Aaaand...here we go with injuries again.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Any ideas? I don't mean that critically. I'm curious. If it's a guy who figures to be a roster cut, I'd think it would make more sense to wait for that to happen.

I don't follow other rosters closely enough to know who would be on the bubble/trading block with another team.

However, if such a guy exists, there are 2 reasons I would trade a 6th or 7th for him now.
  1. Get him into camp now. Let him learn the system to possibly be ready to contribute in September.
  2. There are no guarantees that the Packers would get a guy that was cut from another team. While I don't know the exact ins and outs of it, I think he would be subject to the waiver wire and that means other teams can grab him before the Packers. Even if he isn't and becomes a straight up free agent, the same problem exists.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Surprised a bit by this. Not just in the fact that he isn't thinking about it, but that he would say it publicly. Maybe just a GM's way of showing confidence in his own guys?

Was about to post this article, before I read your post. DON'T SHOOT ME CAPTAIN!

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...c-reid-could-help-solve-packers-new-problems/

Even if they were to like the idea of a trade (and I honestly don't think that will happen), it makes more sense to wait until preseason tape is out there and they have a better idea of who they'd spend some capital on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Even if they were to like the idea of a trade (and I honestly don't think that will happen), it makes more sense to wait until preseason tape is out there and they have a better idea of who they'd spend some capital on.

I can see the pluses and minuses of that.

Plus: Seeing the updated version of a guy, how does he look come Sept.? Maybe one of your current guys has stepped up and you don't actually need him in a month.

Minus: Preseason doesn't always tell you the true story. Maybe he was average with potential last year and during the preseason, he now looks like a stud, his price just went up.

The tape and the book should be out on vets as to what they have done in the past. Not sure I would risk waiting too long, chances are the price to obtain a guy that you have had your eye on will go up, not down. Maybe he comes cheap at final cut downs, but then you have wasted a month of having him in the system.

If you were the GM for say the Raiders and you needed a D-lineman and the Packers had a guy you liked and the Packers were iffy on him making it onto the 53, wouldn't you, as the Raider GM rather have that guy in camp now for a late round pick?

Reaction score
It was found out through X-rays that Brice didn’t have a break. He was on the sidelines in today’s practice without a boot, sounded like he was walking on it but favoring his other leg.
This is really promising news

Now let’s go get Reid! :roflmao:

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
It was found out through X-rays that Brice didn’t have a break. He was on the sidelines in today’s practice without a boot, sounded like he was walking on it but favoring his other leg.

I assume they tested for an ACL tear then?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

So what you are saying is....Brice can stand for the Anthem? :coffee:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Brice will miss "a chunk" of training camp, but he appears to have dodged a bullet. he was back at practice today (to observe, not participate), no crutches or walking boot, but a significant amount of swelling.

Sure could have been worse.

Ryan is still undergoing tests, but it looks like he wasn't so lucky.....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's see how camp plays out.

There is time to find a replacement.. Not saying it's ideal, not saying we won't miss Ryan. But let's see the plan b4 judging

D

Deleted member 6794

Not to even mention, you have lost the one proven capable starter/backup that is currently on the roster.

Martinez is a proven veteran by now as well.

"Started" sure, but I'm guessing only in base defense, which isn't really the base defense anymore. I don't think he was going to be on the field for sub packages.

Agreed, although Ryan played in sub packages last season as well, totaling 48% of the defensive snaps.

However, silver lining or not, the loss of Ryan at what I already considered a position thin in talent, should be compensated for by signing someone with some NFL experience.

Once again, unfortunately the Packers don't have enough cap space to sign a veteran at inside linebacker, wide receiver, edge rusher and other positions you have suggested to bring one in.

NaVorro Bowman or Gerald Hodges would be the logical available FA's that are available.

Obviously, if Burks or one of the other guys is looking spectacular, the Packers aren't worried. Or if someone on the outside can replace Matthews, Clay can always be brought into the inside again.

Hodges worked out with the Cardinals yesterday. With Matthews being an average inside linebacker at best and the team in need of an upgrade at edge rusher even with him playing the position there's no need to think about moving him inside again.

I agree on Superbowl, but I think if we keep Kizer we can make the playoffs if Aaron breaks a 4th body part.

I highly doubt the Packers have enough talent to even sniff at making the playoffs without Rodgers.

I think we might see Burks and Martini split the job. One plays run, one plays pass. Based on seeing Martini at Notre Dame, I hope Burks can cover the running game.

Burks is a coverage linebacker struggling defending the run. Martinez is currently the best at the position in this area.

Was about to post this article, before I read your post. DON'T SHOOT ME CAPTAIN!

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...c-reid-could-help-solve-packers-new-problems/

Don't get me wrong, Reid is a definitely a talented player that would present an upgrade for the Packers. Ain't gonna happen though.

While I don't know the exact ins and outs of it, I think he would be subject to the waiver wire and that means other teams can grab him before the Packers.

A veteran who has four or more accrued seasons isn't subject to the waiver wire and becomes a free agent immediately allowed to sign with a team.

Packers should offer the bears that 1st round pick from N.O. for Roquan Smith.

The Packers definitely shouldn't think about acquiring a rookie holding out in this day and age.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jake Ryan suffered torn ACL during Monday's practice, he's out for the season.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every team has injuries. In case anybody missed it, the Eagles won the Superbowl with their backup QB .
They beat the Queens to advance (also with a backup QB). Underachievers ***** about injuries

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the main difference is that those teams didnt have a big salary invested into their QB, they spend on fielding a good team top to bottom that’s capable of carrying a game manager. We got a lot of cap tied into Rodgers so maybe a few more positions are not as good or deep as they could be so we need the guys there to perform and not get injured. It’s the parity part of the nfl.

D

Deleted member 6794

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the main difference is that those teams didnt have a big salary invested into their QB, they spend on fielding a good team top to bottom that’s capable of carrying a game manager. We got a lot of cap tied into Rodgers so maybe a few more positions are not as good or deep as they could be so we need the guys there to perform and not get injured. It’s the parity part of the nfl.

The Vikings had actually more cap space allocated towards the quarterbacks in 2017 than the Packers.

his problem is that guarantee clause. wave it and be done.

I don't care about why Smith is holding out. With the new CBA is a huge red flag if a rookie is still holding out more than a week into camp.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Once again, unfortunately the Packers don't have enough cap space to sign a veteran at inside linebacker, wide receiver, edge rusher and other positions you have suggested to bring one in.
no, they don't. However, they do have ways to free up cap money, cutting Bulaga for one. Also, when I talk about signing "this FA or that FA" I do realize that they can't sign them all, but merely pointing out ways that the current roster can be improved with guys that are available to sign.

A veteran who has four or more accrued seasons isn't subject to the waiver wire and becomes a free agent immediately allowed to sign with a team.
Thanks for the clarification. I knew at some point there was the FA cutoff aspect, that was Josh Sitton's path when cut. That being said, those waiting for a 4 year veteran player to be cut and signed by the Packers, still have to realize, it is that player's decision who he plays for at that point. So whether its via the waiver wire or the signing of a free agent, no guarantees the guy you may want becomes yours.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute said today they won't be bringing in any vets.

I'm worried Gute is overconfident in Burks. Who knows, maybe this can be a good thing. I DON'T like Quentin Rollins working out in the sub packages at ILB. I honestly can't think off of the top of my head any tackles he has had I know he's had tackles, I just don't remember them.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I saw the idea of Karlos Dansby floated on Twitter. It’s an interesting idea given his familiarity with Pettine. However, I wonder if he would take a job where he would basically be competing for a sub package role. Maybe.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A) It's time to fire the strength and conditioning staff. Enough is enough. It may not all be on them. But, something isn't right.

B) Get Dansby or Reid in here.

C) Don't let Thompson around the facility.

OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan done for the year. Torn ACL. I feel for the kid; everything I read about him this off season was about how hard he'd worked to be his best for this season.