A Packers fan base divided

Who is responsible for the last two losses?

• The coaching staff

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Brett 2.0 / Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • The defense

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder just wonder how average this team was when Favre was at then helm. We had two quarterbacks in the last 30 years. Our focus should strongly be on a smash mouth defense from here on out... The next couple drafts or through trades.. Lets face it A Rod could have D 3 guys and make them look Pro Bowl ish... I would like to see some 2010 type defense.. It has been inept the last 5-7 years....

Great points by all.. At the end of the day we are all Packers fans.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I guess I’m one of the only ones that blames Hundley. I just feel I did not see much hope in him, which could be premature on my part. But if it is not premature, and he continues to look like he did against the saints and Vikings, how does a guy that gets to observe one of the best in the game be so bad after 2 full seasons behind him?

Either he wasn't that good to start with, that would be on the Scouts and TT. Or he wasn't coached up. Keep in mind, the guy was a 5th round pick, 146 guys were viewed as better than him, in just that one draft.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never understood the fan trend to need to find a specific person or thing to find blame.
For example, only blaming the defense for playoff loses when the offense has played parts too or only blaming MM/play calling last week when Hundley was not good.
I think the reason is that the offense has been a strength for the time, and it usually performs pretty well. But there will always be games when it gets shut down to some extent, or has an off day. And that's why we need a good defense, to take up the slack for those times when the offense doesn't play as well. We need a defense that will step up and get us a win, and we just don't have it.

How can it be Hundley when he wasn't even allowed to throw the first half? They won't even let him get into any sort rhythm. Run, run, pass, punt.
Agreed, I don't think Aaron Rodgers would be able to get into a rhythm like that either.

Well said and I know you probably won't agree with me, but I would add to it that some of this is on TT and the Draft and Develop philosophy he runs the Packers under. Yes, the Packers and us fans probably all thought Hundley was a great guy to have as our #2. However, should a team that is usually in contention for a SB run, especially one that relies so heavily on Aaron Rodgers, be content to rely on a 5th round draft pick, with virtually no regular season experience to be their backup?
As I've said before, it seems like most seasons there are areas where TT has left us without sufficient depth, and at some point or other usually those areas get injuries and it comes up to bite us in the behind. This year people were talking about the OL and the pass rush being thin, but few people mention the QB, because it's almost unmentionable, it's so unthinkable a disaster to lose Rodgers. But we're suffering from that right now. On the other hand, maybe Hundley wins us the next six games and this discussion is only a bad memory. Not likely, but you never know.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I’m one of the only ones that blames Hundley. I just feel I did not see much hope in him, which could be premature on my part. But if it is not premature, and he continues to look like he did against the saints and Vikings, how does a guy that gets to observe one of the best in the game be so bad after 2 full seasons behind him?

I agree with 95% of what you said except just putting the blame on Hundley. You can't solely put the blame on Hundley even tho he's sat behind Rodgers because he and Rodgers have two completely styles in which they play...and how they throw the ball. I think TT did with Hundley what he usually does..he drafted the best player available in his opinion . Unfortunately like many of his picks Hundley will spend 4 yrs in Green Bay...and then be gone after his rookie contract. MM is just as much at fault because he just doesn't call quick hitting timing routes. His stuff is always deep crossing routes ,long developing deep routes, comeback routes or double moves. Rarely do they run slants or wr screens..which actually have worked.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder just wonder how average this team was when Favre was at then helm. We had two quarterbacks in the last 30 years. Our focus should strongly be on a smash mouth defense from here on out... The next couple drafts or through trades.. Lets face it A Rod could have D 3 guys and make them look Pro Bowl ish... I would like to see some 2010 type defense.. It has been inept the last 5-7 years....

Great points by all.. At the end of the day we are all Packers fans.

We are already doing this. We load up heavily on defense almost every draft. Either Ted is whiffing or Dom isn't using them very well.

Picking near the back ends of most drafts doesn't help, but teams like Seattle and Minnesota have been in similar positions and built successful defenses.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about Brunell, Detmer, Doug Pederson, Matt Hasselbeck...is it fair to say that Dom's D's couldn't hold a candle to Fritz Shurmur? Are all these D picks whiffs or is the ridiculously complex and confusing D scheme to blame here? Is there smoke where there is fire here? If so, Capers needs to dummy down his defensive sets so that these young guys know their primaries.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the reason is that the offense has been a strength for the time, and it usually performs pretty well. But there will always be games when it gets shut down to some extent, or has an off day. And that's why we need a good defense, to take up the slack for those times when the offense doesn't play as well. We need a defense that will step up and get us a win, and we just don't have it.

Agreed, I don't think Aaron Rodgers would be able to get into a rhythm like that either.

As I've said before, it seems like most seasons there are areas where TT has left us without sufficient depth, and at some point or other usually those areas get injuries and it comes up to bite us in the behind. This year people were talking about the OL and the pass rush being thin, but few people mention the QB, because it's almost unmentionable, it's so unthinkable a disaster to lose Rodgers. But we're suffering from that right now. On the other hand, maybe Hundley wins us the next six games and this discussion is only a bad memory. Not likely, but you never know.

Rodgers doesn't need specific play calling to get into rhythm.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Wonder if this will change anyone's mind...

