A little more on the "G" logo

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am whole-heartedly against changing the logo, but what about the jerseys?

We need a blue and gold jersey of the same design of our present ones. Use 'em for special games.

I don't like any of the "throwbacks", but the blue and gold were our colors until the late 1950s.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Wasn't there a section in the Hall of Fame at Lambeau which gave the story behind Brashier designing it in the hotel room?

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't there a section in the Hall of Fame at Lambeau which gave the story behind Brashier designing it in the hotel room?

Former long time Packer equipment 'Dad" Brashier lived in a room in the Union Hotel in De Pere for many years.

At Vince Lombardi's order , Brashier designed a logo for Packer helmet in his hotel room. Packers at that time had no logo on their helmet.

Brashier brought his design of logo G to Lombardi. Lombardi approved it and ordered Brashier to put the logo G on the Packers' helmets .

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Former long time Packer equipment 'Dad" Brashier lived in a room in the Union Hotel in De Pere for many years.

At Vince Lombardi's order , Brashier designed a logo for Packer helmet in his hotel room. Packers at that time had no logo on their helmet.

Brashier brought his design of logo G to Lombardi. Lombardi approved it and ordered Brashier to put the logo G on the Packers' helmets .
I wonder if the G was the first design.
I would love to get a look at some of the drafts for other ideas if there were.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as I know , "Dad Brashier submitted one logo design to Vince Lombardi. And Vince accepted the present G logo design.

KCPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in the late 90s, a friend of mine worked for a marketing company that worked with professional and college teams on designing logos, building brands, etc and he told me that the Packers had hired their company to design a new logo and even consider changing the colors and that the team would be unveiling a new color scheme and logo for the 2000 season. I told him that it there was no way they would be doing that. Obviously it never took place and by the time 2000 rolled around he no longer worked there so of course he made excuses that they had probably backed out on the project. He was a Cowboys fan so I am sure he was probably pulling my leg but it definitely concerned me for awhile.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Back in the late 90s, a friend of mine worked for a marketing company that worked with professional and college teams on designing logos, building brands, etc and he told me that the Packers had hired their company to design a new logo and even consider changing the colors and that the team would be unveiling a new color scheme and logo for the 2000 season. I told him that it there was no way they would be doing that. Obviously it never took place and by the time 2000 rolled around he no longer worked there so of course he made excuses that they had probably backed out on the project. He was a Cowboys fan so I am sure he was probably pulling my leg but it definitely concerned me for awhile.

Your friend is right, the Packers have been rumored to change their colors, more or less the yellow to gold. The logo is new, but that was supposed to happen in 1994ish.

I am the minority that thinks the Packers should update themselves soon. While the Packers jersey is near perfection, I really would love to see the Packers enter in a new era. A lot of teams find it as a way to revamp the franchise, and after the loss we had this year I think it would be a perfect time. Here is what I think would be a great offering, since its a win/win scenario.

Packers come up with a new home jersey something that they haven't done, that is new, let the minds that are developing this team come up with their way to show it. I would love for them to somehow push the fact the Packers are the best team in the NFL. Maybe have gold or silver trim on the numbers, 13 stripes or something.

Have their away jerseys be either their current jersey design or one from the 60's. Have this represent the Packers Lombardi to McCarthy's SB past, the rough tough years of the team. Sure our away jerseys may not look like our home jerseys but if any team could pull it off the Packers could.(Though I do like the 94' throwbacks, keep what the Packers do best. )

Then have their throwbacks, always wear a throwback each season to tribute Lambeau's Packers, the ones that got it done in the starting years.

But that is my soapbox and I am sticking to it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your friend is right, the Packers have been rumored to change their colors, more or less the yellow to gold. The logo is new, but that was supposed to happen in 1994ish.

I am the minority that thinks the Packers should update themselves soon. While the Packers jersey is near perfection, I really would love to see the Packers enter in a new era. A lot of teams find it as a way to revamp the franchise, and after the loss we had this year I think it would be a perfect time. Here is what I think would be a great offering, since its a win/win scenario.

Packers come up with a new home jersey something that they haven't done, that is new, let the minds that are developing this team come up with their way to show it. I would love for them to somehow push the fact the Packers are the best team in the NFL. Maybe have gold or silver trim on the numbers, 13 stripes or something.

Have their away jerseys be either their current jersey design or one from the 60's. Have this represent the Packers Lombardi to McCarthy's SB past, the rough tough years of the team. Sure our away jerseys may not look like our home jerseys but if any team could pull it off the Packers could.(Though I do like the 94' throwbacks, keep what the Packers do best. )

Then have their throwbacks, always wear a throwback each season to tribute Lambeau's Packers, the ones that got it done in the starting years.

But that is my soapbox and I am sticking to it.
If it's the team owner who makes final decisions on changing teams colors and logo designs then that's how it should be for the Packers as well.
They could run it at by everyone at the annual mtg. or have everyone vote by mail.
Included would be the current design.
I'm not a shareholder but I think that would be the most fair to the fans.

The Packers are community minded so if they didn't let fans or shareholders/owners have any input then imo this would show that they are just like every other greedy owned team when it comes to uni. choices.

There not going to change anything anytime soon, but if they did I would like to see Tie-Dyed Green and Yellow jerseys and day-glo green helmets.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
If it's the team owner who makes final decisions on changing teams colors and logo designs then that's how it should be for the Packers as well.

Generally its a coach or GM decision. Owner's can give their input and say they want it, but usually GM's or Coaches do it to try and make their mark.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Generally its a coach or GM decision. Owner's can give their input and say they want it, but usually GM's or Coaches do it to try and make their mark.
"

From 1919 to 1968 it was Packer head coaches/General Managers ,who decided the Packer uniform design. however, from 1968 to early 1990's, there was very little change in Packer uniform design except for the stripping of the Packer uniform.

However in early 1990's, when Ron Wolf became general manager/Director of Football operation, Ron decided to try to change the Packer uniform design. Ron had photos of the new uniform design. Wolf made a new uniform presentation to The Packers Executive . The Packer Executive Committee turn down Ron Wolf's proposal for a new Packer uniform design
Since then, there has been no move to by anyone in Packer management to change to Packer uniform design.

However, the decision of 1929 Packer Blue /Gold throwback uniform design was approved by everyone in Packer top management from the Packer Executive Committee , Packer President/CEO Mark Murphy , Packer GM/Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson, Packer head Coach Mike McCarthy and the NFL.

The Green Bay Packers , Inc by laws adopted in 1923 in The Green Bay Packers, Inc. Articles of Incorporation which was filed with the State of Wisconsin in 1923, only allows Packer shareholders to vote in electing members to Packer Board of Directors..

KCPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I am against changing back to gold as a color. I just find gold to be a hideous color.

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a hobbiest graphic designer I kinda like new designs. But logos are not to be messed with. I did like the nice glossy effect they put on those logos. The second one was my favorite. I only gave the current logo a 3d effect.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Now I DO like the new uniforms that a lot of college teams are wearing these days. The Oregon Ducks have some great ones. I'd like to see more of that progressive design in NFL uniforms. Just leave the logos alone... for the most part.

Members online

Latest posts