A realization.

LoneStarPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a football fan.

I am a Packers fan first, but I am an NFL fan in general. I love NCAA, the Badgers, Arena League, peewee and even CFL. I love football. Been a fan for over 30 years.

The last game I truly enjoyed watching this team was in our playoff win against Dallas (the Dez catch game) 2 seasons ago. I said all throughout the Seahawks game, based on the way we kept settling for FGs that we would wind up losing the game.

I have said since immediately after the game that teams dont lose those types of games and return the same. We have seen over the last 2 seasons that this team is not the same.

I have said all that before. What I have never said is this:

I am not the same.

I have become hyper critical of this team, and even when we are winning, I see very little positive. I thought that this was due to playing fantasy football, and to having other distractions, that made me feel less and less attached to my beloved lifelong team, so I stopped playing fantasy football, closing a league I had ran for over 5 seasons.

I then thought that it may be due to too much alcohol during the games, making me more and more on edge. So I stopped drinking during the games. Outside of one or 2 night games, no drinks in the last 2 seasons during the games.

Today, while watching with my Colts fan wife, and baby daughter, I spent the entire game screaming and angry. My daughter watched this, my wife watched it (shes used to it). I realized that my daughter was reacting to my anger, and thenI realized it...

I get no joy watching the Packers anymore. I dont enjoy the way that they make me feel. It no longer is fun. Win or loss, the end feeling is almost no difference.

In years past, it was fun, even when we lost. It hurt, but it was always fun. Now, it feels like a job, and one that I hate going to each day. It feels like I am spending all weekend waiting for the game to end, not waiting for it to come on. That realization hurts because in my family, my circle of friends, neighbors and co-workers, I am known as the Packers guy.

I haven't missed a game in years. Now, I dont know if I will be watching for some time. I dont consider myself a fair weather fan, but I am sure some will assume it. That's fine.

I may continue to post here from time to time, but there is a good chance I wont until something major shakes up in Titletown.

I will continue watching football, but in the way I watch basketball or baseball: as a pleasant distraction from time to time.

I will no longer live and die with each snap, each kick, each week of Packers football. Its just not worth it anymore.

Im going upstairs to read my daughter a bedtime book now.

Until then,

Steve.

It's never wrong to sit back and take stock every once in awhile

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't see that name on the roster. Perchance do you mean the guy that has caught 2/3 his targets for 6 touchdowns? {44/65 for 465} http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AdamDa01.htm#receiving_and_rushing::none
BTW those numbers are in the Steve Smith, Pierre Garcon territory with a better reception avg than AJ Green. Better overall numbers than Edelman and Brandon Cooks. Time to get off this hate.

EDIT: Ok hate is too a strong word. How about time to give the kid some credit. He actually has enough skill to belong in the NFL.

I am no more or less disgusted with Adams than most of the team this year, but I am confused about the number above. Using the website you reference, Adams certainly is near the top in TDs. However, I find his catch percentage places him at #85, and while that actually is a couple of slots above Green, overall production on the catches for each isn't close - Green is #21 at 15.2 YPC, and Adams is #106 at 10.6 YPC.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. We sure have a spoiled fan base.

As always, define your terms, then maybe we've got a discussion. If, by spoiled, you mean a fan base that is happy with winning a lot of games, getting into the playoffs, winning division championships, sure. If, on the other hand, you consider spoiled, as I do, to mean being given everything you want, or more than you should expect, I would contend that Packers fans have been given short shrift for a number of years. We've gone into every season for some time with the world's #1 or #2 QB, a history of winning, and a really good chance at the actual prize, a Lombardi. Happily, because of the Perfect Storm in 2010, that has actually happened, once. Hard for me to look at that situation as being spoiled.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Until then,

Steve.

but you know it will never truly change for you until you start reading her "The Cat in the Hat" and "James and the Giant Peach" instead of "When Pride Still Mattered" and "Instant Replay"

1940sfootball

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sports is tv entertainment. You don't get emotionally involved in something you don't control. You just watch and laugh.
No one on the team gives a damn you exist.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sports is tv entertainment. You don't get emotionally involved in something you don't control. You just watch and laugh.
No one on the team gives a damn you exist.

You haven't spent a whole lot of time around a whole lot of sports fans, have you? :) (Unless you're talking about what you think should/shouldn't happen).

Certainly is true the nobody on the Pack cares.knows that we exist. When did you make that discovery?

Jmurray

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a football fan.

I am a Packers fan first, but I am an NFL fan in general. I love NCAA, the Badgers, Arena League, peewee and even CFL. I love football. Been a fan for over 30 years.

The last game I truly enjoyed watching this team was in our playoff win against Dallas (the Dez catch game) 2 seasons ago. I said all throughout the Seahawks game, based on the way we kept settling for FGs that we would wind up losing the game.

I have said since immediately after the game that teams dont lose those types of games and return the same. We have seen over the last 2 seasons that this team is not the same.

I have said all that before. What I have never said is this:

I am not the same.

