :whistling:

i think i'm going to take the wee one there at the end of october at the end of the tattie holidays. last time i did the tour i was a bairn myself! my Grandad worked there until the early 80's
@Croak , have i told you that my uncle works at the Tomintoul distillery, and that i get cheap bottles from him, usually at least 30% cheaper than retail, and as it is advertised, it certainly is "the gentle dram"

last time i was at my uncles during the summer he has been given a presentation bottle for 25years services there, and he also had some cask strength of the same age that we might have had a wee dram of, needed a wee drap of water imo

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
You HAVE to visit the Talisker distillery on Skye, if only to annoy Croak....:laugh:
O.K......especially for Croak.....:D
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The tour itself was average. For 8£ per person you only get one single sample at the end of the tour.
In our case the Talisker Storm that I quite liked.
However, I'm not complaining but had better tours before although its worth a short visit. Unfortunately it wasnt allowed to take pictures inside so this is the only pic that I took.

I

The tour itself was average. For 8£ per person you only get one single sample at the end of the tour.
However, I'm not complaining but had better tours before although its worth a short visit. Unfortunately it wasnt allowed to take pictures inside so this is the only pic that I took.

This just keeps making me smile :laugh:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

You guys really know how to torture a fella, don't ya?

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry about your mum too. I'm lucky as my dad and mum are still alive. However, I'd like to see the Glenlivet distillery one day.
Are there any other typical Aberdeen dishes, cakes or whatever besides butteries? I always love to try local specialities when travelling a foreign country?
And I learned my lesson, from now on I'll never use the word grey again when talking about Aberdeen ;)
Silver City with Golden Sands sounds way better :tup::laugh:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
OK, when a trip to Lambeau field in December was on my "bucket list", Itkovian made it possible. Itkovian, if you are reading this, my bucket list has been amended. It now includes, Scotland Ireland and England. ;)

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
OK, when a trip to Lambeau field in December was on my "bucket list", Itkovian made it possible. Itkovian, if you are reading this, my bucket list has been amended. It now includes, Scotland Ireland and England. ;)

HA!

Although I do think we could do Ireland relatively cheaply....maybe at some point within the next 5 years.

Members online

Latest posts