All the draft complaining...let's look over the past 10 seasons...

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon will out snap Jamaal, that so much is obvious considering what he brings to the table and what they want to do with this offense. Towards the end of the year he may out snap Jones too. I'd expect Jones to be out at WR more this year so two RB's on the field may be more common.

There is no guarantee Jamaal makes it through camp. Plenty of sites out there list him as a training camp cut.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see zero instances where Jamaal Williams is cut. He's on a rookie deal. He's solidly solid as a running back. he has some skills in the passing game, is a great pass protector and is highly active on special teams. he may not make it thru camp because he's someone a team may actually try and trade for, though I wouldn't count on it.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see zero instances where Jamaal Williams is cut. He's on a rookie deal. He's solidly solid as a running back. he has some skills in the passing game, is a great pass protector and is highly active on special teams. he may not make it thru camp because he's someone a team may actually try and trade for, though I wouldn't count on it.

Maybe if a team sustains an injury at RB he could be traded. I don't think he carries much value (for a team to send us a draft pick) as the teams that needed an RB just drafted one. Then again, we've gotten draft picks for lesser talents so who knows. I guess he is good insurance if either Jones or Dillon gets hurt. Then again, Ervin may be too. Jamaal is just the odd man out.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it would depend on other positions, some are going to have to make it so difficult to cut them that then one of those RB's becomes a cut option. Ervin offers something different and he's a return man. I think Dillion will see quite a bit of action, but I also see Jones and Williams as 1-2 to start the season. There is going to be a shift on offense and 4 RB's, with 1 being change of pace and return man is probably the number we carry on the 53. Gone are the days of wondering if we're keeping 7 WR's

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon will out snap Jamaal, that so much is obvious considering what he brings to the table and what they want to do with this offense. Towards the end of the year he may out snap Jones too. I'd expect Jones to be out at WR more this year so two RB's on the field may be more common.

There is no guarantee Jamaal makes it through camp. Plenty of sites out there list him as a training camp cut.

There is no guarantee of this happening at all. While I believe that Dillon will take over the backup RB role, his ability to pass block is going to determine whether that happens or not. Williams is basically an average NFL RB in every phase except pass blocking where he's above-average. I don't think Dillon needs to be above-average at pass blocking but plenty of good college RBs haven't been able to pick up blocking scheme quickly and the way this off-season is going to play out is going to make it much more difficult than usual for rookies to transition to the NFL.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cutting Williams would save the team $2.3m in cap space. They might not need it but the team still needs to bring back Tramon at CB and there are other interesting free agents out there on defense. I'm not saying I think it likely, but I could see some scenarios where the team might need to cut Williams for the cap space.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah and playing Jones in the slot or even out wide helps save his body, a bit, from the grind of a RB. Dillon outsnaps Williams for sure. I said it before. You don’t draft a RB in the 2nd round for him to be the 3rd RB. Makes no sense.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it would depend on other positions, some are going to have to make it so difficult to cut them that then one of those RB's becomes a cut option. Ervin offers something different and he's a return man. I think Dillion will see quite a bit of action, but I also see Jones and Williams as 1-2 to start the season. There is going to be a shift on offense and 4 RB's, with 1 being change of pace and return man is probably the number we carry on the 53. Gone are the days of wondering if we're keeping 7 WR's

