All Pros

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like TT was pretty much dead set on taking a cornerback. The Packers moved down after Tre White came off the board to the Bills. I've long suspected that he was their choice if he made it to #29.

Imagine if they have Tre White across from Jaire?
If they had gotten White, would Gutekunst even have drafted Alexander?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If they had gotten White, would Gutekunst even have drafted Alexander?

I think the best way to answer that question is to ask another-- what would have been different that would have changed his decision making process?

Alexander was not drafted to replace King, but to play across from him.

You need, at a minimum, three corners who you're comfortable playing 70% of the time.

I think if it had changed a pick, it more likely would have changed the Josh Jackson selection in round 2.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly so. The Alexander pick came after two trades so it does appear in retrospect that Alexander was targeted.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think if it had changed a pick, it more likely would have changed the Josh Jackson selection in round 2.
Possibly so. The Alexander pick came after two trades so it does appear in retrospect that Alexander was targeted.
They may not have targetted Jaire and instead settled for Jackson. Wasn't there a surefire safety that everyone drooled over about the time the Packers moved down with the first trade?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the best way to answer that question is to ask another-- what would have been different that would have changed his decision making process?

Alexander was not drafted to replace King, but to play across from him.

You need, at a minimum, three corners who you're comfortable playing 70% of the time.

I agree completely... Which is why the secondary is a potentially major issue next year. Either have to, probably, overpay King or go into next season with one great corner and a while lotta question marks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Which is why the secondary is a potentially major issue next year. Either have to, probably, overpay King or go into next season with one great corner and a while lotta question marks.

The Packers will need to find a way to replace King next season but in my opinion you exaggerate expecting the secondary to be a major issue as long as Alexander, Amos and Savage are around.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will need to find a way to replace King next season but in my opinion you exaggerate expecting the secondary to be a major issue as long as Alexander, Amos and Savage are around.

You've listed one corner, ideally a team wants 3 in addition to the safeties. You can't expect your safeties to be covering receivers all the time.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've listed one corner, ideally a team wants 3 in addition to the safeties. You can't expect your safeties to be covering receivers all the time.

Has everyone really just forgotten about Chandon Sullivan this easily the guys been pretty good for us this year and should be back next year.

Kevin King leaving would create a hole which probably should be addressed in the draft but I don't see it decimating our secondary, especially i we do draft a CB and that player turns out to be good.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has everyone really just forgotten about Chandon Sullivan this easily the guys been pretty good for us this year and should be back next year.

Kevin King leaving would create a hole which probably should be addressed in the draft but I don't see it decimating our secondary, especially i we do draft a CB and that player turns out to be good.

Sullivan has flashed at times but relying on a rookie to be a decent starting CB is a bit much.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sullivan has flashed at times but relying on a rookie to be a decent starting CB is a bit much.
he's not a Rookie he's in his second year right now and will be in his 3rd next year.

Also we are relying him right now as a second year player and he's been very good he's arguably been better then King has been this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, the Packers would have to replace King if he leaves in free agency but it should be possible to add another cornerback next offseason to prevent the secondary from becoming a major issue.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's not a Rookie he's in his second year right now and will be in his 3rd next year.

Also we are relying him right now as a second year player and he's been very good he's arguably been better then King has been this year.

The post I replied to mentioned a rookie being a contributor.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That's true, but relying on them to be roughly comparable to what King's been this year might not be.
Maybe, but I think it’s more likely that someone currently on the roster will be better than anyone we draft and will be the likely starter at least in the first half of next season. Also a possibility they bring someone in cheap from the outside that didn’t get a contract.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Maybe, but I think it’s more likely that someone currently on the roster will be better than anyone we draft and will be the likely starter at least in the first half of next season. Also a possibility they bring someone in cheap from the outside that didn’t get a contract.

They might allow Jackson or Hollman to compete with a rookie for that job.

I think the best case scenario would be if King, coming off a down year, was willing to accept a cheap, one year contract to re-establish his value. Then they'd be able to draft a successor without the need being immediate.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have more confidence in a draft pick being up to the challenge of replacing King than anyone currently on the roster.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6 all pros. 2 guys who had all pro type season in Jenkins and Amos. Jones is close as well. Kenny Clark started slow but looked like his dominant self down the stretch (I think part of his slow start is the guys playing next to him). That is a nice stable of talent

Clark was struggling with a groin injury

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I have more confidence in a draft pick being up to the challenge of replacing King than anyone currently on the roster.
Eventually maybe. Right out of the gate I’d expect guys with two years in the system to be significantly ahead of a rookie picked at #32.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sullivan is not an outside corner at all. He's struggled at times as our 3rd. He flashes, which I'm okay with out of your 3rd or 4th CB...not my opposite Jaire island corner though.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sullivan is not an outside corner at all. He's struggled at times as our 3rd. He flashes, which I'm okay with out of your 3rd or 4th CB...not my opposite Jaire island corner though.

Right, what Sullivan does bring is some stability at the nickel spot. Its an easier order to grab a number 2 corner if A) you have 4 of the 5 positions filled with adequate to plus talent. B) Your CB1 is Jaire, his ability to lockdown number1 receivers let's us allocate safties elsewhere, whether its giving more help to our 2cb or nickel, or just letting them roam and make plays. We could probably look for a cb in rounds 2 or 3 and do alright. Look for another depth guy further back in rounds 4 to 7.

IMO replacing King should be doable.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CONCUR 100%.

Personally if money allows and King takes a logical contract resigning him is. Option #1

If not, I enter the draft seeing if I can find it. Option #2

If that doesn't work or I don't feel it will play out as it did, I'm signing a veteran on the back end of things but still very capable of being a #2. Option #3

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not saying he is I'm just saying if King leaves our entire secondary doesn't turn to crap we'd have a hole at outside CB but Sullivan will still be here to man the slot which he's done well and Jaire will still be here as one of our outside CB's.
And our two safeties that are both looking like studs at the moment will also be here.

King will be a loss but I don't see our secondary turning into a disaster without him and if Hollman or one of our other depth CB's steps up and looks good or we draft a good CB I could see our secondary actually getting better next year even with the loss of King.

D

Deleted member 6794

Eventually maybe. Right out of the gate I’d expect guys with two years in the system to be significantly ahead of a rookie picked at #32.

Neither Jackson nor Hollman have done anything justifying being more comfortable in either of them being up to the task of replacing King than in a rookie.