A little love for Mason Crosby?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been pretty clear about wanting a kicker on a cheap rookie deal to spend the money saved on other positions on the roster. At the moment Rodrigo Blankenship would be my favorite.

Blankenship has been very accurate, but has a long of 43/44 yards. He was short on a 50 yard FG in a dome!

How well do you think that leg plays in Lambeau?

D

Deleted member 6794

Blankenship has been very accurate, but has a long of 43/44 yards. He was short on a 50 yard FG in a dome!

How well do you think that leg plays in Lambeau?

There's no doubt Blankenship's leg strength seems to be a problem and that would be a bigger issue kicking at Lambeau compared to in a dome.

As a side note, it's interesting that you decided to join the discussion about Crosby at this point again after completely ignoring the facts I brought up about his playoff performance after you asked for them as they didn't fit your narrative. Not suprising though.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt Blankenship's leg strength seems to be a problem and that would be a bigger issue kicking at Lambeau compared to in a dome.

As a side note, it's interesting that you decided to join the discussion about Crosby at this point again after completely ignoring the facts I brought up about his playoff performance after you asked for them as they didn't fit your narrative. Not suprising though.

I was just asking for the information bc I was curious. Wasn’t trying to prove anything.

You think a guy making 90% of his FG’s in the playoffs is average. I just don’t really think the point was worth discussing. Sorry to disappoint. My feeling is that Crosby probably isn’t as good as I think he is, and probably not as bad as you think he is. I think a good solid kicker is a lot harder to replace than you do. I think a kicker that can’t make a 50 yard FG in a dome would often struggle to make 40 yard FG’s in Lambeau. Wind and weather make a big difference. That’s all.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was just asking for the information bc I was curious. Wasn’t trying to prove anything.

Yet you conveniently ignored the information presented.

You think a guy making 90% of his FG’s in the playoffs is average.

Well, the facts prove that to be true compared to other kickers.

My feeling is that Crosby probably isn’t as good as I think he is, and probably not as bad as you think he is. I think a good solid kicker is a lot harder to replace than you do. I think a kicker that can’t make a 50 yard FG in a dome would often struggle to make 40 yard FG’s in Lambeau. Wind and weather make a big difference. That’s all.

I don't believe Crosby is a bad kicker either but that he doesn't deserve to be paid like an elite one. In addition I don't agree with the sentiment that it's close to impossible to adequately replace him with a cheaper option.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harder to replace than you think does not equal close to impossible.

It’s things like that, that make it difficult to respond to you. I just fail to see the point in talking to someone who’s opinion is set in stone, and the chisel has been lost.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harder to replace than you think does not equal close to impossible.

It’s things like that, that make it difficult to respond to you. I just fail to see the point in talking to someone who’s opinion is set in stone, and the chisel has been lost.

Lost? He took the chisel LOL

D

Deleted member 6794

That has been the main issue around here lately. It seems most posters, especially the ones currently moderating the site, can't deal with others speaking out while not agreeing with everything the Packers front office is doing.

In my opinion that doesn't make any sense as discussion is the only reason keeping the forum alive.

There's no point of having the board with everyone agreeing with each other while sitting around a campfire signing kumbaya in the process.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That has been the main issue around here lately. It seems most posters, especially the ones currently moderating the site, can't deal with others speaking out while not agreeing with everything the Packers front office is doing.

In my opinion that doesn't make any sense as discussion is the only reason keeping the forum alive.

There's no point of having the board with everyone agreeing with each other while sitting around a campfire signing kumbaya in the process.

When have I ever had issue with people disagreeing with me?

If you look at my posts, I clearly do not agree with everything the team does.

None of what you said has anything to do with what I said Capt.

D

Deleted member 6794

When have I ever had issue with people disagreeing with me?

You have had an issue close to every time we have disagreed with each other.

If you look at my posts, I clearly do not agree with everything the team does.

True, it's closer to 99%.

But before I ran into another issue with LTF I'm gonna leave it at that.

If you want to continue this fun conversation PM me, not that I expect anything constructive to develop out of it by any means.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don’t doubt that they could have eventually replaced Crosby with somebody cheaper, what I doubt is how easy or quick it would have been. Sometimes you pay a little more for security. They know what Crosby is, and they trust him in all situations. That’s worth something too, imo.

I'm not arguing the Packers would have adequately replaced Crosby with the first undrafted free agent kicker signed but that eventually they would have been able to achieve it and save some cap space in the process.

In my opinion it's interesting that many posters understand it's not a smart way to handle the cap overpaying for average players at other positions but somehow fail to when talking about Crosby for some unknown reason.

Link to prove it?

Thats a joke and its funny

I thought you put me on ignore :whistling:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not arguing the Packers would have adequately replaced Crosby with the first undrafted free agent kicker signed but that eventually they would have been able to achieve it and save some cap space in the process.

In my opinion it's interesting that many posters understand it's not a smart way to handle the cap overpaying for average players at other positions but somehow fail to when talking about Crosby for some unknown reason.

Was Thanksgiving and all and I needed some humor in my life

Some here provide it

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Can mods put people on ignore? Kinda seems like it defeats the purpose of moderating a forum if you can't see all the posts.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can mods put people on ignore? Kinda seems like it defeats the purpose of moderating a forum if you can't see all the posts.
I always say, mods are people too, just barely, but they qualify. Sometimes an ignore feature would probably be beneficial for that last shred of sanity they have left. They don't need to see everything, just the things that are reported really and if things are getting out of control they can probably tell from responses what is going on even if they can't see a poster or 2's posts. It's funny reading posts, but you can't see the quotes and you know exactly who is saying what anyway LOL. I'm sure I fit that category too sometimes, but hey, it's fun.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you seriously wonder, I'd say the answer is in the relativity. The bold in your first paragraph is the key. Looking at the various ways of evaluating contracts, Crosby seems to be in the 5-7 range, but dropping him down to the average ranking of 16th saves somewhere between one and 1 1/2 mil. Certainly would be better to have that available than not, but overpaying for average players at other positions can cost way more than that in absolute, not relative, terms.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts