AJ Green

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve been throwing his name out there for years. The Bungals are done and will probably be looking to rebuild under new HC Zack Taylor after this year. Him and Adams become the best duo in the league if we can get him. Packers have almost 25 mil in cap space to make this happen. The moment he is cleared to play they should at least call.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Packers have almost 25 mil in cap space to make this happen.
These people say not so much
PACKERS 2019 CAP TOTALS
These people sort of agree
Total Cap Liabilities: $187,693,119
  • Top 51: $159,800,210
  • Team Cap Space: $9,083,272
  • Offense: $109,016,984
  • Defense: $57,441,139
  • Special: $6,063,725

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to deny Green's talent, but then He's always been AJ Green on the Bengals. He's the guy. BUT he missed the first part of last season, missed the last quarter of the season and has now missed the 1st quarter of this season with injury. He's not younger, he's not cheap and I'd be hesitant to offer much to bring him here.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has a cap hit of 15m this season iirc.
He's 32 next year.
His last double digit TD count was in 2015.

His value is far greater than his worth.

I think we probably need a veteran to tide over a year or two till our youngsters mature or we draft new. Don't think Green fits the criteria.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love AJ, but unless the Bengals or somehow in a trade take a ton of that cost of him WE NEED TO NOT EVEN CONSIDER....would be a worse business move than the smart move of letting Daniels go.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another talented wr is definitely needed. If green is still green he's worth a 4th round pick. But either way the Packers wr group is not good enough. Allison is just a guy. Mvs is pretty good but still needs to develop quite a bit. That int at the end of the game was on him, he's gotta go get that ball he had the inside that should of been a TD. Whether he dropped it or he let the DB beat him to a ball he had better position on. The fault lies with him not Rodgers. I think the team is really feeling the loss st brown. He is more polished than mvs and I think he would of had a really good 2nd season.

In the end I'm not sure who else is available beyond green? But someone is needed. Maybe kumarow, sheperd, or lazard steps up with Adams out for likely a month.

H

HardRightEdge

He has a cap hit of 15m this season iirc.
Out of that number, the Bengals are on the hook for:
  • $3 mil is signing bonus prorated to 2019
  • $200,000 2019 workout bonus
  • 4 base salary weekly checks to date = 4/17 x 11,976,000 = $2.82 mil
A trade for this player at this moment would be the cost of 13 weekly checks = 13/17 x 11,976,000 = $9.16 mil

After each succeeding week the cost goes down $704,000.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love AJ, but unless the Bengals or somehow in a trade take a ton of that cost of him WE NEED TO NOT EVEN CONSIDER....would be a worse business move than the smart move of letting Daniels go.

His base salary for 2019 is just under 12 million. Let's call it 12 m. That means if aquired prior to week 5 he would count 9 million against the 2019 cap. It's really not that big of a hit. Also a trade wouldn't happen any earlier than after week 6 because green won't be healthy til then at the earliest. Meaning he'd count 7.5 million to his new team at that point. I guess though this is all moot til he's healthy

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Out of that number, the Bengals are on the hook for:
  • $3 mil is signing bonus prorated to 2019
  • $200,000 2019 workout bonus
  • 4 base salary weekly checks to date = 4/17 x 11,976,000 = $2.82 mil
A trade for this player at this moment would be the cost of 13 weekly checks = 13/17 x 11,976,000 = $9.16 mil

After each succeeding week the cost goes down $704,000.

He's also a free agent after this season so there is no future cap hit and there wouldn't be anyways because as player aquired in trade he could be cut at anytime with no dead money

H

HardRightEdge

Keep in mind that the total cap cost for the 40 players currently under contract for 2020 plus dead cap = about $183 mil. This does not include Bulaga, Martinez and any other player who will be a free agent after this season. That number accounts for Clark @ the 5th. year option number of $7.7 mil.

That cap liability be will be reduced by $8 mil with the cap savings gained in releasing Graham.

H

HardRightEdge

He's also a free agent after this season so there is no future cap hit and there wouldn't be anyways because as player aquired in trade he could be cut at anytime with no dead money.
That's not true as a general statement. If there are any salary guarantees in a subsequent year or years the aquiring team is on the hook for that.

H

HardRightEdge

But his guaranteed money can’t be that substantial. Not enough to not give him a look.
I said "as a general rule". The guy I replied to said Green is a free agent after this season so I didn' think it needed repeating.

Since Green is a vested veteran, his salary for 2019 became fully guaranteed as of Week 1. So, he'd be owed the $9.2 mil in a trade, as noted above, for the balance of the 2019 season as of this date. That money is fully guaranteed. The salary cost keeps going down each week from here as Cincy doles out his weekly checks.

The trading deadline follows Week 8. He tore ligaments in his ankle in not expected back for at least a couple more weeks.

You have to look at from Cincy's side. Teams don't give up much for aging rent-a-players with injuries two years running who are in their contract years. Cincy just might want to keep him in lieu of minimal compensation in the hopes of winning some games and keeping folks coming to the ballpark.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

If green is still green he's worth a 4th round pick. That int at the end of the game was on him, he's gotta go get that ball he had the inside that should of been a TD. Whether he dropped it or he let the DB beat him to a ball he had better position on. The fault lies with him not Rodgers.

If Green would still be in his prime teams would have to give up way more than a fourth rounder to acquire him. That's obviously not the case anymore though.

On the interception Rodgers should have waited another second to throw the ball, Shepherd would have been wide open in the end zone.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Green would still be in his prime teams would have to give up way more than a fourth rounder to acquire him. That's obviously not the case anymore though.

