A.J. Dillon tests positive for COVID-19 [OP from 11/2020]

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
You forgot that vaccinated people can keep their eating utensils on their forehead… handy at hunting camp (or tailgating). FREE AUSTRALIA!!!!
I’ve noticed that. My forehead often sticks to the refrigerator door as I stoop to hunt for moldy leftovers.

I’m sorry there. I’ve been lonely this bye week.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones is still better than AJ Dillon.

I think presently this is very much the case. I however, don't believe it will be the case for much longer - obviously health plays a major factor here both ways, but all things equal I think Dillon is showcasing he could potentially have a much greater impact on a game for a team than Jones...which is crazy because Jones is FREAKING GOOD.

Reaction score
I think presently this is very much the case. I however, don't believe it will be the case for much longer - obviously health plays a major factor here both ways, but all things equal I think Dillon is showcasing he could potentially have a much greater impact on a game for a team than Jones...which is crazy because Jones is FREAKING GOOD.
Does Dillon have an uncanny ability to snag passes? I see some untapped potential in the short passing game. If we get a OL or TE pulling and give Dillon a couple yards of steam in the flat this playoffs.
Watch out!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He certainly can change the way we run an offense. Jones is still more likely to hit the home run, but in games against a team like the Bucs… I’d rather see us use a heavy dose of Dillon. Their Linebackers match up against Jones better than Dillon. They are fast and try and hit aggressively … I’d like to see us counter that by running them over and wearing them out with Dillon.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:laugh::laugh::laugh::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Quote of the week....makes me laugh down under!
I spent a while down there a few years ago. Learned they also have to register their firearms and the owner is required to secure them from illegal use, (same in New Zealand) Well…. Now you see the result… ******************s. FREE AUSTRALIA!!!!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why do the non-vacciners not want it? Afraid of consequences? Don't want to be told what to do? A statement about politics? I have heard why vacciners have gotten the shot. Why don't anti-vacciners want the shot?

Many different reasons. Most of them foolish.

The three reasons that I understand are these:

1) This is a new vaccine without any longitudinal data. Some people, especially young and healthy people, would rather risk covid than endure any possible risks of getting an injection that doesn't have long term data yet.

2) They have natural immunity. There are good data to support that natural immunity is more durable and provides a broader spectrum of defense against variants.

3) The calls for boosters going on indefinitely are mounting. I've heard many people say that they got the first two (or one, if it was J&J), but they're not into getting shots every six months.

And then finally, because of how the vaccine works, it just should not matter what other people decide to do. If you're vaccinated, you have the protection of the vaccine. Another vaccinated person could still easily pass it to you. People who won't spend time with healthy unvaccinated people are irrational or they don't understand the data.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Dantes the difference you and I have stems from my belief that vaccinated people are less likely to contract covid therefore less likely to spread covid.
I agree with you on
1. Vaccinated people can still get covid.
2. Unvaccinated people can get covid.
3. Vaccinated people who get covid can spread covid.
4. Unvaccinated people who get covid can spread covid.
By reading your comments (correct me if I am wrong)
5. Vaccinated people are less likely to be hospitalized from covid.
6. Vaccinated people are less likely to die from covid.
Things we disagree on.
1. See my opening statement.
2. The percentage of hospitalizations, long term effects and deaths are not high enough to have any type of government mitigation.
3. Aaron Jones is still better than AJ Dillon.

I like this post.

I don't think there are good enough data out there at this point to tell how much vaccination helps with limiting spread. But we do know for certain that significant outbreaks of the disease do happen in highly vaccinated communities.

But if people are going to live their lives normally once again (or ever) they're going to have to encounter the virus. You can't hide from it forever. You could avoid getting it from Uncle Gary at Christmas because you disinvited him and still pick it up 2 weeks later at Kroger's. It's a literal inevitability.

So if you have taken advantage of the protection provided by the vaccine, and the virus' threat to you is now minimal, I cannot for the life of me understand why you wouldn't go back to ****** life and why you would care so much about controlling other people's choices.