I have become hyper critical of this team, and even when we are winning, I see very little positive. I thought that this was due to playing fantasy football, and to having other distractions, that made me feel less and less attached to my beloved lifelong team, so I stopped playing fantasy football, closing a league I had ran for over 5 seasons.

I then thought that it may be due to too much alcohol during the games, making me more and more on edge. So I stopped drinking during the games. Outside of one or 2 night games, no drinks in the last 2 seasons during the games.

Today, while watching with my Colts fan wife, and baby daughter, I spent the entire game screaming and angry. My daughter watched this, my wife watched it (shes used to it). I realized that my daughter was reacting to my anger, and thenI realized it...

I get no joy watching the Packers anymore. I dont enjoy the way that they make me feel. It no longer is fun. Win or loss, the end feeling is almost no difference.

In years past, it was fun, even when we lost. It hurt, but it was always fun. Now, it feels like a job, and one that I hate going to each day. It feels like I am spending all weekend waiting for the game to end, not waiting for it to come on. That realization hurts because in my family, my circle of friends, neighbors and co-workers, I am known as the Packers guy.

I haven't missed a game in years. Now, I dont know if I will be watching for some time. I dont consider myself a fair weather fan, but I am sure some will assume it. That's fine.

I may continue to post here from time to time, but there is a good chance I wont until something major shakes up in Titletown.

I will continue watching football, but in the way I watch basketball or baseball: as a pleasant distraction from time to time.

I will no longer live and die with each snap, each kick, each week of Packers football. Its just not worth it anymore.

Until then,

Steve.
Steve - you and I are much alike. I have been a Packer fan since 1972 and never lived in Wisconsin. The Packers were generally not a very good team from 1972-1992 - but i was a die hard Packer fan and would watch any Packer game that i could see on TV - which generally was Monday night football or if the Packers played a game against a team in my NFL market. The last twenty five years - the Packers have been great - it has been a fun ride. I have Direct TV and the Ticket and see all their games. Often I watch only the Packer game each week and maybe another game or two or not. I have often thought i watch the Packer games with a critical eye as well - i seem to find every mistake or weakness and it drives me nuts. however, when i step and watch other NFL games - sometimes i see the same poor play or mistakes - and then wonder if I just "know" too much about the Packers and am somewhat biased in my opinions and views of this team. I also wondered if this team would recover from that loss in Seattle - and I agree - they have not been the same since.

Here is what i have started doing this year - I have been recording the games on Tivo - and if they win - i watch. if they lose - it is my choice. i like to play golf - and i generally never would play when the Packers were on - but now - i go play and then watch the game (or not) when i get home. I don't mind watching a game where i know the result. it keeps me a little detached. If I know they ultimately win - than i know that no matter how badly things seem to be going - it will work out in our favor. I started watching the Colt game last nite to avoid all the election coverage - i only saw the first half - but i thought the Packers actually looked OK for the most part - which i probably would have not felt that way if i were watching it live. Good Luck. I am not giving up the Packers - just trying to preserve my sanity.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am no more or less disgusted with Adams than most of the team this year, but I am confused about the number above. Using the website you reference, Adams certainly is near the top in TDs. However, I find his catch percentage places him at #85, and while that actually is a couple of slots above Green, overall production on the catches for each isn't close - Green is #21 at 15.2 YPC, and Adams is #106 at 10.6 YPC.
That's about right. He still can't get open, but he's doing a much better job at catching throws in coverage.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think there's any doubt Adams has significantly improved over last season. He's for sure not an elite receiver but has turned into a decent weapon on the outside.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think there's any doubt Adams has significantly improved over last season. He's for sure not an elite receiver but has turned into a decent weapon on the outside.
Not surprising at all. We saw some of those skills his rookie year. All guys don't progress at the same rate. Each individual is different.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. We sure have a spoiled fan base.

I will never understand this attitude. It's basically implying that fans should be happy with past wins and then be ok with m'eh because, "hey! we haven't been the Browns for the last twenty years so it's perfectly ok to be the Titans for the next ten years!".

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll never understand the attitude of those that don't play, and haven't probably every played (if at all) in anything beyond highschool that anything short of winning means they aren't acceptable to watch because this is Green Bay damnit and anything less than a title is a travesty. It shows a complete lack of respect for what it takes to win a game, let alone this many for this long in this league. It shows a complete lack of understanding of team dynamics, salary cap, sustained winning, and the dedication it takes to get remotely close to where Green Bay has been for the past 20 years or so.

There's a difference between being disappointed and going over the edge. The differences between saying the team should line up differently against these fronts on offense or defense, or using XYZ and some motion to get Montgomery on X linebacker or some sort of analysis to actually make a point is vastly different than, I can't watch, this team sucks, everyone must go, this is GB and we must win championships all while you sit on your couch. yes, this fanbase is spoiled. It seems so many can't appreciate anything anymore and have no concept of what it even takes.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll never understand the attitude of those that don't play, and haven't probably every played (if at all) in anything beyond highschool that anything short of winning means they aren't acceptable to watch because this is Green Bay damnit and anything less than a title is a travesty. It shows a complete lack of respect for what it takes to win a game, let alone this many for this long in this league. It shows a complete lack of understanding of team dynamics, salary cap, sustained winning, and the dedication it takes to get remotely close to where Green Bay has been for the past 20 years or so.

