A little love for Mason Crosby?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I should have selected the consensus pick for best kicker available in our contest but tried to get cute. My bad.

It is starting to look like you might be soon paying the price for that decision. I was so hoping that the Packers would bring "your guy" in. I mean how exciting would that have been? Imagine had he kicked Mason out of a job! I will give the script to someone in Hollywood. ;)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK so I missed the bet. I know Poker has Crosby but who did Captain take and what was the bet.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
considering his playing streak, I think it is safe to say that if he can kick; he will be out there.

I heard one of the Packer media guys talking about winds of 30-40 MPH being predicted during the game tomorrow. He felt that if that happens, the Packers may not kick many FG's and Scott would be in charge of the kickoffs. Let's hope Scott has to kick the ball off 10 or so times. :tup:

D

Deleted member 6794

OK so I missed the bet. I know Poker has Crosby but who did Captain take and what was the bet.

Poker suggested that I should select an undrafted kicker right after the draft and that we will decide the winner of the bet by which of them is more successful this season.

Unfortunately I didn't just stick with Blankenship but chose Dominik Eberle instead who is currently stuck on the Raiders practice squad.

Poker will have the chance to create a signature for me once the season is done.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poker suggested that I should select an undrafted kicker right after the draft and that we will decide the winner of the bet by which of them is more successful this season.

Unfortunately I didn't just stick with Blankenship but chose Dominik Eberle instead who is currently stuck on the Raiders practice squad.

Poker will have the chance to create a signature for me once the season is done.
How long will you be required to keep it ? lol

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure we have decided on that yet.

That’s a fun bet. Very risky too. I think projecting kickers and punters is a dicey proposition normally. Most are very similar it seems.

D

Deleted member 6794

That’s a fun bet. Very risky too. I think projecting kickers and punters is a dicey proposition normally. Most are very similar it seems.

True, the drop-off from a veteran kicker to another on a rookie deal is marginal in most cases. That's the reason it's mind-boggling the Packers and most fans don't have an issue with the team having used an additional $15 million of cap space over the past four years for an average kicker at best.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Explains the mysterious packages of COVID infused brownies that Raiders K Daniel Carlson keeps receiving, postmarked from a P.O. Box in Austria. :cautious: :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
True, the drop-off from a veteran kicker to another on a rookie deal is marginal in most cases.

You mean the drop-off between between a rookie that actually makes the team and a veteran? And by "marginal" do you mean that missed kick that loses a game and eliminates said K's team from the playoffs? Ironically, the K your guy is behind, Daniel Carlson had a terrible rookie season with the Vikings and actually missed a 35 yarder as time expired that would have beaten the Packers his rookie year. :whistling:

He probably has, but I am having a hard time remember Crosby missing a FG at the end of the game that cost the Packers a win. Those are the ones that usually get a K fired.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

You mean the drop-off between between a rookie that actually makes the team and a veteran?

True, but the difference being that a team could use a different kicker on a rookie deal ever single game until finding a decent one without any implications on the cap. It doesn't work that way with veterans.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
True, but the difference being that a team could use a different kicker on a rookie deal ever single game until finding a decent one without any implications on the cap. It doesn't work that way with veterans.

LOL.....very little implication on the Cap....but come on Cap.....if you are switching kickers "every single game until you think you have found a decent one", how do you suppose that is working out for your team? I get it, you would rather save that $2-3M/year, but that buys you a bag of peanuts in the NFL these days and IMO not worth losing even 1 game, a game that might prevent you from making the playoffs or continuing in the playoffs.

I also would like to see the final total cost added up, of going through 3-5 Kickers in a season, even if all of them were on minimum pay. Besides the monetary cost, the more important cost is the impact that has on your record, as well as the confidence that the players have in your kicker.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

LOL.....very little implication on the Cap....but come on Cap.....if you are switching kickers "every single game until you think you have found a decent one", how do you suppose that is working out for your team? I get it, you would rather save that $2-3M/year, but that buys you a bag of peanuts in the NFL days these days and IMO not worth losing even 1 game, a game that might prevent you from making the playoffs or continuing in the playoffs.

I also would like to see the final total cost added up, of going through 3-5 Kickers in a season, even if all of them were on minimum pay.

First of all you know I was exaggerating by posting that the Packers could use a different kicker on a rookie deal every single game.

For the record, the Packers would take a total cap hit of the league minimum for the season if they signed a different one every single week as long as they don't pay either of them a signing bonus or more than the minimum.

In addition I'm not talking about $2-3 million in cap space but close to $30 million over the past 10 years that could have been better used on a different position.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In addition I'm not talking about $2-3 million in cap space but close to $30 million over the past 10 years that could have been better used on a different position.

I think our math is the same, is it not? Mine was per year, you are looking at it in a more dramatic way by saying "over 10 years". So even if the Packers found THE best kicker in the NFL, you would let him walk after his 1 year free agent contract is up and start all over again, just to save that $2-3 M the following year so that you could sign.......Geronimo Allison caliber guys?

I understand your premise, but play it out with the best and worst case scenarios, it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If it did, more teams would do it and not just a kicker, why not RB, punter, etc?

D

Deleted member 6794

I think our math is the same, is it not? Mine was per year, you are looking at it in a more dramatic way by saying "over 10 years". So even if the Packers found THE best kicker in the NFL, you would let him walk after his 1 year free agent contract is up and start all over again, just to save that $2-3 M the following year so that you could sign.......Geronimo Allison Caliber guys?

In my opinion the best case scenario would be to spend a seventh rounder on a decent kicker and have him under contract on a rookie deal for four years.

FYI it's possible to sign undrafted free agents to multi-year deals as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
FYI it's possible to sign undrafted free agents to multi-year deals as well.

Right, but that will probably cost you more and we are trying to save money here. ;)

So what do you do at the end of the 1-4 year contract when you think you have found a top FG kicker?

D

Deleted member 6794

Right, but that will probably cost you more and we are trying to save money here. ;)

Undrafted free agents rarely receive more than the league minimum even when signing multi-year contracts.

So what do you do at the end of the 1-4 year contract when you think you have found a top FG kicker?

I would let him walk away in free agency. It's strange that a lot of posters agree with that strategy when talking about Jones but don't consider it a smart approach with a kicker.