A little love for Mason Crosby?

D

Deleted member 6794

And since 2012, he's 89.5% under 50. I'm not saying he's all time great. I'm saying he is solid.

That's average as well, ranking 15th among 31 kickers with at least 100 such kicks since 2013.

Do you have a link on the opposing kickers in Lambeau?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/kicking.htm

Here's a link to Crosby's stats at Lambeau. He has made 81.6% of his field goal attempts with an average distance of 37.95 yards.

https://stathead.com/tiny/HRWap

And here's the link to how opposing kickers have done in Green Bay. 82.5% of field made with a higher average distance of 38.28 yards.

https://stathead.com/tiny/Qsvzt

Not sure what website you are looking at but since field goal kickers total have AVERAGED 84.49% while Mason Crosby has averaged 85.6%.

Again I'll state it is very impressive he's even above average considering basically 2/3 of teams have a much easier kicking situations than he does.

Crosby has made only 81.4% of his field goals during his career though. He's not an above average kicker.

Like it or not, kicking is a HUGE position in the NFL.

I'm fully aware of that. But that doesn't change my opinion that the Packers have overpaid for an average kicker for a long time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That's average as well, ranking 15th among 31 kickers with at least 100 such kicks since 2013.

Here's a link to Crosby's stats at Lambeau. He has made 81.6% of his field goal attempts with an average distance of 37.95 yards.

And here's the link to how opposing kickers have done in Green Bay. 82.5% of field made with a higher average distance of 38.28 yards.

Crosby has made only 81.4% of his field goals during his career though. He's not an above average kicker.

I'm fully aware of that. But that doesn't change my opinion that the Packers have overpaid for an average kicker for a long time.
So crosby had 206 atts, and other opposing kickers att 171 times?

And out of the 171 atts. 31 times the kickers only had one att in that game. Better odds for those kickers..

Isnt that just a little skewed?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And out of the 171 atts. 31 times the kickers only had one att in that game. Better odds for those kickers..

yes, that is the answer.

Mason has had basically a bad year and a half in his career. One was terrible, but he's been good enough outside of it to actually be allowed to work thru it, where most others when they struggled were gone.

Mason has been pretty good for most of his career and outside of that one year when we line up to kick I never have to feel like MN fans, or Bears or any other number of teams do.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
yes, that is the answer.

Mason has had basically a bad year and a half in his career. One was terrible, but he's been good enough outside of it to actually be allowed to work thru it, where most others when they struggled were gone.

Mason has been pretty good for most of his career and outside of that one year when we line up to kick I never have to feel like MN fans, or Bears or any other number of teams do.
Personally..I like to toss out best year and worse year...sometimes outliers really.skew stuff

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

You keep talking about the 31 kickers with 100 plus kicks. How many had less than 100? And why?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You keep talking about the 31 kickers with 100 plus kicks. How many had less than 100? And why?
That is the real key to this that is being conveniently ignored. Maybe Crosby is only average among the kickers that have endured... but that is judging him against the rest of the elite kickers that he is a part of. The ones that have fewer kicks were eliminated from the discussion... But they are part of the pool we would have to choose from if we were to attempt to replace him. The Bet that Pokerbrat has with the Captain is predicated on this point.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

That is the real key to this that is being conveniently ignored. Maybe Crosby is only average among the kickers that have endured... but that is judging him against the rest of the elite kickers that he is a part of. The ones that have fewer kicks were eliminated from the discussion... But they are part of the pool we would have to choose from if we were to attempt to replace him. The Bet that Pokerbrat has with the Captain is predicated on this point.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

I counted a total of 40 times an opposing kicker took only one field goal in a game at Lambeau since 2007. Those kickers only made 29 attempts for a percentage of 72.5%.

Therefore if I ignore those games the situation looks even more bleak for Crosby.

Actually 52 kickers have attempted more than 100 field goals since 2007. I use that number as it's considered as mimimum requirement to be included in the list for career field goal percentage.

FYI there have been another 54 kickers with less than 100 attempts and even 22 among this group have a better career percentage than Crosby.

Maybe Crosby is only average among the kickers that have endured... but that is judging him against the rest of the elite kickers that he is a part of.

Crosby being 45th out of the 52 kickers in FG percentage with at least 100 attempts strongly indicates strongly indicates he's not average among long tenured kickers.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I counted a total of 40 times an opposing kicker took only one field goal in a game at Lambeau since 2007. Those kickers only made 29 attempts for a percentage of 72.5%.

Therefore if I ignore those games the situation looks even more bleak for Crosby.

Actually 52 kickers have attempted more than 100 field goals since 2007. I use that number as it's considered as mimimum requirement to be included in the list for career field goal percentage.

FYI there have been another 54 kickers with less than 100 attempts and even 22 among this group have a better career percentage than Crosby.

Crosby being 45th out of the 52 kickers in FG percentage with at least 100 attempts strongly indicates strongly indicates he's not average among long tenured kickers.

