A realization.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a football fan.

I am a Packers fan first, but I am an NFL fan in general. I love NCAA, the Badgers, Arena League, peewee and even CFL. I love football. Been a fan for over 30 years.

The last game I truly enjoyed watching this team was in our playoff win against Dallas (the Dez catch game) 2 seasons ago. I said all throughout the Seahawks game, based on the way we kept settling for FGs that we would wind up losing the game.

I have said since immediately after the game that teams dont lose those types of games and return the same. We have seen over the last 2 seasons that this team is not the same.

I have said all that before. What I have never said is this:

I am not the same.

I have become hyper critical of this team, and even when we are winning, I see very little positive. I thought that this was due to playing fantasy football, and to having other distractions, that made me feel less and less attached to my beloved lifelong team, so I stopped playing fantasy football, closing a league I had ran for over 5 seasons.

I then thought that it may be due to too much alcohol during the games, making me more and more on edge. So I stopped drinking during the games. Outside of one or 2 night games, no drinks in the last 2 seasons during the games.

Today, while watching with my Colts fan wife, and baby daughter, I spent the entire game screaming and angry. My daughter watched this, my wife watched it (shes used to it). I realized that my daughter was reacting to my anger, and thenI realized it...

I get no joy watching the Packers anymore. I dont enjoy the way that they make me feel. It no longer is fun. Win or loss, the end feeling is almost no difference.

In years past, it was fun, even when we lost. It hurt, but it was always fun. Now, it feels like a job, and one that I hate going to each day. It feels like I am spending all weekend waiting for the game to end, not waiting for it to come on. That realization hurts because in my family, my circle of friends, neighbors and co-workers, I am known as the Packers guy.

I haven't missed a game in years. Now, I dont know if I will be watching for some time. I dont consider myself a fair weather fan, but I am sure some will assume it. That's fine.

I may continue to post here from time to time, but there is a good chance I wont until something major shakes up in Titletown.

I will continue watching football, but in the way I watch basketball or baseball: as a pleasant distraction from time to time.

I will no longer live and die with each snap, each kick, each week of Packers football. Its just not worth it anymore.

Im going upstairs to read my daughter a bedtime book now.

Until then,

Steve.

fix8ed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a football fan.

I am a Packers fan first, but I am an NFL fan in general. I love NCAA, the Badgers, Arena League, peewee and even CFL. I love football. Been a fan for over 30 years.

The last game I truly enjoyed watching this team was in our playoff win against Dallas (the Dez catch game) 2 seasons ago. I said all throughout the Seahawks game, based on the way we kept settling for FGs that we would wind up losing the game.

I have said since immediately after the game that teams dont lose those types of games and return the same. We have seen over the last 2 seasons that this team is not the same.

I am not the same.

I have become hyper critical of this team, and even when we are winning, I see very little positive. I thought that this was due to playing fantasy football, and to having other distractions, that made me feel less and less attached to my beloved lifelong team, so I stopped playing fantasy football, closing a league I had ran for over 5 seasons.

I then thought that it may be due to too much alcohol during the games, making me more and more on edge. So I stopped drinking during the games. Outside of one or 2 night games, no drinks in the last 2 seasons during the games.

Today, while watching with my Colts fan wife, and baby daughter, I spent the entire game screaming and angry. My daughter watched this, my wife watched it (shes used to it). I realized that my daughter was reacting to my anger, and thenI realized it...

I get no joy watching the Packers anymore. I dont enjoy the way that they make me feel. It no longer is fun. Win or loss, the end feeling is almost no difference.

In years past, it was fun, even when we lost. It hurt, but it was always fun. Now, it feels like a job, and one that I hate going to each day. It feels like I am spending all weekend waiting for the game to end, not waiting for it to come on. That realization hurts because in my family, my circle of friends, neighbors and co-workers, I am known as the Packers guy.

I haven't missed a game in years. Now, I dont know if I will be watching for some time. I dont consider myself a fair weather fan, but I am sure some will assume it. That's fine.

I may continue to post here from time to time, but there is a good chance I wont until something major shakes up in Titletown.

I will continue watching football, but in the way I watch basketball or baseball: as a pleasant distraction from time to time.

I will no longer live and die with each snap, each kick, each week of Packers football. Its just not worth it anymore.

Until then,

Steve.
Well said, Steve. Packer games are fast becoming weekly ordeals. They are not a good team and with that clearly said, it is high time that Thompson and McCarthy come under serious scrutiny. That wonderful window of opportunity that opened up for this team a few years back is now rapidly closing on the fans' fingers. Thompson with his CPA mentality is to my mind largely responsible for the current shambles in which this team finds itself. But in the final analysis it all goes back to the Seattle game and its residual effect on both the fan às well as the team itself. I think the Thompson/Capers/McCarthy era should precede the closure of the Rodgers era. There is a sense of staleness about this team and its management...and like Steve, I am not the same fan anymore. I'm probably still back in Seattle.

Reaction score
I am a football fan.

I am not the same.

Until then,

Steve.
I'm kinda with you. But for me it's two pronged. I changed in the 2014 NFC championship game. I took a big break from football after that. I realized that I was taking the game way too seriously and losing perspective on what was really important in life. I mean these are grown men who I don't even know, and I was getting so amped up about what they did to the point that it was unhealthy. I was an inconsolable wreck after the Seattle championship game. I've taken a step back and while I don't get as much joy from their wins as I maybe did a couple of years ago, I also don't take losses as hard either. Don't get me wrong I will never ever turn my back on this team and will always want them to do well. I just think I had to take a moment to put things in perspective and realize it's just a game. Good post

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are people putting extra estrogen in their drinks? A tad dramatic don't you think? If the outcome of a game played by OTHER men has that much control over your life, maybe it's time to step away for good?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have always felt this way . Some here (you know who I am talking about ) and take it so serious, they get so pissed.

Those are the ones I worry about. They don't have family on the team, like some I know... Yet they act like they do, and have to deal with players and Admin coming home in pissed off moods

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a great original post. I think it has to do with the 2 most visable people on the team being giant ******. They take the joy out of it and their pissy attitudes resonate to the entire team. The pack could lose with Brett and my jaw would be on the floor listening to him speak after the game. You lived and died with him and you felt it...and it was real. You listen to MM or 12 and they are just 2 ******** talking down to you. This fanbase has given more than it has gotten recently. I am so sick and tired of MM pissing on the media and the fanbase. The media is the conduit to the fans so the questions they ask are representative for the most part of what the fans are thinking and feeling. Does anyone on that team look like they are having fun? I just saw the freaking punter for the raiders drop one inside the 20 and go off the field riding the ****ing pony.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I learned a long time ago that it's only a game and I don't let it affect my day either good or bad. That's just ridiculous if you allow it to ruin your day. However, people need to stop being cry babies and bandwagon fans.

Don't just ride ship when things are good.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All i know is that the Packers organization used to seem like a family to its fans. Now it seems like a business and I fear this titletown crap is going to be a huge mistake. They aren't doing that because its cool and something nice for the fans. They are doing it to make money....lots of money.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.
I fell asleep right after their last Super Bowl win and have woken up in Cleveland and now we are somehow rooting for the Cleveland Clowns.
Please let me know that is happening to explain it all!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I am a football fan.

I am not the same.

Until then,

Steve.

Blimey, have you considered the Samaritans ???..........................only pulling your leg mate !!

I

All i know is that the Packers organization used to seem like a family to its fans. Now it seems like a business and I fear this titletown crap is going to be a huge mistake. They aren't doing that because its cool and something nice for the fans. They are doing it to make money....lots of money.

Sorry to say it but it`s a business. I`m happy with that if they spent that money on buying better players than this build through youth crap. I don`t want success in the future as a dynasty, I want it now, and I want to walk with my head held high.

MajikMan7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.
I fell asleep right after their last Super Bowl win and have woken up in Cleveland and now we are somehow rooting for the Cleveland Clowns.
Please let me know that is happening to explain it all!
Did you just compare the Green Bay Packers to the Cleveland Browns??? The overreaction here right now is hysterical.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I talked to an avid fan/media member that went to the game yesterday. He told me he watched from high corner bleacher seats, and watched to see what was happening on the field in accordance with everything he has heard/seen on TV. He was astonished. He said he watched WR's running at 3/4ths speed and lollygagging the ENTIRE GAME. He could not believe that this was the NFL, and the GREEN BAY PACKERS. He claims that TT and MM had better get ready to pack. A clean house fire sale at WR is needed. They are ALL taking numerous plays off. This is heartbreaking - there is no spirit on this team any more on the offensive side of the ball. So.....Cobb, Nelson, Paddlehands, Richard Rodgers, Jeff Janis et al get ready - could be outs in titletown.