This is exactly how I saw it. More 2 receiver sets = less receivers rostered. I’m also going to say that we roster 4 RB’s and Jones, Dillon, and Williams will all get plenty of playing time with 350 carries divided amongst them. I’ll predict that Dillon will out-carry but not out-snap Williams because MLF will get creative and we’ll be playing a lot of 2 back sets. Williams will have the least amount of carries but will still see no less than 70 if all three play 16 games.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is exactly how I saw it. More 2 receiver sets = less receivers rostered. I’m also going to say that we roster 4 RB’s and Jones, Dillon, and Williams will all get plenty of playing time with 350 carries divided amongst them. I’ll predict that Dillon will out-carry but not out-snap Williams because MLF will get creative and we’ll be playing a lot of 2 back sets. Williams will have the least amount of carries but will still see no less than 70 if all three play 16 games.
Nice posts by you and Mondio. I’m certain Dillon will get more carries than Williams. I also think that for this year, they will carry 4 RBs (including Ervin). Ervin is more of a gadget guy, but he’s sound in the return game and we all saw the difference he made last year when GB was negative in return yards until he was added. And he’s an elusive runner. And that allows Gluten to carry one less WR because Jones can play slot or even wideout.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see Jones as a w/o. Unless, he is there for a short screen and then everyone knows it.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice posts by you and Mondio. I’m certain Dillon will get more carries than Williams. I also think that for this year, they will carry 4 RBs (including Ervin). Ervin is more of a gadget guy, but he’s sound in the return game and we all saw the difference he made last year when GB was negative in return yards until he was added. And he’s an elusive runner. And that allows Gluten to carry one less WR because Jones can play slot or even wideout.

I agree with Ervin. Who else would run back kicks? Shepherd could but I’d rather him not.... we could be looking at the same situation as last year. 4 RB’s and 6 wideouts to start the season.

H

HardRightEdge

I just don't see Jones as a w/o. Unless, he is there for a short screen and then everyone knows it.
Right now, other than Adams, Jones is the best route runner out of the slot on this roster. And you better not get caught covering him with a linebacker. He was killing those guys last season.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Right. I wouldn't be all that sure Dillion is the #2 out of the box. We'll have to see how he does behind this blocking scheme against at least preseason competition, however much of that there might be.

I think it is far more realistic to think Williams would be traded rather than cut if Dillon is working out right away which is far from certain. There are 32 teams, most carrying 3 RBs, with some percentage getting banged up by opening day. He's at least decent in all three phases, he wouldn't be very expensive, and his mileage is relatively low. The compensation would not be all that much, but it would be something.

I've mentioned this before. There are not many RBs, maybe no others, who can take 80 NFL offensive snaps in a game just to start, and then gain 150 yards from scrimmage in the process. Williams did that. It never ceases to amaze me how people who watch every Packer game think he's "just a guy". Well, it doesn't amaze me all that much--he doesn't rip off the highlight reel long gainers. Down in, down out? Very solid.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers fail to get their 2nd round running back more carries than Williams ill be disappointed.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah you’re right now that I think about it. They’ll be better off using set pass plays with Jones coming out of the backfield, maybe the slot now and then.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. I wouldn't be all that sure Dillion is the #2 out of the box. We'll have to see how he does behind this blocking scheme against at least preseason competition, however much of that there might be.

I think it is far more realistic to think Williams would be traded rather than cut if Dillon is working out right away which is far from certain. There are 32 teams, most carrying 3 RBs, with some percentage getting banged up by opening day. He's at least decent in all three phases, he wouldn't be very expensive, and his mileage is relatively low. The compensation would not be all that much, but it would be something.

I've mentioned this before. There are not many RBs, maybe no others, who can take 80 NFL offensive snaps in a game just to start, and then gain 150 yards from scrimmage in the process. Williams did that. It never ceases to amaze me how people who watch every Packer game think he's "just a guy". Well, it doesn't amaze me all that much--he doesn't rip off the highlight reel long gainers. Down in, down out? Very solid.

There’s no doubt that Williams is an asset so he is neither a cut or trade candidate. That being said, can you imagine if the hype on Dillon proves true. That’s a nice little stable of backs for 2020. Three headed monster to divvy up carries to ensure fresh legs for the playoffs.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF Dillon proves to be what they hope, and it is before the trade deadline I think it would be illogical NOT to field attempts to move him. He isn't resigning with us, UNLESS we plan on a Williams/Dillon future and not paying high cost of Jones contract.

