Adams Traded to Las Vegas

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Serious?? Back away from the keyboard..slowly

Here's the thing with this move...you only do it if you know Alexander doesn't have GB in his future plans. That's the only reason and if that is known (only he, his agent and select few in the discussions would know) you would be an ignorant fool not to do such a move. Alexander is in his prime and one of the best in the current NFL for his position...like Adams you cannot just let such a guy walk and get only a 3rd rounder compensatory pick for him - that would be a terrible move for the team.

Personally, if Alexander isn't extended prior to the draft - I have very little doubt that this is the case and a deal will be worked out to keep him in GB - if Gute knows he is not in the future, this is the best year to do such a move and get what you can now.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
More fallout:

The Chiefs' contract talks with Tyreek Hill have broken down since Adams signed his deal with the Raiders. I presume that it's because his asking price went up once he saw that absurd deal. So he's being traded to Miami.

Side note-- the Chiefs stood by Hill while he was a serial abuser of women and children. Wouldn't you think that would warrant some sort of loyalty?

I guess when you invest in garbage people, you get garbage results. I love to see it.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering why MVS hasn't signed anywhere, yet... this is why. He'll end up in KC with a contract well beyond what GB can/will offer him. :(

D

Deleted member 6794

there won't any #17 for #12 to totally focus on when all the other receivers are WIDE open,,,,,first down!

Most years these days have a supposedly good/great WR draft class. They're a dime a dozen supposedly. Lets get a talented D-Lineman, Safety or Edge early. Get the receivers in the 2nd, 4th and 7th round. Heck, if we re-sign Scantling, Rodgers won't throw the ball to any rookie more than twice a game anyway. It's not like we should suddenly expect Rodgers to adapt or change his MO. The guy is one of the most stubborn and slow to adapt his game to changing circumstances that I've ever seen.

I swear some of you act as if the Packers have one of the worst quarterbacks in the league and not the MVP of the last two seasons.

Not to heap more anger on the back of #12, but I can't help blame him for some of this. I know that people are and already have pointed the finger at this being Gute's fault, for not being a better negotiator with Adams along the way. Put yourself in the Packers place. You have a lame duck QB that is the centerpiece of a team wavering on wanting to be there next year. Add to that your cap woes. Are the Packers really going to sign Davante up for a huge contract BEFORE Rodgers gives them his decision? I would say no. Had Rodgers wanted out of GB, I think Adams is gone too and Gute knew it. So this forever wait for Rodgers to make up his mind, may have had yet another trickle down effect.

It's truly mind-boggling that there are so many Packers fans going out of their way to criticize Rodgers for something he most likely didn't have any effect on.

If you have to stop watching the media to avoid a man’s character flaws, it doesn’t make them go away…

It might be smart to not believe everything that is said by the media.

Problem is OL, can anyone really count on Bahktiari this year to be what he was, to stay healthy? Who will the starting OL be that can keep AR upright and make lanes for runners? DB's are currently relatively unknown with some guys still UFA or RF or being told they are not wanted. DL needs an upgrade, what about LB. Look around at guys who are signed and currently you see a team that seems impossible to be a top tier NFL team and 12-1 for SB.

I agree the Packers need to add quality depth on the offensive and defensive lines and at linebacker but the secondary seems to be one of the best units in the league.

I think there is some credible concern here, not enough to freak out yet, but concern. Factors which may be why Jaire extension hasn't happened yet:

- His injury.
- Weighing future costs of Rashan and others.
- Testing to see just what Rasul is before making a decision...

I 100% do not want to see Jaire leave, but part of me wonders if Rasul starts the year unfire, after an excellent camp....does GB spend future money elsewhere rather than locking up a ton of money on Jaire into the future? Top END CB money is not a cheap thing to do....is this a surprise money saving move which Gute wants to wait on to see if they think a future without Jaire is possible or not before extension?

While I do not think they will do this, but imagine the media firestorm if the Packers sign Douglas and traded Jaire for a few decent picks. The amount of money you clear, more than pays for Douglas, you still have 2 very good CB's, and plenty of money/picks to get your third.

Sure, it has been forever since the Packers had this kind of talent at CB, but they played pretty well while Jaire was injured, who says they won't be even better this season without him?

What is it with some of you advocating for the Packers to move on from young blue chip players to avoid signing them to market value deals??? I understand it's impossible to retain everyone but Alexander should be a no-brainer to re-sign.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly my take on the Davante thing is "win win"

Green Bay gets:
Draft capital
Cap relief
No more over reliance on a superstar WR(I've addressed in other posts why wr don't need this due MLFs scheme)

Davante gets:
Took care of himself and got PAID
Lifelong dream fulfilled
Closer to family

I can't really blame Davante, it's his life and he made the best choice for himself, also respect for what he did and his progression since Year 2. I'm sure Gute wanted to help Davante out and helped to fulfill his wish.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What is it with some of you advocating for the Packers to move on from young blue chip players to avoid signing them to market value deals??? I understand it's impossible to retain everyone but Alexander should be a no-brainer to re-sign.
I think some of us are just looking at the big picture and the salary cap and asking questions out loud. It isn't that we WANT Jaire to be traded, but it becomes a question of "Will his contract be one that the Packers can afford and keep the rest of the team competitive?" Throw in his shoulder injury and you have some food for thought. Also, add to that that we have Stokes and Douglas for the next 3 years. I don't think anyone here has said "OMG...They HAVE TO trade Jaire, he is a blue chipper that we just can't keep!" However, its a fair question and discussion. We obviously now know your opinion on it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Who in the world is advocating? I don't believe I've seen a single soul advocating, to publicly recommend or support, getting rid of Jaire blindly and without a reasoning? You poo poo'd on me saying if things are not repairable between Adams and GB we needed to wash our hands quickly and avoid drama/mess with the situation.