So just to put numbers to this, there have been 192K confirmed cases of covid in Montana, and 2740 deaths. That's a case fatality rate of 1.43%. The best estimates are that the actual number of infections are somewhere in the 6-20X multiple of confirmed cases. Let's just be conservative and call it 8X. That would be an infection fatality rate of about 0.18%.

Now even if the vaccine only made you half as likely to die from Covid, you're talking about a vaccinated fatality rate of .009%. You're getting into numbers that are so small they're basically negligible. Go back to living your life. You take bigger risks than that all the time without even thinking about it.

And what's so funny to me is that people will want to respond to this post with an anecdote like "my aunt was fully vaxxed and died from covid." Which is literally no different than someone saying "my brother was totally healthy, got the vaccine and died-- therefore, don't get the vaccine." But the former, they want everyone to take really seriously, and the latter they want to mock (and vice versa by the other side).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The forum is censoring the phrase "n-o-r-m-a-l" above as though it's a curse word. Interesting.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I spent a while down there a few years ago. Learned they also have to register their firearms and the owner is required to secure them from illegal use, (same in New Zealand) Well…. Now you see the result… ******************s. FREE AUSTRALIA!!!!

A member of the Branch Covidians first claims that no one is having their freedoms restricted, and when it's pointed out that Australians are being forced into ******************s if they test positive, they mock their plight.

Again-- cult.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many different reasons. Most of them foolish.

The three reasons that I understand are these:

1) This is a new vaccine without any longitudinal data. Some people, especially young and healthy people, would rather risk covid than endure any possible risks of getting an injection that doesn't have long term data yet.

2) They have natural immunity. There are good data to support that natural immunity is more durable and provides a broader spectrum of defense against variants.

3) The calls for boosters going on indefinitely are mounting. I've heard many people say that they got the first two (or one, if it was J&J), but they're not into getting shots every six months.

And then finally, because of how the vaccine works, it just should not matter what other people decide to do. If you're vaccinated, you have the protection of the vaccine. Another vaccinated person could still easily pass it to you. People who won't spend time with healthy unvaccinated people are irrational or they don't understand the data.
There is a middle ground. I am vaccinated and got the booster as soon as I was able/allowed. I have a also had Covid at least once (confirmed) and I believe a couple of other times based on non proveable evidence.. such as knowledge of exposure and how I was feeling. I work around many unvaccinated people constantly and no one there has ever worn a mask … even when it was required. I am not particularly scared of getting this virus because I seem to handle it ok. I also personally know several people that have died from this virus with no known pre existing conditions. One was a seemingly healthy 35 year old man. That being said… The first time I had it it was scary. I experienced several periods of feeling like I was going to faint… strange breathing behaviors etc… Since then a subsequent exposure where two people in my household were confirmed to have it… I didn’t get tested …. didn’t see the point… but had symptoms that presented like a very bad head cold. Sore throat… head congestion etc… not particularly scary…. but very uncomfortable. My point is…. I am very pro vaccine AND a natural immunity. I do not believe this is going away, but I think it’s very important to continue to get vaccinated and possibly re exposed. I’m certainly not going to purposely expose myself to a covid positive person, but continuing to get boosters seems like a prudent course of action.

We need to stop comparing this to the flu vaccine for many reasons. One the flu vaccine is only effective against whatever particular strains of the flu that the vaccine developers chose to target that particular year. They have to make an educated guess which ones are going to be prevalent. Furthermore even when they guess right there is still a limit to it’s effectiveness. While Covid does mutate, there are currently far fewer strains than there are Flu variants. And secondly and most importantly Only a small number of people choose to get the flu vaccine, so claiming that the failure of the flu vaccine to eradicate the flu is evidence that the Covid vaccine can’t do this with Covid is a circular dishonest argument… when you also argue that people shouldn‘t be pressured into getting the Covid vaccine.

I would have preferred that none of this was in this forum… and said as much above but since the moderators apparently want it… I gave up… and responded . I’m sure I’ll regret that.

