Aaron Rodgers secret

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, Bart sat on the bench on a team that won 1 game the year before Lombardi took over. Lombardi never had a losing record with essentially the same team, but with Bart at QB. I think Starr had a lot to do with the winning.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
...Rodgers HAS TO TOTALLY CARRY this team
I'm not sure but aren't you the one who argued with 49ers fans (or was it Seahawks fans?) how the Packers' roster would be just as good except for injuries?

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hold on, Paul. I love Rogers, but he's got a ways to go to beat Starr, currently the greatest QB of all time, Packers or otherwise.

very difficult to compare eras, but Rodgers is clearly a better qb than starr, but you can't argue with bart's championships. and joe Montana is the greatest qb of all time.

P

Paul Glotz

Nice article. We are fortunate to be Packer fans. We have possibly another decade of AR with the chance to go the distance every year he's healthy. I believe Aaron will go down as ab NFL icon, particularly if he wins another SB. Then the argument of. "Who is the best QB" will fade away once and for all...[/QUOTE
very difficult to compare eras, but Rodgers is clearly a better qb than starr, but you can't argue with bart's championships. and joe Montana is the greatest qb of all time.

P

Paul Glotz

I agree 100%. Many other names come into the argument. But none hold the weight of Joe. I remember reading an article about him in 1986 he was on the cover of sports illustrated? My memories not so good there says, forgive me. He dominated Marino that year after the famous Pepsi commercial. Marino was the Manning of that time. But by halftime that SB was over

Is argue

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. You might want to read this, written in 2008, and still relevant today imo: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/the-definitive-list-top-10-nfl-quarterbacks/6376/

He averaged 175 yards per game passing per postseason game. Mentioning passing rating while ignoring the fact he barely threw the ball and it was a run first offense is rather silly. I dare say a lot of qbs would have a 100 career passing rating throwing it 20 times a game.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StarBa00/gamelog//

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I like Montana, he was awesome, but he was not even close to what star was. The era that the two played in hard to compare. Star literally had the era of defenders rippin peoples heads off, montana did not. Nor was there a pass happy west coast offense back then. It is almost an apples to oranges comparison because of the era difference. But FACT of the matter is, it comes down to OPINION....... and the gereral opinion in sports poles is that star was better.....but you are entitled to your own.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Montana, he was awesome, but he was not even close to what star was. The era that the two played in hard to compare. Star literally had the era of defenders rippin peoples heads off, montana did not. Nor was there a pass happy west coast offense back then. It is almost an apples to oranges comparison because of the era difference. But FACT of the matter is, it comes down to OPINION....... and the gereral opinion in sports poles is that star was better.....but you are entitled to your own.

I agree it's very difficult to compare eras. and the general opinion is sports polls is that star isn't even one of the best qbs of all time and it certainly isn't that Montana wasn't better.

this guy ranked starr 11th: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...na-tom-brady-among-best-nfl-quarterbacks-ever

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Like I said man..... ALL pure opinion. If you were here long ago, we had a similar debate about the best WR of all time. we had a bunch of jerry rice loving SF fans invade the forum. Yes, rice was great, maybe the greatest ever....but....these same guys arguing in favor of rice had never even heard of don hutson...... so they didn't have a clue. Pure opinion based material.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said man..... ALL pure opinion. If you were here long ago, we had a similar debate about the best WR of all time. we had a bunch of jerry rice loving SF fans invade the forum. Yes, rice was great, maybe the greatest ever....but....these same guys arguing in favor of rice had never even heard of don hutson...... so they didn't have a clue. Pure opinion based material.

of course it's pure opinion. all I'm suggesting is the fact that starr threw for less than 200 yards in 70% of his playoff games certainly suggests it's a long shot he's the greatest qb of all time. compare that to bradshaw.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bradshaw had arguably the greatest pass and the greatest game in NFL championship game history. Sounds like you need to bulk up on your history.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Mr. Terry Bradshaw:

51% Career completion %:poop:
212 TD's and 210 INT's :poop:
27,000 career yards :poop:
Most TD's in a season 28 :poop:
Career passer rating 70 :poop:

Hardly "great" ..... he had the benefit of some of the best D of all time. :cautious:

Think YOU need a history lesson.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mr. Terry Bradshaw:

51% Career completion %:poop:
212 TD's and 210 INT's :poop:
27,000 career yards :poop:
Most TD's in a season 28 :poop:
Career passer rating 70 :poop:

Hardly "great" ..... he had the benefit of some of the best D of all time. :cautious:

Think YOU need a history lesson.

ha ha

compared to a guy with 25,000 passing yards and the most TDs in a season 16 despite playing 16 seasons? I don't think bradshaw is the greatest of all time. Simply that there is an argument that could be made. There is no argument for starr.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Any “greatest” discussion of course is just opinion but I think the linked CHFF article puts forth powerful support for Starr as the greatest QB ever.
Leadership is an elemental piece of quarterbacking – probably more important than gaudy passing stats. And that love his teammates had for their field general is an incredible sign of his leadership.
Starr was one of a very few that had the guts to stand up to Lombardi. He called the plays and was an extension of Lombardi on the field. He was a great field general.
He led the NFL in passer rating five times. Johnny Unitas led the league in passer rating just twice. Ditto Joe Montana. … And, lest we forget, Starr was the best postseason passer in NFL history, as evidenced by his record 104.8 playoff passer rating and 1.41 percent interception rate, also a postseason record (CHFF readers are well aware of the importance of not throwing picks in the playoffs). Starr played in an era when 80 was a decent passer rating. Yet he still performed more efficiently in the playoffs than folks such as Montana, Brady, Manning, Marino, Young and ... well, anybody, ever.
Comparing eras is difficult, but using stats like passer rating to compare players to their contemporaries first, and then to each other are IMO meaningful. Also, Starr’s career YPA is better than Marino’s and Montana’s, among others.
History also remembers Starr's Packers as a great running team, and that's certainly true of their earlier years. But the truth is that they typically passed the ball more effectively than they ran it, especially during their run of three straight, when they were a below-average running team.
Fans remember the early days of the Lombardi era and how they dominated teams with the power sweep, as well they should. But this article notes that for the three straight titles from 1965 through 1967, the Packers were 11th of 14 teams, 14th of 15 teams, and 4th of 16 teams in rushing. They were 2nd, 1st, and 1st in passing for those seasons.
When it comes to a combination of leadership, victories, big-game performances and statistical supremacy nobody – NOBODY – put together a more total package than Bart Starr, the greatest quarterback in NFL history.
As the article also says, Starr is the only QB with rings for the four fingers and thumb of his passing hand.

P

Paul Glotz

Pl
I respectfully disagree. I believe each QB is suited to his team. Of rather the team is built around his style. They were both great QBs. But if you reversed their roles they would've both floundered at first.
This concept was the reason we debate today about trading Favre. The draft was customized to ARs style and strengths. The momentum was both psychological and physiological and we couldn't afford to start over from scratch. Not to mention you have balance that short-term with predicting the long-term, which is where the buck stopped with Brett.

Members online

Latest posts