Jaire is not the exact same scenario as it is his first contract discussion not second, but the idea is still the same in that it would be illogical for Gute and GB to operate with the mindset of let him play out the final year of his contract knowing there is zero or near zero chance of him desiring to resign here into the future and just get a 3rd back. This is not knowledge any of us on this forum know, or are close enough to - and are purely thinking out loud in the sense of Jaire.

Personally I'm shocked an extension hasn't been done yet - as it is a no brainer for the organization to keep Jaire in GB as long as you can come to an agreement on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Who in the world is advocating? I don't believe I've seen a single soul advocating, to publicly recommend or support, getting rid of Jaire blindly and without a reasoning? You poo poo'd on me saying if things are not repairable between Adams and GB we needed to wash our hands quickly and avoid drama/mess with the situation.

Jaire is not the exact same scenario as it is his first contract discussion not second, but the idea is still the same in that it would be illogical for Gute and GB to operate with the mindset of let him play out the final year of his contract knowing there is zero or near zero chance of him desiring to resign here into the future and just get a 3rd back. This is not knowledge any of us on this forum know, or are close enough to - and are purely thinking out loud in the sense of Jaire.

Personally I'm shocked an extension hasn't been done yet - as it is a no brainer for the organization to keep Jaire in GB as long as you can come to an agreement on.
As we saw with both Rodgers and Adams, there are lots of factors that we may not be fully aware of when it comes to negotiations and desires. Maybe Jaire wants out of GB too? Maybe Jaire's side is now asking for him to be the highest paid CB and more money than the Packers want to guarantee him. We can't assume that the Packers can just sign anyone that they want, at any price, there are breaking point where things don't work. The fact that Stokes and Douglas might soften the blow of losing JA, as well as the draft picks and money you would save, is all part of the general conversation.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As we saw with both Rodgers and Adams, there are lots of factors that we may not be fully aware of when it comes to negotiations and desires. Maybe Jaire wants out of GB too? Maybe Jaire's side is now asking for him to be the highest paid CB and more money than the Packers want to guarantee him. We can't assume that the Packers can just sign anyone that they want, at any price, there is breaking point where things don't work. The fact that Stokes and Douglas might soften the blow of losing JA, as well as the draft picks and money you would save, is all part of the general conversation.

I have ZERO reasons to read Jaire is not happy here, but if he is I'm instantly using him to get a WR1 potentially OR a VERY high draft pick - without hesitation, but ONLY IF HE HAS LOOKED ME IN THE EYE AND SAID I WANT OUT or Russ Ball and Gute have said this is our absolute max and it was rejected.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think some of us are just looking at the big picture and the salary cap and asking questions out loud. It isn't that we WANT Jaire to be traded, but it becomes a question of "Will his contract be one that the Packers can afford and keep the rest of the team competitive?" Throw in his shoulder injury and you have some food for thought. Also, add to that that we have Stokes and Douglas for the next 3 years. I don't think anyone here has said "OMG...They HAVE TO trade Jaire, he is a blue chipper that we just can't keep!" However, its a fair question and discussion. We obviously now know your opinion on it.
There is a very valid scenario that we only have Douglas for 2 more years. Like tyni said if Jaire is healthy and hasn't priced himself out or wants out of GB I can't imagine them not extending him.
As far as the shoulder, if it didn't heal as well as they hoped wouldn't have made sense to have surgery immediately after the playoff loss?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As far as the shoulder, if it didn't heal as well as they hoped wouldn't have made sense to have surgery immediately after the playoff loss?
A medical question for the docs. King injured his shoulder when he was in college, an injury that seems to have effected him ever since.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I swear some of you act as if the Packers have one of the worst quarterbacks in the league and not the MVP of the last two seasons.

It's truly mind-boggling that there are so many Packers fans going out of their way to criticize Rodgers for something he most likely didn't have any effect on.

It might be smart to not believe everything that is said by the media.

I agree the Packers need to add quality depth on the offensive and defensive lines and at linebacker but the secondary seems to be one of the best units in the league.

Quit building strawmen!!!

I never said he was one of the worst QB's in the league! I said he was one of the most stubborn and slow to adapt I've ever seen. Can't you read?!?!

You just appear to want to refute and ridicule every opportunity you get! You're completely hopeless WIMM!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How does Rodgers wavering on staying, retiring or forcing a trade not effect negotiations with Davante? Most Packer fans, as well as the media understood that Rodgers decision was the one that would decide what direction the Packers would go with the rest of their players. I really doubt that the Packers and probably Davante himself, were in that big of a hurry to get a deal done if Rodgers wasn't playing in Green Bay in 2022.

