A little love for Mason Crosby?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
would let him walk away in free agency. It's strange that a lot of posters agree with that strategy when talking about Jones but don't consider it a smart approach with a kicker.

Well there is quite a difference between paying Jones $12M+/year VS paying an UNDFA RB for 4 years. The difference between Crosby's salary and an UDFA isn't nearly as much over that same time frame.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well there is quite a difference between paying Jones $12M+/year VS paying an UNDFA RB for 4 years. The difference between Crosby's salary and an UDFA isn't nearly as much over that same time frame.
not to mention the fact that replacing a running back can be done incrementally. The eventual replacement can be on the team taking a few snaps here and there while you evaluate him. Teams don’t do that with a kicker. Replacing Crosby is a huge roll of the dice. One option spend a few million (very few in the grand scheme)...and have what everyone but Wimm recognizes as a reliable kicker.... or cut him... save a few bucks and hope you guessed right on the replacement.

D

Deleted member 6794

Of course there's a difference but a running back is significantly more important than a kicker. Yet most fans agree it's smart not paying a RB elite money compared to other players at the position but don't take the same approach with Crosby for some unknown reason.

One option spend a few million (very few in the grand scheme)...and have what everyone but Wimm recognizes as a reliable kicker.... or cut him... save a few bucks and hope you guessed right on the replacement.

Once again, the numbers don't support that Crosby is a reliable kicker by any means.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course there's a difference but a running back is significantly more important than a kicker. Yet most fans agree it's smart not paying a RB elite money compared to other players at the position but don't take the same approach with Crosby for some unknown reason.

Once again, the numbers don't support that Crosby is a reliable kicker by any means.
They most certainly do. The best you have ever been able to do is present statistics that show that he makes the vast majority of his kicks while claiming that he is at best average to slightly below average when compared to other proven NFL kickers. You are pretty much alone trying to claim that those numbers do not support the claim that he is reliable.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
NFL teams do not keep unreliable anything on their roster for 13 years and running.

D

Deleted member 6794

They most certainly do. The best you have ever been able to do is present statistics that show that he makes the vast majority of his kicks while claiming that he is at best average to slightly below average when compared to other proven NFL kickers. You are pretty much alone trying to claim that those numbers do not support the claim that he is reliable.

Of course it only makes sense to compare him to other NFL kickers. Every single metric I have provided proves that Crosby is an average kicker at best. I don't know why all of you continue to ignore that.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Because the difference in money saved from RB to kicker can mean a reliable starter as opposed to an average backup at another position.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't know all the stats sites, but I'd be interested to see the ratio of important kicks kicks that he's made versus missed. As with everything in sports, 'important' is subjective, so I'll leave that up to whoever can dig out the results, but I think most of us have a pretty good idea of what that is.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Of course it only makes sense to compare him to other NFL kickers. Every single metric I have provided proves that Crosby is an average kicker at best. I don't know why all of you continue to ignore that.
Does your metrics include his kickoffs? It should factor into the equation of choosing your kicker. Crosby is paid well because of longevity, reliability and the staff’s confidence in him. Crosby has earned that confidence over the years. Some of our punters over the years clearly have not. When you get a good one, you keep him.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does your metrics include his kickoffs? It should factor into the equation of choosing your kicker. Crosby is paid well because of longevity, reliability and the staff’s confidence in him. Crosby has earned that confidence over the years. Some of our punters over the years clearly have not. When you get a good one, you keep him.
and in this usage... confidence is synonymous with reliability.

D

Deleted member 6794

Because the difference in money saved from RB to kicker can mean a reliable starter as opposed to an average backup at another position.

It would still make more sense to use the money saved by having a kicker on a rookie deal on another position.

Don't know all the stats sites, but I'd be interested to see the ratio of important kicks kicks that he's made versus missed. As with everything in sports, 'important' is subjective, so I'll leave that up to whoever can dig out the results, but I think most of us have a pretty good idea of what that is.

Crosby is an average clutch kicker as well.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/e...nition of a clutch,extra points for 2015-2019.

Does your metrics include his kickoffs? It should factor into the equation of choosing your kicker.

Seriously??? There are hardly any kickoff returns anymore cause nearly every kicker in the league is capable of putting the ball in the end zone.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It would still make more sense to use the money saved by having a kicker on a rookie deal on another position.

Afraid that I might be opening a can of worms, but here goes. Do you feel the same way about Punters and long snappers?

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all you know I was exaggerating by posting that the Packers could use a different kicker on a rookie deal every single game.

Though it seems like a couple teams are trying this, though not by choice.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why is this still a debate?

Capt doesnt want him...others do..

Let it go

And so a Hre clone doesnt cry.

Im telling everyone to just respect each other and let it go

Lol

Wait, what? Let what go? This is a Packer football debate. No different than the one that has been raging for years about Rodgers or the ones that raged about Capers, McCarthy, Janis, etc.

I don't get your beef with this thread, should we only talk about what you are comfortable with us talking about?

Come on man, you are better than that!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait, what? Let what go? This is a Packer football debate. No different than the one that has been raging for years about Rodgers or the ones that raged about Capers, McCarthy, Janis, etc.

I don't get your beef with this thread, should we only talk about what you are comfortable with us talking about?

Agreed ... everybody is being civil with each other. We don’t agree with Captain..but I don’t think anyone is angry about it... it’s just like any of a million other topics that we rehash over and over. I actually like a lot of those because the more creative people get with their argument the more fun it can be.... I have even changed my mind on the occasional issue if someone makes an argument I hadn’t thought of... although I will arrogantly claim that to be rare occasion lol.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agreed ... everybody is being civil with each other. We don’t agree with Captain..but I don’t think anyone is angry about it... it’s just like any of a million other topics that we rehash over and over. I actually like a lot of those because the more creative people get with their argument the more fun it can be.... I have even changed my mind on the occasional issue if someone makes an argument I hadn’t thought of... although I will arrogantly claim that to be rare occasion lol.

Exactly. The Capers thread was classic and a great history of the roller coaster ride that his career took, but more importantly a perspective from the fans who rode with him. Same with Janis, Favre, on and on. Imagine if after the first Star Wars movie was made, someone said "STOP, its been done before, no more!!" :cool::eek:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Was joking

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Was joking

Then I think you should kindly remove your post :coffee: <insert wry grin here>

Whenever you talk to Shaggy again, I wonder if he could work on getting us a "sarcasm emoji". This has been talked about for years and might be helpful. Personally, I always use this one :coffee: but people might not get that either.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely believe there's no reason to overpay for a punter, let alone a long snapper.
Hell, it is never good to overpay. But you have to pay if you want to feel secure. We had bad punters for long stretches at times. It is not worth it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hell, it is never good to overpay. But you have to pay if you want to feel secure. We had bad punters for long stretches at times. It is not worth it.

The Packers have had a terrible defense for most of the past 10 seasons. That's the unit the money should be used on.

I am just glad that ever since we drafted Crosby, we haven't overpaid on a K. :whistling:

If only there would be any truth to it ;)

Members online

Latest posts