There's a difference between being disappointed and going over the edge. The differences between saying the team should line up differently against these fronts on offense or defense, or using XYZ and some motion to get Montgomery on X linebacker or some sort of analysis to actually make a point is vastly different than, I can't watch, this team sucks, everyone must go, this is GB and we must win championships all while you sit on your couch. yes, this fanbase is spoiled. It seems so many can't appreciate anything anymore and have no concept of what it even takes.

Sort of like this post?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would submit that the Packers 'haven't been the same ' since the Seattle loss because that was their peak. 2013 and '14 were the best title chances for this team.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will never understand this attitude. It's basically implying that fans should be happy with past wins and then be ok with m'eh because, "hey! we haven't been the Browns for the last twenty years so it's perfectly ok to be the Titans for the next ten years!".

We are nowwhere the Titans. We have been average for half a season after being very good for a long time and people highly exaggerate the situation like you just did.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The same ones that were overreacting about Rodgers for the first few weeks are also some of the same ones that are proclaiming this season a lost cause and that we are terrible and everyone has to go.

Lots of time to go, folks.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team is going nowhere this season, and unless there are some changes, not for a while after this season.
A long way to go does nothing as a reason why this team will suddenly turn things around and go the the SB.
Hope is not a plan, and a poor substitute for reality.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe the struggle along all year again, and if they struggle into the 2nd round of the playoffs again, it will be hard to be too upset. Maybe they collapse and don't win another game. maybe they put it all together and win the Superbowl. But there is reason for optimism, because they have the guys. They don't have a RB, but it's not like we're trying to catch fire with Brian Griese or something. It's Aaron Rodgers. People may say we lack talent, but BahkT, Bulaga, Tretter, Linsley, Lang do not suck. Jordy, Cobb, Adams, Montgomery, do not suck. Burnett, Dix, Matthews, Peppers, Daniels, guion, etc are pretty decent players to think can play better. If we get healthy in the secondary and they can match their level of play to their potential, we may have something. It's not like we're asing Jarrett Bush to be Sam Shields, but we all saw Rollins and Randall show they can play in this league as rookies. Maybe they never get it together or get on the field, but it's silly to toss out the season because you've already determined they can't play better. Because it's BS. Maybe they never do, but it isn't because they don't have the tools to do it.

There are a lot of legitimate reasons this team could turn it around and quickly. I don't know if they will or not, but i'm not tossing in any towel either. Not even if they're out of it completely. I only have 1 team and the season isn't that long to go pout in a corner till next September.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team- and it's talent- are not as good as we have repeatedly been led to believe.
This great group has repeatedly fallen on it's *** year after year after setting the tone with a bunch of talk about Super Bowls. You've had over a years worth of sub par, below .500 play with no answers or improvement.
But you keep telling yourself how any second, any minute, any day now it's all gonna turn it around, and anyone who believes the results of this teams on field performances over some mystical 'there's a bunch of reasons ' why this team will turn it around is just spouting BS.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team- and it's talent- are not as good as we have repeatedly been led to believe.
This great group has repeatedly fallen on it's *** year after year after setting the tone with a bunch of talk about Super Bowls. You've had over a years worth of sub par, below .500 play with no answers or improvement.
But you keep telling yourself how any second, any minute, any day now it's all gonna turn it around, and anyone who believes the results of this teams on field performances over some mystical 'there's a bunch of reasons ' why this team will turn it around is just spouting BS.

I don't see how 10-6 and 4-4 can be considered below .500 play.

And Mondio above didn't even say they will turn it around. He just said it's possible so there's no reason to give up now.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And Mondio above didn't even say they will turn it around. He just said it's possible so there's no reason to give up now.
-I'm not giving up; I'm being realistic based on what I've seen.
-I'm going from the 6-0 start last season; and there where issues even then.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps he's referring to last year AFTER the wheels came off at the bye; 4-6 (or 7-5 counting playoffs) to finish the year plus the 4-4 so far in 2016.

Perhaps he's referring to last year AFTER the wheels came off at the bye; 4-6 (or 5-7 counting playoffs) to finish the year plus the 4-4 so far in 2016.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Start of the season, everyone's excited. Beat Jacksonville on the road, everyone's excited. Lose to Minnesota on the road, everyone's on suicide watch. 1st half of Detroit, Rodgers is back. Week 5 against the Giants, people were screaming for Hundley. Dallas game, everyone was really panicking. Chicago game where Rodgers completes 39 passes, many proclaimed him back for the 2nd time. The entire game against Atlanta, almost everyone was talking about how we were ready to go on a big run and march into the playoffs with a ton of momentum. Lay an egg against the Colts, the season is over.

So moral of the story is this: Most fans are extreme reactionaries, one way or the other. If we win by 4 TD's this Sunday, many will back off the ledge for another week. If we lose, many will jump off.

Gotta love the ups and downs of an NFL season. ;)

Members online

Latest posts