JP Doyal

AR12
Reaction score
I'm kinda with you. But for me it's two pronged. I changed in the 2014 NFC championship game. I took a big break from football after that. I realized that I was taking the game way too seriously and losing perspective on what was really important in life. I mean these are grown men who I don't even know, and I was getting so amped up about what they did to the point that it was unhealthy. I was an inconsolable wreck after the Seattle championship game. I've taken a step back and while I don't get as much joy from their wins as I maybe did a couple of years ago, I also don't take losses as hard either. Don't get me wrong I will never ever turn my back on this team and will always want them to do well. I just think I had to take a moment to put things in perspective and realize it's just a game. Good post

Holy crap this exactly how I feel since the Denver loss!

InFamous

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can understand that. I tried a different route and watched a game of to different teams than the Packers tonight.

And I am feeling worse. I have never seen a worse officiated game at Seattle than ours a few years back. Two blatantly missed calls were the most obvious ones. First the hit on the kicker before half, second the buffalo receiver got decked in the endzone on the 4th down play right in front of the official and he refused to call it...

I think I am going back to just arching the pack to not feel even worse... :confused:

Reaction score
In 2014, shortly after we lost to Seattle, MM lost his younger brother to a heart attack while playing racket ball. I couldn't understand how "unlucky" we could be but then realized at that moment why that loss was necessary.
Family comes first and it really put that in perspective. I was honestly glad we lost so Mike could spend time burying his brother.
I've been guilty also of taking the games too seriously in the past and I made a conscious decision of toning it down. Football is fun, but allowing the game to control your mood is dangerous. My Lovely wife (born n raised in Dallad) is watching me type this and she said she agrees. :whistling:

D

Deleted member 6794

So.....Cobb, Nelson, Paddlehands, Richard Rodgers, Jeff Janis et al get ready - could be outs in titletown.

The Packers need to add an elite wide receiver next offseason but I highly doubt the team will get rid of Nelson, Cobb and Adams.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bandwagon, the jumping off spot is over there>>>>

Have a hard time identifying exactly where this was directed, but I'm on board with the concept, provided you're referring to folks who no longer care about/follow the Pack. Way too often, those of us who offer caveats, concerns, criticisms, or complaints are considered to have bailed out, when it's only because we're Packer fans that we care enough to bemoan the state of the team.

I

.....Cobb, Nelson, Paddlehands, Richard Rodgers, Jeff Janis et al get ready - could be outs in titletown.

I`m sorry to see Nelson mentioned in this list. He suffered a bad injury last year. I`ve always thought the guy played his heart out for the Packers. I for one would be sorry to see him go. JMHO

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I talked to an avid fan/media member that went to the game yesterday. He told me he watched from high corner bleacher seats, and watched to see what was happening on the field in accordance with everything he has heard/seen on TV. He was astonished. He said he watched WR's running at 3/4ths speed and lollygagging the ENTIRE GAME. He could not believe that this was the NFL, and the GREEN BAY PACKERS. He claims that TT and MM had better get ready to pack. A clean house fire sale at WR is needed. They are ALL taking numerous plays off. This is heartbreaking - there is no spirit on this team any more on the offensive side of the ball. So.....Cobb, Nelson, Paddlehands, Richard Rodgers, Jeff Janis et al get ready - could be outs in titletown.
Why is why you see the frustration with Rodgers. The receivers have no faith that they will get open with these awful play designs, so they just go through the motion and stand around at the end of their routes. The talent can't mask the mediocre play design anymore.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Paddlehands,
Didn't see that name on the roster. Perchance do you mean the guy that has caught 2/3 his targets for 6 touchdowns? {44/65 for 465} http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AdamDa01.htm#receiving_and_rushing::none
BTW those numbers are in the Steve Smith, Pierre Garcon territory with a better reception avg than AJ Green. Better overall numbers than Edelman and Brandon Cooks. Time to get off this hate.

EDIT: Ok hate is too a strong word. How about time to give the kid some credit. He actually has enough skill to belong in the NFL.

Last edited: