Adams Traded to Las Vegas

PackerRyche

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amari was a guy that had plays designed to get the ball in his hands, he has the raw skillset and burst to get open with routes and breaks but he never had to refine that part of his game yet. Even those of us that were fans of him still realistically didn't think a 2021 season would see him put up more than deep support numbers like 300 yards and a TD or two...he didn't even hit that but not shockingly. The most concerning part of Amari was just how uncomfortable he seemed on the big stage. LATE in the season and in the playoffs he seemed vastly more comfortable and we finally saw glimpses of his skillset. I think some folks could be eating a touch of crow (not you) on Amari judgement.
He did not impress in the punt return role. He clearly has raw athletic skills and a quick burst of speed, but could never read his blocking. From memory, I think there were many opportunities for bigger returns that he squandered by incorrect blocking reads or simple indecision. He didn't get many chances in a receiving role, but did have that one decent game. Hoping he can be that slot guy for us next year along with Cobb.

Reaction score
Westbrook has hardly played football in the last 2 years. Harris had a second round tag on him with the Saints and they signed him for almost $4M on a 1 year deal.
I did not know that, I hope we don't go after Westbrook. We do still need to get someone who can return punts and kickoffs.

We also need to at a minimum either resign MVS and get a WR through either free agency or the draft that is a deep threat, or sign two deep-threat WRs.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of all the FA options still available rn, I like Landry the best. Then Id aggressively attack the WR position by taking 2 of them with our first 5 picks.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There is 100% a downside to losing an elite wide receiver.

But you also 100% do that deal. A 1st and a 2nd for a tagged 29 year old receiver who is demanding 14% of the cap? Absolutely.

The off-season isn’t over. The roster isn’t static.

They have some space to sign a receiver.

They have some picks to trade for a receiver

They have some picks to select a receiver.

They surely did not mortgage their future to roll out Randall Cobb and Amari Rodgers.

Exactly. It was the smart move. Getting something for someone that could have held out, which sounded he might have.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'll miss Adams, but I'll be most interested into what Gutekunst can do with the extra first and second round picks.

Not to mention a little more cap space.
Exactly.

Imagine had Gute decided to press the Tag and just wait Adams out. August rolls around and Adams is still holding out. Not only months of more drama, as well as "what ifs and whys", but $20+M locked up that they can't spend. Also, going into a draft, not knowing if your FHOF WR is going to play.

Fast forward to Sept. when Adams is still sitting at home, now what? How much do you think Gute is going to get for a disgruntled WR? Finally settling on a deal with a team for a future pick(s), that could be anywhere from 1st to last in a round. Finishing the season with a team that is without a #1 WR, because it was thought he would cave and play.

Gute made the right move, get the drama over with before camp, address the new need in Free agency and the draft with the extra picks. Use the new found cap money on players that improve the entire team.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly.

Imagine had Gute decided to press the Tag and just wait Adams out. August rolls around and Adams is still holding out. Not only months of more drama, as well as "what ifs and whys", but $20+M locked up that they can't spend. Also, going into a draft, not knowing if your FHOF WR is going to play.

Fast forward to Sept. when Adams is still sitting at home, now what? How much do you think Gute is going to get for a disgruntled WR? Finally settling on a deal with a team for a future pick(s), that could be anywhere from 1st to last in a round. Finishing the season with a team that is without a #1 WR, because it was thought he would cave and play.

Gute made the right move, get the drama over with before camp, address the new need in Free agency and the draft with the extra picks. Use the new found cap money on players that improve the entire team.

100% agree, this team is better avoiding drama PLUS not having Adams than now without Adams and zero drama.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
100% agree, this team is better avoiding drama PLUS not having Adams than now without Adams and zero drama.
I'll probably have to eat my words, but even had Adams wanted to stay in GB, I'm not so sure paying him what the Raiders did (plus the reported "more") would have been a good thing for the Packers. The team is top heavy enough with some of their star players getting the Lions share and I think before the season starts, the Packers might be adding Alexander to that group. I also see Rashan Gary being added soon as well. The price you pay for success.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll probably have to eat my words, but even had Adams wanted to stay in GB, I'm not so sure paying him what the Raiders did (plus the reported "more") would have been a good thing for the Packers. The team is top heavy enough with some of their star players getting the Lions share and I think before the season starts, the Packers might be adding Alexander to that group. I also see Rashan Gary being added soon as well. The price you pay for success.
I agree… however unless they are waiting to see how the shoulder responds …. I’m beginning to get a little uneasy about the fact that Alexander hasn’t been extended already.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree… however unless they are waiting to see how the shoulder responds …. I’m beginning to get a little uneasy about the fact that Alexander hasn’t been extended already.
If they are waiting on his shoulder, I am very glad that they haven't extended him yet, to be honest. He is playing on a straight up guaranteed $13.294 M contract. A new contract is probably going to get him in the $20+ M/year range. Again, that is a lot of money to pay yet another guy. Is he worth it? Probably, but that shoulder better not be a King shoulder. Unless the Packers need the cap space, I am just fine holding off on his extension.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think there is some credible concern here, not enough to freak out yet, but concern. Factors which may be why Jaire extension hasn't happened yet:

- His injury.
- Weighing future costs of Rashan and others.
- Testing to see just what Rasul is before making a decision...

I 100% do not want to see Jaire leave, but part of me wonders if Rasul starts the year unfire, after an excellent camp....does GB spend future money elsewhere rather than locking up a ton of money on Jaire into the future? Top END CB money is not a cheap thing to do....is this a surprise money saving move which Gute wants to wait on to see if they think a future without Jaire is possible or not before extension?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think there is some credible concern here, not enough to freak out yet, but concern. Factors which may be why Jaire extension hasn't happened yet:

- His injury.

I 100% do not want to see Jaire leave, but part of me wonders if Rasul starts the year unfire, after an excellent camp....does GB spend future money elsewhere rather than locking up a ton of money on Jaire into the future? Top END CB money is not a cheap thing to do....is this a surprise money saving move which Gute wants to wait on to see if they think a future without Jaire is possible or not before extension?
While I do not think they will do this, but imagine the media firestorm if the Packers sign Douglas and traded Jaire for a few decent picks. The amount of money you clear, more than pays for Douglas, you still have 2 very good CB's, and plenty of money/picks to get your third.

Sure, it has been forever since the Packers had this kind of talent at CB, but they played pretty well while Jaire was injured, who says they won't be even better this season without him?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I do not think they will do this, but imagine the media firestorm if the Packers sign Douglas and traded Jaire for a few decent picks. The amount of money you clear, more than pays for Douglas, you still have 2 very good CB's, and plenty of money/picks to get your third.

Sure, it has been forever since the Packers had this kind of talent at CB, but they played pretty well while Jaire was injured, who says they won't be even better this season without him?

Rather than picks imagine if he is the piece that brings in our WR in "FA"

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

- His injury.

IF Alexander's shoulder is still an issue he needs to go get surgery, ASAP. Surgery was a guaranteed 3-4 month rehab, no surgery GB was hoping to have him back for playoffs. IF it's still not OK 5+ months out he needs to quit dikking-around.

Rashan Gary is still under team control for 2 more years as they'll use the 5th year option on him (costing around $11Mil, much less than his next contract will average).

If Gute is even considering letting Alexander walk after '22 then we'll see a CB drafted in the top 2 rounds but IMHO those 4 picks are better spent on: DL, WR, Edge, OL, and/or TE.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rather than picks imagine if he is the piece that brings in our WR in "FA"
Interesting... Alexander for DK Metcalf? If Gute wants to extend someone & pay $20Mil/yr. why not Metcalf instead? I guess I could get on board but this would guaranty a top-4 pick CB in the draft. Gute seems to be adept at finding high-quality CB's, still mostly unknown on his eye for WR's (#1's, especially).

Last edited:

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting... Alexander for DK Metcalf? If Gute wants to extend someone & pay $20Mil/yr. why not Metcalf instead? I guess I could get on board but this would guaranty a top-4 pick CB in the draft. Gute seems to be adept at finding high-quality CB's, still mostly unknown on his eye for WR's (#1's, especially).
after 5+ years we finally have an awesome CB trio in Alexander, Douglas and Stokes. Therefore I have to say that I would be very hesitant to trade Jaire.

My gut tells me its easier to find quality WR's in the draft and FA, but what do I know

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Personally, I would rather get some high picks. I do like DK, but I don't like what his salary will probably be. Gute has had pretty good luck filling the secondary with draft picks and free agents (Alexander, Stokes, Savage, Douglas). Time to produce with cheaper players and shed, not add to the top heavy cap structure they currently are stuck with.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Would we be surprised if Gute doesn't draft a wr.:eek:
Even if he signed Julio Jones, Landry and AJ Green, I think he would be drafting at least 1 if not 2 WR's. Maybe just not as early.

I also think if Davante had stuck around, the Packers would still be using a 1st or 2nd on a WR.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When Cobb played he made some important catches. I'm kind of sick of the Rodgers bashing. He's my quarterback man.
I'm kind of tired of the Cobb bashing too. He lead the Packers in an over looked stat "Yards per target". He was at 9.6, the closest to him was Davante at 9.2 yds/tgt.

Of course, its just easier for some to ignore facts and say "Gute sucks, Packers would be SB champions if it wasn't for him and Rodgers."

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Serious?? Back away from the keyboard..slowly

Members online

Latest posts