According to Ian Rapoport, the Packers were interested in Brian Hoyer. He chose to go to New England. This does not give me warm and fuzzies on what the feelings are in Green Bay of Brett Hundley giving us a legitimate shot. My prediction is Joe Callahan is starting by Week 10.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RapSheet/status/925752930837385216

Last edited:
Reaction score
Either he wasn't that good to start with, that would be on the Scouts and TT. Or he wasn't coached up. Keep in mind, the guy was a 5th round pick, 146 guys were viewed as better than him, in just that one draft.
True. There’s a philosophy of some GMs that grabbing a QB regularly in the draft should be a way of life
I believe it’s for the 2 reasons you mentioned above.
I believe TT made an interesting grab at Hundley because he was considered extremely raw but had well above physical and mental attributes that were appealing. I remember GB saying how impressed they were with Hundley when he came out to talk to them pre draft.. that he was a quick study type and his football acumen left a memorable impression on them.
I think TT had strongly considered grabbing Hundley when he was still available round 4. We had just come off a year of shuffling at the ILB and we had just realized that Carl Bradford was not our guy. There was a need to get CM3 back to his regular position and that resulted in added pressure to go with a promising Jake Ryan round 4. I believe TT strongly considered Hundley starting in round 4 and gladly bartered a 7th round and 5th rounder to move up 20 spots for his QB early round 5 when he was still on the board.
That is exactly what Hundley is, TT’s prize project. Ted has high expectations of him and we know now that TT tried to deal him this offseason and came very close to attaining either a 2nd or 3rd rounder
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ng-aaron-rodgers-backup-during-the-draft/amp/
Which is exactly what you said but instead he has a viable backup QB that he believes is very capable of winning games at the professional level.
The injury Hundley suffered early last year set him back IMO but his potential is still high and I personally believe as he becomes more comfortable each game he will improve.
While we are all arguably anxious to see him play well because we were all riding high 2 weeks ago at 4-1 and talking where to hang our SB trophy. Meanwhile Brett was always a long term project, that’s what we said about him when we drafted him and that’s what he still is now. Nothing’s changed except hurried fan expectations for him to develop tomorrow to save our season
That’s my story and I’m
Sticking to it! Lol

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agreed with you, but to be fair Rodgers is probably the most gifted thrower of the football in football history.
not to mention the fact that he audibles out to a more favorable play on a very consistent basis due to his ability to read the defense. Hundley has no ability or most likely permission to do that.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not to mention the fact that he audibles out to a more favorable play on a very consistent basis due to his ability to read the defense. Hundley has no ability or most likely permission to do that.

You should never tell your QB who's starring into the face of the defense that he doesn't have permission to audible into a more favorable play. If that's the case then MM should really be fired because Hundley has been in his system for over three yrs. that would be inexcusable

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I blame the coaching. The running game was working. Hundley was gaining yards on the ground. McCarthy could parlay none of that production into anything substantial. It is because his offense was exposed in 2015, and while Rodgers has been terrific for the most part since, it has still looked like he has been pulling teeth during most games. It certainly doesn't look as easy as it once did. For any other QB, it will be extremely difficult. And considering we need every bit of offense that we can get to make up for the incompetence of Capers, that is going to result in a lot of losses

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wonder if this will change anyone's mind...

According to Ian Rapoport, the Packers were interested in Brian Hoyer. He chose to go to New England. This does not give me warm and fuzzies on what the feelings are in Green Bay of Brett Hundley giving us a legitimate shot. My prediction is Joe Callahan is starting by Week 10.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RapSheet/status/925752930837385216

Doesn't surprise me. Hoyer probably should have been in Green Bay the week after #12 went down, but guessing if he was even on TT's radar, he wasn't willing to pay the 49ers the price they may have been asking for him. This couldn't have worked out any better for Hoyer, going back to a team he has been with and a team with SB aspirations.

Wonder if TT is on the phone with Kaep now? :coffee:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minnesota loss I can just chalk up to the fact that Rodgers gets hurt and the energy around the team just collapses. It happens. Going into the NO game, I thought a week of getting Hundley ready with a gameplan revolving around him would at least allow average play at the QB position, but that didn't happen.

Was it MM, BH? I'll say MM was way too conversative, but if they get another sub 100 yard passing day, then I'll have to believe that BH is just not any good and the conservative play is because MM knows this and there is nothing he can do about it. At that point, just put Callahan in and see what happens.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers doesn't need specific play calling to get into rhythm.
As great as Rodgers is, he's still human. I think we've seen examples where he's become more effective when the game plan allows him to throw the ball more. Like last year after Lacy went down. We've seen him start slow in several seasons, I think that's an example of needing to get into a rhythm.

I do agree with swhitset above though, that Rodgers is more likely to audible out of the run and into the pass, so it doesn't affect him as much.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but I don't know though. Did we actually draft Hundley with him in mind as Rodgers's successor? Or did we just get him as a stopgap for times like these? I was thinking perhaps TT had hoped maybe he could get a QB who was going to be of a futuristic offensive mold and then wanted him showcased off just enough that another team would bite and look for a trade deal or something. The way it's looking now though, unless we can get him performing up to par, his stock is going to be going way down by the time his contract ends. I wouldn't know, but my assumption is that the plan was somewhere on those lines.

I don't think they looked at him as ARs successor. In fact if we draft another QB in 2018 I don't know that he would be looked at as ARs successor. Its possible, I mean 4 more years of AR is probably expected but maybe not much more. When TT drafted Hundley I doubt he was expecting to keep him around until he could take over for AR. First of all rookies have a 4 year contract. I doubt anyone was expecting we would have AR for only 4 more years. Second when that rookie contract is up the QB, if he is any good at all, will want his chance to start and there is a good chance he will leave for FA. If he is not good enough to garner interest on the FA market do we really think he is the future anyway. I'm not sure there is any QB in the league right now that would be considered a successor to AR. Maybe some rookie or 2nd year guy (don't know anything about Taysom Hill but some people seem to like him) that we may target during FA when its his time but as far as anyone who has been around for a few years I don't think so. At least none I can think I would want. That means TT will probably draft a QB in 2018 with the idea that he may become AR successor and not just a guy we hope to build up and turn around for a higher pick which is what I think Hundley was.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts