Aaaand...here we go with injuries again.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the Packers' main problem has been the concentration of which position group has been hit by those injuries. The secondary has just been demolished by injuries over the past couple years. If you're missing 4 starters at different places the team might be able to cope...take the top 3 guys at corner out of the game and suddenly there is no way to overcome that issue.

While it's definitely difficult to overcome several injuries at one position the Packers might have done better if most of their backups weren't undrafted players without any experience.

Injuries happen every year without fail without exception. The teams that have a formidable backup plan often still succeed. Of course some good fortune helps also but much has to do with the coaches making sure everyone from the #2s all the way to the practice squad are adequately prepared at any time.. and are ready to get into the spotlight and shine.

The front office has to make sure there's enough quality depth to make up for injuries as well though.

Time to sign NaVorro Bowman, Gerald Hodges or Brian Cushing.

I would definitely prefer Bowman out of the group.

I’m missing Joe Thomas about now. Too bad Dallas snatched him up

The Packers have Burks playing the position Thomas held during his time with the team. In addition he wasn't any good for most of his tenure in Green Bay.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The silver lining of this dark cloud is that Ryan, the one guy in this bunch who seems to definitely be done for the season, was almost certainly destined for a backup role in the long term. He and Martinez are cut out for the some role, and he wasn't going to take Martinez's job. It was a matter of time before a player with better movement/coverage skills took his job.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe it is time to give a call to either Reid or Vaccaro while shifting Jones into the ILB slot.

For the umpteenth time, no team will sign Reid after he filed a grievance against the league. Vaccaro is a bust.

The silver lining of this dark cloud is that Ryan, the one guy in this bunch who seems to definitely be done for the season, was almost certainly destined for a backup role in the long term. He and Martinez are cut out for the some role, and he wasn't going to take Martinez's job. It was a matter of time before a player with better movement/coverage skills took his job.

While I agree with most of your post Ryan would definitely have been at least a decent backup.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For the umpteenth time, no team will sign Reid after he filed a grievance against the league. Vaccaro is a bust.

While I agree with most of your post Ryan would definitely have been at least a decent backup.

Yes, and so of course the total impact is decidedly negative. But if a player running with the one's had to go down, I'm glad that it was a guy who I don't think anyone believed would actually open the season as a starter.

On a personal level, I feel awful for him. He plays a low-value NFL position and is in a contract year. He could find it hard to catch on somewhere next season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Yes.....2019 and beyond, but what do you do in 2018 when all you currently have at ILB is Martinez, a rookie and a bunch of UDFA's. There is absolutely no NFL experience from #2 down.

Oren Burks, Ahmad Thomas, Marcus Porter and Greer Martini.

Its August tomorrow, you don't wait until Mid Sept. or October to try and find a guy, when god forbid Martinez goes down. One guy has to step up now from this group and one guy needs to be ready. I just don't have a lot of faith in that happening. Get a Vet FA in soon to take Ryan's spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, and so of course the total impact is decidedly negative. But if a player running with the one's had to go down, I'm glad that it was a guy who I don't think anyone believed would actually open the season as a starter.

It's entirely possible Ryan could have started next to Martinez with Burks, Jones or Rollins replacing him on obvious passing downs.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes.....2019 and beyond, but what do you do in 2018 when all you currently have at ILB is Martinez, a rookie and a bunch of UDFA's. There is absolutely no NFL experience from #2 down.

Its August tomorrow, you don't wait until Mid Sept. or October to try and find a guy, when god forbid Martinez goes down. One guy has to step up now from this group and one guy needs to be ready. I just don't have a lot of faith in that happening. Get a Vet FA in soon to take Ryan's spot.

You have to include Josh Jones and Quinten Rollins in the list as both have taken snaps at inside linebacker during camp as well. Without Ryan the Packers lack another player excelling defending the run at the position aside of Martinez though.

You have to realize the Packers don't have enough cap space to address every position that you hve brought up within the last few days with a veteran.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's entirely possible Ryan could have started next to Martinez with Burks, Jones or Rollins replacing him on obvious passing downs.
Not to even mention, you have lost the one proven capable starter/backup that is currently on the roster.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I'm saying that I fully expected Ryan's work to be quite limited this season. I realize the experience elsewhere is not ideal, but Ryan is a liability in coverage and was likely only going to see snaps in base/GL defense.

To be clear, I'm not saying that it's a positive development. I'm just point out something that I consider to be a silver lining to a bad situation.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

"Started" sure, but I'm guessing only in base defense, which isn't really the base defense anymore. I don't think he was going to be on the field for sub packages.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm saying that I fully expected Ryan's work to be quite limited this season. I realize the experience elsewhere is not ideal, but Ryan is a liability in coverage and was likely only going to see snaps in base/GL defense.

To be clear, I'm not saying that it's a positive development. I'm just point out something that I consider to be a silver lining to a bad situation.

I agree with your theory, kind of like losing Rodgers last year proved how bad Hundley was. However, silver lining or not, the loss of Ryan at what I already considered a position thin in talent, should be compensated for by signing someone with some NFL experience.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree with your theory, kind of like losing Rodgers last year proved how bad Hundley was. However, silver lining or not, the loss of Ryan at what I already considered a position thin in talent, should be compensated for by signing someone with some NFL experience.

Who are you thinking?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted us to draft him :). So I still say yes. But I won't be holding my breath.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Who are you thinking?

NaVorro Bowman or Gerald Hodges would be the logical available FA's that are available. People shot my Brian Cushing idea down, but if Cushing is in shape and ready to go, he's an upgrade over Ryan, even off roids.

I actually think this is the time you talk to other teams and make a trade. A decent ILB probably is sitting on a team that knows they don't have room for him and will take a conditional 6th or 7th rounder for him. This is not the time of year you want to be thin in talent at any position and to me using one of next years late round picks to shore things up, isn't a bad thing.

Obviously, if Burks or one of the other guys is looking spectacular, the Packers aren't worried. Or if someone on the outside can replace Matthews, Clay can always be brought into the inside again.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
NaVorro Bowman or Gerald Hodges would be the logical available FA's that are available. People shot my Brian Cushing idea down, but if Cushing is in shape and ready to go, he's an upgrade over Ryan, even off roids.

I actually think this is the time you talk to other teams and make a trade. A decent ILB probably is sitting on a team that knows they don't have room for him and will take a conditional 6th or 7th rounder for him.

Obviously, if Burks or one of the other guys is looking spectacular, the Packers aren't worried. Or if someone on the outside can replace Matthews, Clay can always be brought into the inside again.

I wouldn't be opposed to signing someone to back up Martinez, but I don't see anyone on the market that would fit as a sub-package linebacker.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wouldn't be opposed to signing someone to back up Martinez, but I don't see anyone on the market that would fit as a sub-package linebacker.

Maybe the FA market. However, there is always the ability to swing a deal with another team. Take a page out of Belichick's playbook.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Maybe the FA market. However, there is always the ability to swing a deal with another team. Take a page out of Belichick's playbook.

Any ideas? I don't mean that critically. I'm curious. If it's a guy who figures to be a roster cut, I'd think it would make more sense to wait for that to happen.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jake Ryan down screaming and holding his knee; looks bad. Kentrell Brice carted off with a leg injury. If this is like other years, maybe we should keep this thread open to keep a running count.

I think we might see Burks and Martini split the job. One plays run, one plays pass. Based on seeing Martini at Notre Dame, I hope Burks can cover the running game.

Members online

Latest posts