AJ Green

H

HardRightEdge

Sure it is, LOL

No QB in the league has ever thrown to a receiver running to the back corner of the endzone off that formation LOL
Then tell LaFluer to call that timing play because in this one Shepherd's job was to pick MVS open. As already noted, Shepherd was not free until until the ball was in the air.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He probably already knows, and Shepherd was going to be open on that play period. I don't care that Rodgers threw it to MVS. He had inside position and it should easily have been one of those where he just catches a at the goalline and there is no defense. Except the defender wrapped him up a yard before the ball got there and got away with it.

it was a fine play, but it's not the only play. had Rodgers noticed something presnap that he didn't think MVS would get that position, I'm sure he could easily look at that play and then pop it to the back corner and watch the receiver make a play on it. I doubt MVS is the only option on that play and those defenders all collapsed on him. Shepherd was going to be open. I don't blame him for not holding it because MVS had position too and those are exactly the types of plays we need to see him make to take that next step, the contested tough catch in a big moment. Gotta find a way to keep those hands up to get the ball as tough as it may be.

And what's wrong with being frustrated seeing a guy pop open to potentially tie the score but instead ended an INT off a deflected ball?

Reaction score
I’m impressed that Rodgers tried to squeeze one in there. One concern I’ve had recently is that he may be too reluctant to throw in 50/50 cases and he needs to trust the receiver. He threw a perfect ball but as noted, the arm was being pinned and it resulted in the deflection. .25 sec earlier and this is a TD.. .25 sec later and it’s a PI foul.

I commend Aaron for zipping that ball in there. That’s a TD 3 of 5 times.

D

Deleted member 6794

I had been listening to a lot of b*tching that the McCarthy/Rodgers' the lack of commitment to timing throws out of combination routes, Rodgers breaking with the program to extend plays, and that the LaFleur offense will fix this if only Rodgers will get with the program. Well, here you have it, and we're still b*tching?

I'm not *****ing about the call at all, just pointing out that Shepherd would have been wide open in the end zone if Rodgers waited another second to throw the ball.

There's no way LaFleur or #12 could have known that before the ball was snapped though.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not *****ing about the call at all, just pointing out that Shepherd would have been wide open in the end zone if Rodgers waited another second to throw the ball.
That would be a different play call, as already amply illustrated, or Rodgers ad libbing if the called timing throw to MVS wasn't there, also previously illustrated. The throw was there, it's just MVS got whacked before the ball arrived.

We heard a lot of carping last year and times before about Rodgers not throwing to the open receiver. I'd stick to those instances where the receiver breaks open before the QB has already commited to another throw. Otherwise, every QB is missing a whole lot of open receivers.

D

Deleted member 6794

That would be a different play call, as already amply illustrated, or Rodgers ad libbing if the called timing throw to MVS wasn't there, also previously illustrated. The throw was there, it's just MVS got whacked before the ball arrived.

If Rodgers would have seen that the play developed into Shepherd being wide open in the end zone he could have definitely held on to the ball long enough to throw it to him. He didn't realize it fast enough though.

H

HardRightEdge

If Rodgers would have seen that the play developed into Shepherd being wide open in the end zone he could have definitely held on to the ball long enough to throw it to him. He didn't realize it fast enough though.
I already broke this play down for you. The play did not develop into Shepard being wide open until Rodgers arm was already moving forward on the throw. Shepard was still engaged with the inside DB while the outside DB was squared up to him. In fact, Shepard did not break open until the ball was already in the air. You can look at it yourself on Game Pass replay using super slo-mo and stop action as I have done. If you do not have that subscription then I cannot help you any further.

D

Deleted member 6794

I already broke this play down for you. The play did not develop into Shepard being wide open until Rodgers arm was already moving forward on the throw. Shepard was still engaged with the inside DB while the outside DB was squared up to him. In fact, Shepard did not break open until the ball was already in the air. You can look at it yourself on Game Pass replay using super slo-mo and stop action as I have done. If you do not have that subscription then I cannot help you any further.

It's true Shepherd wasn't open at the time Rodgers threw the ball, I'm not arguing that. If Rodgers had waited a second longer targeting the rookie would have resulted in an easy touchdown though.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts