A look at realistic ILB options-- link provided

H

HardRightEdge

McCarthy has recently expressed enthusiasm for Barrington. We just gave Lattimore a $1.4 mil contract, presumably for reasons other than special teams and stirring halftime speeches...he'll back up in a pinch.

I highly doubt we'll see a vet FA brought in.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Post a link. I'd like to see him cover somebody.

I suppose from your disagreement you believe he could step right in and play 3-4 ILB in the NFL.

He said he played coverage a few times but worked at it in the offseason. Although it does sound like his best fit would be staying at OLB, he still seems to have interest in lining up inside too. I bet he does a little of both. This article has changed me opinion. I now believe he will play to the situation on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But he won't start there in camp. We know that already. Link...yes, please.

I'm gonna have to change my argument to your side on this one. But I think we see him line up all over the LB corps. He won't be a pure ILB starter in 2014 unless he really really catches on FAST.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did have a couple interceptions though during college, more than our safeties had last season ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

Didn't say that. I just think if he started there in camp, by week 4 or 5 he would be ready. I'll find a link

There´s no evidence at all that he´s capable of playing ILB. I´d rather don´t move around guys all the time. Thompson should have gotten a true ILB.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s no evidence at all that he´s capable of playing ILB. I´d rather don´t move around guys all the time. Thompson should have gotten a true ILB.

Probably, but of all our post 3rd round picks, this guy is my favorite. And I wouldn't replace him for any of the ILB guys still on the board at the time.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And there was also no evidence that Jones or Lattimore could play ILB but they still made the switch. Not commenting on how those switches worked out, I'm just saying it's very much in TTs realm to move linebackers around and discounting that it's a possibility is a very unintelligent thing to say.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of the list given Barrington has the size to do the job don't know about instincts. I'm not sure I like any of the other options.

D

Deleted member 6794

And there was also no evidence that Jones or Lattimore could play ILB but they still made the switch. Not commenting on how those switches worked out, I'm just saying it's very much in TTs realm to move linebackers around and discounting that it's a possibility is a very unintelligent thing to say.

I´m well aware of the fact that Thompson likes to move players around, which could be a reason why our defense hasn´t been as good. Not taking how such a move worked out in the past into consideration when talking about future moves is even more unintelligent.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has this season pinned on the play of Jones. He will get every chance to fail first. Hawk will ride off to the sunset in a few years and will need to be greatly outplayed to be demoted before then. Nobody on this roster has yet shown that capability. Lattimore was embarrassed last season in his chance at greater playing time. Hopefully he learned from that and moves on to greater things.
I think that unless Bradford or Thomas do something amazing in camp, you've got it nailed. Some people have said Jones was coming on strong at year's end. Maybe that's true, I just didn't notice it. Unfortunately, as deep as this draft was, it wasn't very deep at ILB. Even Shazier, the guy I preferred over Mosley, is primarily an OLB. TT did a great job in the draft and FA to beef up this defense. If the other guys can contribute per plan (Peppers, Clinton/Dix, Raji) and we can be at least a little healthier on D, we'll be alright. Ideally Jones turns into Desmond Bishop. And for all the nasty talk about Hawk, in the end he is more of an asset than a liability.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that unless Bradford or Thomas do something amazing in camp, you've got it nailed. Some people have said Jones was coming on strong at year's end. Maybe that's true, I just didn't notice it. Unfortunately, as deep as this draft was, it wasn't very deep at ILB. Even Shazier, the guy I preferred over Mosley, is primarily an OLB. TT did a great job in the draft and FA to beef up this defense. If the other guys can contribute per plan (Peppers, Clinton/Dix, Raji) and we can be at least a little healthier on D, we'll be alright. Ideally Jones turns into Desmond Bishop. And for all the nasty talk about Hawk, in the end he is more of an asset than a liability.