Reaction score
I don't think there are good enough data out there at this point to tell how much vaccination helps with limiting spread
This is a fact. I got Delta (I’m vaccinated) and gave it to my young daughter (unvaccinated). She recovered inside a week and was never more than medium crud lung

My wife? (Vaccinated) never tested positive (tested 2X about 5 days apart)

I’m 100% positive that Moderna protected my Wife from contraction and contagion to others as she was all over our Toddler and around me who tested positive.
Delta went through my workplace like an absolute wildfire. We shut down for a week and from my most objective observation of those infections, those unvaccinated were generally hit harder and more often (lost more time at work)

For Those that took Moderna? I’m 100% positive it helps dramatically. Pat yourself on the back you are less transmissible and they actually used our case at our Pediatrician in a case study because it was so encouraging. I can only speak for myself.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clearly no one gives a **** at the off topic nature threads go any longer if it suits there fancy so might as well join the absolute mess.

I am second in charge of an office that employs just over 30 people. No one is forced to disclose their vaccine status, but it is common knowledge of whom is or isn't just in conversations except for two employees that I truly have no clue.

The recent Delta wave ripped through our office and took out of the office 6 employees, 4 of which were vaccinated with Pfizer (2 had boosters) and two of us that were unvaccinated. What does that prove? Absolutely nothing, nor would I pretend to claim anything out of ignorance. Again as I have said multiple times:

Covid is real and it CAN suck or be nothing if you get it. *It rocked me HARD
It can and has killed.
It typically won't kill the younger and the healthier folks.
Vaccination lessons the chances of impact.
It is your choice and well within your rights to get vaccinated or not.
You'RE a **** if you intentionally disrespect someone else for their choice.
You don't love people more if you get vaccinated or wear a mask.
You don't hate people more if you don't get vaccinated or wear a mask.

Respect folks, it isn't that freaking hard.

ALSO LEAVE THE COVID **** OUT OF FOOTBALL DISCUSSIONS.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There is a middle ground. I am vaccinated and got the booster as soon as I was able/allowed. I have a also had Covid at least once (confirmed) and I believe a couple of other times based on non proveable evidence.. such as knowledge of exposure and how I was feeling. I work around many unvaccinated people constantly and no one there has ever worn a mask … even when it was required. I am not particularly scared of getting this virus because I seem to handle it ok. I also personally know several people that have died from this virus with no known pre existing conditions. One was a seemingly healthy 35 year old man. That being said… The first time I had it it was scary. I experienced several periods of feeling like I was going to faint… strange breathing behaviors etc… Since then a subsequent exposure where two people in my household were confirmed to have it… I didn’t get tested …. didn’t see the point… but had symptoms that presented like a very bad head cold. Sore throat… head congestion etc… not particularly scary…. but very uncomfortable. My point is…. I am very pro vaccine AND a natural immunity. I do not believe this is going away, but I think it’s very important to continue to get vaccinated and possibly re exposed. I’m certainly not going to purposely expose myself to a covid positive person, but continuing to get boosters seems like a prudent course of action.

We need to stop comparing this to the flu vaccine for many reasons. One the flu vaccine is only effective against whatever particular strains of the flu that the vaccine developers chose to target that particular year. They have to make an educated guess which ones are going to be prevalent. Furthermore even when they guess right there is still a limit to it’s effectiveness. While Covid does mutate, there are currently far fewer strains than there are Flu variants. And secondly and most importantly Only a small number of people choose to get the flu vaccine, so claiming that the failure of the flu vaccine to eradicate the flu is evidence that the Covid vaccine can’t do this with Covid is a circular dishonest argument… when you also argue that people shouldn‘t be pressured into getting the Covid vaccine.

I would have preferred that none of this was in this forum… and said as much above but since the moderators apparently want it… I gave up… and responded . I’m sure I’ll regret that.

I won't try to make you regret it. Generally, I think your perspective it pretty reasonable.

I'll just respond to say that the mutation process of covid will not stop, just as it hasn't for influenza, and they are already talking about engineering vaccines to match variants as they do with the flu.

Do you know of a single reputable source that claims that we could eradicate the flu if we all got the flu shot?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He certainly can change the way we run an offense. Jones is still more likely to hit the home run, but in games against a team like the Bucs… I’d rather see us use a heavy dose of Dillon. Their Linebackers match up against Jones better than Dillon. They are fast and try and hit aggressively … I’d like to see us counter that by running them over and wearing them out with Dillon.
I think one compliments the other. And maybe Dillon will be better in the 4th with a lead. But all game long...they can key on Dillon.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does the vaccine mess with the natural immunity?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think this was to my question. I think it is argumentative. It speaks to the virus instead of the vaccine.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't think this was to my question. I think it is argumentative. It speaks to the virus instead of the vaccine.

It's related to your question.

You asked why people won't get it.

Well, one reason why someone would get it is to protect others. But that doesn't really apply in this case, because the virtue of the vaccine is to lessen severity, not to eliminate transmission. Therefore, that oft-cited reason TO get the vaccine doesn't hold water with a lot of people, hence leaning some away from getting the jab.

You asked; I answered. It wasn't an attempt at an argument.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, one reason why someone would get it is to protect others. But that doesn't really apply in this case, because the virtue of the vaccine is to lessen severity, not to eliminate transmission. Therefore, that oft-cited reason TO get the vaccine doesn't hold water with a lot of people, hence leaning some away from getting the jab.

Actually being vaccinated does reduce the chances of not only catching, but passing on Covid. In fact, when you read this article, two studies alone showed a 63% and 73% reduction in it happening. The research is out there. You just have to care enough to find the whole truth. Reductions

If people want to post statements, they should also be willing to post legitimate studies that prove their point. If not, it's nothing but shooting from the hip opinion.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I did not mean an argument with me. But fair enough. Thanx for answering.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one compliments the other. And maybe Dillon will be better in the 4th with a lead. But all game long...they can key on Dillon.
Let them. Hit them early and hit them often. By the 4th quarter they will be so tired and beat up that they won’t be able to key on anyone.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let them. Hit them early and hit them often. By the 4th quarter they will be so tired and beat up that they won’t be able to key on anyone.
I'm not in that camp. I don't think Dillon is going to wear down a team from the get go. I think they will stop him at the line if it is obvious we are thinking of running the ball down their throats. And then we'll be punting. I think the 4th quarter wear down has a lot of reasons. Not the least of which is that the winning team is feeling up and strong and the losing team is down.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not in that camp. I don't think Dillon is going to wear down a team from the get go. I think they will stop him at the line if it is obvious we are thinking of running the ball down their throats. And then we'll be punting. I think the 4th quarter wear down has a lot of reasons. Not the least of which is that the winning team is feeling up and strong and the losing team is down.
Rewatch the Ram’s game.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Actually being vaccinated does reduce the chances of not only catching, but passing on Covid. In fact, when you read this article, two studies alone showed a 63% and 73% reduction in it happening. The research is out there. You just have to care enough to find the whole truth. Reductions

If people want to post statements, they should also be willing to post legitimate studies that prove their point. If not, it's nothing but shooting from the hip opinion.

I can buy that they are less likely. What I said is that I'm not sure that the data are reliable enough on that front to know by how much.

But that's really irrelevant. We can accept the 73% number if you want. The reality is that vaccinated people still catch it and pass it. Meaning that while the transmission rates are probably lower/slower, getting covid is still going to be an inevitability. People who think it's going to be eradicated are kidding themselves. Even the CDC has admitted that it's going to become an endemic virus. So getting the virus is a sunk cost. It's like when parts of the country were locked down even when the hospitals were no longer overwhelmed-- all it did was create a delay. Eventually everyone will get it.

What we should care about now is mitigation-- not how many people get it, but how sick are they? How many people die? What can be done to lessen severity? What can be done to treat them once it is severe... you know... medicine. And that's the real value of the vaccine. It protects the vast majority of vaccinated people from severe illness and death. People who get the vaccine but then won't associate with healthy unvaccinated people make no sense to me. You're protected. You're going to get exposed to the virus eventually no matter what you do.

And by the way, this is not the first post in which you've posted statements about covid in this thread, but it is the first time you've linked to something to back up your statements. So it's pretty remarkably hypocritical to scold people for making statements without citation. It's no different than @AKCheese starting this whole long discussion because he wanted to scold me for giving my opinion, when he's as vocal with his opinion as anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts