All Pros

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
110% agree. Unless someone like Stanford Samuels steps up out of the back of the room, our 2021 #2 CB outside is not on the roster presently....well unless it is a King resigning.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Neither Jackson nor Hollman have done anything justifying being more comfortable in either of them being up to the task of replacing King than in a rookie.
Lol, We go through this every year. Young Guys that don’t develop and improve their game get cut. Scantling and Lazard and Tonyan and Patrick and Sullivan and Keke and Gary all have made improvement. Jury is definitely still out on Burks and Sternberger and Jackson.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
110% agree. Unless someone like Stanford Samuels steps up out of the back of the room, our 2021 #2 CB outside is not on the roster presently....well unless it is a King resigning.
You hearing inside info from 1265 Lombardi? If Samuels has a higher upside and inside track more so than Jackson or Hollman, this is the first time I’ve heard it.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You hearing inside info from 1265 Lombardi? If Samuels has a higher upside and inside track more so than Jackson or Hollman, this is the first time I’ve heard it.
I think it’s more about the fact that we’ve seen enough of Jackson and Holman to form an opinion. Samuels... not so much.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lol, We go through this every year. Young Guys that don’t develop and improve their game get cut. Scantling and Lazard and Tonyan and Patrick and Sullivan and Keke and Gary all have made improvement. Jury is definitely still out on Burks and Sternberger and Jackson.

There's an even longer list of young players who never developed into decent NFLers, a fact you seem to ignore every time we talk about the topic.

While it's possible Jackson and Hollman make a jump next year I don't think it's realistic to expect it out of Jackson after three seasons with the team anymore. Hollman might still have a better chance to improve.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There's an even longer list of young players who never developed into decent NFLers, a fact you seem to ignore every time we talk about the topic.

While it's possible Jackson and Hollman make a jump next year I don't think it's realistic to expect it out of Jackson after three seasons with the team anymore. Hollman might still have a better chance to improve.

I would say that the point isn't that all young players develop into decent players, or that the expectation should be that all young players will develop.

The point is that all teams have to count on the gamble that young players will develop to fill some holes on the roster because no team has the resources to fill every spot with a high draft pick or expensive veteran.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
And like I said, those that don’t get cut and replaced by newcomers. I think the Packers record of draft and develop over the last 15 years speaks for itself and is clearly reflected by their win/loss record. I don’t see the sky falling soon. Players come, players go.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://lombardiave.com/2021/01/08/packers-jaire-alexander-snubbed/

Very Interesting!

Cornerbacks Xavien Howard (Dolphins) and Jalen Ramsey (Rams) were given the nod ahead of Alexander.

It’s very confusing to understand why Alexander was left off of the first team. The only knock against Alexander was his interceptions. He had just one interception this year and it was in the first week against the Vikings while covering Adam Thielen. In the same game, he also recorded a sack and a safety.

According to Pro Football Focus, Jaire was the top cornerback in the league.

Jaire Alexander allowed fewer yards this season (450) than Howard (918) and Ramsey (515). He also allowed fewer receptions, yards per reception, yards per target, and pass break-ups. He led the league with 18 pass break-ups.

The only thing Howard really has on Alexander is 10 interceptions, which is impressive, so I can see why he would earn first-team honors. But Ramsey, who was behind Alexander in most defensive categories, also had just one interception this season as well.

In my opinion, Alexander was much more deserving of first-team honors than Jalen Ramsey was. Unfortunately, while he had a nice season, I think it was Ramsey’s name and reputation that got him that spot on the first team.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would say that the point isn't that all young players develop into decent players, or that the expectation should be that all young players will develop.

The point is that all teams have to count on the gamble that young players will develop to fill some holes on the roster because no team has the resources to fill every spot with a high draft pick or expensive veteran.

I' well that of the fact that teams need young players to develop into ones having a positive impact but more often than not those guys never perform up to expectations.

Pike seems to believe it works way more often than it actually does.

I think the Packers record of draft and develop over the last 15 years speaks for itself and is clearly reflected by their win/loss record.

I mostly attribute the Packers record over the last 15 seasons to having a HOF quarterback starting for most of the time.

I don’t see the sky falling soon. Players come, players go.

Relax, I wasn't saying anything about the sky falling but merely that I would have more confidence in a rookie than Jackson or Hollman to replace King.

Members online

Latest posts