Jones played pretty well early in the season before he was injured, he wasn´t coming on strong at the end of the year. I agree the draft was pretty thin at ILB, that´s why I would have liked Thompson to bring in a free agent at the position. I expect the defense to be better than last year as well, but ILB is by far the weakest link on it.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones played pretty well early in the season before he was injured, he wasn´t coming on strong at the end of the year. I agree the draft was pretty thin at ILB, that´s why I would have liked Thompson to bring in a free agent at the position. I expect the defense to be better than last year as well, but ILB is by far the weakest link on it.
Well given that the Lions, Bears and Vikes have beefed up their receiving corps, I'd rather have a solid secondary. Clinton/Dix will help with that as well as the return of Heyward. Given our weakness at ILB, we're at a disadvantage against read-option teams like the Seahawks and Niners. I really don't think the Niners are going to have a great year with the friction between Harbaugh and management, but the Niners certainly helped themselves in the draft and FA. I'd be happy this year to at least make it to the NFC Championship, if not the SB. ILB will have to be addressed next year I guess. Although I was watching the tape on Bradford. If he can convert to ILB, could be another of TT's greater 4th round picks. Last year it was Bakhtiari who played very well. This year, maybe Bradford. Like I said I'm happy with the draft. TT learned from Ron Wolf's mistake and has given Rodgers a lot of weapons. That Davante Adams (right name?) catches everything. And while he's not all that fast, makes up for it with his moves. I think times in the 4o are overrated. Clinton/Dix is 4.58 or something, which seems plenty fast to me. Where he does is excel is as a field general, a defensive QB. A lot to ask from a new guy, but Alabama is as close to a farm system as the NFL gets. We'll see.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're stuck with Jones and Hawk - forever it looks like.

The only way we see improvement at the position is if one of those guys down with an injury, and the Packers are forced to play someone else there.

Of course no one can figure this out... the only people on the planet that think Jones and Hawk are adequate ILB's are TT, MM, and Capers. Of course they are the only ones who matter - and to that end, we've been terrible for a few years running, and that is going to continue.

The defense has just been a God-awful mess for 3 years now... it's demoralizing.

H

HardRightEdge

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m well aware of the fact that Thompson likes to move players around, which could be a reason why our defense hasn´t been as good. Not taking how such a move worked out in the past into consideration when talking about future moves is even more unintelligent.

I wasn't calling you unintelligent. I also wasn't not taking it into consideration. All I meant was that there's the possibility that he gets moved. Sorry for the misunderstanding

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't know that we've moved guys around a lot on defense... I guess Brad Jones technically started out as an OLB - but he isn't much of a pass rusher, and at ILB he couldn't take on and shed my sister - so he's kind of "just a LB".

The flip side of moving guys around would be that Neal has looked good at LOLB. I love the idea of having an outlier kind of player at the LB positions, ala Neal at OLB, or a guy like Woodley in Pittsburgh, or Urlacher in Chicago. I'd like to pencil Neal in as the starter... but I doubt Capers will do that.

Perry was completely miscast as a LB, and he would be a glaring example; but the rest of the guys up front are simply misused. Our DL are better suited to playing a 4-3 than a 3-4... so whatta ya gonna do?? It isn't so much that guys are being moved around, it is that they are being misused from the gitgo.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need an ILB who can rush the passer. Haven't had that since Bishop. It looks like it's not going to be addressed this year. People have posted that Jones was coming on near the end of the year last year. I didn't notice that. Anyone agree? Based on what I saw Lattimore was the best option at ILB.

In 6 seasons Bishop has 9 sacks. In 5 season, Jones has 10.

Jones looked really promising as a rookie. I remember being very surprised at his speed and ability to go after the passer after being labeled as 'very raw' coming out of college. He was moved to ILB not that long ago. TT and the scouting staff saw enough promise to give him an extension. Why it didn't work for him, I do not know. Best hope is that he was still learning the position and with a season of learning under his belt, he comes faster and with more confidence.

As for the rest of the youngsters on the the team, only Lattimore holds interest as a potential starter this coming season.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're stuck with Jones and Hawk - forever it looks like.

The only way we see improvement at the position is if one of those guys down with an injury, and the Packers are forced to play someone else there....... it's demoralizing.
Don't be so quick to sulk.
We might have the guy at ILB already on our roster who can take it a step up, plus inject some life into the unit.

I present you, 3 videos. PLEASE ENJOY.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This REALLY IS the best 60-second interview I think I have ever seen post-game.

Jake in his previous life?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Could of gotten D'qwell Jackson. Money and cap space wouldn't of been an issue.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could of gotten D'qwell Jackson. Money and cap space wouldn't of been an issue.

And we didn't. It makes me believe TT has confidence in someone on the roster. Whether it was a mistake or not, it was clear he had confidence in a couple safeties last year. McMillian Jennings and Burnett. This year, it's not clear at all what he plans on doing at ILB position. There has been no talk of a competition or changing starters or anything. I wish we could hear some comments from MM about the position. They obviously had concerns about the safety position this year, targeting HaHa. And the pass rush, with peppers. They have shown no interest in upgrading the position so they are okay with either jones or a competition layout for the preseason and camp, we just don't know which yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well given that the Lions, Bears and Vikes have beefed up their receiving corps, I'd rather have a solid secondary. Clinton/Dix will help with that as well as the return of Heyward. Given our weakness at ILB, we're at a disadvantage against read-option teams like the Seahawks and Niners. I really don't think the Niners are going to have a great year with the friction between Harbaugh and management, but the Niners certainly helped themselves in the draft and FA. I'd be happy this year to at least make it to the NFC Championship, if not the SB. ILB will have to be addressed next year I guess. Although I was watching the tape on Bradford. If he can convert to ILB, could be another of TT's greater 4th round picks. Last year it was Bakhtiari who played very well. This year, maybe Bradford. Like I said I'm happy with the draft. TT learned from Ron Wolf's mistake and has given Rodgers a lot of weapons. That Davante Adams (right name?) catches everything. And while he's not all that fast, makes up for it with his moves. I think times in the 4o are overrated. Clinton/Dix is 4.58 or something, which seems plenty fast to me. Where he does is excel is as a field general, a defensive QB. A lot to ask from a new guy, but Alabama is as close to a farm system as the NFL gets. We'll see.

I´m absolutely fine with selecting Clinton-Dix in the first round as the secondary should improve with the addition of him and the return of Hayward. In addition I think an improved pass rush defense will help the defensive backs immensely. I´m disappointed though the ILB wasn´t addressed at all during free agency and the draft.

Just on a side note, don´t expect the tension between Harbaugh and the management to have any effect on the Niners play on the field.

The only way we see improvement at the position is if one of those guys down with an injury, and the Packers are forced to play someone else there.

I don´t see anyone on the roster being more talented than either Hawk or Jones though.

I don't know that we've moved guys around a lot on defense... I guess Brad Jones technically started out as an OLB - but he isn't much of a pass rusher, and at ILB he couldn't take on and shed my sister - so he's kind of "just a LB".

The flip side of moving guys around would be that Neal has looked good at LOLB. I love the idea of having an outlier kind of player at the LB positions, ala Neal at OLB, or a guy like Woodley in Pittsburgh, or Urlacher in Chicago. I'd like to pencil Neal in as the starter... but I doubt Capers will do that.

Perry was completely miscast as a LB, and he would be a glaring example; but the rest of the guys up front are simply misused. Our DL are better suited to playing a 4-3 than a 3-4... so whatta ya gonna do?? It isn't so much that guys are being moved around, it is that they are being misused from the gitgo.

Well, I think we have tried moving players around a lot to find another OLB opposite Matthews. This season they´re looking into moving Hyde from CB to safety and people are advocating moving Bradford to ILB. I agree Neal has looked good at LOLB, but he´s the exception to the rule.

He was moved to ILB not that long ago. TT and the scouting staff saw enough promise to give him an extension. Why it didn't work for him, I do not know.

Still have no idea what prompted Thompson to sign Jones to that deal.

Don't be so quick to sulk.
We might have the guy at ILB already on our roster who can take it a step up, plus inject some life into the unit.

It´s possible both Doughty and Thomas could make an impact at the position, but let them make it through the offseason program first before we declare them the solution at the position. There´s a reason they haven´t been drafted.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A) Still have no idea what prompted Thompson to sign Jones to that deal.

B) It´s possible both Doughty and Thomas could make an impact at the position, but let them make it through the offseason program first before we declare them the solution at the position.

C)There´s a reason they haven´t been drafted.
A) Me neither. Jones was a natural OUTside linebacker when Teddy grabbed him from Colorado round 7. I loved that pick then.

B) Hell, the way our team gets injuries, THAT might be the biggest factor who comes out on top by September...

C) True. Also were reasons Shields, Tramon, Kuhn, Lattimore weren't drafted either. I heard something like 30% of active players last year on NFL rosters were guys not drafted (I should have bookmarked that because it seems high). Remember, the draft used to be much longer. Now all those guys are UFA's. It's no shocker there are good guys not drafted.

D

Deleted member 6794

True. Also were reasons Shields, Tramon, Kuhn, Lattimore weren't drafted either. I heard something like 30% of active players last year on NFL rosters were guys not drafted (I should have bookmarked that because it seems high). Remember, the draft used to be much longer. Now all those guys are UFA's. It's no shocker there are good guys not drafted.

While I agree there are a lot of UDFAs playing in the league we won´t hear of most of the guys the Packers signed after the draft this week ever again after camp.

Right now I don´t have the time to check the number of UDFAs on every team in the league for last season, but 25 of the 64 (39.1%) players that were at least once on the active roster for the Packers last season were undrafted.

Members online

Latest posts