As far as if that is criticizing Rodgers or not, one could make an argument that it was the front office's fault for allowing Rodgers to put them in that situation in the first place.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm sure Gute wanted to help Davante out and helped to fulfill his wish.

Gutekunst should only care about what's in the best interest for the Packers.

I think some of us are just looking at the big picture and the salary cap and asking questions out loud. It isn't that we WANT Jaire to be traded, but it becomes a question of "Will his contract be one that the Packers can afford and keep the rest of the team competitive?"

The Packers should definitely be able to afford to pay for a young, elite cornerback. There are other moves to be made to create cap space when needed.

How does Rodgers wavering on staying, retiring or forcing a trade not effect negotiations with Davante? Most Packer fans, as well as the media understood that Rodgers decision was the one that would decide what direction the Packers would go with the rest of their players. I really doubt that the Packers and probably Davante himself, were in that big of a hurry to get a deal done if Rodgers wasn't playing in Green Bay in 2022.

According to Tom Silverstein Adams told the Packers shortly after their season ended that he wanted out of Green Bay. It seems like Rodgers decision had zero effect on it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
According to Tom Silverstein Adams told the Packers shortly after their season ended that he wanted out of Green Bay. It seems like Rodgers decision had zero effect on it.
Again, I don't think that you are not taking in the big picture. What was Rodgers doing and saying last Spring/Summer? You don't think Rodgers waffling on being a Packer, as well airing all his grievances with the Front office, had any effect on what other players thought or did? All of that happened well BEFORE Adams apparently made up his mind to move on. I don't blame him for not wanting to look like his decision was going to be based on Rodgers decision and I really don't blame him for wanting out of GB given its best player was uncertain of whether he wanted to be there either.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If it was announced to the public that the Packers and Chiefs had made identical trades with the Raiders and Dolphins without announcing the particulars, wouldn’t everyone and their dog assume that GB and KC had done something smart and LV and MIA had done something dumb?

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it sure seems that way to me as well. first ballot hall-of-fame qb playing at mvp level for two straight years. makes no sense to bash this guy every chance you get.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Teams don’t improve by getting rid of great players in exchange due being able to overpay good players in free agency or get a chance at the draft lottery. On offense the QB is the guy that matters most, if you have a great one i can understand not needing the best WR or an elite oline. Defense doesn’t work like that; no player impacts every position on defense like the QB does. You need to keep elite defenders.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Teams don’t improve by getting rid of great players in exchange due being able to overpay good players in free agency or get a chance at the draft lottery. On offense the QB is the guy that matters most, if you have a great one i can understand not needing the best WR or an elite oline. Defense doesn’t work like that; no player impacts every position on defense like the QB does. You need to keep elite defenders.
I read your comment a few times and I really don't understand what you are trying to say. Seems like you are trying to make a point (have to pay great/elite players), but are making exceptions to your point, as you go (WR, OL don't count). How does the QB impact the defense?

Does paying top 5 money at any position, automatically assure you of a top 5 player? Can you afford to pay top 5 money at every position? What happens to those positions and your depth when most of your money is tied up in 5-8 key players? I can find many instances where teams paid guys top 5 money and didn't get top 5 performance.

The Packers are currently very top heavy in contracts, with a small handful of players, getting a lions share of the available money. What is your plan for Gary and Jenkins next year? Make them both top 5 paid too?

I get it, JA is a very good CB and it would be awesome to keep him. However, the Packers have to look at what they have at CB (Stokes and Douglas) and the opportunity costs if investing a lot in JA. If they think they can keep JA and not have a problem down the road with the amount of money he accounts for, then resign him.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read your comment a few times and I really don't understand what you are trying to say. Seems like you are trying to make a point (have to pay great/elite players), but are making exceptions to your point, as you go (WR, OL don't count). How does the QB impact the defense?

Does paying top 5 money at any position, automatically assure you of a top 5 player? Can you afford to pay top 5 money at every position? What happens to those positions and your depth when most of your money is tied up in 5-8 key players? I can find many instances where teams paid guys top 5 money and didn't get top 5 performance.

The Packers are currently very top heavy in contracts, with a small handful of players, getting a lions share of the available money. What is your plan for Gary and Jenkins next year? Make them both top 5 paid too?

I get it, JA is a very good CB and it would be awesome to keep him. However, the Packers have to look at what they have at CB (Stokes and Douglas) and the opportunity costs if investing a lot in JA. If they think they can keep JA and not have a problem down the road with the amount of money he accounts for, then resign him.

I probably should have included more reference to what I was responding to. I was speaking as to whether the team should pay top-dollar to Jaire or not. On offense, when a team has an elite QB, I can understand the reasoning of not necessarily wanting to spend top-of-market dollars for other positions on offense; the QB will make good players on offense into great players. That doesn't happen on defense; there's nobody out there to make a good corner into an great corner, you just need to make sure you keep the great corner.

Members online

Latest posts