A little more on the "G" logo

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tried to look up some evidence of the "G", but couldn't find any on what the G stands for. I think this blog has it right:

The Wearing Of the Green (and Gold): helmet logo

Thursday, February 3, 2011

"G" Stands For "Gullible"

Several readers have emailed me about this video making the rounds, with Tiki Barber "schooling" the current Packers on the origins of their helmet logo.

So now we know - "Dad" Braisher meant the "G" to stand for "Greatness," not "Green Bay". A little extra motivation from Vince Lombardi to his players, What a fascinating discovery. The unknown tale behind an iconic logo, so little-known that the team itself isn't aware of it. What a great story.

There's just one problem.

It's not true.

It's not supported. There's no source. Not as though there's a lack of material on the subject. Dozens if not hundreds of books on Lombardi's tenure somehow managed to miss this factoid, and I can't find any contemporary evidence to support it. Where did Tiki get that idea? Wikipedia, of course.

It's gone now, but the Packers page used to include this little nugget. Or, heck, it might be back again, as dedicated editors have to keep removing it.

A Google search pulls up pages of results, all of which are recent and all of which lead... right back to Barber. Or to Wikipedia.

This is my problem with Wikipedia. It's a great clearing house for references; read up on a subject and follow the sources, but don't believe anything that isn't supported. Sure, eventually much of the misleading or outright false information will eventually be removed. But until it is, those false claims are picked up and repeated as fact by lazy journalists.

Or even by lazy former football players-turned-journalists.

BigBayBlues

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's even more appalling is that graphic designers recommendations to change the "G" logo further down the page. Those are hideous!

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. They've got to leave the only helmet logo we've had alone.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I did think it was strange that I never heard that before,.. but I liked the way the Packer player ( I can't remember which one) called out Tiki "Did YOU know that??" and he had to admit, he did not.

I agree ...I don't mind if they say it stands for "Greatness"! since we are making things up, I'll add

it stands for....

"Greatness knows itself"

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or how about Go Pack Go!

I prefer to think it stands for Green Bay.
That is their home and it just seems more genuine.
Greatness seems arrogant.
IMO

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Personally, I think they shouldn't change the logo at all. The "G" logo is iconic, worn by the same team that won 5 championships in the '60s. A single look at the logo and you see the rich history of the team, and its traditions. Changing it would be a sacrilege.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here.

Personally, I think they shouldn't change the logo at all. The "G" logo is iconic, worn by the same team that won 5 championships in the '60s. A single look at the logo and you see the rich history of the team, and its traditions. Changing it would be a sacrilege.

ah yes those....I remember the JS posting those up a couple years ago...forget the reason that they were doing it, think it was some dude that thought that the Packers needed a new logo or some ****

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have read in several books that Dad came up with it and unless someone with authority on the matter tells me differently I am going with that.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ah yes those....I remember the JS posting those up a couple years ago...forget the reason that they were doing it, think it was some dude that thought that the Packers needed a new logo or some ****
I think it was some dude who thinks he needs some new money.

If the Packers really wanted to change the logo, then I would hope or think they would let us know and have a contest or ask for feedback since it is a community owned team.

In the meantime, leave it alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a reason why someone would even think of "fixing" it. As for it standing for "greatness" that's ridiculous. It stands for Green Bay and it doesn't have a "B" in it, that's because G & B don't fit neatly into a football shape. If you need proof of that, look at those three proposed logos.
Otherwise they'd have probably used the Superman "S" logo instead, which is more fitting.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, a lot of ******** in that thread were acting like they knew along. Those people should be kicked off this board honestly.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a reason why someone would even think of "fixing" it. As for it standing for "greatness" that's ridiculous. It stands for Green Bay and it doesn't have a "B" in it, that's because G & B don't fit neatly into a football shape. If you need proof of that, look at those three proposed logos.
Otherwise they'd have probably used the Superman "S" logo instead, which is more fitting.
And I think the old school GB, with them overlapping, looks jumbled.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Snow Plow, since we are talking team logos here, what do you prefer for the Pats?
The old school minute man about to hike or the newer super fast looking flash minute man head?
Me: I prefer the hiker, must be a long snapper since no one is behind him.
You?

Members online

Latest posts