Dillon is a double edge sword if he pans out for Green Bay in the Jones and Williams contract seasons. It is IMO the most intriguing thing for 2021 projections or guesses.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF Dillon proves to be what they hope, and it is before the trade deadline I think it would be illogical NOT to field attempts to move him. He isn't resigning with us, UNLESS we plan on a Williams/Dillon future and not paying high cost of Jones contract.

Dillon is a double edge sword if he pans out for Green Bay in the Jones and Williams contract seasons. It is IMO the most intriguing thing for 2021 projections or guesses.

Of course you field attempts to see what you can get but Would you trade away our playoff insurance policy for a 6th or 7th rounder? I wouldn’t.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course you field attempts to see what you can get but Would you trade away our playoff insurance policy for a 6th or 7th rounder? I wouldn’t.

I have always been firmly in the camp of get something now for a guy that isn't going to give you even a comp pick in future if you know you're moving on.

IF Dillon performs, AND Williams is not fielded for traded if I'm Jones I'd get a little worried I'm not gonna be wearing a G in 2021.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have always been firmly in the camp of get something now for a guy that isn't going to give you even a comp pick in future if you know you're moving on.

IF Dillon performs, AND Williams is not fielded for traded if I'm Jones I'd get a little worried I'm not gonna be wearing a G in 2021.

Me too. if we are out of playoff contention. RB’s get beat up and you never know when one will go down. Coleman Left the NFCC and mostert stepped up for 220 and 4.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I expect Williams to start the season as the #2 back. Dillon will get his snaps but if he’s gonna ascend to the #2 back, he’ll have to earn it. It seems more likely they’ll use Dillon to spell Jones than Williams anyway.

And yes, Williams has very quietly become a big part of the running game, lack of highlight-reel runs notwithstanding.

H

HardRightEdge

If Jones is worried at all about leaving Green Bay he should be worried regardless of whether Williams is retained. The 2021 cap doesn't offer much room with a lot of work to do while second contracts for running backs are a risky proposition to start with. While Dillon might make Williams the odd man out in 2020 it is worth considering whether the primary reason for that draft pick is to replace expensive risk with a much less expensive option.

You just don't take running backs in the 2nd. round if you're not expecting him to play a lot while he's cheap and the mileage is low.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I expect Williams to start the season as the #2 back. Dillon will get his snaps but if he’s gonna ascend to the #2 back, he’ll have to earn it. It seems more likely they’ll use Dillon to spell Jones than Williams anyway.

And yes, Williams has very quietly become a big part of the running game, lack of highlight-reel runs notwithstanding.
Carrying 4 RBs is a problem. Carrying more than 3 on the game day roster is also a problem. Ervin is a RB, and they used him for a couple of carries late in the year for some good yardage and LaFleur has stated he'd like to have him more involved in the offense.

The only way I see them carrying all 4, short of somebody getting injured before opening day, is if Dillon is simply not ready for prime time. The bar for him wouldn't be all that high. Players polish their game by playing the game and the coaches may be quite willing to dispense with Williams and give Dillon those snaps even if he's looking a little rough coming out of the shoot. You don't pay guys $2 mil as with Williams to have him standing on the sideline sweats, off the game day roster.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carrying 4 RBs is a problem. Carrying more than 3 on the game day roster is also a problem. Ervin is a RB, and they used him for a couple of carries late in the year for some good yardage and LaFleur has stated he'd like to have him more involved in the offense.

The only way I see them carrying all 4, short of somebody getting injured before opening day, is if Dillon is simply not ready for prime time. The bar for him wouldn't be all that high. Players polish their game by playing the game and the coaches may be quite willing to dispense with Williams and give Dillon those snaps even if he's looking a little rough coming out of the shoot. You don't pay guys $2 mil as with Williams to have him standing on the sideline sweats, off the game day roster.

It is for these reasons I think there is serious likelihood that Ervin isn't on the gameday roster...UNLESS no one else steps up to the return game role <---which to be clear is very very likely possibly given our recent issues.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Is a fullback not a RB? Four made the final roster in 2019. Jones, Williams, Dexter Williams, and Danny Vitale.