Reaction score
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2014ILB.php

Free agents still available.

UDFA:
Joe Thomas
Jake doughty

Position Switch or in house:
Carl Bradford
Nate Palmer (don't like this but saw on another forum)
Sam barrington
Jamari Lattimore
AJ hawk (obviously one of the starters)
Brad jones :(

What would you all be in favor of, realistically looking at our options?
I'm sure I missed some so if your guy isn't listed, go ahead and let me know. Have at it everyone. I know this is a highly concerned about topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I think Lattimore has potential, but has too much left to learn about coverage to step in this year. I think Bradford would work out at ILB. But I don't think the packers will begin with him there, so him being a starter in week 1 is unrealistic. I like joe Thomas a lot and I think he could make a push and surprise some people. I would PREFER Bradford making the switch from the start. But I think it will be brad jones starting in weeks 1-3 maybe 4 and Bradford stepping in when Jones miserably fails. Unless Lattimore had a hell of an offseason and is a lot more ready than I see him being.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrell manning has been released. Any chance GB brings him back maybe to compete? I remember he grumbled about becoming the best ILB in the NFL. At least he doesn't lack confidence. Lol

D

Deleted member 6794

The realistic options at ILB at the moment are Hawk and Jones. It´s possible some of the undrafted rookie could provide some help, but let them hit the field first before we declare them viable options. Manning has proved that he´s not capable of helping this team.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The realistic options at ILB at the moment are Hawk and Jones. It´s possible some of the undrafted rookie could provide some help, but let them hit the field first before we declare them viable options. Manning has proved that he´s not capable of helping this team.

Any of those free agents that are left you interested in? The very few left.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need an ILB who can rush the passer. Haven't had that since Bishop. It looks like it's not going to be addressed this year. People have posted that Jones was coming on near the end of the year last year. I didn't notice that. Anyone agree? Based on what I saw Lattimore was the best option at ILB.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might have to bring in help via Free Agency. Or like I said earlier.. The rook from ASU may steal the job. He doesn't lack intensity that's for sure.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
TT has this season pinned on the play of Jones. He will get every chance to fail first. Hawk will ride off to the sunset in a few years and will need to be greatly outplayed to be demoted before then. Nobody on this roster has yet shown that capability. Lattimore was embarrassed last season in his chance at greater playing time. Hopefully he learned from that and moves on to greater things.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jones is garbage, if he's the 2nd best option available in the middle we have bigger issues then I thought. Hopefully one of the younger guys just need more experience and can emerge in camp. Tired of seeing two stiffs at ilb.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People have posted that Jones was coming on near the end of the year last year. I didn't notice that. Anyone agree? Based on what I saw Lattimore was the best option at ILB.

I'm not sure if I say his play improve late, but it wouldn't entirely surprise me.

I seem to recall Jones got hurt early--sprained ankle? Hamstring? Whatever it was, it happened early in the season. He never looked the same after that. So it is possible that whatever was ailing him had a chance to heal and he played better.

I'm not saying he's All World or anything, just that he didn't look the same by his standards after the injury. He's pretty quick and normally able to run well enough in coverage. He couldn't do that last year.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Comparing Jones, Lattimore. Barrington, and Manning and Hawk etc etc is a depressing task. Does it really matter which two are out there? It all looks the same to me.

I'm hoping they make some kind of move or TT hit a home run with one of the young guys he brought in or Bradford finds his natural position at ILB.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I say his play improve late, but it wouldn't entirely surprise me.

I seem to recall Jones got hurt early--sprained ankle? Hamstring? Whatever it was, it happened early in the season. He never looked the same after that. So it is possible that whatever was ailing him had a chance to heal and he played better.

I'm not saying he's All World or anything, just that he didn't look the same by his standards after the injury. He's pretty quick and normally able to run well enough in coverage. He couldn't do that last year.

It was a hammy and he was in and out of the lineup pretty much every game after that. He was playing well before the injury too. Outside of a couple games he never played as well after he got hurt, it obviously had some impact on him. The thing is he's not really the game changer type Bishop was so if he gets slowed by an injury he goes from average/good to awful instead of great to average. If he's healthy we can have a good defense with him in there and ideally we'll improve on him at some point but I don't think it's really the desperate need some people are acting like it is.

D

Deleted member 6794

It was a hammy and he was in and out of the lineup pretty much every game after that. He was playing well before the injury too. Outside of a couple games he never played as well after he got hurt, it obviously had some impact on him. The thing is he's not really the game changer type Bishop was so if he gets slowed by an injury he goes from average/good to awful instead of great to average. If he's healthy we can have a good defense with him in there and ideally we'll improve on him at some point but I don't think it's really the desperate need some people are acting like it is.

I agree that Jones played better before injuring his hamstring vs. the Lions early in the season. But even if he´s healthy an upgrade is needed at the position.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Jones played better before injuring his hamstring vs. the Lions early in the season. But even if he´s healthy an upgrade is needed at the position.

Not to pick nits, but I think you can say that about every position on the roster, save quarterback.

I'd like a better ILB, but I believe that a healthy Jones is enough. Not ideal, but sufficient.

H

HardRightEdge

McCarthy said Bradford will be an OLB. That statement was unqualified. They see him as an edge rusher. With Matthews' durability issues, Peppers being no spring chicken and Perry of uncertain value it would be prudent to have a guy who can get after it in reserve.

It's hard enough for a DE to make the switch to 3-4 OLB; harder still to adjust to 3-4 ILB coverage responsibility. I don't see him considered for ILB until at least 2015, if ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy could be the guy. I loved watching him play in college and he was a dominating force in the middle. Sounds like he is 100 percent.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...ore-regional-combine-20140330,0,1622909.story

Sounds like more of a feel-good story. He reminds me a lot of a young Paris Lenon though and that's not a bad thing at all. I just hope he has his confidence back from those injuries. Sounds like he was really shaken up. When we was originally projected, he was said to be drafted in the late rounds as a steal. They said he had a lot of versatility, because he could play all LB positions in a 4-3 or both ILB positions in a 3-4. The guy could make the roster but it's a long shot saying he may be the starter next to Hawk this year. Not saying impossible but not likely.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy said Bradford will be an OLB. That statement was unqualified. They see him as an edge rusher. With Matthews' durability issues, Peppers being no spring chicken and Perry of uncertain value it would be prudent to have a guy who can get after it in reserve.

It's hard enough for a DE to make the switch to 3-4 OLB; harder still to adjust to 3-4 ILB coverage responsibility. I don't see him considered for ILB until at least 2015, if ever.
Bradford played a lot of LB and DE in college and DID have coverage responsibility. Watch some TAPE not highlights and you'll see what I mean.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Sounds like more of a feel-good story. He reminds me a lot of a young Paris Lenon though and that's not a bad thing at all. I just hope he has his confidence back from those injuries. Sounds like he was really shaken up. When we was originally projected, he was said to be drafted in the late rounds as a steal. They said he had a lot of versatility, because he could play all LB positions in a 4-3 or both ILB positions in a 3-4. The guy could make the roster but it's a long shot saying he may be the starter next to Hawk this year. Not saying impossible but not likely.

Paris Lennon is 36. It's obviously a wait and see but if Hartsfield has regained confidence in knee and regained speed I wouldn't call him a long shot at all beating out Jones. The guy was an animal and he is still very young.

H

HardRightEdge

Bradford played a lot of LB and DE in college and DID have coverage responsibility. Watch some TAPE not highlights and you'll see what I mean.

Post a link. I'd like to see him cover somebody.

I suppose from your disagreement you believe he could step right in and play 3-4 ILB in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree Bradford’s transition to ILB would be tough and it would require him to start at that position ASAP for him to have any chance of challenging for a starting spot this season. Of course if he’s a force rushing the passer from OLB, that’s where he belongs.

I wish Lattimore was more consistent at ILB because he does have the speed to cover. Of course it would be great if an UDFA like Thomas could challenge for a starting spot, but just making the roster – probably on STs – is a more realistic goal. Barrington should have a better shot – he beat out Terrell Manning, who they liked enough to trade up for. But I don’t believe he played a snap from scrimmage last season.

IMO it’s unlikely they’ll bring in another player at ILB so I hope the rest of the D is improved enough to make for the deficiencies at ILB. A less realistic hope is someone steps up to take Jones' spot.

OP
OP
D

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Post a link. I'd like to see him cover somebody.

I suppose from your disagreement you believe he could step right in and play 3-4 ILB in the NFL.

Didn't say that. I just think if he started there in camp, by week 4 or 5 he would be ready. I'll find a link

Members online

Latest posts