This is getting very circular... I don’t expect to convince you. Perhaps you should understand that you are unlikely to convince the rest of us either lol.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is getting very circular... I don’t expect to convince you. Perhaps you should understand that you are unlikely to convince the rest of us either lol.

however... i’ll just take your word for it that he is average... or not....or....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Therefore if I ignore those games the situation looks even more bleak for CrosbY.

Maybe im tired?

But I do t see 40 or even the 31 I had before.

Only 15 now?

D

Deleted member 6794

I know that I won't be able to convince anyone about Crosby not being an above average kicker. I'm surprised by it though as most fans aren't as forgiving with any other player on the team.

Maybe im tired?

But I do t see 40 or even the 31 I had before.

Only 15 now?

You were talking about games in which opposing kickers had only one attempt before.

Now you're looking at their career totals at Lambeau though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hit 22 of 24 last year and is 8 for 8 this year. That's 30 out of his last 32. Since the Detroit fiasco a couple of years back, he's been as good as anybody. Just wanted to give him a shoutout. He's a high character guy, a good Packer.
I don't think Crosby has ever gotten the recognition he deserves. And I don't care about stats. All I know is that when he's needed, he almost always delivers.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you have a link on the opposing kickers in Lambeau?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/kicking.htm

Not sure what website you are looking at but since field goal kickers total have AVERAGED 84.49% while Mason Crosby has averaged 85.6%.

I'll list the franchises where it's clearly easier to kick field goals at than Green Bay. I'm also including teams where their division opponents mostly play in domes/warm weather.

Minnesota, Detroit, Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, LA Rams, 49ers, Cardinals, Seahawks (close but due to division opponent stadiums), Dallas, Miami, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Indianapolis, Houston, Denver (altitude), Oakland, Chargers, Kansas City (it's close but divisional opponents and KC still nicer weather than GB). 20 teams.

Again I'll state it is very impressive he's even above average considering basically 2/3 of teams have a much easier kicking situations than he does.

Like it or not, kicking is a HUGE position in the NFL. If you think he's overpaid then fine, just don't come back upset at me when a Blair Walsh or a Cody Parkey situation happens in Green Bay. Bills have a Super Bowl if they make a kick.
Good point. A lot of other teams would be happy to have Crosby. And kicking is a huge part in determining Ws and Ls.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is Ford/Chevy or Trump/Biden for whatever reason. You're either for Crosby or against him and there does not appear to be any changing of the minds.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is Ford/Chevy or Trump/Biden for whatever reason. You're either for Crosby or against him and there does not appear to be any changing of the minds.
Agreed. We should probably stop commenting on it. No one's mind is gonna be changed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Which is why I wear this, everywhere I go. :coffee:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I know that I won't be able to convince anyone about Crosby not being an above average kicker. I'm surprised by it though as most fans aren't as forgiving with any other player on the team.

You were talking about games in which opposing kickers had only one attempt before.

Now you're looking at their career totals at Lambeau though.
Capt, I’m really curious about this. Of the guys currently kicking and that have been kicking since 2010, which ones do you wish were the Packers kicker instead of Crosby?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Capt, I’m really curious about this. Of the guys currently kicking and that have been kicking since 2010, which ones do you wish were the Packers kicker instead of Crosby?

A guy that cost $1.99 :roflmao::roflmao:

Oooops, sorry, you asked Captain. :speechless:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing with FG attempts is that just a few misses can mean the difference between a top 10 or bottom 10 kicker percentage wise. That's why in some cases pure numbers don't mean as much to me (drops by a WR is another)

As I have said in other threads, maybe even this one, I have never had that feeling of dread when Crosby came onto the field that he was going to miss a kick simply because he was Mason Crosby.

With some players there is that "oh crap" moment when you realize the game is on the line and you really have no confidence that he is going to get the job done. I've never felt that way about Crosby.

I have felt, on a few occasions, like " he is going to miss this one because its not the Packers day". But I don't think I have ever felt like "Mason Crosby is going to miss this one because he is Mason Crosby" if that makes any sense.

As a fan, watching the game for entertainment purposes, that is very important to me. I never want to feel like my guy can't get the job done. Unless you enjoy expecting your team to lose it defeats the entire purpose of watching. That is why I feel, despite what the numbers may say, Mason Crosby has been an above average kicker and IMO worth what he is being paid.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The thing with FG attempts is that just a few misses can mean the difference between a top 10 or bottom 10 kicker percentage wise. That's why in some cases pure numbers don't mean as much to me (drops by a WR is another)

I would also add that a FG kicker isn't out there all alone, he is relying on 10 other guys, especially the LS and holder. Obviously this is the same for all kickers, but the stats don't show why the kick was missed, just that it was a miss or make. Was it a bad snap, a bad hold, someone missed a block, etc. Again, I do realize this is something all kickers face, but like you said, a few misses can be the difference between a top 10 or bottom 10 and there have been some time periods where Crosby was going through some growing pains with his holder.

Members online

Latest posts