On the interception Rodgers should have waited another second to throw the ball, Shepherd would have been wide open in the end zone.
I saw him coming open, but I was way at the other end of the field so when I yelled to Rodgers I don't think he heard me. But that's as wide open as you could be and it wasn't because Rodgers was throwing to MVS, all the defenders commited to him already. Shepherd would have stood there and caught the ball.

H

HardRightEdge

I saw him coming open, but I was way at the other end of the field so when I yelled to Rodgers I don't think he heard me. But that's as wide open as you could be and it wasn't because Rodgers was throwing to MVS, all the defenders commited to him already. Shepherd would have stood there and caught the ball.
You guys are seeing something that is not there.

I'm looking at this play right now is super slo-mo with freeze frames. It's a called quick-timing pick play. When I freeze it at the point where Rodgers' arm is starting forward Shepherd is still rubbing the inside defender. #38, the outside defender, is squared up to Shepard's path.

If you didn't already know what happened next, from that freeze frame you would say the inside defender is in position to take MVS with the rub looking like the play will work while #38, the outside defender, is in position to take Shepherd to the outside. With the ball then in the air, Shepard is still engaged with the inside defender.

#38 made a nice read and cut inside to take MVS. It was a good play design and well executed, because even with that good defensive read by #38 he was still trailing, then mis-timed his defense of the throw initially contacting MVS with the ball still 3 yards from reaching MVS. By the time the ball gets to MVS he's already wrapped up.

There are two possible complaints that can be made:

1) It was pass interference. On another day with a different ref in position to make the call, you might get the call. In real time it was bang-bang, and refs are not inclined to make game-altering decisions is the closing seconds, which is how we got this PI review rule in the first place which doesn't seem to be working very well.

2) You could complain that it was not a good play call, though I would not agree.

If you want Shepherd to see the ball on this play, you should send a memo to LaFluer, cc: Aaron Rodgers saying:

1) Guess both defenders will go to MVS.

2) Rodgers should have eyes inside and give a little pump fake there, then throw to the wide open Shepherd.

That, of course, requires the guess being right.

I had been listening to a lot of b*tching that the McCarthy/Rodgers' the lack of commitment to timing throws out of combination routes, Rodgers breaking with the program to extend plays, and that the LaFleur offense will fix this if only Rodgers will get with the program. Well, here you have it, and we're still b*tching?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are seeing something that is not there.

I'm looking at this play is super slo-mo. It's a called quick-timing pick play. When I freeze it at the point where Rodgers' arm is starting forward Shepherd is still rubbing the inside defender. #38, the outside defender, is squared up to Shepard's path.

If you didn't already know what happened next, from that freeze frame you would say the inside defender is in position to take MVS with the rub looking like it will work while #38, the outside defender, is in position to take Shepherd to the outside. With the ball then in the air, Shepard is still engaged with the inside defender.

#38 made a nice read and cut inside to take MVS. It was a good play design and well executed, because even with that good defensive read by #38 he was still trailing and mis-timed his defense of the throw initially contacting MVS with the ball still 3 yards from reaching MVS. By the time the ball gets to MVS he's already wrapped up.

There are two possible complaints that can be made:

1) It was pass interference. On another day with a different ref in position to make the call, you might get the call. In real time it was bang-bang, and refs are not inclined to make game-altering decisions is the closing seconds.

2) You could complain that it was not a good play call, though I would not agree.

If you want Shepherd to see the ball on this play, you should send a memo to LaFluer, cc: Aaron Rodgers saying:

1) Guess both defenders will go to MVS.

2) Rodgers should have eyes inside a give a little pump fake there, then throw to the wide open Shepherd.

That, of course, requires the guess being right.

I've listening to a lot of b*tching that the McCarthy/Rodgers' the lack of commitment to timing throws out of combination routes and that LaFleur offense will fix this if only Rodgers will get with the program. Well, here you have it.
I didn't see it in super slow mo, I saw it from over 100 yards away LOL.

one could say it was exactly like that play from a year or 2 ago with Cobb. I think it was the same situation, couldn't score from inside the 5, everyone *****ing about play calls. Cobb came wide open, and on that one, Rodgers had not thrown it and he didn't see him.

H

HardRightEdge

I didn't see it in super slow mo, I saw it from over 100 yards away LOL.
That's not my problem. :whistling: When you were yelling at Rodgers the ball was already in the air.

The takeaway should be, at the least, when you have an evident timing throw call, don't expect the ball to go to somebody else who just happens to spring open. If the receiver happens to slip and fall or gets knocked down at the line, then expect the extended play and then the complaints will ensue about that. ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not my problem. :whistling: When you were yelling at Rodgers the ball was already in the air.

The takeaway should be, at the least, when you have an evident timing throw call, don't expect the ball to go to somebody else who just happens to spring open. If the receiver happens to slip and fall or gets knocked down at the line, then expect the extended play and then the complaints will ensue about that. ;)
I bet the quick pass isn't the only option on that formation or play.

H

HardRightEdge

I bet the quick pass isn't the only option on that formation or play.
Yeah, it was. Unless Rodgers didn't like the look, for instance a third defender standing in the target path, in which case you'd be looking for an audible, another chronic source of complaints.

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, it was. Unless Rodgers didn't like the look, for instance a third defender standing in the target path, in which case you'd be looking for an audible, another chronic source of complaints.
I had the opportunity to watch Buffalo blow up Brady's timing throws all day resulting in a bunch of throwaways. He had one grounding call and and could have easily been called for two more. Sometimes sh*t happens.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure it is, LOL

No QB in the league has ever thrown to a receiver running to the back corner of the endzone off that formation LOL